***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I don't understand how some players seem to be giving endless opportunities to show if they can be a success whereas others seem to be ditched before being given any chance.

Exactly. You don't understand, just as I don't and the vast majority on here don't. Levein and his coaches will understand though. I would expect that often it's nothing to do with football reasons. Players are people like you and I, and they will have complex personal and private lives like everyone else. Even when it is for "football reasons", the people who work with them most days on the training pitches will know things that you and I do not.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

7 hours ago, Gilbert’s Fridge said:

Gav - who's Kevin??  He one of your pals?

Damn, bl00dy phone keeps changing levein to Kevin!

Gimme an H...
6 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I think that's a bit premature. He had a cameo role in the cup final where he did reasonably well in the role he was asked to play & managed to find the net. 

The jury is still out for me. 

Agreed.

Think people need to temper it a bit with Edwards. Let's now forget he never got a look in for months after he came back from loan.

If we want to improve on last season we need to be looking at bettering Edwards/Lee/Boz. (Out of the 3 I prefer Boz)

20 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Exactly. You don't understand, just as I don't and the vast majority on here don't. Levein and his coaches will understand though. I would expect that often it's nothing to do with football reasons. Players are people like you and I, and they will have complex personal and private lives like everyone else. Even when it is for "football reasons", the people who work with them most days on the training pitches will know things that you and I do not.

What happened to the looking into the character aspect of players as well as their footballing abilities? has that gone now as well?

Edited by wavydavy

18 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I think that's a bit premature. He had a cameo role in the cup final where he did reasonably well in the role he was asked to play & managed to find the net. 

The jury is still out for me. 

I would tend to agree but Levein and Macphee seen enough of him to pitch him in in front of other players which makes me think he has liked what he seen. ??‍♂️ The fact he prepared to let Lee leave while Edwards gets a number almost confirms that? 

Just now, wavydavy said:

What happened to the looking into the character aspect of players as well as their footblling abilities? has that gone now as well?

I'm sure it still happens. It can't be an exact science though, you would think? Take two recent examples in Jamie Walker and Olly Lee. Never happened for Jamie down in Wigan, no idea as to the reasons why, but was there something other than a physical medical check that they could have performed, that would have saved them the money? Doubt it, certainly not the sort of detailed profiling that would eliminate risk to any degree of certainty. Olly Lee - I can't imagine it even occurring to someone that a player might prefer living in Luton to Edinburgh. :lol:

Cruyff Turn
30 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It's no surprise in my view when you have a DOF/Coach who has overseen the signing of 70 players in 5 years that this sort of thing will happen.

CL seems to now prefer to sign players based on football stats rather than the tried and tested method of proper scouting where you identify the areas you need players for and find out who is available and then go and watch them play.

There is nothing wrong with taking a risk with a player and giving them a short term contract to see if they can do well such as Jake Mulraney who has come on a lot since first joining but for every one like this there are too many failures.

I don't understand how some players seem to be giving endless opportunities to show if they can be a success whereas others seem to be ditched before being given any chance.

Sounds like a lot of posters on here. 1 in 5 decent corners, one good strike, a few deflected lucky goals and all of a sudden you’d think the guy was Iniesta. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Edwards has earned his right to rejoin the squad and play in a certain way, in certain matches.

Portable Badger
53 minutes ago, Gav M said:

Damn, bl00dy phone keeps changing levein to Kevin!

Sure there's plenty on here that wish that would come true - whoever the 'Kevin' is it matters not so long as Levein is changed !!:clyay:

Dalstonjambo

Tim at my work says a few rumblings on celtic boards that the Gordon to Hearts move is back on again. Interesting. May be nothing but he mentioned it was from a few 'well connected' posters apparently.

David McCaig
33 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Edwards has earned his right to rejoin the squad and play in a certain way, in certain matches.

Until Edwards starts making consistent contributions to a winning Hearts side he's earned nothing.

No evidence that he's anything other than a bottom 6 player.

Famous 1874
1 minute ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Tim at my work says a few rumblings on celtic boards that the Gordon to Hearts move is back on again. Interesting. May be nothing but he mentioned it was from a few 'well connected' posters apparently.

I heard the same thing hence a few of my posts previously have mentioned that I have a sneaky feeling I could be back

Just now, Famous 1874 said:

I heard the same thing hence a few of my posts previously have mentioned that I have a sneaky feeling I could be back

You're Craig Gordon?

Just now, cosanostra said:

Seems inevitable that he'll be back at some stage. Means we can get shot of Doyle too.

If he doesn't come this season is it worth signing him?  Neil alexander was prime example of how quick you can lose it season to season as you get into your late 30s.  

Any rumours on who will be coming in to replace Lee and potentially Djoum?

Cruyff Turn
44 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Edwards hasn’t really had time to gel much on the park but has done ok. Still young and clearly hungry enough to improve. He could be the big surprise this season. 

Jambo 4 Ever
13 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

good news if true

cosanostra
6 minutes ago, Morph said:

If he doesn't come this season is it worth signing him?  Neil alexander was prime example of how quick you can lose it season to season as you get into your late 30s.  

Any rumours on who will be coming in to replace Lee and potentially Djoum?

He's 36 so he's definitely nearing the end of his career.

All of the ITK info i got last month was about Jamie Walker coming back and Neil McCann speaking to CL and AB about coaching at Hearts in some capacity. I have zero clue about Djoum or Lee leaving. I prefer Lee to Djoum but Djoun is obviously better when he wants to be which is not often enough.

Not really bothered about either going as long as we get better replacements in.

I like that Hun midfielder who got beaten up on holiday and told to leave Ibrox. Can't remember his name but he's a decent player. Scottish guy.

I'm a big Chris Cadden fan too. Would love us to push the boat out for him but i think we'd have done it by now if we were going to.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, cosanostra said:

All of the ITK info i got last month was about Jamie Walker coming back and Neil McCann speaking to CL and AB about coaching at Hearts in some capacity. I have zero clue about Djoum or Lee leaving. I prefer Lee to Djoum but Djoun is obviously better when he wants to be which is not often enough.

Not really bothered about either going as long as we get better replacements in.

I like that Hun midfielder who got beaten up on holiday and told to leave Ibrox. Can't remember his name but he's a decent player. Scottish guy.

I'm a big Chris Cadden fan too. Would love us to push the boat out for him but i think we'd have done it by now if we were going to.

Graham Doranns 

cosanostra
Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Graham Doranns 

That's him. 

I thought he'd be a great player in the SPL when he went to the Huns but i think he started well and then got injured. 

He'd be good for us and an adequate replacement for Djoum.

15 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

That's him. 

I thought he'd be a great player in the SPL when he went to the Huns but i think he started well and then got injured. 

Shame he will be on around £15k a week.

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

That's him. 

He'd be ok for a season or two to pass on knowledge

cosanostra
6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Shame he will be on around £15k a week.

Played about 200 games at a decent level in England so I'd imagine he would. He's 32 though so he might be in a similar situation to Naismith and Don Cowie and look for a decent last club to build something with at a reasonable wage. 

People suggested James Morrison too. 

Some decent players available this summer.

Leveins Battalion
36 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Regarding Cadden,he's knocked back 3 clubs already,I still believe were interested.

cosanostra
1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Regarding Cadden,he's knocked back 3 clubs already,I still believe were interested.

Yeah? I think he'd a great signing.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Can imagine Gordon deciding he doesn’t want to work with Neil Lennon, and Lennon deciding he doesn’t want him anyway.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

It's no surprise in my view when you have a DOF/Coach who has overseen the signing of 70 players in 5 years that this sort of thing will happen.

When you gonna change the record, Davy?

CL seems to now prefer to sign players based on football stats rather than the tried and tested method of proper scouting where you identify the areas you need players for and find out who is available and then go and watch them play.

