Sackable performance?

LarrysRightFoot

3 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

As much as I admire Craig Levein for his passion and enjoy the way he winds up other managers referees etc it is time for a change

Recruitment policy has been awful

Youngsters not coming through 

Style of football is terrible 

Constant  changing team shape

Players out of position 

Fear of playing attacking  football 

When you read ex players comments they don’t get what’s going on .Most tv pundits criticising about how slow and predictable we are.

To me the tactics look like lump it up top and see what happens .... 

Many threads on this and maybe one too many but he needs to go now 

? This is one of the best yet, completely full of holes

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dustybin

• Seymour M Hersh

• Peebo

• Chuck Berry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, MrB1to4 said:

Sergio? Burley? I'd assume that was in everybody's opinion 

Burley had more money than god to spend on the team, given a ‘normal’ budget for our club I’m not sure of the impact he’d have had.

My abiding memory of Sergio was that on the whole people didn’t like the way the team was playing (passing about at the back to draw out teams) and apart from the cup win, his cardigans and his press conferences on the whole it was a bit meh when he left. It could have been different with better players at his disposal...he had one hand tied behind his back.

JJ first time round won the cup, made good young signings and I would say was positive. However when given some cash he blew it and his team suffered from there. Second time round wasn’t great tbh.

The point I’m trying to make is that you need to look back to the 90’s to find a manager that’s absolutely won everyone over.

I think on balance Levein is a good to very good spl manager and once we get our 3-4  best players back up to speed we’ll kick on again.

5 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

Burley had more money than god to spend on the team, given a ‘normal’ budget for our club I’m not sure of the impact he’d have had.

My abiding memory of Sergio was that on the whole people didn’t like the way the team was playing (passing about at the back to draw out teams) and apart from the cup win, his cardigans and his press conferences on the whole it was a bit meh when he left. It could have been different with better players at his disposal...he had one hand tied behind his back.

JJ first time round won the cup, made good young signings and I would say was positive. However when given some cash he blew it and his team suffered from there. Second time round wasn’t great tbh.

The point I’m trying to make is that you need to look back to the 90’s to find a manager that’s absolutely won everyone over.

I think on balance Levein is a good to very good spl manager and once we get our 3-4  best players back up to speed we’ll kick on again.

Kevin Kyle's injury fecked JJ .

41 minutes ago, Archie White said:

I’d rather have Alexander than Doyle

I’d rather have Paterson than Smith

I’d rather have Eckersley than Mitchell or Garuccio

I’d rather have Walker, Gomis, Bauben & Holt than any of our current midfielders bar Djoum

I’d rather have Nicholson than Morrison

I’d rather have King than Mulraney

I’d rather have Sow than McLean

I’d rather have Zeefuik than Wighton or Clare

Our player recruitment since we gained promotion in ’15 has overall been simply appalling and one of the main reasons we are currently going through such a difficult period. Only Naismith, Haring, Berra & Soutar would improve the 2015 squad in my opinion. If we are going to improve dramatically then the scouting system must do the same or we will continue to be mid table. The club also prides itself on its youth system, but where is the talent? Either loaned out or simply not good enough. We are reliant on one player (Naismith) to turn the team around. With all the players that have come and gone in the past 4 years that’s just not good enough. I appreciate we operate in a blame culture these days and as the DOF is in charge of the footballing side the buck must stop at his door. He’s taken on board that title so he has to take on board the crap that goes with it. And the thought of Daly or McPhee as management replacements does not inspire at all.

Sorry, I’m not buying that! I’m sure we would have kept Alexander, Patterson and sow if we could and hadn’t need the money. 

As for the rest of them the jury was very much out on the majority of that list at the time, never mind now. What standard are most of them playing at today?

How can peope right off a team/manager that started so well and then lost 5 key players. If we’d had the same slump without injuries then people would have a point but I think most teams in our league would struggle with the injuries we’ve had.

Edited by DalryJambo

22 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

As much as I admire Craig Levein for his passion and enjoy the way he winds up other managers referees etc it is time for a change

Recruitment policy has been awful

Youngsters not coming through 

Style of football is terrible 

Constant  changing team shape

Players out of position 

Fear of playing attacking  football 

When you read ex players comments they don’t get what’s going on .Most tv pundits criticising about how slow and predictable we are.

