Ann Budge

DB-14

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yet he is one game away from being one of our more successful managers. Such is football. 

Whether we win the cup or not the fact remains - football under Levein has become unacceptable to very many Hearts fans.

I hope he wins the cup and bows out in a blaze of glory!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Francis Albert

• DB-14

• graygo

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Whether we win the cup or not the fact remains - football under Levein has become unacceptable to very many Hearts fans.

Totally agree. 

Support appears to be divided on his management and winning the cup would allow him to leave on a high.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

He’ll be unlikely to have a better season that’s for sure. 

Jambos_1874
17 minutes ago, OTT said:

Did I not explain that?

For me, its too top down. Authoritarian, 'Do as I say'. I think its far too confrontational. I don't believe the way she is going about it will yield the results she wants. I think her approach has left a lot of fans confused on what they can and cannot do.

You're free to disagree, but I think the evidence is there. Our support is getting more and more divided over issues like this. I think there is a reason owners and chief executives don't get involved in this sort of thing and its for good reason.

I think she's being extremely naive in thinking she alone can fix this issue. It goes well beyond Tynecastle's walls. 

She owns the club and therefore she can legitimately take the "do as I say" approach. Other clubs (read the OF) pay lipservice to sorting out fan misbehaviour but don't really do anything. AB has taken a tough approach as it is the only way thay we will get rid of these disgracrful cretins in our support.

Fans confused as to what they can do? Even the morons referred to above know what they can't do. Don't behave in a racist, sectarian or homphobic way and don't use violence. If they can't understand that then they need to be educated.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Jambos_1874
25 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Why can we not get it right on and off the field at the same time?. Why does the main function of Heart of Midlothian need to suffer, to get it right off the field?

Building any business is providing what Customers want. There is no point in opening a brand new store, if it does not attract customers.

You need to build up funds to allow you to buy better players. You need to build up funds to invest in the facilities and youth to allow for talent to come through. This doesn't happen overnight. Building a bigger stadium to increase capacity and income, for example, will allow that - one follows the other. I think you are misguided if you think everything can be done at once. I'd rather suffer in the short term in order to reap long term rewards. We need to learn from many past mistakes.

Edited by Jambos_1874

12 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

2 trophys realisticly on offer.

1 semi, 1 final.

That's improvement or are we going all Hibs and demanding flair ahead of Silverware as a gauge to suit these days? 

Look who we have played to get to the semi and final respectively.

Our football has been largely awful to get to these latter stages. If you constitute eye bleeding awful football where we’ve failed to get results in the league since October as success then that’s absolutely fine.

shaun.lawson

- A fine owner

- A fine businesswoman

- Completely undeserving of the caricatures I see about her at times

- Together with FOH, has fixed, completely, not just one, but two fundamental, long term problems which the club had grappled with for decades: the finances and the stadium

- Has made entirely understandable but misguided football-related decisions

- And now the first 5 years are coming to a close, needs to sit down, reflect, and make changes: not only to the management team, but to the whole strategy of the club. If she's not qualified to do that, we need someone in on the footballing side of things who is.

But overall: has the good massively outweighed the bad in her case? Hell yes.

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, 1874Gorgie1874 said:

business side of things she’s great at. The football side she is clueless. 

Which is, incidentally, uncannily like the owner of my English club.

Both women. Both greatly admired. Both intent on creating nice family community clubs in their warm, friendly, homespun image. Both done great on the commercial side of things (Norwich weren't even getting 14000 gates when we finished 3rd in the Prem and beat Bayern Munich; we've been getting 25000 plus for over a decade now).

Both impossible to dislike on a human level. Both overseeing clubs whose progress has been funded by fans (Norwich's bond scheme, which is gonna deliver a 25% promotion bonus for investors, was fully taken up in less than 24 hours).

Both utterly clueless about football and therefore dependent on others to get those decisions right. Both too trusting of and loyal towards those who get those decisions wrong. Both believers, above all, in stability - but liable to take that to extremes, with very bad consequences on the pitch.

Norwich only started moving forward after Delia Smith and her husband brought in properly qualified people who could make all the key footballing decisions. That was the key. She's done that twice now. Ann Budge needs to do the same. Say "thanks for everything Craig, but we're gonna take things in a different direction now", and not allow sentiment to colour her thinking. In football, when it comes to big decisions, it can't. Whenever it does, things usually go wrong (Exhibit A: Man Utd and Solskjaer).

