Edinburgh Roads

Harry Potter

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s a farce.

It causes more congestion.

Yep, it’s mind boggling what they have done. 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• OBE

• been here before

Howdy Doody Jambo
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Has there ever been a bigger waste of money on a road than this cycle lane in Edinburgh ? The cost and inconvenience so far on a road that already had a bus & bike lane is ridiculous. 

It must equate to about £150k per cyclist 

2 hours ago, Stewie Griffin said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-parking-spaces-could-turned-26636330

The latest bright idea is to turn parking spaces into small parks. 

Cracking idea.  Edinburgh needs more places to drink cans of cheap high-strength lager, piss on, and eventually vandalise.  

Can just imagine the budget it will be done to as well:

Park.png

Stuart Lyon

Read yesterday that some Councillor claims BT's telephone boxes are a hazard to people with disabilities despite them being around for over 100 years! This is madness and shows the calibre of our Councillors. So given his opinion that telephone boxes are a hazard what kind of difficulties will these parklets present to people with disabilities?

2 hours ago, Stewie Griffin said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-parking-spaces-could-turned-26636330

The latest bright idea is to turn parking spaces into small parks. 

They have turned the end of featherhall crescent in Corstorphine into one of these park’s recently. ****ing mess,  waste of time, money and another road closed at one end. Plants already been emptied onto the road and Tesco shopping trolley launch into the flower beds. 

On 04/04/2023 at 12:19, Stuart Lyon said:

The eight month closure of Haymarket Terrace eastbound lane is already causing chaos along the diversion. All for the sake of a fixed cycleway that will hardly be used. To their credit SGN are taking the opportunity to upgrade their network at the same time.

Viewforth closed again for the umpteenth time in recent months. 

I live in West Lothian (moved out of Edinburgh about 15 years ago) my only bus route goes along Haymarket Terrace. My only issue with the cycle lane is the time it takes to "build" it, 8 months at Haymarket seems optimistic given how long it took the stretch at Roseburn to be completed. 

14 hours ago, jonesy said:

I had to help a woman with mobility issues on Tuesday morning after the council binmen had haphazardly left wheelie bins all over the shop on West Savile Terrace after emptying them.

The council are a bunch of crooks, charlatans and incompetents.

Totally agree

Howdy Doody Jambo
15 hours ago, Dazo said:

They have turned the end of featherhall crescent in Corstorphine into one of these park’s recently. ****ing mess,  waste of time, money and another road closed at one end. Plants already been emptied onto the road and Tesco shopping trolley launch into the flower beds. 

Total fantasy brainfart clowncil group thinking for city "park-let's" that's what the arseholes call them to be the new safe space for people so they can socially chat pish 

It will be a chavs smoking gang hut to hang aboot at night meanwhile causing an inconvenience to many just trying to get about daily and bring anti social behaviour to the neighbourhood 

What a total waste of the publics money and tree's on huge wooden planters especially as there are 2 public park's within a short walking distance not to mention cafés on the local main street These clowncilours have too much sway and time creating this at the expense of more needed services 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

15 hours ago, EIEIO said:

I live in West Lothian (moved out of Edinburgh about 15 years ago) my only bus route goes along Haymarket Terrace. My only issue with the cycle lane is the time it takes to "build" it, 8 months at Haymarket seems optimistic given how long it took the stretch at Roseburn to be completed. 

Yeah that the only thing wrong with these cycle lanes. 😂

Youre right about the time though it will take longer and cost more. 

On 21/02/2020 at 13:31, AlimOzturk said:

Greendykes road must be the worst road in edinburgh potholes the size of a ****ing ww2 bunker. 

Agree you would think it had been bombed 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-transport-launch-of-most-important-consultation-council-has-ever-done-4107746

Yet another sham consultation! You can be sure if the Council don't like the answers they will ignore them as usual!

