Fifa Women's World Cup

Maroon Sailor

Diadora Van Basten

I watch the MLS and they regularly use VAR to overturn the initial bad decision.

It would appear that VAR was asleep on the job today.

I think they need to introduce a challenge system similar to tennis to stop this kind of bias.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Depends entirely on whether the arm is above shoulder height or not. 

Is wording of the new law absurd? Yes. But referees and VAR can't make up their own laws, however absurd the new law is.

Alright Shaun, mind last year when Croatia pumped ye.

:yas:

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

England playing tonight ▪▪▪▪check

Walter Mitty appears to upset the natives ▪▪▪▪check

Will inevitably make a ***** of himself and scuttle away to a Newcastle forum ▪▪▪▪ check/fingers crossed.

Drifts away after this tournament ******check

Comes out of the wilderness just prior to Euro20 ****** check

48 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Nope, because it moves back towards her. 

This is trolling at its best when there is a video actually disproving the statement is on this very page.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Shaun Lawson, everyone....

Screenshot_20190614-180708_Chrome.jpg

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d03d4b86c58377a63

This should be good.

Edited by Jamboelite

1 minute ago, Barack said:

That should be removed or plenty good honest decent Scotland and Hearts supporters are going to be getting bans and suspensions by lowering themselves by reacting to that. 

Job done by Mitty.

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Jeez, he is really desperate to be relevant in the world eh? If Carlsberg did needy folk...

Edited by kila

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

IMG_4007.GIF

1 minute ago, Barack said:

We all know the level to which Shaun is capable.

Sometimes, it's nice to see it plainly in black & white.

Agree 100% but we all know it's the innocents that get caught in the crossfire.

1 hour ago, Felix Lighter said:

Bullshit, she's used her arm to control the ball and gain advantage imo.

That VAR didn't consider is a joke. 

It's a clear penalty 

Plenty comparisons 

You wont find a better example of why VAR will not eradicate incorrect and inconsistent decisions in the game.    In Scotland,  VAR is much more likely to make things worse than to improve the game.     

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Meanwhile Scotland can still qualify with a win v Argentina. 

Too early to say but still possible. 

For us not to get through we'd have to do worse than Thailand (assuming they are as bad in their second) and South Korea?

Just now, kila said:

For us not to get through we'd have to do worse than Thailand (assuming they are as bad in their second) and South Korea?

We need most likely  teams to win all their games to have teams in third on 0-2 points.

Groups E and F though just played 1game 

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You wont find a better example of why VAR will not eradicate incorrect and inconsistent decisions in the game.    In Scotland,  VAR is much more likely to make things worse than to improve the game.     

I agree.

Unless we have non OF supporting people in charge of it.

If we have Scottish people doing our VAR, it will only ever benefit 2 teams.

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

I agree.

Unless we have non OF supporting people in charge of it.

If we have Scottish people doing our VAR, it will only ever benefit 2 teams.

It's likely to be set up as a blank cheque to be every bit as selective as everything else in Scottish football.     There will be enough going against both Old Firm teams for them and others to claim that they have been disadvantaged or that the system is working,   but overall it is highly likely to follow the pattern of Scottish football systems and processes.     That can be taken to the bank.

Malinga the Swinga

Just when you thought things couldn't get worse, the world expert on being a smarmy slimy trolling joins the thread and proves once and for all that Internet access should be restricted.

He really is a dick.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

It's likely to be set up as a blank cheque to be every bit as selective as everything else in Scottish football.     There will be enough going against both Old Firm teams for them and others to claim that they have been disadvantaged or that the system is working,   but overall it is highly likely to follow the pattern of Scottish football systems and processes.     That can be taken to the bank.

Today's VAR team for the upcoming Hearts vs Rangers match is:

Barry Ferguson

Chick Young

and Rodderick Petrie

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Just when you thought things couldn't get worse, the world expert on being a smarmy slimy trolling joins the thread and proves once and for all that Internet access should be restricted.