JamboGraham
7 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Look who we have played to get to the semi and final respectively. Our football has been largely awful to get to these latter stages.

With three trophies in the best part of sixty years I couldn’t give a damn if we played Tynecastle Nursery Under 3’s and they took us to extra time and penalties. There is one requirement in cup football, win the tie and get to the next round.

It’s embarrassing that we have a growing number of supporters who no longer simply enjoy winning football matches. It has to be the right type of win delivered by the correct person. Pathetic!!!!

3 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

With three trophies in the best part of sixty years I couldn’t give a damn if we played Tynecastle Nursery Under 3’s and they took us to extra time and penalties. There is one requirement in cup football, win the tie and get to the next round.

It’s embarrassing that we have a growing number of supporters who no longer simply enjoy winning football matches. It has to be the right type of win delivered by the correct person. Pathetic!!!!

You state the obvious in the first part of your post however you totally miss the point. Some on here cite getting to the SC final as progress under Levein - the point is with the draw we had anything less than getting to the final would have been appalling.

As for winning games we have done poorly in that regard particularly away from home with losses to teams at the bottom end of the table.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

It is clear that 'Queen Ann' is getting less and less popular. You only have to go as far as this forum to see this. I imagine this time next year it will be more so.

You can't argue with her successfully carrying out all the obligations as promised and securing additional money for the main stand, as well as the cash injection earlier in the season from the "mystery" benefactors. I think she will however, be judged on how she handles the Levein situation, which is getting out of hand now.

Famous 1874

Should be kept to deal with the commercial side of the club but nothing to do with the footballing side of operations. We are going backwards and her trust in Levein is causing it. 

Ann Budge is a fabulous lady who every Jambo should respect for what she has done for our club. 

The next big decision she has to make, in my opinion  is concerning our management of the team which she must know is just not good enough. 

Famous 1874
27 minutes ago, 1874Gorgie1874 said:

business side of things she’s great at. The football side she is clueless. 

:spoton:

9 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

You state the obvious in the first part of your post however you totally miss the point. Some on here cite getting to the SC final as progress under Levein - the point is with the draw we had anything less than getting to the final would have been appalling.

As for winning games we have done poorly in that regard particularly away from home with losses to teams at the bottom end of the table.

And yet in many of the past 30 years we have been knocked out of both cups early, often against teams we should expect to beat on paper.

Cup football is all about winning each tie and getting to the next round, and who you play is irrelevant.  I remember going to Dunfermline the year after we won the cup in 98 to defend our trophy and playing garbage and losing.

I'm not buying into this "Anything less than getting to the final would be appauling" garbage.  In 2012 we were lucky not to get emptied by Auchinleck at Tynie but who cares.

As for results away from home, I think we have improved on our record from recent seasons, which granted wasn't much of a target.

Edited by frankblack

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

And yet in many of the past 30 years we have been knocked out of both cups early, often against teams we should expect to beat on paper.

Cup football is all about winning each tie and getting to the next round, and who you play is irrelevant.  I remember going to Dunfermline the year after we won the cup in 98 to defend our trophy and playing garbage and losing.

I'm not buying into this "Anything less than getting to the final would be appauling" garbage.  In 2012 we were lucky not to get emptied by Auchinleck at Tynie but who cares.

As for results away from home, I think we have improved on our record from recent seasons, which granted wasn't much of a target.

I thought Motherwell knocked us out at Fir Park! ?

I don’t expect you to buy into anybody’s posts who do not buy in to Levein’s management Frank.

JamboGraham
4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Why does everything have to be Levein, Levein, Levein, Levein...we are in a cup final!!! For the best part of sixty years we have managed to balls up in the Scottish Cup in quite spectacular ways against dozens of teams where not getting through to the next round actually was appalling because it happened! This time we have managed to avoid making an arse of it and actually get to the final. That’s progress for our club, I don’t care if Levein delivered it or not, this is progress on decades of walking the dog on cup final day!

10 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Indeed but thankfully the cup is a different competition and not being satisfied winning a cup tie because it was the wrong type of win, or the wrong opposition, or delivered by the wrong person is pathetic!

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If you can't accept it was a penalty kick all the way to the final and anything less than getting there would've been catastrophic failure, then you're deluded!

Just now, JamboGraham said:

Why does everything have to be Levein, Levein, Levein, Levein...we are in a cup final!!! For the best part of sixty years we have managed to balls up in the Scottish Cup in quite spectacular ways against dozens of teams where not getting through to the next round actually was appalling because it happened! This time we have managed to avoid making an arse of it and actually get to the final. That’s progress for our club, I don’t care if Levein delivered it or not, this is progress on decades of walking the dog on cup final day!

Indeed but thankfully the cup is a different competition and not being satisfied winning a cup tie because it was the wrong type of win, or the wrong opposition, or delivered by the wrong person is pathetic!

Yeah - so you said the first time! ?

1 minute ago, JyTees said:

If you can't accept it was a penalty kick all the way to the final and anything less than getting there would've been catastrophic failure, then you're deluded!

Many on here are in denial on that!

JamboGraham
3 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yeah - so you said the first time! ?

Its worth repeating....

Cup Final = Good Thing for Hearts

No Cup Final = Bad Thing for Hearts

sandylejambo

I don't think she has let us down yet,  if she lets the situation with Craig Levein go on into next season she will have,  I can see her point of view in not getting rid of the manager now, ( I don't share her view), she will also let us down if she lets the current manager pick the next one from his existing staff, I will withhold any criticism of Mrs Budge until the end of the season. Give her a chance guys, she has been with Craig Levein from the start, it can't be easy for her.

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

JKB is not a reliable gauge of the wider support, thankfully.

People forget that. I’ve always thought we’re more quiet grumblers than the ranting motormouths that infect this place.

She will give Levein another window with some cash from the cup but I do fear she is just kicking the can down the road with him. 

I repeat my belief that CL and Naismith will be our coaching supremos next season with Naismith taking primary responsibility for the 1st team along with McPhee.

We shall see.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

We lost to Motherwell in 1999. Dunfermline knocked us out in 2007.

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

It is clear that 'Queen Ann' is getting less and less popular. You only have to go as far as this forum to see this. I imagine this time next year it will be more so.

Good post and I echo most of it.

For me, I dislike Budge for many reasons and the main one is that I don't agree with her bottom line. Winning games is simply not her main interest, to me it is all about her and the club's image.

I also feel that more and more each day this is becoming her club and that is not how it should be.

We are a soft touch on the field due to her and she has made Tynecastle a library.

Not just mine XB, that is my point. 

Especially when there is about 300 people dotted about in high vis jackets from Lothian and Borders (I refuse to call it Police Scotland) and G4S.  I am starting to think Ann just likes to publically name and shame our support to make her look good.

She is going nowhere regardles.

For someone who has openly declared that you've lost interest in Hearts, you sure have a lot to say, and it's all negative.

It's easy to criticise.  What are your suggestions?  What are your ideas on how to make Hearts better?

4 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

JKB is not a reliable gauge of the wider support, thankfully.

OK.  But if you wanted to gauge the attitudes of the 'wider support', where would you go to get it?

11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

For someone who has openly declared that you've lost interest in Hearts, you sure have a lot to say, and it's all negative.

It's easy to criticise.  What are your suggestions?  What are your ideas on how to make Hearts better?

My head hurts reading those negative comments.

I don’t like AB as she is a woman would of been quicker

She has made Tynecastle a library. Utter crap - Thats a view more akin with comparing Tynecastle in 1989 to now than 15 years ago to now. If we were playing better there would be a better atmosphere. We only really see it in big games when we are competing now. Its been like that for a long time. 

How has AB made us a soft touch on the pitch. Thats just a ludicrous argument. Closing lower G i think was the right move. My mate told her kid she was gonna burn her book if she caught her reading it again after lights out. Caught her reading it - burnt it. Crazy example but you have to draw a line and when its crossed stick to your guns. We are scrutinised like crazy for behaviour and we need to be seen to being proactive. 

The 300 Police Scotland and stewards have to deal with things in a certain way that will be a policy laid down by police possibly the council aswell. They have a nationwide policy treated as everything is now with the police - as though its in Glasgow) 

17 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

OK.  But if you wanted to gauge the attitudes of the 'wider support', where would you go to get it?