Not that I live in Edinburgh anymore but chucked dummy details in to have a look at the 'consultation' and as usual it's not asking what people want but simply where in in what order things should be done, they've already decided what they are going to do to further destroy the city

Some great ideas coming up for folks in edinburgh

Replacing 2 stage pedestrian crossings with single stage, meaning lights at red for twice as long while people cross wide streets

Increase green man times and frequency 

Narrow wide crossings and widen narrow footpaths

Remove clutter on pavements but at the same time add more rest places and benches

Ensure every home is within 250m of a cycle route

More bus lanes

Bus lanes 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week

Bus priority at traffic lights

More 20mph roads and review of any 40mph roads

Reduce parking even further and then for what little spaces remain make charges based on emmissions

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Not that I live in Edinburgh anymore but chucked dummy details in to have a look at the 'consultation' and as usual it's not asking what people want but simply where in in what order things should be done, they've already decided what they are going to do to further destroy the city

Some great ideas coming up for folks in edinburgh

Replacing 2 stage pedestrian crossings with single stage, meaning lights at red for twice as long while people cross wide streets

Increase green man times and frequency 

Narrow wide crossings and widen narrow footpaths

Remove clutter on pavements but at the same time add more rest places and benches

Ensure every home is within 250m of a cycle route

More bus lanes

Bus lanes 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week

Bus priority at traffic lights

More 20mph roads and review of any 40mph roads

Reduce parking even further and then for what little spaces remain make charges based on emmissions

This pish is the master plan of the group thinking of clowncilors for every City in the UK to transform it into some fantasy cycling island total waste of tax payers money and will just cause everyday hassle to most people that live in and around a City in the country, just chopping down thousands of tree's and concrete cycle paths everywhere 

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Is it the general consensus that cars should be prioritised over pedestrians and public transport?

No, none should be a priority over another, a balance needs to be found that ensures traffic flow's freely, cyclists and pedestrians are safe and the vunerable amongst us either have easy access to public transport or be able to be picked up in private transport (unlike the care home on constituion street which is now tram only and the nearest bus stop moved a further 200m away)

22 minutes ago, Ribble said:

No, none should be a priority over another, a balance needs to be found that ensures traffic flow's freely, cyclists and pedestrians are safe and the vunerable amongst us either have easy access to public transport or be able to be picked up in private transport (unlike the care home on constituion street which is now tram only and the nearest bus stop moved a further 200m away)

Is it not just a small section of constitution street that is tram only?  

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

my favorite road is lothian road

I always remember being somewhat fearful of lothian Road as a child. Rumours abound it wasn't safe and I was told never to walk it alone at night. 

Don't know if this was just an edinburgh myth or not. I'm 44 so this would have been late 80's early 90's. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, William H. Bonney said:

I always remember being somewhat fearful of lothian Road as a child. Rumours abound it wasn't safe and I was told never to walk it alone at night. 

Don't know if this was just an edinburgh myth or not. I'm 44 so this would have been late 80's early 90's. 

In the late 60’s early 70’s it was quite notorious especially at Anderson’s (Raging Bull).

Plenty altercations.:10900:

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

2 hours ago, Shanks said:

Is it not just a small section of constitution street that is tram only?  

Sure it's the opposite and only a small section (baltic streetend) is open to traffic

il Duce McTarkin
6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

In the late 60’s early 70’s it was quite notorious especially at Anderson’s (Raging Bull).

Plenty altercations.:10900:

BAR-OX ya bass

22 hours ago, FWJ said:

Is it the general consensus that cars should be prioritised over pedestrians and public transport?

Car lovers see themselves as the priority. I have a car and a motorhome so I'm not hugely anti car but in town and city centres cars should have the lowest priority. 

On 19/04/2023 at 09:24, EIEIO said:

Car lovers see themselves as the priority. I have a car and a motorhome so I'm not hugely anti car but in town and city centres cars should have the lowest priority. 

So how do tradesmen, delivery drivers, disabled people, older folk and the likes get to enjoy the town?

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

So how do tradesmen, delivery drivers, disabled people, older folk and the likes get to enjoy the town?

How do they currently access pedestrianised high streets up and down the country?

ArcticJambo

Anybody go up the town on Friday and Saturday nights? We did regularly in our 20s, in late 80s to mid 90s. Is that still teh case for 20somethings from the hoods today? Anybody know?

Doctor FinnBarr

City bypass eastbound was a nightmare tonight, closed eastbound from Hermiston Gait. Everything getting routed through Wester Hailes and Colinton before getting back on at Dreghorn. Half hour added onto my journey.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Heads up for anyone trying to get anywhere in and around the Grange/Mayfield Road area at a reasonable speed tomorrow - the Sciennes cycle to school mob are out in force tomorrow morning with an organised cycle.

I'm sure this will see similar cycling proficiency to what I witnessed this morning, with one father training his daughter to cycle on the wrong side of the road and cutting corners (no signals, of course), and probably about six abreast to ensure cars and vans using the same route have to come to a complete stop and thus fire out idling fumes for pedestrians to inhale. Braw, eh.