To me the tactics look like lump it up top and see what happens .... 

Many threads on this and maybe one too many but he needs to go now 

Spot on!

Whilst I'd agree that the actual football is turgid I think the signings have been quite a mixed bag, don't think we'll get every signing right under any manager and I doubt any team does but we've got some gems in Haring, Uche and Naismith and some decent squad players too

On the topic of young players we've got Morrison playing every week, Godhino playing a few games and Cochrane and McDonald have a good few appearances considering their age. Even on Wednesday we gave Keena a game up front so not really seeing that angle

21 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

I totally agree. Even Neilson split opinion. 1st time JJ agree. Really need to win a cup, and provide consistence results. However, how we do it might not appease some. It seems we need to be in touching distance of 2nd and a cup win, whilst playing attacking entertaining football to have everyone on one side. 

13 minutes ago, MrB1to4 said:

I totally agree. Even Neilson split opinion. 1st time JJ agree. Really need to win a cup, and provide consistence results. However, how we do it might not appease some. It seems we need to be in touching distance of 2nd and a cup win, whilst playing attacking entertaining football to have everyone on one side. 

Isn't that what Hearts are all about. Playing entertaining attacking football and getting into top three and a cup final or are we now settling for boring play typical of mid league team.

1 hour ago, Archie White said:

I’d rather have Walker, Gomis, Bauben & Holt than any of our current midfielders bar Djoum

I'd rather our keeper wasn't the same age as Alexander The Great

I'd rather have Berra than Wilson

I'd rather have Souttar than McGhee

I'd rather have Smith at CB than Ozturk

I'd rather have Bozanic or Garrucio taking free kicks than Ozturk kicking them at a wall.

I'd rather have Smith at RB and play Paterson further forward

I'd rather have Garuccio than Eckersley

I'd rather have my 60 year old dad play in midfield than even think about Buaben ffs

I'd rather have Lee at his most cumbersome than Pallardo at his even more cumbersome.

I'd rather have Holt pretending to train elsewhere.

I''d rather have Naismith than Walker

I;d rather have Clare than Walker

I'd rather still have Nicholson but I'm rather fond of players not being leashed to their owners post Bosman.

I'd rather have McLean than the perpetually injured Fathima El Hassanou or whatever her name was.

I'd rather have Uche deep inside me than have this weird fetish for a returning Zeefuik 

Our player recruitment since we gained promotion in ’15 has overall been simply appalling and one of the main reasons we are currently going through such a difficult period. Only Naismith, Haring, Berra & Soutar would improve the 2015 squad in my opinion. If we are going to improve dramatically then the scouting system must do the same or we will continue to be mid table. The club also prides itself on its youth system, but where is the talent? Either loaned out or simply not good enough. We are reliant on one player (Naismith) to turn the team around. With all the players that have come and gone in the past 4 years that’s just not good enough. I appreciate we operate in a blame culture these days and as the DOF is in charge of the footballing side the buck must stop at his door. He’s taken on board that title so he has to take on board the crap that goes with it. And the thought of Daly or McPhee as management replacements does not inspire at all.

Good post. Interesting though that most of the players you mention from 2015 that have gone on to’ better things’ ie they all wanted to leave, have played very little first team football at their clubs eg Eckersley, Holt, Gomis, Buaben, King, Walker, Sow, Zeefuik, Nicholson. In most cases they are also at clubs playing at a lower level than Hearts. Only Paterson has gone on to better things. Maybe we dodged quite a few bullets. 

1 hour ago, Prof said:

Isn't that what Hearts are all about. Playing entertaining attacking football and getting into top three and a cup final or are we now settling for boring play typical of mid league team.

You've not been a Hearts fan all that long if you come along expecting entertaining attacking football!

In spells yes but it's not some king of ingrained philosophy of the club! In recent memory we've played entertaining football in the Burley/Rix/Ivanuskis 2005/2006 season and 2014/15 Championship season under Robbie. 

Outwith that, while games/results here and there have been great the style of football his been nothing short of turgid, don't you remember the football under Frail or Csaba Laslo or Paulo Sergio in the league or McGlynn or Locke or Cathro? 

