Ann Budge

DB-14

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, Boab said:

Not statistically it ain’t.

Best run in the SC for 8 years.

Best run in the LC for 7 years.

More League victories since the season we came back up.

Downhill is not the word i’d use...unless we’re talking about the style of play.

We had18 league victories in the season we came up (and finished 3rd with 65 points, 9 points  ahead of fourth and just 6 points behind second.

"More league victories" will only be true if we win our remaining four league games. I admire your optimism!

Edited by Francis Albert

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Francis Albert

• DB-14

• i8hibsh

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Not if it’s lost. 

Nah, I still think the ‘68, 76, ‘86 and ‘96 cup finals were highlights. Must just be me. 

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

We had18 league victories in the season we came up (and finished 3rd with points, 9 points  ahead of fourth and just 6 points behind second.

"More league victories" will only be true if we win our remaining four league games. I admire your optimism!

But as people keep pointing out, no Rangers or Hibs.

jambocraig89
31 minutes ago, graygo said:

Have we lost over 2k season ticket holders over the past 2 years?

At the end of season 2017 our average gate was 16,327.

At the end of season 2018 our average gate was 18,336.

So far this season we have averaged 17,553.

If as you say, we have lost over 2k season ticket holders then we have more than made up for it in walk ups.

Unless you have just made up that figure?

With the way season ticket sales have went and if we dont win the cup and finish above hibs sales for season tickets will be lucky to reach 12k especially if levein remains in charge.

We had 14k the season before and this season has dropped to around 13k this will continue to drop if something is not done by the football department ie cup or new manager.

You can see by the average you have posted we are nearing  1k less in walk ups compared to last season and again that will continue to drop next season as well if again no cup won or change of manager.

2017 was restricted due to capacity of Tynecastle which was around 17k and you factor in how many away fans dont show up from the smaller teams we weren't far of selling out most games.

The club has clearly lost the feel good factor and you can sense through our support going to watch hearts is becoming a chore and not enjoyable to watch.

Budge will need to make a tough decision come the end of the season if we finish 6th and dont win the cup levein has 2 years in a row failed to meet the expectations set out by the board.

Fans will continue not show up and will remain divided going into a new season.

This will cost the club you are blind if you dont think that will be case if levein is in the dugout next season.

Francis Albert
Just now, davemclaren said:

Nah, I still think the ‘68, 76, ‘86 and ‘96 cup finals were highlights. Must just be me. 

Point taken although if we are on the wrong side of a thrashing I might not think of it as a highlight (do Hibs fans consider 1-5 a highlight and I am not sure about our first '96 final),

I was really talking about highlights in terms of seasons.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

But as people keep pointing out, no Rangers or Hibs.

Because as we showed clearly in the previous season, they weren't good enough!

12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We had18 league victories in the season we came up (and finished 3rd with 65 points, 9 points  ahead of fourth and just 6 points behind second.

I meant since that season. I’m well aware of how many victories we had that season, I was at them !

Still doesn’t really explain your downhill comment. Happy to hear your thoughts.

Inch Hearts
16 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Fair enough 96 league cup was a highlight not the Scottish. 

16 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

No, it isn’t just you, Dave.

Cup Finals are always a highlight.

Inch Hearts
23 minutes ago, Boab said:

So, just go out in R4 if we’re not going to win it ?

With the lost games/finance to boot ?

Cool !

You lose in the final then it’s not much of a highlight.  Hibs made two finals in a row, you think they keep them as seasons highlights, perhaps the Celtic one they do as they won the singing but point still stands.  We lose the final it’s been another shocking season. 

15 minutes ago, jambocraig89 said:

With the way season ticket sales have went and if we dont win the cup and finish above hibs sales for season tickets will be lucky to reach 12k especially if levein remains in charge.

We had 14k the season before and this season has dropped to around 13k this will continue to drop if something is not done by the football department ie cup or new manager.

You can see by the average you have posted we are nearing  1k less in walk ups compared to last season and again that will continue to drop next season as well if again no cup won or change of manager.

2017 was restricted due to capacity of Tynecastle which was around 17k and you factor in how many away fans dont show up from the smaller teams we weren't far of selling out most games.

The club has clearly lost the feel good factor and you can sense through our support going to watch hearts is becoming a chore and not enjoyable to watch.

Budge will need to make a tough decision come the end of the season if we finish 6th and dont win the cup levein has 2 years in a row failed to meet the expectations set out by the board.

