Levein on Vanecek...........again.....!!

Section Q

An odd situation that doesn't reflect well on Levein.

Vanacek has played 30 games a season for the last 3 years and arrived at us having played 16 games and scoring 7 goals in the Czech league.  The Czech league is currently ranked 13th in Europe, whilst Scotland is ranked 20th. Not an exact measurement of quality but suggests that for Vanacek to play and score regularly (for a struggling side) means he was someway fit. He's also 28 - not an inexperienced kid.

Levein saw him for 2 weeks in Spain and starts him in a crucial cup game against Livingston. Why do that if he is so unfit? Why start him against Dundee a few days later? There is no consistency to Levein's version of events. Was he fit when he started against Hamilton? He only sporadically played for the reserves - why if you need / want him to reach full fitness?

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• merrymac

• Inch Hearts

• Harry Potter

• Robbo-Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Harry Potter
4 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

Certainly hope he doesn't go the way of Martin, Oshinawa etc...I'm not sure the whole Vanecek thing is solely down to Levein but it's definitely a strange situation when we're so short on striking options. 

Martin lol, im 59 and a better player, more life in the evening news.

Austin MacGlee
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

He wasn't even playing that badly, the assumption at the time was that he had just been booked and it was tactical change to stop him getting sent off.  As others have said he was far from being the worst player on the pitch at the time he was hooked.

This is the weirdest part for me mate. He wasn't exactly putting in a stellar performance but the whole team was poor in that game. I'd assumed it was because of the booking so was really taken aback by Levein's post match comments/rant. Since then we've barely seen or heard from him so it's no wonder people are speculating and rumours are developing...

Francis Albert

Some people say we are far too impatient but after half a season of expectation that Vanacek would be a great signing and make a difference followed by half a season when he has (well to put it mildly) disappointed, there are still some who have faith he will make good. I don't buy the excuses for him about how he as been singled out and demoralised. One of the things the new regime said in relation to signing policy is that we would always look for players with the right attitude and character. If an adult professional footballer reacts to criticism other than with determination to prove the critics wrong he doesn't have the right character or attitude. And Vanacek is by no means the only signing who hasn't fitted the profile... there have been a few.

Edited by Francis Albert

Austin MacGlee
5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Martin lol, im 59 and a better player, more life in the evening news.

You said it mate.

Harry Potter
Just now, Austin MacGlee said:

You said it mate.

Was from the heart bud, i played and was all fight, hearts have lost that

34 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

I think it's because he made the mistake and doesn't want to take blame himself. 

Exactly ?

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Under most circumstances I've go with this, but it's just too high profile.

The fans and press wouldn't have it and there would been questions every day at press conferences as to why he isn't playing.

I'd imagine the comments regarding confidence are a hint that he might get some game time in the next few games an he doesn't want the fans getting on his back when he doesn't score in his first 10 mins.

Like Levein did?

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Under most circumstances I've go with this, but it's just too high profile.

The fans and press wouldn't have it and there would been questions every day at press conferences as to why he isn't playing.

I'd imagine the comments regarding confidence are a hint that he might get some game time in the next few games an he doesn't want the fans getting on his back when he doesn't score in his first 10 mins.

But he done it with Edwards? 

18 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Vanacek has played 30 games a season for the last 3 years and arrived at us having played 16 games and scoring 7 goals in the Czech league.  The Czech league is currently ranked 13th in Europe, whilst Scotland is ranked 20th. Not an exact measurement of quality but suggests that for Vanacek to play and score regularly (for a struggling side) means he was someway fit. He's also 28 - not an inexperienced kid.

Levein saw him for 2 weeks in Spain and starts him in a crucial cup game against Livingston. Why do that if he is so unfit? Why start him against Dundee a few days later? There is no consistency to Levein's version of events. Was he fit when he started against Hamilton? He only sporadically played for the reserves - why if you need / want him to reach full fitness?

All of this.

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

What a tangled web he weaves !

No wonder the guys confidence is shot to pieces, how many times do we have to tell the press and fans his confidence is low let the guy get on with it 

26 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

They’ve both been consistently shit as well. Some players get loads of rope and others absolutely none. 

Yip. We’re all left wondering why Vanacek isn’t getting more of a chance but it sticks out to me there’s been words. 

Maybe words of dissent from Vanacek that even after an apology (if there’s been one) Levein has remained stubborn. 

I totally get that from a managers point of view but how long do you alienate a player? Was it that bad there’s no coming back from it?

Like you point out, others get games every week who have been regularly ,  well, pish!