Diggers ? Or going by this place recently go to Easter Road and you’ll get a result similar to how they go on here.

A lot of Hearts fans won’t come on here because of the idiots. Its like a confined twitter at times. All anyone says is oh they have this opinion they have that opinion. Safe to say there is a growing discontent but outside of ST sales its hard to judge how apathetic the support is. You most definitely can’t judge their opinions of AB by the ST sales though. 

SpruceBringsteen

Think a lot of people are just locked in for life to the status of hating the owner whomever it may be tbh.

Finlay James
5 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

You need to get it right off the field first before you can realistically build the platform for long-term success.

Is the only answer required on this topic.

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We lost to Motherwell in 1999. Dunfermline knocked us out in 2007.

Cheers.  I was at both of those and got the order wrong but the Dunfermline one angered me more as our Motherwell away record has never been great.

My point stands that in the cup we are usually shocking and knocked out early but if not on a rare occasion we make a final/win it.

I'll take progress in the cups to the latter stages over a spirited early knock out.  How we get there isn't important.  These are where you want to be as a Hearts fan as winning the league isn't going to happen any time soon.

Finlay James
3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Many on here are in denial on that!

The fact that it is the many who get it should tell you something mate i.e. it's the minority who don't.

Ann & Craig have been a revelation for our club and she has rightly stuck by him as he guides us through the biggest period of change in our history.  5 years in, it's now time to bring in fresh ideas but we have the small matter of a cup final to navigate and for getting us there, no matter of the opposition, Craig Levein deserves everyone's 100% backing.

Personally I think some fans are spoiled and have developed some sort of warped entitlement that the club should be winning trophies and finishing top 3 every year. 

Both of those being rare occurrences for us in reality.

This isn't an abnormal season for us. We jump up and down the league positions like most of the other top 6 clubs quite regularly.

Perhaps in the future as the revenue increases we will have a team who regularly finish near the top but that is still a work in progress.

Diego Hamish
6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Really? I would say it is. The largest Hearts forum and has

Thanks Anne, but its time you ****ed off and get someone proper in charge 

queensferryjambo
6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

She really isn't even though you are clamouring for that to be true. All that is clear is that Hearts malcontents feel they can voice their opinions more on here just now due to performances on the pitch. Which of course is their prerogative.

Thankfully this place is absolutely not a reflection of the opinions of most Hearts supporters. Anyone with any sense would realise that the money generated and new investment into the club will be paying for infrastructure just now. 

Queen Ann will still generate these levels of investment for the club and hopefully get more investment. Once the infrastructure is in place, investment in the club will go to investment in the team. Hearts will then IMO genuinely compete in Scotland for honours. Unfortunately too many people lack any kind of patience to wait for any of her good work to come to any real kind of fruition.

Sad you and other supporters can never see anything positive about this club.

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

She really isn't even though you are clamouring for that to be true. All that is clear is that Hearts malcontents feel they can voice their opinions more on here just now due to performances on the pitch. Which of course is their prerogative.

Thankfully this place is absolutely not a reflection of the opinions of most Hearts supporters. Anyone with any sense would realise that the money generated and new investment into the club will be paying for infrastructure just now. 

Queen Ann will still generate these levels of investment for the club and hopefully get more investment. Once the infrastructure is in place, investment in the club will go to investment in the team. Hearts will then IMO genuinely compete in Scotland for honours. Unfortunately too many people lack any kind of patience to wait for any of her good work to come to any real kind of fruition.

Sad you and other supporters can never see anything positive about this club.

Wow! Given the monopolistic status of the game in Scotland at present, that is some call!

queensferryjambo
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Good question and there is no real answer.

All I can say is I go to Hearts games, shareholders nights, sponsors night, POTY, Hall of Fame night etc. and socialise with Hearts supporters and have never heard anyone ever talking about Ann Budge in the way she has been spoken about by some on here. Yes I have heard criticism of Levein and the team but Ann Budge no.

i wish jj was my dad
43 minutes ago, Diego Hamish said:

Thanks Anne, but its time you ****ed off and get someone proper in charge 

A shining beacon of arseholery. Almost as well thought out as your contrubution to the Billy McNeil thread.

queensferryjambo
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Wow! Given the monopolistic status of the game in Scotland at present, that is some call!