This will cost the club you are blind if you dont think that will be case if levein is in the dugout next season.

Sales have and always will fluctuate as like any club, we have fans who only like going when the times are good.  One thing I'd maybe say is that with the position we are now on off the field, we should be doing better on it.

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

No, it isn’t just you, Dave.

Cup Finals are always a highlight.

How is the LC final v St Mirren in the memory bank? 

colinmaroon
24 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not just you but then, you're not of the "entitled" snowflake generation.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Boab said:

I meant since that season. I’m well aware of how many victories we had that season, I was at them !

Still doesn’t really explain your downhill comment. Happy to hear your thoughts.

My point was simply that every season since the promotion season and the first season back have been less entertaining and less successful. So downhill from there.

Winning a cup might make up for  poor or declining league performances but we haven't yet done that. 

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Not just you but then, you're not of the "entitled" snowflake generation.

First time anyone has suggested I am of that generation!

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

You lose in the final then it’s not much of a highlight.  Hibs made two finals in a row, you think they keep them as seasons highlights, perhaps the Celtic one they do as they won the singing but point still stands.  We lose the final it’s been another shocking season. 

Just now, Inch Hearts said:

How is the LC final v St Mirren in the memory bank? 

I enjoyed the fact we got to the finals we have in the time i’ve been going. This will be my 9th.

Each had their moments of joy, heartache and drama.

I love them and want more.

An abiding memory of one was at the end of the 96’ SC Final. The team went round the support to an incredible reception from us, after being stuffed 5-1. Spoke to big Giles a couple of years after that and he was stunned at the ovation he received.

You have a different view....fair enough....but these moments make you want more special days, and, boy, did we get them in in following 14 years.

colinmaroon
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

First time anyone has suggested I am of that generation!

By adoption!!!

colinmaroon
6 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

The club is already better and more consistent. 

This is typical of JKB and keeps threads rambling on, decompartmentalise everything to suit the agenda.

The club is thriving, nobody can criticise that, the facts say crowds are up, revenue is up and more importantly, profit is up. That doesn't suit agendas though so let's divide the club up into sections so we can rip it to bits. 

Its a Football Club, not just a Football team.

The moaners just jump from one bitter rant to another and it's a shame the less intelligent can't see through it and choose to jump on the bandwagon using the same boring cliche.

Far to many selfish hard of thinking supporters are actually making an attempt to drag the rest of us down by constantly banging on about eye bleeding, boring, negative this that and the other. It's complete pish, we're currently playing average football with the resources at hand.

I firmly believe the doomongers and haters that rant and groan and abuse everything and everybody concerned with Hearts are doing a damn sight more damage to the club than Ann Budge and Craig Levein thats for sure.

Negativity breeds negativity and sticking pins in your eyes is more akin to reading JKB these days than watching Hearts.

Great post.

Inch Hearts
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

I enjoyed the fact we got to the finals we have in the time i’ve been going. This will be my 9th.

An abiding memory of one was at the end of the 96’ SC Final. The team went round the support to an incredible reception from us, after being stuffed 5-1. Spoke to big Giles a couple of years after that and he was stunned at the ovation he received.

You have a different view....fair enough....but these moments make you want more special days, and, boy, did we get them in in following 14 years.

Fair points on the whole ?

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

My point was simply that every season since the promotion season and the first season back have been less entertaining and less successful. So downhill from there.

Winning a cup might make up for  poor or declining league performances but we haven't yet done that. 

I respectfully disagree when you look at the stats. Entertaining football, aye, it’s been a hard slog in that regard. Last time I enjoyed our football in entertaining definitions was the Championship. But if it was only entertainment I was after, I wouldn’t watch football in Scotland.

It’s not though, as you know !

It’s the whole package. Look at the last 40 odd years, FA. We are here because of all that.

44 minutes ago, jambocraig89 said:

Some were posting the exact same thing this time last season and yet...........

12 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Great post.

Is it?   The club will live on and always be a business behind the scenes but what will always be key is making the right decisions at team level.

Said for long enough you can have as much money as you want but the decision makers still need to be in the ballpark when recruiting managers, coaches and players.

In 2 ,5, 10 years time it’ll be the same situation.  This is a here and now business on the pitch. Some people seem in a bubble of a comfort zone, thinking there’s some fantastic masterplan ready to blossom any time soon.  