But as some other posters point out it’s the only options we have.

So why not give him a break?

Edited by Debut 4

gashauskis9
3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

True. Mind you Naismith didn't turn up two stone overweight with an arse the size of a hoose....

Robbo came back from Newcastle like that ?

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Yip. We’re all left wondering why Vanacek isn’t getting more of a chance but it sticks out to me there’s been words. 

Maybe words of dissent from Vanacek that even after an apology (if there’s been one) Levein has remained stubborn. 

I totally get that from a managers point of view but how long do you alienate a player? Was it that bad there’s no coming back from it?

Like you point out, others get games every week who have been regularly ,  well, pish!

But as some other posters point out it’s the only options we have.

So why not give him a break?

Must have done something terrible to have Wighton and a 37 year old ahead of him 

1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

Must have done something terrible to have Wighton and a 37 year old ahead of him 

He obviously doesn't fancy Wighton or Maclean as centre forwards either as he's spoken about playing someone "out of position" if Uche doesn't make the final. Maclean and Wighton are usually off the striker.

He might end up playing Haring up front again in the final like he did in the first Hibs home game which would be a disaster.

Kylejordan
50 minutes ago, Legend Claws said:

What makes you think he'll come good?

Honestly haven’t a clue if he will come good. But right now we have been persevering with Wighton who has played more games but still hasn’t made an impact.As divided as people’s opinions are we saw with Sean Clare though that give the guy some game time and let him know you have the managers backing then that’s how his confidence will come back. The lad didn’t help himself with his holiday before and turning up unfit really didn’t help matters but right now I really hope he does come good. 

Levein has always liked freezing out players - trying to sicken them.

He is quite skilful at it too - good at getting the fans to turn on the player in question.

14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yet another shambles of a signing. Our recruitment department is hopeless.

Take a bow John Murray.

Ibrahim Tall
42 minutes ago, bistokid said:

This.

Leveins full of shit. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

I remember when "Vladflu" used to be a cheap shot at Mr Romanov.

"Lack of fitness" seems to be Levein's version of it.

Section Q
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

Only one person culpable for this.  Poor management from Levein.

Pretty much this, and despite our numerous coaching staff, not one of them gave him a routine to tick over when he was waiting to join us, and none of them have managed to get him match fit in nearly five months.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Looks skinny to me but im tall, needs my fight and will to win,  

?

34 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Robbo came back from Newcastle like that ?

:sadrobbo:

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

?

Think its lost on our imports like golf mate i like to win, need help on my 64 degree  

davemclaren
43 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

The whole team is lacking confidence. One more shouldn’t make any difference 

A good point. ?

levein took him off after he gave the ball away against Dundee and they went on to score. Similarly, he got subbed just after hitting the bar away to Hamilton. On such moments your football career hangs it seems. 

2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Dont know where this two stone overweight stuff has come from?

Does anyone realise how much you would have to eat to put two stone on in a month!

In his first game he didnt look brilliant, but I never thought he looked massively overweight.

Not sure where the 2 stone is quoted from but is it possible he was 2 stone heavier than when he was weighed at his medical in the summer?

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Think its lost on our imports like golf mate i like to win, need help on my 64 degree  

PM me bud, done a wee bit coaching over the years

1 minute ago, RS86 said:

Not sure where the 2 stone is quoted from but is it possible he was 2 stone heavier than when he was weighed at his medical in the summer?

And then promptly played him in the first game, and lasted ninety, and set up a goal.

WheatfieldWarrior
45 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I'm not entirely sure that I understand the point being made, but Edwards was really a squad player, in the area that we have the fewest injuries, him not being selected ahead of others isn't a surprise. 

Tynecastle Valhalla

I reckon he’s the sort of player that doesn’t stand out in training but comes alive in the games on a full pitch 

he just needs a run of games and some service and he should come good 

5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Need him for the final

And he can only have two stone to lose, max!

Get it done

Harry Potter
16 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Pretty much this, and despite our numerous coaching staff, not one of them gave him a routine to tick over when he was waiting to join us, and none of them have managed to get him match fit in nearly five months.

Hate to lose it on Craig bud , but saturday finished me, a queue to the hearts bar done me

6 minutes ago, merrymac said:

And then promptly played him in the first game, and lasted ninety, and set up a goal.

Was a good pass for the goal too and some finish from Clare. Never saw him at Dundee when he was hooked but surely couldn't have been that bad?

siegementality
4 hours ago, Bauld said:

Trying hard to pin as much as you can on Levein there but the fact is Vanecek is 100% to blame.

For the record Levein wasn't happy about using Clare, he stated more than once that he was forced to play him due to having no other option but didn't want to do it because he wasn't ready.

Vanecek ****ed off on holiday and came back in terrible shape. He completely underestimated the demands of our league and clearly assumed he could just show up and piss it. 

Instead he found himself a mile out of his depth due to his condition and lack of preparation. 

He also found himself soft as fresh shite when coming up against our leagues hardened defenders and midfielders who aren't afraid to go to war. 

Levein hasn't signed a dud but he has signed a moron. When he was fully fit for Teplice he was scoring goals and while I never rated his ability to carry the ball he did appear to be decent at moving it quickly to keep counter attacks going.

Cup final aside it's too late for him now. May as well just draw a line at seasons end and try get a fresh start in preparation for next season. 

A lot of supposition there.

Here’s a question. If he was so unfit and unprepared how did he manage to pull the wool over the eyes of all the staff - including Levein - at a training camp in Spain? 

They had a week to assess his fitness and deemed him fit enough to start against Livingston.

I am not condoning Vanecek, but to say he is 100% to blame is wrong.

As much as some people would like to absolve Levein from any responsibility that can’t happen. Levein signed him. Levein hung him out to dry. Levein’s management of Vanecek has been dreadful.

Edited by siegementality

indianajones
5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

His confidence will be dented even more after standing without a sniff on goal the entire game.

Agreed. 

A complete joke from everyone involved. Embarrassing. 

Harry Potter

Just now, RS86 said:

Was a good pass for the goal too and some finish from Clare. Never saw him at Dundee when he was hooked but surely couldn't have been that bad?

Clare is lazy, im sorry  but should take his chance , problem wi football  now, no fight

3 minutes ago, RS86 said:

He was, but so were most of the rest. Not bad enough to do what CL did IMO

King Joffrey

Levein has 2 criticisms. 1. He wasn't and isn't fit. 2. He isn't physical enough for our league. 

On fitness levels we spent months talking about him being Lafferty's replacement and tried to get him early. Why weren't we monitoring his fitness BEFORE he got here given we were looking for him to start as a first team player on arrival? We must have had some access to him and been in regular contact? 

I'm more critical of the second point as it sums up our recruitment failings. Levein wanted a battering ram. He signed someone who isn't that player then blames the player. He was quoted as saying vanecek needs to realise in Scotland the ball is in the air. Yes. Cos we're kicking it there. 

4 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

Levein has 2 criticisms. 1. He wasn't and isn't fit. 2. He isn't physical enough for our league. 

On fitness levels we spent months talking about him being Lafferty's replacement and tried to get him early. Why weren't we monitoring his fitness BEFORE he got here given we were looking for him to start as a first team player on arrival? We must have had some access to him and been in regular contact? 

I'm more critical of the second point as it sums up our recruitment failings. Levein wanted a battering ram. He signed someone who isn't that player then blames the player. He was quoted as saying vanecek needs to realise in Scotland the ball is in the air. Yes. Cos we're kicking it there. 

Well said.

I think CL is digging a hole for himself on both fronts.

1. Spent two weeks in Spain being assessed, and then started the first game back. Why was his apparently total lack of fitness not spotted before then?

2. Obviously a mistake in recruiting the type of player, then blame the player. Aye very good.

After reading the posts on this thread all it tells me is Levein & co are out of their depth and 

are wasting our money of players that are in need of rehabilitation. We sign players who 

haven’t played for ages because of injury, form, contract disputes, retired, died and ghosts.

I’m sure we have a player on the payroll that Levein had exhumed. Now is the time for a 

new management team to clear the decks of players who either don’t play or are not good 

enough for Hearts. I know Levein is Cathro in disguise.

39 minutes ago, merrymac said:

He was, but so were most of the rest. Not bad enough to do what CL did IMO

Was it Levein who subbed on Boyack and then took him back off again one time? I might have made that up, memory isn't what it was lol

Harry Potter
43 minutes ago, siegementality said:

A lot of supposition there.

Here’s a question. If he was so unfit and unprepared how did he manage to pull the wool over the eyes of all the staff - including Levein - at a training camp in Spain? 

They had a week to assess his fitness and deemed him fit enough to start against Livingston.

I am not condoning Vanecek, but to say he is 100% to blame is wrong.

As much as some people would like to absolve Levein from any responsibility that can’t happen. Levein signed him. Levein hung him out to dry. Levein’s management of Vanecek has been dreadful.

He was on holiday, think im finished wi him,  honestly ripped the pish wi us.