Fifa Women's World Cup

Maroon Sailor

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Agreed they've been beaten by the rankings, reputations and hype of their first 2 opponents. Not good enough to start playing only once you are 2-0 down and the game is lost. They've taken on the plucky failures mantle bigtime...They are far too humble in defeat and the excuses about being unlucky are weak. They haven't got a winners' mentality and it shows.

Not sure they don’t have a winners mentality , individually at club level they’re winners , however at international level they need to believe in their abilities .

34 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I was quite optimistic after watching their warm up games tbh, they've certainly adopted a more cautious approach in the tournament though, almost unrecognisable to how they were in the lead up, I think they've shown both their opponents so far too much respect as when the shackles have came off they've looked far better, but in both games that has came too late.

They need to start the number 18 Emslie, she gets stuck in and has the pace and physical advantage over most of the other women.

Not too far off how I see it . Not over yet though. 

Edited by 3fingersreid

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Not sure they don’t have a winners mentality , individually at club level they’re winners , however at international level they need to believe in their abilities .

Not too far off how I see it . Not over yet though. 

They don't talk like winners and they don't play like winners until the game is lost. In my opnion it is a mental block that is holding them back. They must now change their tactics entirely and go at Argentina from the start as a draw is good enough for Argentina and will be their aim. If they waste the first 70 minutes being cautious again then it will end badly. Got to play to their strengths rather than to try to cover their weaknesses.

3fingersreid
11 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

They don't talk like winners and they don't play like winners until the game is lost. In my opnion it is a mental block that is holding them back. They must now change their tactics entirely and go at Argentina from the start as a draw is good enough for Argentina and will be their aim. If they waste the first 70 minutes being cautious again then it will end badly. Got to play to their strengths rather than to try to cover their weaknesses.

Fully agree about playing to your strength , it’s why we’ve not performed until chasing the game . I’ve got a feeling that it’s first time World Cup nerves but that will change in the Argentina game ????

4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Fully agree about playing to your strength , it’s why we’ve not performed until chasing the game . I’ve got a feeling that it’s first time World Cup nerves but that will change in the Argentina game ????

Hopefully but it is difficult to change a mindset. They've looked shambolic in each of the first halves and even first 20 of the second halves. Been very lucky only to ship 4 goals in those 140 mins...If they waste the first 70 against Argentina then they've had it...The Argentina GK looks like she is the best in the tournament from what I've seen. She makes proper saves and is brave. She doesn't have the mindfarts that all the other GKs seem to have...

Nookie Bear

If nothing else, this tournament has been a brilliant test of VAR and should give the authorities plenty to think about. 

Dutch and the French have been the best teams to watch I think.Cant tell with the USA as Thailand were cannon fodder  but in style of football I think def the French and Dutch have impressed me the most.

3fingersreid
40 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Hopefully but it is difficult to change a mindset. They've looked shambolic in each of the first halves and even first 20 of the second halves. Been very lucky only to ship 4 goals in those 140 mins...If they waste the first 70 against Argentina then they've had it...The Argentina GK looks like she is the best in the tournament from what I've seen. She makes proper saves and is brave. She doesn't have the mindfarts that all the other GKs seem to have...

She’s certainly the best of the keepers I’ve seen too. Her penalty stop was excellent , could maybe teach our men’s teams keeper how to stop them .

shaun.lawson
2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

@shaun.lawson Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Ha - I was referring to a correct offside decision in the second half before either of the pens. I'd already noted the booing - by grown men at women's football - during the England game: not just after the pen, but of Parris herself. Pathetic. Booed for the rest of the game for celebrating a goal which gave her team the lead. How dare she?!

No other fans all tournament have booed. Only some Scotland fans. The Scottish kids over there are, to judge by their singing, their enjoyment, having a great time. There's some adults over there who think they're at Celtic Park or Ibrox.

Edited by shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson
42 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If nothing else, this tournament has been a brilliant test of VAR and should give the authorities plenty to think about. 