He really is a dick.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d03d01131316e684d

The White Cockade

as clear a handball penalty as you are ever likely to see

even worse because since VAR was introduced at international level practically

every handball in the box has been given as a penalty even when totally accidental

or blasted from two yards away

just scrap VAR it's making things worse not better

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Today's VAR team for the upcoming Hearts vs Rangers match is:

Barry Ferguson

Chick Young

and Rodderick Petrie

It will be very interesting,   if introduced,   to see who does get the gig.     Current refs would make sense but current Scottish refs seems a bit like trying to put out a fire with petrol.    Same arseholes.

Alex Kintner

Didn’t want to start a separate thread but this incident got me thinking. What’s everyone’s favourite World Cup hand ball? I’m going to go for this:

PROD-Diego-Maradona-scores-his-Hand-of-Gmaradona460x276.jpg?width=300&quality=85images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzHrY6_TxjXoWNRR8OKZk

Wonder how VAR would have interpreted this one ??‍♂️

Rightly lots of chat re the handball, less so on the foul on Cuthbert which was just as obvious a pen and VAR could have cleared up.

VAR or not, the ref should have seen both. She was truly awful. Embarrassingly out her depth

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Where does the new law even mention that? It doesn't. QED.

As I keep repeating, do I think the new law is based on even 1% of common sense? No. The new law is crazy (much as, as we saw yesterday, the offside law is borderline crazy). But the law is the law is the law.

Meanwhile, Shelley Kerr's got herself a cushty gig, hasn't she? Screw the tactics up in both games. Be far too timid and far too passive in both games, only waking up when 2-0 down. Leave Scotland's best player against England on the bench today. And then have everyone blaming the ref instead of looking at her afterwards!

Remarkable.. 

I don't for a second believe the law has been so amended that it is permissible to control the ball and get away with it simply because you were drawing your arm into your body. 

Without the ref/VAR her tactics in both matches - to contain for 70 minutes before stepping it up, would have got a draw against 3rd & 7th ranked in the world.

Slim margins. She is an excellent coach and it is just as easy to argue that had her tactics been bolder early in these matches, Scotland may have exposed themselves to pacier opponents on the counter. 

The White Cockade
2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Didn’t want to start a separate thread but this incident got me thinking. What’s everyone’s favourite World Cup hand ball? I’m going to go for this:

PROD-Diego-Maradona-scores-his-Hand-of-Gmaradona460x276.jpg?width=300&quality=85images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzHrY6_TxjXoWNRR8OKZk

clearly HEADED the ball in

great goal

1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

as clear a handball penalty as you are ever likely to see

even worse because since VAR was introduced at international level practically

every handball in the box has been given as a penalty even when totally accidental

or blasted from two yards away

just scrap VAR it's making things worse not better

Well, actually, it's not VAR it's the cretins who view it, and make a decision, so really it's no different to having a ref on the park or in the VAR room. It's still down to some arseholes call. Believe me, that incident will have been looked at by the VAR officials, and deemed not worthy of the referees attention. It's all down to a judgement call. Only goal line tech is definite.

2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Favourite ? The hand of Jordan in '77 without a doubt.

4 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

He’s clearly making his body (even) smaller there.

His second in that game was decent, but the first shades it for me.

Hackney Hearts
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Rightly lots of chat re the handball, less so on the foul on Cuthbert which was just as obvious a pen and VAR could have cleared up.

Agree - it's got lost in the more outrageous error with the handball - but you're right, that was also clearly a penalty on the replays. Cuthbert was hurt in the incident and was complaining to the ref for several minutes afterwards. 

7 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Peter Shilton is clearly trying to impede Maradona by hauling his arm out of it's socket using ESP / remote viewing / voodoo.   Correct decision to allow the goal.    Shilton should have been sent off and arrested for assault.    

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Peter Shilton is clearly trying to impede Maradona by hauling his arm out of it's socket using ESP / remote viewing / voodoo.   Correct decision to allow the goal.    Shilton should have been sent off and arrested for assault.    

No need, he's had to live with pain of missing the wee genius with that punch for all these years since, Sair yin.

All roads lead to Gorgie
11 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

It looks like he is moving his hand away from the ball so it's a good goal. 