You SEEM to be building a case on a possibility.  Do you have any evidence of that?

There is nothing wrong with taking a risk with a player and giving them a short term contract to see if they can do well such as Jake Mulraney who has come on a lot since first joining but for every one like this there are too many failures.  

I'm left wondering whether you think we should take these risks or not - bearing in mind available finance sometimes leaves us with little option.  Would anyone but a local player wish to relocate for such a short contract?  It is worth pointing out that Mulraney took longer than 6 months (my idea of a short contract) to show his worth.

Well maybe because CL and the coaches see them at training and take into account many factors like attitude, discipline etc

Bongo 1874

More players will be moved out the door before the window closes quite a few decent free agent centre midfield players available too if Djoum decides he doesn't want to stay, Mulumbo Ledley 

Official_AB

So based on all these Rumours, starting line o & Bench could be: 

Gordon 

Smith Souttar Berra White 

Haring Mulumbu

Walker J.Morrison Naismith 

Uche 

Subs: 

Zlamal 

Halkett 

Milkinkovic 

Washington 

Lafferty 

Gauld 

???! Be some team we have, strength in depth 

5 minutes ago, Official_AB said:

So based on all these Rumours, starting line o & Bench could be: 

Gordon 

Smith Souttar Berra White 

Haring Mulumbu

Walker J.Morrison Naismith 

Uche 

Subs: 

Zlamal 

Halkett 

Milkinkovic 

Washington 

Lafferty 

Gauld 

???! Be some team we have, strength in depth 

One thing is for sure - Washington will start week in week out i reckon

FarmerTweedy
8 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I think some folk on here just twist every single decision made by the club to suit their own agenda against CL.

These will be the same folk who say Olly Lee is pish.......but also say we should be holding out for a fee for him.

The decision to let Lee find a new club in England obviously suits both parties.

I suspect we have targets for the midfield and space needs to be created to allow these potentially better players sign. 

Yes, and if we did hold out for a fee, they would be slating CL for doing so, arguing that there's no chance we'd get one for him and we should be taking the chance to just get him off the wage bill while we can!

2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Yes, and if we did hold out for a fee, they would be slating CL for doing so, arguing that there's no chance we'd get one for him and we should be taking the chance to just get him off the wage bill while we can!

Exactly.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Until Edwards starts making consistent contributions to a winning Hearts side he's earned nothing.

No evidence that he's anything other than a bottom 6 player.

I think he's ok to be in the squad. No?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Edwards hasn’t really had time to gel much on the park but has done ok. Still young and clearly hungry enough to improve. He could be the big surprise this season. 

What I would call a role player. Carry out a specific plan on a specific day

49 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

More players will be moved out the door before the window closes quite a few decent free agent centre midfield players available too if Djoum decides he doesn't want to stay, Mulumbo Ledley 

Ledley is an interesting one.  He can play LB as well as MF but I'm rather sceptical because he has been available on a free since January and no one has taken him.  Personal issues, wage demands or match fitness?

I reckon he would have to take a big cut in the wage he has been used to but our terms must be better than the dole.

He may require to undergo some serious training before he became much of an asset.

41 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Well maybe because CL and the coaches see them at training and take into account many factors like attitude, discipline etc

When you gonna change the record, Davy?

I'll change the record when CL starts getting real results with decent signings.

CL seems to now prefer to sign players based on football stats rather than the tried and tested method of proper scouting where you identify the areas you need players for and find out who is available and then go and watch them play.

You SEEM to be building a case on a possibility.  Do you have any evidence of that?

CL has stated that he uses Wyscout to look for players. The fact he has signed or overseen the signing of 70 players is testament to the fact that it is not a reliable system.

I'm left wondering whether you think we should take these risks or not - bearing in mind available finance sometimes leaves us with little option.  Would anyone but a local player wish to relocate for such a short contract?  It is worth pointing out that Mulraney took longer than 6 months (my idea of a short contract) to show his worth.