Some people think it's FIFA deliberately trying to sabotage VAR. :laugh: 

shaun.lawson
2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Agreed they've been beaten by the rankings, reputations and hype of their first 2 opponents. Not good enough to start playing only once you are 2-0 down and the game is lost. They've taken on the plucky failures mantle bigtime...They are far too humble in defeat and the excuses about being unlucky are weak. They haven't got a winners' mentality and it shows.

I dunno if it's Kerr or if the sheer pressure of playing at a World Cup has got to them. I know it's not the same thing exactly, but I've heard it said of the Super Bowl that the choking factor is like nothing else; players involved for the first time could barely breathe, they were so nervous. 

But now it's win or go home. Paradoxically, that should relax them. They've already shown how good they are in spells... but the lack of link-up play between Cuthbert and Little has been bizarre. And Little's been playing (or being deliberately played?) so deep, it's ridiculous. She's one of the best players in the world at her best.

shaun.lawson

Chile's keeper Endler for me. But yep, Correa's right up there. And what her team's done so far against about the worst backdrop imaginable has been amazing.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/13/argentina-womens-world-cup-sexism-england

Attitudes in this part of the world to the women's game are beyond prehistoric. It shames the whole continent. On the plus side, at least loads of people here, in Argentina and Chile are watching the tournament... but they'll forget about it the moment it's finished.

Yesterday, a rumour went around that Nacional were going to announce something big. Newsflashes appeared on sports networks here; journalists decamped to their HQ. Whereupon the Nacional women's captain - whose team is used to playing in front of zero fans FFS - suddenly appeared, and declared that women's football in Uruguay had to be supported.

And the reason for all the subterfuge beforehand? Had Nacional announced that she'd be doing the press conference, no-one would've turned up. Nobody. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

avhudtheteeshirt
14 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I didn’t see this game but that is a clear penalty. VAR didn’t pick this up? That is an outrage :lol: 

The TV pundits said after the game that there was 3 penalty incidents and none were viewed by VAR?

What's the point of having it if it is not used???

It makes you want to see it in Scottish Football, another excuse for fans outrage!!!!!

Maroon Sailor
21 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

No other fans all tournament have booed. Only some Scotland fans.

That'll be the dickheads then

That booing is also from the neutrals in the stadiums

6 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

The TV pundits said after the game that there was 3 penalty incidents and none were viewed by VAR?

It makes you want to see it in Scottish Football, another excuse for fans outrage!!!!!

Can't be true, Mr Lawson assures us that var look at absolutely everything that happens.

I get that they are only supposed to intervene if there has been a clear and obvious mistake (there was), I also get that the referee has the final decision, but you would think that whoever was looking at that would think "that's definitely hit an arm, I wonder if the referee has missed it" and then the referee would be invited to look at it again. She might still come up with the same decision but surely that is what var is all about.

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

And the home nation, I heard them shouting "Allez les booo!!"

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

100% it was neutral booing. Natural reaction as every single football match in history that a favourite is running away with, the true neutral hopes for a dramatic comeback. Given the effort the Japanese girl made to block the pass it must have looked like a wrong call to those in the stadium. 

Perhaps the acoustics in the stadium played a part because it sounded like Flower Of Scotland was being booed as well. 

Explain why there was no booing at the first (non) offside that led to the opening goal?

Be interesting to see the reaction if  France, or even England get a bad call. Will their fans just say unlucky and hope the officials do better next time?

Seeing the penalty for handball given on VAR against Bolivia for Brazil, decision in Japan game doesn't make sense. 

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

What a sack of shit. I thought after the men’s World Cup it was actually going to be a good thing but the longer it goes it’s clearly going to cause even more angst particularly for the smaller teams. Those

incidents that have went against Scotland will soon be going against Hearts against the OF. No thanks??

Get it tae ****! 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Seeing the penalty for handball given on VAR against Bolivia for Brazil, decision in Japan game doesn't make sense. 

It does, but only if you consider that this competition needs Japan to advance more than Scotland...

12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It does, but only if you consider that this competition needs Japan to advance more than Scotland...