If 1986 was the flag raiser as Hearts return as a force and we finish 5th or 6th this season, it’ll be our worst 3 season run in the top flight in over 30 years.  

5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Is it?   The club will live on and always be a business behind the scenes but what will always be key is making the right decisions at team level.

Said for long enough you can have as much money as you want but the decision makers still need to be in the ballpark when recruiting managers, coaches and players.

In 2 ,5, 10 years time it’ll be the same situation.  This is a here and now business on the pitch. Some people seem in a bubble of a comfort zone, thinking there’s some fantastic masterplan ready to blossom any time soon.  

If 1986 was the flag raiser as Hearts return as a force and we finish 5th or 6th this season, it’ll be our worst 3 season run in the top flight in over 30 years.  

I take it you are ignoring when we were not in the top division? 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

93 to 96 we finished 7th, 6th and 4th which is the same average as 5th, 6th and 6th. Worst equal. ?

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I take it you are ignoring when we were not in the top division? 

Not ignoring. I clearly stated “top flight”....

georgiehearts66

It cannot be beyond the whit of any poster that AB has built sufficient credit over her tenure, with the vast majority of the support, that those of you who seek to criticize her for mistakes made, lose any traction for your argument, with the majority . Good stewardship I believe would be the overwhelming view point. I would further suggest that she now knows a great deal more about running the football side of the club than the vast majority of the support.

CL is on a three year contract. No doubt with the instructions, to initially steady the ship and kick on. The former can't be in dispute. This season injuries, impacted a very positive start, a few poor refereeing decisions notwithstanding, as far as anyone with an open mind could assess, he has achieved his objective. Which in her repeated statements, are competing for national honours and European excursions.

Two semi finals, one final with the possibility of Europe still alive. Not exactly as hoped, but far away from a performance which would deserve a negative contractual reaction.

The management/board awareness of what plans are in place for the close season recruitment and the boost of the extra revenue, the cup runs has provided will, I respectfully suggest, be sufficient to pragmatically ensure  that  CL will see his contract out. Absolutely nothing we know of her or indeed CL could possibly offer any other eventually that would make sense, knowing the individuals as we do.

The vast majority of our support, are naturally disappointed that a  season that started so well failed to continue its early promise.  Nevertheless, you completely misread the runes, when you extrapolate anecdotal after match disappointment into a successful CL out campaign. 

Even a quick look at this thread...as with so many similar...reveals, that you are not only in the minority, but in fact , even with some posters contributing double digit posts in each thread, you rarely achieve much traction. 

There's a Derby a few interesting games and a cup final ahead. Then a summer recruitment period, a pre season and a new campaign. The management structure will be the same, I believe, attendances much as before.

Most of you too, I suspect.

It seems modern media reality has condemned each team, with those; when communication was over a pint in a bar, we could ignore or walk away from, when confronted with an opinion for the umpteen time, must now endure as a norm. 

I do defend your right to your opinion, however, l suggest that you do neither your point of view nor your likelihood of improving the conversion ratio to your side of the argument either within the support and never at all with the governance board. So maybe until the end of the season, we can instead have threads that speculate which players may kick on as they fight to play in the final.

Then you can all concentrate on the usual crap next season. 

6 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Can't be arsed reading the whole thread as it's mostly saying the same over and over.

The OP says AB is above criticism from some people. Not true.

She has done a great job in turning the club around and making us financially secure for the long term.

She did this on the back of putting up her own money, without which we wouldn't be here at all.

These things, even her biggest critic must give her credit for.

Where she seems to get most stick is in two areas.

She's doing her best to rid the club of arseholes and in doing so has ruffled more than a few feathers, but unlike most clubs, at least she is trying to address the problem.

By her own admission she needed someone with more football knowledge than her and CL was someone she trusted. She has backed him financially but will expect a return on that investment on the pitch. She watches every game and knows as well as anyone that what we are seeing is not acceptable.

Despite what some think, she won't allow this to continue indefinitely.

Good post.  :thumb:

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

The only thing Ann's guilty of is giving Craig levein too much control of the football side and being in a difficult position due to their close friendship. 

She's admitted herself that she doesn't know much about the football side, however, off the pitch, she's done a lot right. The business side is in a great position. The football side is more Craig's responsibility and that's what's letting us down at the moment and will have an impact on the business side, if things continue as they are. 

