British IS schoolgirl wants to return home

AlphonseCapone

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, OTT said:

I think its a really tough call because you don't want to effectively say its okay to go and join a war mongering caliphate but if that doesn't work out you can still come home. But, we're also talking about a teenager. 

I think morally speaking the UK has an obligation here. But I can see the view that she shouldn't be allowed back.

Indeed, what do you do, if you punish her too severely then she's a martyr, if not enough then it's no deterrent to anybody else wanting to do similar.

What I think needs to be remembered here, is that if the caliphate was still going strong, she'd have no interest in trying to return back to the UK, she'd probably be too busy producing the next generation of terrorists, who'd quite happily bomb the feck out of the very country she's so desperate to return back to now.

It really is a difficult situation, and one which no matter which way the UK government had went on this, they'd get crap over, just look at how this divides public opinion, and you can then see the problem the government has, there is no easy answer, here.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Governor Tarkin

• luckyBatistuta

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, what do you do, if you punish her too severely then she's a martyr, if not enough then it's no deterrent to anybody else wanting to do similar.

What I think needs to be remembered here, is that if the caliphate was still going strong, she'd have no interest in trying to return back to the UK, she'd probably be too busy producing the next generation of terrorists, who'd quite happily bomb the feck out of the very country she's so desperate to return back to now.

It really is a difficult situation, and one which no matter which way the UK government had went on this, they'd get crap over, just look at how this divides public opinion, and you can then see the problem the government has, there is no easy answer, here.

It’s certainly a hard call to make on what to do.

As has been said before, many people have left the UK and joined various terror groups only to return.

Some are jailed, some are monitored, some are allowed to reintegrate.

This lassie has been singled out for special treatment for purely political purposes.

That is the issue.

3 hours ago, JimKongUno said:

Is it exclusively brown people we bomb? Do they go door to door 1st and check the skin colour before they drop the payloads 

image.png.89eba33dc8f2c5c302fd8ac03502b015.png

John Findlay
17 hours ago, Cade said:

As has been said before, many people have left the UK and joined various terror groups only to return.

This lassie has been singled out for special treatment for purely political purposes.

That is the issue.

Ah well unlucky for her.

JDK2020
17 hours ago, Cade said:

That is the issue.

Lol, and this lassie never singled herself out by leaving the UK to go join ISIS for political reasons? 

Lemongrab

We might as well take her back.  If she's refused through legal channels, she can simply sneak in on a dinghy. Once she's here, there'll be no way of getting rid of her. At least by letting her come, there could be some control.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I'd sooner take in the Yazidi woman these IS subhumans preyed on. 

I think we all would, JackLadd.

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I think we all would, JackLadd.

There are still some, including those on here, who feel sorry for her, who feel she is being treated unfairly and who would accept her back instantly. 

Not for me, she can rot under whatever stone she is lying below. 

Justin Z
3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

There are still some, including those on here, who feel sorry for her, who feel she is being treated unfairly and who would accept her back instantly.

There's a pretty massive difference between each of these phrases, but I'm certain you had no intention of conflating any of them. :thumbsup: That in spite of the fact that literally no one has come close to expressing the latter. Major conditions imposed has been the barest of minimums.

And you know, it's pretty easy to just admit she is being treated unfairly, but you don't care if she is. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not for me, she can rot under whatever stone she is lying below. 

That's half of it at least.

Other people think the only way to ensure our own rights, is to treat even the worst examples of humanity with fairness. They understand that if governments are allowed to pick and choose whose rights they respect, any of us might be next.

Finally, it's also possible to feel sorry for someone whilst also wanting her to face justice in a way that fully respects due process and the sanctity of the law—that is if the law actually means anything after all.

Malinga the Swinga

Like I said, some still feel sorry for her, despite her lack of regret for what she and her friends did. 

Her being denied entry to UK isn't unfair, kids being bombed at concert is unfair. She had choice, they did not. 

Nobody has said accept her back with open arms.

If the UK can be allowed to strip citizenship from anybody it doesn't like, then what's to stop China, Myanmar or anybody else for making undesirables stateless and have no legal protections at all?

Repatriate her, use the much-vaunted UK legal system, prosecute her and jail her.

It's not even as if the "strip citizenship" rule is being used across the board. Plenty of people come back from fighting overseas all the time but they're not being denied entry and stripped of status. She's being singled out for special treatment to appease the Daily Mail crowd. It's 100% political and nothing to do with international law.

But then we know how this government feels about international law.

And that's a slippery slope.