INNERLEITHEN HMFC 1874

Attack is the best form of defence,we proved it beating celtic twice here,Levein says you

cant play like that every game.WHY NOT.

Edited by INNERLEITHEN HMFC 1874

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Good post. Interesting though that most of the players you mention from 2015 that have gone on to’ better things’ ie they all wanted to leave, have played very little first team football at their clubs eg Eckersley, Holt, Gomis, Buaben, King, Walker, Sow, Zeefuik, Nicholson. In most cases they are also at clubs playing at a lower level than Hearts. Only Paterson has gone on to better things. Maybe we dodged quite a few bullets. 

Yes that's a good point. But one of the points I was making was that based  on the form of the 2015 players at that time only  Naismith, Haring, Berra, Soutar and probably Djoum would improve that '15 squad in any way. That's less than half a team which is not much improvement in 4 years. I appreciate it was a division lower but they did romp it by over 20 points.

4 hours ago, cb1874 said:

People need to be wary of what they wish for....Budge has made the plans for ongoing succession pretty clear...it will be from within..so Austin or Daly. Therefore, if Levein was to leave (highly unlikely after 1 defeat in 4), we can forget about Steve Clarke, Jose Mourinho or anyone else on some JKB wishlist.

It better not be. If it is, she should get ready to kiss any football ambitions goodbye. And as for keeping CL on beyond his current 3 year deal - I'd suggest that is not a good idea as he is likely to become Hearts version of Matt Busby. Let CL see out his 3 years , get rid of him and start succession planning now - and that should include the coaching staff. Wednesday highlighted just how hopeless the whole set up is, from recruitment to coaching. Three years of dire football and piss poor footballers is enough to prove it's not working. 

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

You've not been a Hearts fan all that long if you come along expecting entertaining attacking football!

In spells yes but it's not some king of ingrained philosophy of the club! In recent memory we've played entertaining football in the Burley/Rix/Ivanuskis 2005/2006 season and 2014/15 Championship season under Robbie. 

Outwith that, while games/results here and there have been great the style of football his been nothing short of turgid, don't you remember the football under Frail or Csaba Laslo or Paulo Sergio in the league or McGlynn or Locke or Cathro? 

That's the sort of drivel that comes from a few on JKB and most Hibbies. I started watching Hearts in late 50's and we have always been at our best with fast attacking play. That's when we won cups, leagues and challenged at the top. It's no coincidence that the  team that scored the most goals in top flight in Scotland and the Championship was Hearts. A record that no other team has come close to.  Highlighting the crap managers we have had and their impact on the style of negative play merely confirms that CL is in the same box as the crap managers. Or maybe you think we are playing well.

We need the Halcyon days of league titles every year and Cup runs to Hampden and the Champions league football. 

Those where the days.

45 minutes ago, Archie White said:

Yes that's a good point. But one of the points I was making was that based  on the form of the 2015 players at that time only  Naismith, Haring, Berra, Soutar and probably Djoum would improve that '15 squad in any way. That's less than half a team which is not much improvement in 4 years. I appreciate it was a division lower but they did romp it by over 20 points.

Not sure I agree. Remember they were playing lower league clubs most weeks. Dumbarton, as an example. Makes players look better than they actually are. Of the players I mentioned only Walker and Sow have been regulars in the top league in Scotland 

1 hour ago, Prof said:

That's the sort of drivel that comes from a few on JKB and most Hibbies. I started watching Hearts in late 50's and we have always been at our best with fast attacking play. That's when we won cups, leagues and challenged at the top. It's no coincidence that the  team that scored the most goals in top flight in Scotland and the Championship was Hearts. A record that no other team has come close to.  Highlighting the crap managers we have had and their impact on the style of negative play merely confirms that CL is in the same box as the crap managers. Or maybe you think we are playing well.

At what point did I say we were playing well? I fully agree that we are at our best playing fast attacking football, the point I made was simply that outwith the 2 spells I mentioned, we have rarely seen fast attacking football at Hearts over the last 2 decades. If a team doesn't play a certain type of football regularly then you can't claim that it's some sort of Hearts footballing philosophy because thats how we played more than 60 years ago!

1 hour ago, Oliver Twist said:

We need the Halcyon days of league titles every year and Cup runs to Hampden and the Champions league football. 