There is nothing wrong with the odd risk taking signing however we seem to make a habit of it. Surely these sort of players would sign short contracts to try and prove their worth and then possibly get a longer term deal. Aidy White for example not kicked a ball in two years but we give him a two year deal. It may work hopefully for him and Hearts it does but it makes you wonder why no other clubs have taken a chance on him?

I cannot vouch for the coming season's results just yet but do you not think we have made some decent signings so far? 

But does CL only use Wyscout?  This is a tool which I am sure most managers will use up to a point.  It would be a major surprise if that's all we did - unless you know otherwise.

The odd risk, you say.  How do you tell, except with hindsight, which ones are going to be good and which ones not?   There may be many more we have considered but not taken on as there comes a limit on the number of chances you take.

Aidy White might be a risk but I'm sure the terms of his contract will reflect that and if he turns out to be as good as CL seems to think, he is a player whom we would not be able to afford otherwise.  CL has tracked this guy for some time so he clearly rates him.

Which players do you think have been given endless opportunities ahead of which ditched players?

Edited by JamboAl

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

What I would call a role player. Carry out a specific plan on a specific day

Yeah, we've had over 70 players in 5 years which is so far from good enough its not even funny. My hope is that Edwards offers low cost effective continuity. Although I'm not the biggest fan of journeymen, its not practical to have a 50/50 split between youth and 30+ year olds. So we need guys like Edwards who can offer consistency and hopefully be model pro's and help maintain professionalism within the club (diet, training etc.)  

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

You've let the cat out of the bag there Craig!

Edit: Done already! 

Edited by FarmerTweedy

24 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I cannot vouch for the coming season's results just yet but do you not think we have made some decent signings so far? 

But does CL only use Wyscout?  This is a tool which I am sure most managers will use up to a point.  It would be a major surprise if that's all we did - unless you know otherwise.

The odd risk, you say.  How do you tell, except with hindsight, which ones are going to be good and which ones not?   There may be many more we have considered but not taken on as there comes a limit on the number of chances you take.

Aidy White might be a risk but I'm sure the terms of his contract will reflect that and if he turns out to be as good as CL seems to think, he is a player whom we would not be able to afford otherwise.  CL has tracked this guy for some time so he clearly rates him.

Which players do you think have been given endless opportunities ahead of which ditched players?

We have made some decent signings, am happy with the window so far for incoming. I am however worried that we are potentially losing Djoum and Lee, Levein has said he only has one more to come in after Naismith, that suggests we aren’t replacing them both. That is a worry. I am also worried about the fact that Godhinho and Brandon will no doubt try leave this window, that leaves us one right back in Mikey Smith. Again Levein said he’s only looking to bring in one more even tho he’ll be aware of Lee wanting away, Brandon wanting away, Djoum leaving (as it stands) and Godinho leaving. That’s a worry. I hope that stance changes. 

I also agree with you with the risks and how do we tell other than with hindsight. It’s an impossible task. Am a little more concerned that it may be an issue within the club, ie training, recovery, settling in plans etc. One player not settling or finding his feet is excusable, 2 could be a coincidence, 3/4/5 is a trend. Sammon, Watt, Anderson, El Hass, Rossi, Juanma, Juwon, Martin, Swanson, Vanecek, Lee.........that’s a worry. Until Aidy White starts playing we have effectively just paid him whilst he recovers, something no other club seemed willing to do. If he struggles and leaves by mutual consent, it’s a worry. On the flip, if he is class then it’s money well spent. Am willing to see how this one plays out before I get annoyed about it. 

Whyscout is used as thats our budget. We simply can’t afford to have a huge network of scouts all over the globe to help with recruitment. So again, I agree with you that I’d be shocked if we only used whyscout. Things that worry me are things like Sowah. If Sowah wasn’t good enough for Hamilton, pretty obvious he’ll probably not be good enough for us. 

Wighton instead of Vanecek. That was a weird one, especially when it was clear Vanecek wasn’t unfit. Now we can say that Vanecek was garbage, by all accounts he was, but he was a striker and offered more in his 120 minutes for hearts than Wighton has in his 10 or so games. Wighton ahead of anyone actually ?. Lee being told he won’t feature but Bozanic being kept, I find that strange. Jambo solider not playing also weird.

Even you can’t deny that we have had some weird things going on at the club recently. Now we can argue till we are blue in the face whether or not that’s par for the course with football, but let’s save that for another day. 

tokyowalnut
14 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

We have made some decent signings, am happy with the window so far for incoming. I am however worried that we are potentially losing Djoum and Lee, Levein has said he only has one more to come in after Naismith, that suggests we aren’t replacing them both. That is a worry. I am also worried about the fact that Godhinho and Brandon will no doubt try leave this window, that leaves us one right back in Mikey Smith. Again Levein said he’s only looking to bring in one more even tho he’ll be aware of Lee wanting away, Brandon wanting away, Djoum leaving (as it stands) and Godinho leaving. That’s a worry. I hope that stance changes. 

I also agree with you with the risks and how do we tell other than with hindsight. It’s an impossible task. Am a little more concerned that it may be an issue within the club, ie training, recovery, settling in plans etc. One player not settling or finding his feet is excusable, 2 could be a coincidence, 3/4/5 is a trend. Sammon, Watt, Anderson, El Hass, Rossi, Juanma, Juwon, Martin, Swanson, Vanecek, Lee.........that’s a worry. Until Aidy White starts playing we have effectively just paid him whilst he recovers, something no other club seemed willing to do. If he struggles and leaves by mutual consent, it’s a worry. On the flip, if he is class then it’s money well spent. Am willing to see how this one plays out before I get annoyed about it. 

Whyscout is used as thats our budget. We simply can’t afford to have a huge network of scouts all over the globe to help with recruitment. So again, I agree with you that I’d be shocked if we only used whyscout. Things that worry me are things like Sowah. If Sowah wasn’t good enough for Hamilton, pretty obvious he’ll probably not be good enough for us. 

Wighton instead of Vanecek. That was a weird one, especially when it was clear Vanecek wasn’t unfit. Now we can say that Vanecek was garbage, by all accounts he was, but he was a striker and offered more in his 120 minutes for hearts than Wighton has in his 10 or so games. Wighton ahead of anyone actually ?. Lee being told he won’t feature but Bozanic being kept, I find that strange. Jambo solider not playing also weird.

Even you can’t deny that we have had some weird things going on at the club recently. Now we can argue till we are blue in the face whether or not that’s par for the course with football, but let’s save that for another day. 

Perhaps Lee has requested to leave. Maybe his misses has failed to settle and Craig has just granted his request to move on so he doesn't have an unhappy player getting his ear chewed by the wife. It's pretty obvious if Lee, Djoum, Brandon and Godhinio all go, there will be more than 1 signing! 

Not quite sure why you've listed Rossi, he was a good player who we sold for cash! 

Wighton though, no excuses for him ? 

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, Graham MacG said:

Former Hearts striker Kyle Lafferty could be set for adventure in Middle East.
Edinburgh Evening News

Do they have a bookies in Riyadh ? 

3 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Perhaps Lee has requested to leave. Maybe his misses has failed to settle and Craig has just granted his request to move on so he doesn't have an unhappy player getting his ear chewed by the wife. It's pretty obvious if Lee, Djoum, Brandon and Godhinio all go, there will be more than 1 signing! 

Not quite sure why you've listed Rossi, he was a good player who we sold for cash! 

Wighton though, no excuses for him ? 

Rossi was a really good player. Am sure we took the cash for him as he wanted to leave as he wasn’t settled etc? Maybe my imagination. 

Its not majorly obvious as Levein will know and will have known for a while that Djoum, Brandon, Lee and Godinho all want to leave or are leaving. Maybe he’s keeping his cards close to his chest.