Aidan White

We_are_the_Hearts

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He wasn’t worth the wait but he’d probably do ok in the championship tbh.

A really poor signing by CL.

He would have been a good signing in isolation.

The problem was we had a squad of punts and gambles:

White

Amankwaa

Wighton

Mulraney et al

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

• Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

He was. He was out the game a long time and I think he could end up doing ok. We need to be getting players in that can hit the ground running and are fully match fit though. There were too many players who didn’t have 90 minutes in them last season.

Yip. 

The guy is a decent footballer, no doubt. 

But no use if always injured. 

I think he was a bit unlucky as well, his newer injuries were random like getting smashed in the face. 

If Hickey goes I'd keep him. 

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I think Aidy White may be the player who benefits most from lockdown.

Last season showed that at least he was capable of playing again, although confidence and fitness still very fragile. Remember he had out been out injured for almost 3 years!

He certainly showed sparks of ability and even blistering pace on occasions.

A full pre season on top of a prolonged period of being injury free will make a world of difference to him.

Godd points. 

He was very fast and could go past player's easily, as you say a little fragile. 

He also looks about 45, is he not oobkyv28 or somthing? 

14 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

White

Amankwaa

Wighton

Mulraney et al

Yeah, I think that’s right. A lot of the guys that we brought in seemed to be big punts. No such thing as a guaranteed success but the amount of players we’ve burned through is appalling.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip. 

The guy is a decent footballer, no doubt. 

But no use if always injured. 

I think he was a bit unlucky as well, his newer injuries were random like getting smashed in the face. 

If Hickey goes I'd keep him. 

I’d think Hickey will be gone this coming window. 

12 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

White

Amankwaa

Wighton

Mulraney et al

Not understanding the logic here tbh.

His injuries and performances have nothing to do with any other signings. In isolation he’s been a terrible addition to the squad.

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Yeah, I think that’s right. A lot of the guys that we brought in seemed to be big punts. No such thing as a guaranteed success but the amount of players we’ve burned through is appalling.

Wighton is not a footballer, shocking signing as for White will work in the championship, just.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, DH1986 said:

His injuries and performances have nothing to do with any other signings. In isolation he’s been a terrible addition to the squad.

I agree with him tbh. 

Any team can have a few gambles but we had too many. 

Too many of our players had injuries concerns all at the same time. 

Also, I think white is a decent player but needs a injury free run or he's of no use. 

As our second choice lb behind Hickey last season I don't think he was anywhere near terrible tbh. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’d think Hickey will be gone this coming window. 

Yip. 

David McCaig

Every club takes a gamble from time to time  and if the White signing doesn't work out no big deal.

However, if the squad is littered with other gambles you are taking a risk.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree with him tbh. 

Any team can have a few gambles but we had too many. 

Too many of our players had injuries concerns all at the same time. 

Also, I think white is a decent player but needs a injury free run or he's of no use. 

As our second choice lb behind Hickey last season I don't think he was anywhere near terrible tbh. 

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Every club takes a gamble from time to time  and if the White signing doesn't work out no big deal.

However, if the squad is littered with other gambles you are taking a risk.

Nope......still not getting it I’m afraid.

Forget any other player.....this about White and White only.........

He was a terrible signing and his individual performances and injury record back that up. 

David McCaig
Just now, DH1986 said:

He was a terrible signing and his individual performances and injury record back that up. 

He's probably on a very low wage and was signed with the expectation that there was a very high likelihood of him never playing football again.

That he has even made it onto the pitch is a success in that regard.

He is my prediction to become an unlikely star next season.  As I say a full pre-season on top of a prolonged injury free period will transform him.

Not sure about White. Had some good moments and a lot of average performances when he played. From what I've seen of both players, I'd be going with Garuccio over White next season if Hickey has gone.

Edited by TommyC

Ah......the old “get a full pre season behind him” chestnut.......

Pretty sure he had one of those last season combined with 12 months of being free of injury.....the outcome wasn’t a good one.

johnthomas
5 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Not sure about White. Had some good moments and a lot of average performances when he played. From what I've seen of both players, I'd be going with Garuccio over White next season if Hickey has gone.

White is easily good enough for Scottish football . Seem to remember couple of injuries due to getting smashed in face ?

Doesn't make him injury prone . Well perhaps on here but in the real world ?

Garuccio looks decent but not sure Australians can travel this year ?

Transfer window probably a bit different this year but think Hickey will be off

Ah......the old “get a full pre season behind him” chestnut.......

Pretty sure he had one of those last season combined with 12 months of being free of injury.....the outcome wasn’t a good one.