I'm sure she can see that as well and will hopefully have the leadership/courage to change things round.

Excellent post.

Big Slim Stylee
32 minutes ago, georgiehearts66 said:

It cannot be beyond the whit of any poster that AB has built sufficient credit over her tenure, with the vast majority of the support, that those of you who seek to criticize her for mistakes made, lose any traction for your argument, with the majority . Good stewardship I believe would be the overwhelming view point. I would further suggest that she now knows a great deal more about running the football side of the club than the vast majority of the support.

CL is on a three year contract. No doubt with the instructions, to initially steady the ship and kick on. The former can't be in dispute. This season injuries, impacted a very positive start, a few poor refereeing decisions notwithstanding, as far as anyone with an open mind could assess, he has achieved his objective. Which in her repeated statements, are competing for national honours and European excursions.

Two semi finals, one final with the possibility of Europe still alive. Not exactly as hoped, but far away from a performance which would deserve a negative contractual reaction.

The management/board awareness of what plans are in place for the close season recruitment and the boost of the extra revenue, the cup runs has provided will, I respectfully suggest, be sufficient to pragmatically ensure  that  CL will see his contract out. Absolutely nothing we know of her or indeed CL could possibly offer any other eventually that would make sense, knowing the individuals as we do.

The vast majority of our support, are naturally disappointed that a  season that started so well failed to continue its early promise.  Nevertheless, you completely misread the runes, when you extrapolate anecdotal after match disappointment into a successful CL out campaign. 

Even a quick look at this thread...as with so many similar...reveals, that you are not only in the minority, but in fact , even with some posters contributing double digit posts in each thread, you rarely achieve much traction. 

There's a Derby a few interesting games and a cup final ahead. Then a summer recruitment period, a pre season and a new campaign. The management structure will be the same, I believe, attendances much as before.

It seems modern media reality has condemned each team, with those; when communication was over a pint in a bar, we could ignore or walk away from, when confronted with an opinion for the umpteen time, must now endure as a norm. 

I do defend your right to your opinion, however, l suggest that you do neither your point of view nor your likelihood of improving the conversion ratio to your side of the argument either within the support and never at all with the governance board. So maybe until the end of the season, we can instead have threads that speculate which players may kick on as they fight to play in the final.

It’s nice to know that there are still voices on here that I wholeheartedly agree with.

I find this board wearisome in the extreme nowadays. The levels of virulent abuse directed at certain individuals is pretty unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Three 5ths or 6ths would be unusual but I think most people recognise we’ve been through some unusual times on and off the pitch and are not pressing the panic button yet.

If we’re talking 30 year periods, anyone wanting Budge out clearly didn’t experience life under our 3 previous owners. She’s a rare owner - a rational person and genuine fan of the club. Sure, we could go deep into debt and risk the clubs future like Robinson or squander money like there’s no tomorrow like Romanov or run the club for her own ego like Mercer.... but a slowly slowly catchy monkey approach for a while sounds good to me. She’s building a sustainable platform.

As for returning as a force, we did that just 2 years after admin under Budge, Levein and Neilson. Still wasn’t enough for some.

jack D and coke
16 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Anyone I have ever sat near to or travelled with to Hearts matches mock Kickback. 

Nope it's for weirdos like me.

And Ann Budge has backed her manager always 

I’m pretty much the only one of my mates who comes on here and yeah they mock KB but let me assure everyone their views are equally as dumb and ridiculous as anything you’ll ever read on here. 

The Hearts fans who post on FB or Twitter however....that’s yir brain donors. Constantly wowed by some of the stuff I read on there. 

iwasthere1954
16 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

I don’t sit in G and I understand why the decision was made but why effect everyone that sits there and close the section. How difficult can it be to identify the cretins?

How do you identify the trouble makers when half of them are standing in an area they shouldn't be in. This of course is partly down to the stewards not checking tickets. 

iwasthere1954
1 hour ago, georgiehearts66 said:

This proves that The Readers Digest improve your word power works.

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

1968 was a painful memory rather than a highlight!

my first cup final and I cried all the way home in the train. ?

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

More victories and more losses, as it’s been said the two bottom teams have given up more points than last season. Man City will be two points worse off even if they win their last three games, would anyone say they’ve regressed? Stats can be deceiving. Has there been much progress on the pitch from last season after signing 20 players? Extremely little.