Those where the days.

That old chestnut.

The best days for me was following Hearts under Alex MacDonald. We never won anything but we had a team and a manger who tried to win matches and at least had a go.

I don't mind not winning, but not winning because you are so scared of losing is poor.

Meanwhile CL "admitted his side had played better than he originally thought"

Jeezo...what game was he watching? We were rank right across the pitch....Seems he's easier to please than us over fussy fans! 

6 hours ago, Gigolo-Aunt said:

Mr Levein will plod along getting a few results here and there just doing enough to keep his head above water 

If it continues I'll no renew next season, no whilst Levein is in charge, i wasn't going to this year but had a change of heart at the last minute. I'll donate my season ticket money to Big Hearts instead 

19 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Meanwhile CL "admitted his side had played better than he originally thought"

Jeezo...what game was he watching? We were rank right across the pitch....Seems he's easier to please than us over fussy fans! 

To be fair we did get to the goal-line multiple times only for ball in not reach anyone in maroon. Uche and Naismith would have taken some of those chances on Wednesday. Surprised more hasn’t been made of the cross ball about a metre from the goal line that both McLean and Mitchell managed to miss. 

5 hours ago, Archie White said:

Good post.

5 hours ago, Prof said:

Excellent post.

Except that many of the players listed are players we could never have afforded to keep (likes of Paterson, Sow, Holt, Walker, to name but a few), and several are players who have not performed notably well since leaving us, so perhaps we got the best out of them. It's not really an excellent post because it does not get us anywhere or point out any mistakes that were made. I'm sure Levein would have been delighted to hold onto many of these players.

32 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

If it continues I'll no renew next season, no whilst Levein is in charge, i wasn't going to this year but had a change of heart at the last minute. I'll donate my season ticket money to Big Hearts instead 

JKB breaths a massive sigh of relief.

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

Except that many of the players listed are players we could never have afforded to keep (likes of Paterson, Sow, Holt, Walker, to name but a few), and several are players who have not performed notably well since leaving us, so perhaps we got the best out of them. It's not really an excellent post because it does not get us anywhere or point out any mistakes that were made. I'm sure Levein would have been delighted to hold onto many of these players.

I understand that but the point I was making was that if you take the current squad and merge it with the 2015 squad at that time then only 5 players of today's squad would enhance it so we have not moved forward enough in player recruitment to  account for life in the top division. The others in today's squad are just not good enough.

When Levein said a few months back that sometimes he tries to be too smart with his tactics and lineups, that rang alarm bells but did not really surprise most of us.

I have convinced myself that he sets up worrying about the teams we are playing, rather than letting them worry about us.

8 hours ago, Prof said:

Quite the opposite. We should be in 2 semis a season and be challenging for 2nd. Whilst playing entertaining football. But the point is who has done these things as hearts manager with full backing of a unified support? Its been a while. 

I understand that but the point I was making was that if you take the current squad and merge it with the 2015 squad at that time then only 5 players of today's squad would enhance it so we have not moved forward enough in player recruitment to  account for life in the top division. The others in today's squad are just not good enough.

You might be right, but spare a thought for the manager and all the backroom team. Managing a football team in today's conditions, where players move on so quickly, where if you develop a great player you'll not be able to hold onto him, and where you are constantly wheeling and dealing, making short-term signings and so on, is just so difficult. Every now and again, the stars will align and you'll secure a Berra or a Naismith, for a while, but they'll be at a point in their careers where they're more injury-prone. You can't easily replace players like Sow or Paterson, not like-for-like.

Levein himself had a heart attack not so long ago, and was back at work in no time. He deserves our support. He has mine.

We expect too much.

10 hours ago, Archie White said:

Great post and spot on.

11 hours ago, Archie White said:

Can't argue with this

11 hours ago, Gigolo-Aunt said:

Mr Levein will plod along getting a few results here and there just doing enough to keep his head above water 

Like at the start of the season?

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, INNERLEITHEN HMFC 1874 said:

Attack is the best form of defence,we proved it beating celtic twice here,Levein says you

cant play like that every game.WHY NOT.

Because we tried it against Celtic and Rangers last and this season respectively and were 2 or 3 down within 30 minutes and slaughtered. 

Don't get me wrong I'm all for Doddie's up and at em style but play like that all the time now and expect horsings of Jimmy Calderwood scale on a regular basis.

11 hours ago, Archie White said:

This makes no sense. Are Eckersley and Alexander even playing? King has done nothing to suggest he can play at this level. And all of the players you'd rather have were also brought in under Levein as DoF. Paterson, Nicolson and Walker left under freedom of contract and we got money for them. We couldn't turn down over a million for Sow. Alexander chose to leave, too. Zeefuik would have cost us a lot to keep.

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Like at the start of the season?

Difficult question if he was in hiding or too busy on Bears Den when we had a fit squad running over the top of the opposition. 

Sow, Eckersley, Gomis wtf were they frozen back in 2015 and not aged or become less injury prone? Time does not stand still every football club in the world has squad turnover. 

I do however agree that the Daly/McPhee dream team does not fill me with confidence.

I think we will see CL until the end of the season and I will judge then.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

This makes no sense. Are Eckersley and Alexander even playing? King has done nothing to suggest he can play at this level. And all of the players you'd rather have were also brought in under Levein as DoF. Paterson, Nicolson and Walker left under freedom of contract and we got money for them. We couldn't turn down over a million for Sow. Alexander chose to leave, too. Zeefuik would have cost us a lot to keep.

Yes I know what you mean but my point is that if the squad of today is taken back to 2015 only about 5 players from today would improve the squad in 2015.  I understand why most of them left but I'm talking about what it was at that time back in the championship. 

14 hours ago, cb1874 said:

People need to be wary of what they wish for....Budge has made the plans for ongoing succession pretty clear...it will be from within..so Austin or Daly. Therefore, if Levein was to leave (highly unlikely after 1 defeat in 4), we can forget about Steve Clarke, Jose Mourinho or anyone else on some JKB wishlist.

To be fair to Budge no-one ever foresaw her handing Levein the job! I assume we'd do a similar thing and assess the internal candidates as well as inviting applications and sounding people out.

Fort Vallance
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Eckersley just signed for Forfar until the end of the season.

52 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

To be fair to Budge no-one ever foresaw her handing Levein the job! I assume we'd do a similar thing and assess the internal candidates as well as inviting applications and sounding people out.

You mean like we did objectively the last time, then suddenly realised one of the interviewers was the perfect candidate?

Do you button up the back?

1 minute ago, Jlv2004 said:

You mean like we did objectively the last time, then suddenly realised one of the interviewers was the perfect candidate?

Do you button up the back?

I think we can all agree that won't happen again unless Budge is breaking out the tracksuit.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I think we can all agree that won't happen again unless Budge is breaking out the tracksuit.

Probably not but can we also all agree that was an insult to the intelligence?

We're also still going to have the failed manager interviewing prospective new managers, and in a senior position to them.

3 minutes ago, Jlv2004 said:

Probably not but can we also all agree that was an insult to the intelligence?

We're also still going to have the failed manager interviewing prospective new managers, and in a senior position to them.

Well, he steadied us defensively, made us hard to beat at home again, got us winning in derbies and cup ties again, transformed the squad from the one he inherited, and romped to the top of the league this year before injuries screwed us so I'm cool with it.

Edited by Guest

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Well, he steadied us defensively, made us hard to beat at home again, got us winning in derbies and cup ties again, transformed the squad from the one he inherited, and romped to the top of the league this year before injuries screwed us so I'm cool with it.

OK then.

If you're happy, great.

3 minutes ago, Jlv2004 said:

OK then.

If you're happy, great.

I'm happy we have a guy in charge who can take the current squad and get us playing well and winning games, because he proved that for over a quarter of the season already when he had his main men fit.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm happy we have a guy in charge who can take the current squad and get us playing well and winning games, because he proved that for over a quarter of the season already when he had his main men fit.

Right then. Nothing to worry about. 

Pasquale for King
21 hours ago, Archie White said:

Great post ??

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

And now has us 6th in the league. How we started is irrelevant now really. We are mid table mediocrity now. We had souttar back on the park on Wednesday - only uche and Haring to come back. 

Its ok though as the level of ambition we have in our apologetic fans is beating Hibs