I seriously doubt that White had, or was capable of, a full out pre season after his long injury history.  One would expect him to be much fitter this time round and able to participate more now.  There doesn't seem to have been any recurrence of his old injuries and although he only managed a dozen or so games I think that was more due to Hickey's emergence than anything else.  He can also play further forward, if required.

I/we don't know but, like another poster said, It is hard to believe that we will be paying him a king's ransom.  We have bigger problems than White.

Up there with one of Levein’s worst signings and a great example of his flawed recruitment approach. Can’t believe he was given a 2.5 year deal after already being there for 6 months getting paid to get fit.

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Ok,  I thought White played well in his games and was unlucky with injuries. 

He was fast, great touch and good going forward. Got stuck in as well. 

Match fitness was an issue tho. 

Football is a team sport, that might help you as well to get round the logic. 

40 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I seriously doubt that White had, or was capable of, a full out pre season after his long injury history.  One would expect him to be much fitter this time round and able to participate more now.  There doesn't seem to have been any recurrence of his old injuries and although he only managed a dozen or so games I think that was more due to Hickey's emergence than anything else.  He can also play further forward, if required.

I/we don't know but, like another poster said, It is hard to believe that we will be paying him a king's ransom.  We have bigger problems than White.

We may well have bigger problems than White.......and there are threads discussing those problems.

But as this thread is about White........

The acceptance of below par mediocre pish like Aidy White astounds me tbh. 

I don’t think we quite yet know if White will get back to his pre-injury level, if he does we’ll have a cracking player on our hands if not then I still think he was worth the gamble. Let’s not forget he was in and out of a piss poor side for most of the season.

Bunny Munro

White would be a decent left back for us if he could keep fit and injury free.

Folk saying he'd struggle in the championship ffs.

Tokyo Drifter
On 14/05/2019 at 09:37, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Any word? How long does it take to get someone fit? 

Who?

5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I don’t think we quite yet know if White will get back to his pre-injury level, if he does we’ll have a cracking player on our hands if not then I still think he was worth the gamble. Let’s not forget he was in and out of a piss poor side for most of the season.

To be fair, he fitted right in with that piss poor side, get him punted

Fort Vallance
2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

I think Aidy White may be the player who benefits most from lockdown.

Last season showed that at least he was capable of playing again, although confidence and fitness still very fragile. Remember he had out been out injured for almost 3 years!

He certainly showed sparks of ability and even blistering pace on occasions.

A full pre season on top of a prolonged period of being injury free will make a world of difference to him.

I can't agree. The last thing he needs is another four months out of the game.

Fort Vallance
25 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

White would be a decent left back for us if he could keep fit and injury free.

Folk saying he'd struggle in the championship ffs.

You're right but if your auntie had baws etc.

41 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We may well have bigger problems than White.......and there are threads discussing those problems.

But as this thread is about White........

The acceptance of below par mediocre pish like Aidy White astounds me tbh. 

This is your well worn type of response to anyone who fails to agree entirely with your opinion.

With White's injury history I doubt if he cost much in wages nor would he have been envisaged as more than a squad player.  At the time he was signed I don't think we could have afforded to sign Robertson or Tierney.

Please don't reply with nonsense about money wasted on other signings because that too has been discussed many times before elsewhere.  This thread is about White.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

This is your well worn type of response to anyone who fails to agree entirely with your opinion.

With White's injury history I doubt if he cost much in wages nor would he have been envisaged as more than a squad player.  At the time he was signed I don't think we could have afforded to sign Robertson or Tierney.

Please don't reply with nonsense about money wasted on other signings because that too has been discussed many times before elsewhere.  This thread is about White.

You don’t have a clue how much he’s earning. So you don’t have a clue who else we could have got instead.

But even if it’s as low as £500 a week it’s been a minimum of £40k to date poorly spent.

White has been a god awful signing so stop prattling on trying to argue otherwise.

2 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

Up there with one of Levein’s worst signings

He could be a one legged donkey and he still wouldn't even touch the sides of Levein's very worst signings.

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

You don’t have a clue how much he’s earning. So you don’t have a clue who else we could have got instead.

But even if it’s as low as £500 a week it’s been a minimum of £40k to date poorly spent.

White has been a god awful signing so stop prattling on trying to argue otherwise.

White was worth the risk I think. 

But the trouble is Levein took that thinking for far too many signings.

Deans Jambo
16 minutes ago, kila said:

Yip Levein thought he was smarter than rest with these type signings. Loves a gamble!

Think White would be fine in the championship thought. 

37 minutes ago, kila said:

Levein said we couldn’t have afforded him if it wasn’t for his injuries so it’s safe to say he will be on a good wage.  Another gamble on a player that backfired.  Boy would be good if it wasn’t for injuries unfortunately his career is wrecked with them. 