These are the same muesli eating parents who cycle in busy traffic with a kid in tow. They clearly have never heard the word ‘accident’! A road traffic bump need not be anyone’s fault to result in a badly injured child.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Indeed.

It's a lovely idea, but a lot of the younger kids can't cycle up Findhorn Place when the hill kicks in. I've seen them wobbling all over the shop and even falling off going up there while traffic is coming the other way or having to come to a dead stop if approaching from behind. By all means we should be encouraging cycling, but there needs to be a minimum level of competency and road awareness.

Two of my colleagues who cycled to work but on other occasions often carried young kids in attached seats each suffered nasty but thankfully not too serious injuries, one involving a car and the other simply falling off after hard breaking.

In each case they were chastened at the thought they could easily have been carrying their child.

Stuart Lyon
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Indeed.

It's a lovely idea, but a lot of the younger kids can't cycle up Findhorn Place when the hill kicks in. I've seen them wobbling all over the shop and even falling off going up there while traffic is coming the other way or having to come to a dead stop if approaching from behind. By all means we should be encouraging cycling, but there needs to be a minimum level of competency and road awareness.

I had a run-in with this mob  at Lauder Rd a few months ago. The parents were questioning my right to be there and deliberately cycled slowly in front of me. As you witnessed on Findhorn Place some of the kids couldn't cope with the hill on Lauder Rd. Adults cycling with one hand while pushing a struggling youngster!

il Duce McTarkin
12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I saw some boy at Comiston fall off his bike and slide for about 20 metres on a patch of black ice last winter. He was tearing down the hill at some clip, in full racing rig-out. He also had his toddler daughter on the back in one of those seats. She went flying and was thankfully unhurt but was properly shaking with fear and shock.

Those irresponsible ^^^^s that tow kids in traffic deserve a good shoeing. It's my number one seethe. Imagine you were the car driver involved in an unfortunate accident with one of their kids. Nobody should be putting children and other road users into that totally unnecessary position.

I dream about putting my steelies into their ****ing ribs. 

2 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Those irresponsible ^^^^s that tow kids in traffic deserve a good shoeing. It's my number one seethe. Imagine you were the car driver involved in an unfortunate accident with one of their kids. Nobody should be putting children and other road users into that totally unnecessary position.

Risking their kids lives to proclaim their green credentials.

been here before
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

It's a shame that they feel the need to be so antagonistic.

2 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

:rolleyes:

been here before
2 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

:seething:

Aye Im pure frothing.  Im raging on the internet about wanting to give some ***** a good shoeing, dreaming about putting my steelies into their ****ing ribs. 

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, been here before said:

Aye Im pure frothing.  Im raging on the internet about wanting to give some ***** a good shoeing, dreaming about putting my steelies into their ****ing ribs. 

It's good that you feel you can discuss these things. 

been here before

It's good that you feel you can discuss these things. 

Thats a ****in zinger.

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, been here before said:

Thats a ****in zinger.

You zinged yourself by misinterpreting the previous post in your rush to come the smartarse, but I thught it might be a bit rude to point that out.

been here before

You zinged yourself by misinterpreting the previous post in your rush to come the smartarse, but I thught it might be a bit rude to point that out.

Nah its cool man. You rage away in the internet like a goody. :rofl:

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

Better to rage on the internet than rage inside, bhb. That latent, antagonistic, self-hatred will be the end of you. 

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

Better to rage on the internet than rage inside, bhb. That latent, antagonistic, self-hatred will be the end of you. 

been here before
1 minute ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

On online rage and psychobabble zingtastic double.

Do another.

il Duce McTarkin
49 minutes ago, been here before said:

On online rage and psychobabble zingtastic double.

Do another.

Seems the wifi here is only marginally better than your patter. 

il Duce McTarkin
17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I always had you clocked as one poster with two accounts. 

The similarities are striking, jonesy, but only one of us is a bike whanker.

Edited by Dirk McTarkin

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

The cycle of life. 

That swear filter 😁

been here before
12 hours ago, jonesy said:

It's a shame that they feel the need to be so antagonistic. 

11 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Those irresponsible ^^^^s that tow kids in traffic deserve a good shoeing

11 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

6 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

The similarities are striking, jonesy, but only one of us is a bike whanker.

The cycle of no self awareness :lol: