U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

9 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

The people and the political movement responsible for this “historical analysis” are looneys. They don't like history, they don't like what it says, and they want to whitewash centuries of American wrongs.

I don't think they're looneys. A real nut might actually believe their own 'alternative facts' despite having oceans of contrary evidence at their fingertips. These people you're speaking of are simply liars with a twisted amoral agenda.

The general US population regardless of the fact they too have more information literally at their own fingertips than any previous generation are shockingly ignorant. Apparently comfortably over 60% or thereabouts get their 'news' for Facebook.

Think about that. Facebook a reliable source of news? Just one facet of what really is an alternative facts nation. Choose which alternative facts you prefer and the internet cookies will feed you to bursting point with validation for it no matter how absurd it may be.

Just in passing I feel Kellyanne Conway had a form of brain fart when she said "alternative facts".  I don't think she had preconceived that phrase. It simply slipped out with no forethought of what she was saying. A professional liar just shooting the wind trying to make absurdity sound rational. And out it came.

I clear cookies after almost every search. When I search again the PC has no idea what I previously searched or read. Such cookies should be banned.

I would advise everyone here who isn't comfortable with clearing cookies to use a search engine other than the usual such as google etc.

Because if you aren't very tech savvy when it comes to things like cookies you can clear all login information for websites etc. And some people don't even remember their login information for many things. The cookies remember it for them.

You can clear cookies while retaining login cookies but again some people aren't entirely sure how to do that or are comfortable with it. Try this search engine.

DuckDuckGo (also abbreviated as DDG) is an internet search engine that emphasizes protecting searchers' privacy and avoiding the filter bubble of personalized search results.[3] DuckDuckGo distinguishes itself from other search engines by not profiling its users and by showing all users the same search results for a given search term.

https://duckduckgo.com/

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think they're looneys. A real nut might actually believe their own 'alternative facts' despite having oceans of contrary evidence at their fingertips. These people you're speaking of are simply liars with a twisted amoral agenda.

I used to think this. I don't after the last four years. By and large they are true believers, or at best, weasels like the Grahams and Cruzes of the world, and since they will contort themselves however they need to, to pursue their "amoral agenda", they are functionally the same.

So the "both sides" in America are now corporate billionaire establishment apologists—the Democrats—and mentalists—the Republicans.

14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The general US population regardless of the fact they too have more information literally at their own fingertips than any previous generation are shockingly ignorant. Apparently comfortably over 60% or thereabouts get their 'news' for Facebook.

Think about that. Facebook a reliable source of news? Just one facet of what really is an alternative facts nation. Choose which alternative facts you prefer and the internet cookies will feed you to bursting point with validation for it no matter how absurd it may be.

This too is a tacit critique of capitalism as the basis for disseminating information. It's exactly the point I was making when I was talking about the broader implication of Tech Giants like Twitter or Amazon deciding what is and isn't okay to say/disseminate, banning Trump, etc., no matter how funny it was at the time (and it was). Undemocratic, beholden only to their shareholders, and we already know they don't have our best interests at heart—only dollar signs.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

What a beautiful day for Democracy and normalcy.

:verysmug:

Yes!! Now we can get back to brunch and not worry about the president being a meanie on Twitter while we drone brown folk and millions of our own people die or go bankrupt from lack of healthcare :smile:

6 hours ago, trotter said:

Bob, again replying from my perspective living in "deepest, darkest Texas"...

@jamboplims made the point more succinctly that I can above. The vast, vast majority of Americans (at least the ones that I have met) understand the mechanisms of a democratic voting system. You may not like the result, but you respect the process that led you there and then you move on. 

For all his bluster about being the greatest ever, all Trump did within his presidency (or at least harnessed in his quest for absolute power - remember the phrase Lenin used of 'useful idiots'?) was to give a very, very minority of the lunatic fringe a platform that legitimized their otherwise illegitimate position. His inflammatory statements, his baseless rhetoric of everyone being out to get him and 'them', just galvanized them into a fight THAT SIMPLY DOES NOT EXIST IN REALITY. 

Biden has a hell of a job on his hands, but I hope, and fully expect, he will use his experience to reunite the now Fractured States of America.

And so should say all of us.

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, Barack said:

It’s been a long 4 years.

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1351712250361507842

“Those lights that are shooting out from the Lincoln Memorial along the reflecting pool are almost like extensions of Joe Biden's arms embracing America.”

:rofl: Even that lady in the hanbok on North Korean State TV would :cornette_dog: at being made to say something like this.

Hagar the Horrible

Marine One taking the Child in Cheif to Andrews airbase now, an unscripted speach, popcorn out

CNN calling him a very small man

Trump leaving on Marine1 for the Airport to get on Air Force 1 to go to Florida. I am sure I heard it is the first time in history the leaving President has not attended his replacements Inauguration.

Whether my last statement is fact or not his failure to attend it is possible that he is leaving so he can use Air Force 1 which after the ceremony would no longer be his. It is indeed sad that a man who has had so much in life can be so bitter, sure his father was hard on him, Jimmy Sharp was hard on me for different reasons though, I was his son he wanted what was best for me because other than love and good guidance the poor man who had lost his future by being called as they say to fight the Kaiser wanted me to have a better life. He achieved his purpose, and I am sure looking down was happy with the job he done

If Trumps father is looking up he should be very proud also, he raised an incompetent, mentally challenged total stranger to the truth, who reached the acme of success in his Country and worked his hardest at destroying it and his own reputation he couldn't lose character because he has none. So Donald you and I were born of different people, we have had different lives, but I wouldn't give a pair of my old slippers for two minutes of yours. The only thanks I can offer is that you gave me four years of fodder for my JKB rantings I have never had the opportunity to use something so simple as you to criticise,

Hagar the Horrible

Kids will be told when throwing a tantrum not to Trump, has name should be added to the dictionary as Sore Loser

saying nothing too controvercial so far

41 minutes ago, Barack said:

Did you mean 'normality', or were you just entering fully into the spirit of the thread and immersing yourself into American "English"?   :huh: :ermm: :whistling:

Agree fully with the sentiments however!   :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Trump leaving on Marine1 for the Airport to get on Air Force 1 to go to Florida. I am sure I heard it is the first time in history the leaving President has not attended his replacements Inauguration.

Whether my last statement is fact or not his failure to attend it is possible that he is leaving so he can use Air Force 1 which after the ceremony would no longer be his. It is indeed sad that a man who has had so much in life can be so bitter, sure his father was hard on him, Jimmy Sharp was hard on me for different reasons though, I was his son he wanted what was best for me because other than love and good guidance the poor man who had lost his future by being called as they say to fight the Kaiser wanted me to have a better life. He achieved his purpose, and I am sure looking down was happy with the job he done

If Trumps father is looking up he should be very proud also, he raised an incompetent, mentally challenged total stranger to the truth, who reached the acme of success in his Country and worked his hardest at destroying it and his own reputation he couldn't lose character because he has none. So Donald you and I were born of different people, we have had different lives, but I wouldn't give a pair of my old slippers for two minutes of yours. The only thanks I can offer is that you gave me four years of fodder for my JKB rantings I have never had the opportunity to use something so simple as you to criticise,

:bravo:

All roads lead to Gorgie

Trump boarding the Aircraft accompanied by the sounds of "YMCA" made me chuckle 😂

Aye Corona virus is only serious now when he thinks it stopped the "miracle" the greatest of all presidents was bringing to the most wonderful country the world has ever seen. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Barack said:

Trump's left Biden a letter, as per tradition.

Wonder what colour crayon it was.

Good one.👍

I P Knightley
23 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

It's the first time in something like 140 years that an outgoing president has failed to welcome his successor to the White House (apart from when JFK refused to turn up for LBJ's inauguration). When it happened in the 18somethings, it was something to do with deep personal rancour between the two individuals involved. I'm not sure that there is personal rancour specifically between Trump and Biden. It's more to do with your second paragraph where Trump's deep-rooted personality flaws won't allow him to accept a loss.

If you haven't seen it, you must look up the book "Commander in Cheat" or find the YouTube video of its author (might be called Rick Reilly?) talking about how he cheats on the golf course. I know you're a golfer so you'll get it entirely. He talks about the ways in which Trump cheats - all of them brazen - but, more interestingly, why he cheats. The author compares Trump's cheating with that of Bill Clinton. [I've saved you the hassle of searching - click here].

Clinton is a very mediocre who would give himself a half dozen mulligans and claim that the best was his first ball. He's cheating himself and he's not playing for money. As a very occasional golfer, I can almost get that myself. Trump, however, cheats to make the other player(s) lose so he can take the money and the glory. Examples like kicking the oppo's ball into a bunker or playing an oppo's ball which has landed in a much better position than his own. I know you already hold him in very low esteem; that clip will take it even lower, I promise!

All roads lead to Gorgie
22 minutes ago, Barack said:

Takes off to My Way, by Sinatra.

Which is fitting. Because Sinatra thought Trump was a ****ing moron too!

Aye Sinatra was used to dealing with a few dodgy business men in his time, so I have heard :whistling:

Most heartfelt of condolences to the children who won't get to watch Biden's inauguration and our glorious return to normalcy from the cages Obama built. :sad:

Though this is heartwarming:

Edited by Justin Z

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Just in passing I feel Kellyanne Conway had a form of brain fart when she said "alternative facts".  I don't think she had preconceived that phrase. It simply slipped out with no forethought of what she was saying. A professional liar just shooting the wind trying to make absurdity sound rational. And out it came.

I clear cookies after almost every search. When I search again the PC has no idea what I previously searched or read. Such cookies should be banned.

I would advise everyone here who isn't comfortable with clearing cookies to use a search engine other than the usual such as google etc.

Because if you aren't very tech savvy when it comes to things like cookies you can clear all login information for websites etc. And some people don't even remember their login information for many things. The cookies remember it for them.

You can clear cookies while retaining login cookies but again some people aren't entirely sure how to do that or are comfortable with it. Try this search engine.

https://duckduckgo.com/

I'd also like to add that duckduckgo browser is great for blocking scripts etc too, it's my browser of choice

16 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Aye Sinatra was used to dealing with a few dodgy business men in his time, so I have heard :whistling:

I remember going to a bar in Washington and the back room where I ate was apparently JFK’s favourite to have drinks nights with his inner circle and mates. Lots of photos that featured him and Sinatra. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Most heartfelt of condolences to the children who won't get to watch Biden's inauguration and our glorious return to normalcy from the cages Obama built. :sad:

Though this is heartwarming:

That’s good. Onwards and upwards, hopefully Biden will do more than his boss did. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Good post. 

His parents take a lot of the blame. 

First for 152 years and 4th ever. 
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2021/01/08/trump-first-outgoing-president-skip-inauguration-152-years/6596286002/

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

It's the first time in something like 140 years that an outgoing president has failed to welcome his successor to the White House (apart from when JFK refused to turn up for LBJ's inauguration). When it happened in the 18somethings, it was something to do with deep personal rancour between the two individuals involved. I'm not sure that there is personal rancour specifically between Trump and Biden. It's more to do with your second paragraph where Trump's deep-rooted personality flaws won't allow him to accept a loss.

If you haven't seen it, you must look up the book "Commander in Cheat" or find the YouTube video of its author (might be called Rick Reilly?) talking about how he cheats on the golf course. I know you're a golfer so you'll get it entirely. He talks about the ways in which Trump cheats - all of them brazen - but, more interestingly, why he cheats. The author compares Trump's cheating with that of Bill Clinton. [I've saved you the hassle of searching - click here].

Clinton is a very mediocre who would give himself a half dozen mulligans and claim that the best was his first ball. He's cheating himself and he's not playing for money. As a very occasional golfer, I can almost get that myself. Trump, however, cheats to make the other player(s) lose so he can take the money and the glory. Examples like kicking the oppo's ball into a bunker or playing an oppo's ball which has landed in a much better position than his own. I know you already hold him in very low esteem; that clip will take it even lower, I promise!

Just watched that video, thats unbelievable, if I had seen that  when Trump first got elected I would have been out in the backyard building my nuclear shelter. Its funny how golf brings out the ability for liars to use it to enhance their status.   Many years ago I attended a police day out at Aberdour for some fun golfing. Two of us played with the Chief Superintendent in charge of the traffic Division.  We called him in telling a lie about a score, he was peed off mightily.  We two of us had seen a couple of questionable actions.  Later I applied for Traffic he interviewed me, and ejected me almost immediately because I was poor at arithmetic. Liars have no character, just like Trump, but neither have the people who encourage them rather than do the right thing in spite of receiving their ire. I thought I had reached the depths of contempt with this man, but like everything in life there is always a wee bit more of things available.

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

Just watched that video, thats unbelievable, if I had seen that  when Trump first got elected I would have been out in the backyard building my nuclear shelter. Its funny how golf brings out the ability for liars to use it to enhance their status.   Many years ago I attended a police day out at Aberdour for some fun golfing. Two of us played with the Chief Superintendent in charge of the traffic Division.  We called him in telling a lie about a score, he was peed off mightily.  We two of us had seen a couple of questionable actions.  Later I applied for Traffic he interviewed me, and ejected me almost immediately because I was poor at arithmetic. Liars have no character, just like Trump, but neither have the people who encourage them rather than do the right thing in spite of receiving their ire. I thought I had reached the depths of contempt with this man, but like everything in life there is always a wee bit more of things available.

People who cheat at golf are always wrong types. Years ago we had a small works golf outing and the new manager of the bar came along. Was spotted on several occasions doing slightly dodgy little kicks in the rough and so on. He also pulled out of a couple of holes. Much to our surprise he announced a good score at the end of the round. Mainly due to awarding himself a par for the holes he’d pulled out of. Fast forward two years and he was being sacked for embezzling bar profits and stealing stock.  

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Liars have no character, just like Trump, but neither have the people who encourage them rather than do the right thing in spite of receiving their ire. I thought I had reached the depths of contempt with this man, but like everything in life there is always a wee bit more of things available.

:biglaugh:

I knew it would have that effect!

I used to have the occasional round of golf with a guy who would mark his ball on the green between the ball and the flag and then replace the ball between the marker and the flag - stealing about 3-4 inches on a putt that might have been about 10 feet. First couple of times I saw him do it, I thought I'd mis-seen it until I noticed a third guy in the group raising his eyebrows. So on the next green, when he did it again, I just pointed out politely that he'd marked in front of the ball. No accusation or anything but getting caught got to him and he played shite for the rest of the round :D

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, Cade said:

The Hearts Song?
:rudiyas:

Hahahahaha I think Biden might be more of a Celtic fan, he’s got a “Lennon out” T-shirt on 😆😜

Pasquale for King

Not sure what Dan Quayle or that other guy did to Adam Boulton 😆😂. Won’t let me load the video of him saying “****ing” in the background 😱

45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure what Dan Quayle or that other guy did to Adam Boulton 😆😂. Won’t let me load the video of him saying “****ing” in the background 😱

Need the volume up to max

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I feel the endless talk of liberty and justice for all has been a sham since day one. Who were the first permanent colonisers? The revered 'pilgrim fathers' right? Almost but not quite as revered as the 'founding fathers'.

Why were the pilgrim fathers there? Well to escape religious persecution apparently. And the moment they became settled began to enthusiastically inflict religious persecution on anyone not of their religion. The irony.

Then the almost deity like worship of the founding fathers and their declaration of independence. Which included this.

It was a sham and always has been, but there is so much devotion to pushing the idea that the US is the best, most fair, most advanced, and beacon for liberty that it's easy to suspend disbelief and believe. You learn about those early injustices as something in the past, something to be grateful that we are past and have corrected. We are reminded time and time again while learning our history that while injustices happen in every decade since our inception, we have learned and grown. It's a programming to uphold the idea of American superiority and disregard our fumblings as learning experiences or flat out deny equality is still a problem. There is a patriotic wool that has been carefully pulled before the eyes of the general populace to celebrate blindly and defend with our very essence the reputation of the country. Questioning the country leads to being called unpatriotic, communist, radical, and a slew of terms meant to silence you from expressing those thoughts. We have forgotten that dissent can be the highest form of patriotism.

3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Very well said. A great Scottish word describes Trump. Hes a " guffy" simple as that 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

People who cheat at golf are always wrong types. Years ago we had a small works golf outing and the new manager of the bar came along. Was spotted on several occasions doing slightly dodgy little kicks in the rough and so on. He also pulled out of a couple of holes. Much to our surprise he announced a good score at the end of the round. Mainly due to awarding himself a par for the holes he’d pulled out of. Fast forward two years and he was being sacked for embezzling bar profits and stealing stock.  

Adults who cheat at any games are definitely  ones to watch.  I have a mate who always cheats at various games we play.  But just laughs it off as a " joke".  Even when we go to pub quizzes ( remember them ) he sometimes goes on his phone.. Got to the point I told him i wouldn't go to a quiz with him again and he stopped it. 

Lady Gaga fair belted out that song.  She looked stunning. What a talented woman she is and a great role model. 

3 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

12 noon EST. Biden is President of the United States of America.

Trump isn’t.

Phew.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Joe Biden looks pretty sharp for someone meant to be a bit 'absent minded'.

His speech is brilliant. Really inspiring . Hope he does well. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)