1 hour ago, HighTimes said:

He could be a one legged donkey and he still wouldn't even touch the sides of Levein's very worst signings.

There’s so many. Some you’ll just completely  forget we signed them.

Marty Byrde

White is just another example of the unnecessary risks Levein was willing to take with his signings. We didn't have to sign a boy who was out of the game for more than two years, one who is unlikely to be robust enough for our game. He's not the worst LB I've ever seen, he's just another 'project' player who the club allowed Levein to indulge in who won't stay fit.

You have to wonder why he looked at player's with horrendous injury records or who were obviously pish and thought yep, I'll sign him. 

3 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

White is just another example of the unnecessary risks Levein was willing to take with his signings. We didn't have to sign a boy who was out of the game for more than two years, one who is unlikely to be robust enough for our game. He's not the worst LB I've ever seen, he's just another 'project' player who the club allowed Levein to indulge in who won't stay fit.

You have to wonder why he looked at player's with horrendous injury records or who were obviously pish and thought yep, I'll sign him. 

It's as if he liked to gamble. Who knew???

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, DH1986 said:

That's with hindsight. When he was signed we were 4th equal/5th on GD just 4 points off 3rd in March 2019 after injuries had destroyed the squad. He was signed for the following season as we needed experienced cover at LW and LB. He'd been training with us for a bit. It was a low risk, cheap signing that may yet turn out to be a decent one.

Edited by ToqueJambo

I think Leveins love of gambling on injured players was born in his first stint at Hearts. When he signed Neil McFarlane which proved reasonably successful.

Ibrahim Tall
10 minutes ago, droid said:

I think Leveins love of gambling on injured players was born in his first stint at Hearts. When he signed Neil McFarlane which proved reasonably successful.

Tbh in general his ‘punt’ signings first time round weren’t bad. De Vries, Valois, Boyack, Kisnorbo, Moilanen, Gronlund, Mahe etc all came in and done a job. Unfortunately 2nd time around he went from 7/10 being good to 1/10.

White was is a decent player for the SPFL but constantly injured. We need players that are semi decent and can play at least 30 games a season. 

He is the perfect example of our horrendous signing policy during the Levein era. 

He's pish. This is the reason why we're absolutely dugshit is because we sign shite like Mulraney, White, Wighton, Uche, Damour, Halkett etc... etc... An endless list of ****ing huddies and folk are still like.... "Aye, give him a pre season and he'll be decent" ...

Gee yerself a shake man! :laugh: They are sub standard shit and are a disgrace to the jersey. Get them all punted. 

Guest ToqueJambo
50 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Tbh in general his ‘punt’ signings first time round weren’t bad. De Vries, Valois, Boyack, Kisnorbo, Moilanen, Gronlund, Mahe etc all came in and done a job. Unfortunately 2nd time around he went from 7/10 being good to 1/10.

This, although some of them were a bit more proven. Another gem was Fuller. Hartley arguable also falls into the category of uninspiring signing on paper turned into a star. It's understandable that folk who remember him from his first spell thought he was capable of finding gems and gave him a bit more leeway than maybe some younger fans.

Sow and Haring are possibly the only two he can point to as DoF and manager second time as pretty unknown players brought in and improved significantly to the point of attracting interest. Djoum, Souttar, Bjorn Johnson and Michael Smith too maybe but they already had decent careers. They did kick on well at Hearts though and put their careers on a different trajectory. He can also point towards Neilson as a good young manager whose career he launched.

The main issue this time were his biggest duds were on such long contracts. That was a new development form his previous time.

There were signs in the last window that he was changing from punts to proven players. Naismith, Washington, Walker, Halkett and co were all much more proven signings. Maybe this was a strategy to put more budget into punt type players while we were getting back on our feet under admin? Hopefully he'll tell us one day. I'd like to know the stories behind Martin, Oshaniwa, Vanacek in particular.

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 hours ago, DH1986 said:

And you don't have a clue either.  Who should we have signed instead?

I don't believe he's a god awful signing and didn't claim he was Carlos Alberta or Roberto Carlos either.

I think he's a decent squad player but certainly not up to the standard your self-entitlement requires.  So stop tryimg to argue otherwise and stop your stupid prattling.

BUT

you're about to tell us who YOU would have signed instead and also who we should sign now, oh wise one.

PS  did you say "to date" so that it covers you if he plays well this season?

3 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Levein said we couldn’t have afforded him if it wasn’t for his injuries so it’s safe to say he will be on a good wage.  Another gamble on a player that backfired.  Boy would be good if it wasn’t for injuries unfortunately his career is wrecked with them. 

Don't quite understand the logic of that.

I think CL was saying almost the reverse -- that if it wasn't for his injuries he would be on wages we could not afford.

I'd guess we took a chance on him and he took a chance on us (terms and all).

But as always the critics are masters of hindsight.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And you don't have a clue either.  Who should we have signed instead?

I don't believe he's a god awful signing and didn't claim he was Carlos Alberta or Roberto Carlos either.

I think he's a decent squad player but certainly not up to the standard your self-entitlement requires.  So stop tryimg to argue otherwise and stop your stupid prattling.

BUT

you're about to tell us who YOU would have signed instead and also who we should sign now, oh wise one.

PS  did you say "to date" so that it covers you if he plays well this season?

I said ‘to date’ because I’m hoping he leaves shortly before he costs us anymore. 

As for who we should have signed instead.....it was a season and a half ago so I’ve shredded my scouting reports from back then Al.

Lets just stick to what we know.....and that White has not been a good signing.

That will hopefully be the end of our conversation.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, DH1986 said:

We spend more than that every year on players who do little or nothing. Every club does. Was White signed as a first team regular? No, he was signed as experienced cover who had the potential to be a regular.

I think it's great we take punts on players who were injured or who have talent but fell by the wayside somehow. Some payoff big style, like Sow and Souttar recently, others might take longer (White, Clare, Wighton still tbd), others we just never hear of again. The lesson hopefully learned is not to take on too many of those "projects" on a one time.

The problem these days with the Internet and social media is every single signing is analysed to death before they've played a single game. In the old days we made plenty of punt signings but they flew under the radar. We just had to trust the judgement of the managers signing them. The 85/86 team and the good teams for the next few years after that was full of players whose careers had started promisingly but fell away or who took a step down with us to kickstart their careers, or who came from pretty uninspiring backgrounds. Today, the signings of Galloway, Berry, Foster and loads more would be analysed to death and they'd probably all be written off as having done nothing in the game to deserve a contract with Hearts.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

We spend more than that every year on players who do little or nothing. Every club does. Was White signed as a first team regular? No, he was signed as experienced cover who had the potential to be a regular.

I think it's great we take punts on players who were injured or who have talent but fell by the wayside somehow. Some payoff big style, like Sow and Souttar recently, others might take longer (White, Clare, Wighton still tbd), others we just never hear of again. The lesson hopefully learned is not to take on too many of those "projects" on a one time.

The problem these days with the Internet and social media is every single signing is analysed to death before they've played a single game. In the old days we made plenty of punt signings but they flew under the radar. We just had to trust the judgement of the managers signing them. The 85/86 team and the good teams for the next few years after that was full of players whose careers had started promisingly but fell away or who took a step down with us to kickstart their careers, or who came from pretty uninspiring backgrounds. Today, the likes of Galloway, Berry, Foster and loads more would be analysed to death and they'd probably all be written off as having done nothing in the game to deserve a contract with Hearts.

Whilst I get all this.....

It doesn’t matter if White was our only punt of that season or a one of twenty punts......he’s not been a good signing.

It was a gamble that hasn’t worked out due to his injuries and the overall level of pishness of his performances.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Whilst I get all this.....

It doesn’t matter if White was our only punt of that season or a one of twenty punts......he’s not been a good signing.

It was a gamble that hasn’t worked out due to his injuries and the overall level of pishness of his performances.

Fair enough. I think he showed some promise in a poor, underperforming team. Jury's out for me. Based on his fairly few games, I think he'd be more than fine for the championship and decent backup for the Prem. Folk judged Clare, Johnsson and others way too early. Some players look genuinely awful - Vanacek, Stockton and Grezla for example - but other times players just need to get into their stride.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I said ‘to date’ because I’m hoping he leaves shortly before he costs us anymore. 

As for who we should have signed instead.....it was a season and a half ago so I’ve shredded my scouting reports from back then Al.

Lets just stick to what we know.....and that White has not been a good signing.

That will hopefully be the end of our conversation.

I'll decide when I end a conversation!

I think White has been a decent squad signing with the possibility of more to come.  If he were at the end of his contract with still only 14 games under his belt I would agree he has not been a good signing.  On the other hand if he flourishes next season it will have worked out to have been worthwhile.

Re shredding your scouting reports that's just the "running away" sort of remark you are notorious for.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I'll decide when I end a conversation!

I think White has been a decent squad signing with the possibility of more to come.  If he were at the end of his contract with still only 14 games under his belt I would agree he has not been a good signing.  On the other hand if he flourishes next season it will have worked out to have been worthwhile.

Re shredding your scouting reports that's just the "running away" sort of remark you are notorious for.

Al.....

Have a word with yourself.

Do you seriously believe that the only left back we could dig up was an injured one ? We had 6 months from when he signed until the start of the new season and if that was all our scouting system could muster up then it’s no bloody wonder we were rock bottom for as long as we were.