Or to minimise Scottish nationalism during Brexit chaos :whistling:

I love to think up a good conspiracy :D

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Ha - I was referring to a correct offside decision in the second half before either of the pens. I'd already noted the booing - by grown men at women's football - during the England game: not just after the pen, but of Parris herself. Pathetic. Booed for the rest of the game for celebrating a goal which gave her team the lead. How dare she?!

No other fans all tournament have booed. Only some Scotland fans. The Scottish kids over there are, to judge by their singing, their enjoyment, having a great time. There's some adults over there who think they're at Celtic Park or Ibrox.

People booing at football? The world is ****ed.... 

3 minutes ago, kila said:

Or to minimise Scottish nationalism during Brexit chaos :whistling:

I love to think up a good conspiracy :D

Haha True. But is it not ironic that ALL fans of small clubs believe that there is inherent "big team bias" and this same trend is the rationale the governing bodies and fans of big teams use to deny that there is? Haha Are we all deluded or are we all wrong? Usually when everyone says the same thing there is a valid point there!

Edited by Spellczech

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The Dutch fans are currently whistling a Cameroon player for getting fouled. Lawson will be boycotting Stroopwafels from now on...

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The Dutch fans are currently whistling a Cameroon player for getting fouled. Lawson will be boycotting Stroopwafels from now on...

I somehow get the impression he wouldn't boycott any kind of food.

17 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Dutch No 6 totally unmarked at free kick and she looks the tallest player on the park. 

And again, at the 2nd goal...

2 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

Imagine what would happen to Benny Hill

Exactly what did happen to him in the 80s...blacklisted. 

John Findlay
31 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I would give it to Hope Solo......

The Scotland job I am referring to to allay any misconceptions.

I would give it to the Dutch coach.

USA are gonna piss this tournament.

Hardly any others playing the same game as them.

A few French, Japanese and English players are decent, but the majority are pretty bad.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

People booing at football? The world is ****ed.... 

He hasn’t got a clue about football. 

4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

USA are gonna piss this tournament.

Hardly any others playing the same game as them.

A few French, Japanese and English players are decent, but the majority are pretty bad.

Have any of the English players looked good so far? Commentators will say yes, but I haven't seen it. The girl Mead is a fast runner but that is about it...

31 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Exactly what did happen to him in the 80s...blacklisted. 

Is that not a bit racist?

Need to know if I should be offended or not.

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Have any of the English players looked good so far? Commentators will say yes, but I haven't seen it. The girl Mead is a fast runner but that is about it...

Taylor, Kirby and Parris look pretty decent.

Just now, graygo said:

Is that not a bit racist?

Need to know if I should be offended or not.

I guess blacklisting is a form of discrimination, yes. Call the cops!

Just now, Lovecraft said:

Taylor, Kirby and Parris look pretty decent.

Taylor didn't do much apart from the goal and Kirby hasn't been great either IMHO. Parris was good against us, but it was our fearty women that made her look good  - she's missed as many penalties as she's scored... There is a lot of hype around the English. 

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Taylor didn't do much apart from the goal and Kirby hasn't been great either IMHO. Parris was good against us, but it was our fearty women that made her look good  - she's missed as many penalties as she's scored... There is a lot of hype around the English. 

There is, as obviously our media is covering it, and the BBC is... well, English.....  ?

The same is probably happening in Japan etc....  Although they most probably will be fairly humble.

The Japanese were playing like a young boys team, just with the way they run and pass the ball.  The Scottish looked like women.  Just different mannerisms and movement.

Edited by Lovecraft

3 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

There is, as obviously our media is covering it, and the BBC is... well, English.....  ?

The same is probably happening in Japan etc....  Although they most probably will be fairly humble.

The Japanese were playing like a young boys team, just with the way they run and pass the ball.  The Scottish looked like women.  Just different mannerisms and movement.

It is peculiar how every single game you see at least one player totally fresh air a pass or cross. Dutch no 2 did it today. English WOTM Mead did it trying to cross yesterday and I've seen several Scots do it...

Alex Kintner

Fake news. Only Scotland fans boo and jeer. Apparently.