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

More victories and more losses, as it’s been said the two bottom teams have given up more points than last season. Man City will be two points worse off even if they win their last three games, would anyone say they’ve regressed? Stats can be deceiving. Has there been much progress on the pitch from last season after signing 20 players? Extremely little.

Have Man city won fewer points because they’re worse or other teams got better?

Our league is more competitive than ever. Not an excuse just a reality we need to respond to better next season.

24 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yeah but how did you feel before the game? That’s what cup finals are all about. Of course we look back on the wins and try to forget the losses but nothing beats the build up to a cup final.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Have Man city won fewer points because they’re worse or other teams got better?

Our league is more competitive than ever. Not an excuse just a reality we need to respond to better next season.

It’s hard to say, as Liverpool have got as many points too it would indicate only they’ve really improved. I think most teams in our league have improved at the expense of the bottom teams winning less. In reality we aren’t that much better off than we were at this point last season, even with the great start and signing 20 players.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s hard to say, as Liverpool have got as many points too it would indicate only they’ve really improved. I think most teams in our league have improved at the expense of the bottom teams winning less. In reality we aren’t that much better off than we were at this point last season, even with the great start and signing 20 players.

The great start and the cup run were pretty good though, eh. The types of league and cup runs we haven’t seen for some time. I call that improvement but I tend to treat each season as unique. Anyone who’s watched us for a long time knows we frequently have poor seasons after great ones and great ones after poor ones, usually with the same manager.

This season has been really weird in general in Scottish football. Like a mix of different seasons in one.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The great start and the cup run were pretty good though, eh. The types of league and cup runs we haven’t seen for some time. I call that improvement but I tend to treat each season as unique. Anyone who’s watched us for a long time knows we frequently have poor seasons after great ones and great ones after poor ones, usually with the same manager.

This season has been really weird in general in Scottish football. Like a mix of different seasons in one.

The cup game against Motherwell was great, the other 11 not so much. The start was great but the rest of the top teams started slowly.

We do usually have good seasons, qualify for Europe and struggle after. Levein bucked that trend first time round. We’ve now had three poor seasons with a handful of highlights back to back.

22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The cup game against Motherwell was great, the other 11 not so much. The start was great but the rest of the top teams started slowly.

We do usually have good seasons, qualify for Europe and struggle after. Levein bucked that trend first time round. We’ve now had three poor seasons with a handful of highlights back to back.

I’ve never heard two good cup runs   In one season dismissed like that by a Jambo!

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I’ve never heard two good cup runs   In one season dismissed like that by a Jambo!

You still haven't.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Losing us never easy but it was good and exciting to be in a final. I did throw up in the dormobile on the way home though. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Losing us never easy but it was good and exciting to be in a final. I did throw up in the dormobile on the way home though. 

My first final - little did I realise it would be another 30 years until I saw Hearts win the cup!  ?❤️

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

My first final - little did I realise it would be another 30 years until I saw Hearts win the cup!  ?❤️

I was the same. 

68 my first, then 76, 86, 96 a final approx every 10 years, it felt like a lifetime, I never thought I’d see Hearts win the cup!

Then 98 the greatest ever, then 06, 12, three cup wins in 14 years!

Finals don’t come along very often for us so you have to be there, you never know when the next one will be!!

Let’s hope on the 26th of May we can say, “Hearts Scottish Cup winners 2019, I’m glad I was there, it’s the 4th time I’ve seen Hearts win the cup!”

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

68 my first, then 76, 86, 96 a final approx every 10 years, it felt like a lifetime, I never thought I’d see Hearts win the cup!

Then 98 the greatest ever, then 06, 12, three cup wins in 14 years!

Finals don’t come along very often for us so you have to be there, you never know when the next one will be!!

Let’s hope on the 26th of May we can say, “Hearts Scottish Cup winners 2019, I’m glad I was there, it’s the 4th time I’ve seen Hearts win the cup!”

?

Big Slim Stylee
5 hours ago, Boab said:

I have a similar recollection. The support was magnificent. It in some ways made ‘98 even sweeter.

I have the same gut feeling this year. We may pull out one of our greatest days or we’ll get stuffed. Either way, we’ll be back.

The over spend on the stand is disgraceful really and there is clearly design faults and the buck on that stops with Budge. There are also other matters that I’m unhappy about. I’m still a FOH contributor but I’m not convinced Budge should carry on when when FOH take control. I’d rather she stepped aside and she had no input to who takes over.