I believe it. I honestly believe we will be regularly challenging for cups and be in the mixer in the league in years to come. Brendan Rodgers took Celtic to a different level. I don't foresee that kind of monopoly holding with the likes of Lennon and I think Celtic would need a real coup to genuinely replace Rodgers. 

As a side note teams winning cups in the last ten seasons has been the most varied outside the Old Firm since I have followed football so not quite as monopolistic as you think - Hearts, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Hibs, Inverness, Dundee Utd, Ross County and Aberdeen have all won a cup in this time period. Not sure there has been a decade when more different teams have won trophies in the history of the Scottish game. 

We will be competing for silverware in exactly one months time. Whether we are even close to being ready time will tell on that one.

One thing I do know just like the finals in the 90s if you keep chapping on the door it will eventually open.

Geoff Kilpatrick
13 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

I believe it. I honestly believe we will be regularly challenging for cups and be in the mixer in the league in years to come. Brendan Rodgers took Celtic to a different level. I don't foresee that kind of monopoly holding with the likes of Lennon and I think Celtic would need a real coup to genuinely replace Rodgers. 

As a side note teams winning cups in the last ten seasons has been the most varied outside the Old Firm since I have followed football so not quite as monopolistic as you think - Hearts, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Hibs, Inverness, Dundee Utd, Ross County and Aberdeen have all won a cup in this time period. Not sure there has been a decade when more different teams have won trophies in the history of the Scottish game. 

We will be competing for silverware in exactly one months time. Whether we are even close to being ready time will tell on that one.

One thing I do know just like the finals in the 90s if you keep chapping on the door it will eventually open.

We are currently "challenging" for a cup so I fail to see what is going to be so different to be "regularly" challenging for a cup in terms of investment. We actually need a better team and a better manager, not more "investment".

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

New manegement team is a given. Modernise our style of play. All Levein's physical hoofball is doing is getting us injuries and defeats.

We also need Ann Budge to put all her vanity and ancillary stuff to the side or at least just not focus on it quite as much. We are a football team and the bottom line is winning. Take care of this and the money follows. Tynecastle needs to be a place teams fear not for Ann to host high tea to her Bridge club. If fans misbehave then employ a new security firm (do G4S actually do anything?)and do not punish innocents and make our ground more pleasant for away fans.

We need to become a tough winning team not a team looking for the next progressive cause to fight. There are many ways to fight the wrongs of the world but Saturday 3pm is not the stage. Sure, do our bit as it matters but let us not make it our raison d'etre.

Edited by i8hibsh

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

She is a pale second to Mr Romanov.

But where do they both stand against Wallace Mercer?

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

New manegement team is a given. Modernise our style of play. All Levein's physical hoofball is doing is getting us injuries and defeats.

We also need Ann Budge to put all her vanity and ancillary stuff to the side or at least just not focus on it quite as much. We are a football team and the bottom line is winning. Take care of this and the money follows. Tynecastle needs to be a place teams fear not for Ann to host high tea to her Bridge club. If fans misbehave then employ a new security firm (do G4S actually do anything?)and do not punish innocents and make our ground more pleasant for away fans.

We need to become a tough winning team not a team looking for the next progressive cause to fight. There are many ways to fight the wrongs of the world but Saturday 3pm is not the stage. Sure, do our bit as it matters but let us not make it our raison d'etre.

Spot on. 

7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

We need to become a tough winning team not a team looking for the next progressive cause to fight. There are many ways to fight the wrongs of the world but Saturday 3pm is not the stage. Sure, do our bit ad it matters but let us not make it our raison d'etre.

Very good post 

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

But where does she stand against Wallace Mercer?

On a par. We won no trophies under Wallace either.

7 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Only short sighted hard of thinking screwballs can't see the club growing on a regular basis. 

Oddly it's all being done so that the product on the pitch can be better and more consistent.

Nope, the screwballs can't see that either. 

Yeah, but will it be better and more consistent with Levein in charge? That's the issue here...great off the park, potentially brilliant on it but do we need change for that to happen? And if Budge won't change it what happens next? 

Big questions and decisions to be made imo.