Bazzas right boot

VAR is far better than not having it. 

It never claimed to be perfect. 

What it should also do, over time is get rid of poor officials as they'll be highlighted more as well. If you get the original call wrong and keep reversing it more than the average you should get pulled for it, if you make the wrong decision even after the replays several times you should be made to look for a new job. 

More correct decisions and more  highlighting  and scrutiny of poor decisions is good imo. 

Not perfect but better than what we have just now. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Is he a Hearts fan? 

Gets involved in everything on here it seems but nothing directly involved with us. 

WC - slavering goon. 

European debates--slavering goon. 

Wwc- slavering goon. 

England stuff- slavering goon. 

Only thing directly Hearts related I can remember was his poundland psycho analysis of Craig Levein. 

29 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Well, actually, it's not VAR it's the cretins who view it, and make a decision, so really it's no different to having a ref on the park or in the VAR room. It's still down to some arseholes call. Believe me, that incident will have been looked at by the VAR officials, and deemed not worthy of the referees attention. It's all down to a judgement call. Only goal line tech is definite.

Favourite ? The hand of Jordan in '77 without a doubt.

Amazing we went 30 years convinced it was a Welsh arm.

That Shaun Lawson Twitter guy with a similar name to the boy who posts on here is an absolute fantasist. :rofl:

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

3fingersreid

Why is it both the men’s and now the women’s team go out with the attitude of 

let’s not lose the game instead of let’s go out to win it ?

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

VAR is far better than not having it. 

It never claimed to be perfect. 

What it should also do, over time is get rid of poor officials as they'll be highlighted more as well. If you get the original call wrong and keep reversing it more than the average you should get pulled for it, if you make the wrong decision even after the replays several times you should be made to look for a new job. 

More correct decisions and more  highlighting  and scrutiny of poor decisions is good imo. 

Not perfect but better than what we have just now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if VAR goes down with 'technical problems ' every time Collum referees. 

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I feel the VAR team on hand would have found the goal good. 

GL616570.jpg

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

You can only be acclaimed to be a master tactician if you are solid at the back. It's like a badge of honour for managers and coaches. Feck recognising that the defence is pap and that the best chance is to attack and go for goals.

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I feel the VAR team on hand would have found the goal good. 

GL616570.jpg

What my water tells me is you’re spot on ??

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

What my water tells me is you’re spot on ??

You must be drinking that "SMART" water...... 

I didn't see the game today as I was driving but Steven Thomson's (Radio Scotland) lack of knowledge as to how VAR IS MEANT to work was beyond unprofessional.

That said, if what has been said on here is true, which I don't doubt, then once again incompetence, towards corruption is at the fore on everything football tries to do.

Edited by DETTY29

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Are you really that clued up to judge the women's team and the opposition.?

For starters, they are in a wc. That should be enough to avoid comparison with the mens. 

They have played the equivalent of Portugal and maybe Spain (not sure of rankings, cba checking) and got beat by a single goal. 

In the Premier tournament. 

The mens team beat Cyprus 2-1, in between shipping 6 goals v two team in qualifying. 

The situations are not even comparable and I'm not sure too many on here can judge the overall quality of the teams on show atm tbh and give an accurate tactical approach that should be taken in each game. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

You must be drinking that "SMART" water...... 

They’re giving out free bottles of it at the Soul Midwifery conference I’m at ??

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

They’re giving out free bottles of it at the Soul Midwifery conference I’m at ??

Ooh, clunge Central. 

Cat amongst the pigeons. 

???

17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Amazing we went 30 years convinced it was a Welsh arm.

I was at the game, aged 17, My pal nearly got lifted for peeing up an alleyway, ran from a polis on a horse, when caught and asked why he denied urinating, but ran away anyway, he said "ah'm feart o' horses Constable." the polisman laughed and let him go. The Liverpool folk were great that night. Couldn't really see who's arm it was on the night, just glad to get the penalty. The Dalglish goal sent us into raptures, one of those nights that will stay with me forever.

5 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It's got to be Mikey "worst ever £1 spent" Stewart. 

:thumbsup: