What does Craig Levein see that we don’t?

Muppetboy

In reference to the ineffectual Sean Clare and Craig wighton. There’s many on here who would like to think they know a player when they see one, but the majority believe they may not cut it. I have faith in Craig but is it misplaced sometimes?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• EastSideJambo

• Beast Boy

...a bit disco

To be fair, there's quite a few in the game who have quoted both players, not just Levein.

1 minute ago, Muppetboy said:

In reference to the ineffectual Sean Clare and Craig wighton. There’s many on here who would like to think they know a player when they see one, but the majority believe they may not cut it. I have faith in Craig but is it misplaced sometimes?

Not every transfer works out, no matter what end of the market you're shopping in. And it's way too soon to know how it'll work out with the two you mention.

1 minute ago, Muppetboy said:

Both out for long periods with injury both bought as long term projects

both having to play in a team suffering from injuries to its backbone players,which has lost a bit of confidence because of this.

both having made 2-3 appearances.

Really?? the majority believe they may not cut it? really!!

Who are you referring to exactly, other than Clare and Wighton, McLean maybe?

First two are new recruits who are still not yet up to speed. Mclean's been getting plaudits. Some players are being used because of our injury situation, and we're joint top of the league.

Edited by upgotheheads

3 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

He can't get it right all the time but it's too early to tell for both. I've seen Clare about 5 times, Wighton maybe 4 off the top of my head? Far too early to judge. 

I'll admit both have been disappointing but I'm not writing either off completely just yet. Clare especially as he doesn't know the league or opposition yet. Wighton doesn't quite have that excuse but then again we are a level above Dundee, so he should be given time to adjust to expectations here. It's unfortunate these players are under such pressure but given injuries we need them to step up and prove they can do it.

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Who are you referring to exactly, Clare, Wighton, McLean maybe?

First two are new recruits who are still not yet up to speed. Mclean's been getting plaudits. Some players are being used because of our injury situation, and we're joint top of the league.

Not McLean. Many here believe they can spot a player and also someone who may not cut it. I’m not making any judgement as I’ve seen neither long enough to judge. I’ll leave that to others

I don’t know the first thing about Sean Clare but he was very highly thought of down south.

People who know way more about Scottish football than me think the same about Wighton. I thought, first half yesterday we saw what Wighton is capable of. 

Be a few weeks before we’ll see better but the wait will be worth it IMO

CL also gets to see them train all week, which we don’t 

Edited by Jamhammer

queensferryjambo

What Levein sees that we don't is the players training every day.

Edit - I see Jamhammer beat me to it :) 

Edited by queensferryjambo

Bazzas right boot

Clare and Wighton were not meant to be like for like a ke replacements for Ulche and Naismith . 

Both have been thrown in with little game time. 

Give them time Ffs and don't compare them to the above two. 

Most of our signings have had a positive impact. 

I’m hopeful in time we will see the quality these boys possess. Circumstances dictate whether quality takes time to flourish but in the end you’re either good enough or you arent

Captain Bubblebeard

Can someone definitively confirm what Clare’s preferred position is for me please? I’m thinking it was suggested wide right when he signed but not sure if I’ve made that up?

Fort Vallance

As far as Clare is concerned its definately too early to form an opinion. He hasn't played enough football recently but seems to be rated by others and not just CL. Wighton I'd probably agree with the OP. He wasn't bad on Saturday but he's had a few years at this level, albeit with a few injuries but I've seen nothing to suggest he's an improvement on what we already have.

19 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

To answer the question in the most literal sense. Training sessions are what he sees that we don't and hours of video analysis. Whether that shapes his view or not, I don't know.

I imagine he's more patient than fans are also. It's not unfair to say that they have both been poor so far though.

Not seen enough of either to pass comment but common sense says that Wednesday fans were pissed Clare left and Wighton has made over 100 professional appearances and he's only 21. Both clearly have something about them. 

Give them time. Both will come good. 

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

Not seen enough of either to pass comment but common sense says that Wednesday fans were pissed Clare left and Wighton has made over 100 professional appearances and he's only 21. Both clearly have something about them. 

Common sense on JKB - an underrated skill:thumbsup:

Sean Clare is a slightly different type of player, it would seem to me he likes to give and recieve short passes into feet in a central midfield position. So far with very little game time without doing anything remotely spectacular he has looked neat and tidy. He and Wighton both need a bit of slack (or is it  rope!) especially Clare who I think will come very good. Wighton just needs a goal and it would seem he had one so he too needs to be given a bit more time. That said supporters need to see some chinks of light to keep them onside.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

sean Clare will be excellent for hearts hopefully wighton will be too

the fox knows it too

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

2 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

I’m hopeful in time we will see the quality these boys possess. Circumstances dictate whether quality takes time to flourish but in the end you’re either good enough or you arent

“In the end” being the important part.

EastSideJambo

Way too early to judge either player 

Reluctance to use Mitchell higher up the park is possibly a missed opportunity that could take of pressure off aforementioned pair 

3 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

What does he see in them?  Well, what they've done in lots of previous games, for starters.  Then there's what they do in training.  He's seen a hell of a lot more of both of them than you have!  And he's also aware that neither of them is currently fully at peak fitness, sharpness, or confidence.  He's said himself (numerous times with regard to Clare) that he didn't really want to be playing either of them yet, but that he's been largely forced to due to injury problems.

But yeah, some muppets who've seen one start and a few sub appearances from each of them are obviously likely to know better!

3 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Not McLean. Many here believe they can spot a player and also someone who may not cut it. I’m not making any judgement as I’ve seen neither long enough to judge. I’ll leave that to others

Most of them are wrong!!!!

3 hours ago, OTT said:

To be fair, either or both might not come good!  I believe they both will though!  It's far too early to tell just now though, and also far too early to be questioning the signing of them.

fabienleclerq

I think the best thing to do regarding Clare is look at Naismith this year. He had never had a proper start to the season and was way down in fitness. We won't see the best of Sean Clare until next season.

Wighton at the moment looks well short but I think it's a confidence issue. He's 21 and just moved club's after being injured and Hearts paid good money for him. I think with him again it's going to be the latter part of the season or next year we will see his best.

Also these players (wighton especially) are getting thrown in due to the Injuries we have, they aren't coming in to our best team which would make life easier. I think both will come good, we just need to get the 100% and find their best position.

4 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

What does he see in them?  Well, what they've done in lots of previous games, for starters.  Then there's what they do in training.  He's seen a hell of a lot more of both of them than you have!  And he's also aware that neither of them is currently fully at peak fitness, sharpness, or confidence.  He's said himself (numerous times with regard to Clare) that he didn't really want to be playing either of them yet, but that he's been largely forced to due to injury problems.

But yeah, some muppets who've seen one start and a few sub appearances from each of them are obviously likely to know better!

The ‘muppets’ choose to voice their discontent on here every Saturday night, rightly or wrongly. I already said I’ve not seen enough of them to judge so don’t believe I can have an informed opinion hence the original posts wording

It’s been a problem with Hearts fans for as long as I care to remember. If a player isn’t earning rave reviews in his first few games then he’s written off.

I’ve absolutely no doubt that both players will do well for Hearts in the future.

Edited by iantjambo

As fans I think we have been expecting something more exciting from Clare, but he looks like he is under instruction to keep it simple and safe for now, it also may be lack of confidence on his part, after an injury and a long spell out. Our midfield players though in general sit too deep and do not make runs to get beyond the strikers, and I have been more disappointed with the experienced Lee and Djoum lately. Bozanic is more energetic and should be getting more game time at their expense. It may actually be better having Haring as the attacking midfielder for now in Naismiths role in some games. Saturday is gone, we could have won but lacked a cutting edge. Killie are a decent well organised team. We need to gain as many points as possible until players come back and the January window comes round so we can kick on again. Hang in.

10 hours ago, merrymac said:

Both out for long periods with injury both bought as long term projects

both having to play in a team suffering from injuries to its backbone players,which has lost a bit of confidence because of this.

both having made 2-3 appearances.

Really?? the majority believe they may not cut it? really!!

This all over.

Both clearly would not  have featured yet in a fully fit squad.

I actully think both have shown potential with little touches and flicks but so far look well off the pace of the game which will come in time   

The Future's Maroon
9 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Clare will be class Wigton gash.  Guaranteed to be on different ends of the wage brackets. 

Jesus!

How many starts has Wighton had, yet your qualified to state as fact he is gash?

I need to go back to my previous own rule....avoid JKB after a defeat for a few days.

joondalupjambo
10 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Sean Clare is a slightly different type of player, it would seem to me he likes to give and recieve short passes into feet in a central midfield position. So far with very little game time without doing anything remotely spectacular he has looked neat and tidy.

I thought he looked good in the recent Derby during the second half when CL moved him into that position.  To me he looked like that is where he would want to play in the long term.  He appears a confident type and running the show is probably where he sees himself when fully fit. 

Wighton I agree with as he looks like a rabbit in the headlights.  I saw enough from Clare on Saturday to see that he will be a good player for us.  If the shot he had had gone in that's the sort of thing that propels you to better things. 

Not disagreeing with the assessments, but to balance it, there were quite a few on here (not me), who weren’t impressed with Naismith last season -& he’s our main player now. 

2 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

Not disagreeing with the assessments, but to balance it, there were quite a few on here (not me), who weren’t impressed with Naismith last season -& he’s our main player now. 

It happens with multiple players season on season, and it comes down to a lack of understanding over injuries, fitness, recovery and match sharpness.

11 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Give them time

Clare needs time to adapt to the pace and physical nature of the game in Scotland, which something he’s clearly never experienced in England as he thinks he’s got an extra touch and ends up getting robbed or gets nudged off the ball a bit too easily.

Wighton needs game game time and confidence. 

Both are young guys who haven’t had the same preparation pre-season as the rest of the squad. Writing them off after a handful of appearances is unfair. These are lads who will probably prove to be cracking signings over the coming months and years. 

There was far too much hype especially on here when Clare signed, give the boy a chance, he got about 10 mins on Saturday! As for Wighton, looked like he had some good touches against Killie, a few give and goes and looks like a decent player, however again lets just remember he is probably 4th choice striker at the club. 

Not so long ago on here the ineffectual John Soutar was never a centre half. Give them time and support and let the experts  spot the potential. 

The Old Tolbooth

Am I the only one who thought Wighton had a very good first half on Saturday, and then suffered from a severe lack of service in the second half? The one chance he did get in the second half he tucked away, and was a bit unfortunate to be offside. 

We_are_the_Hearts
5 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Am I the only one who thought Wighton had a very good first half on Saturday, and then suffered from a severe lack of service in the second half? The one chance he did get in the second half he tucked away, and was a bit unfortunate to be offside. 

Probably. It was McLean that tucked the offside one away. Wighton was poor again. No composure and looks like a rabbit in the headlights. 

The Old Tolbooth
Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Probably. It was McLean that tucked the offside one away. Wighton was poor again. No composure and looks like a rabbit in the headlights. 

Ah, apologies, I was at the other end and thought it was Wighton, and have been off here since Saturday as it will be the usual car crash of a message board after an unlucky loss. 

Seems to me the lad just needs a bit of confidence, he had some lovely touches and moves in the first half and was ulucky a couple of times, there's a player in there somewhere, but he drifted out of the game completely in the second half, but then so do everyone apart from Haring really. 

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Ah, apologies, I was at the other end and thought it was Wighton, and have been off here since Saturday as it will be the usual car crash of a message board after an unlucky loss. 

Seems to me the lad just needs a bit of confidence, he had some lovely touches and moves in the first half and was ulucky a couple of times, there's a player in there somewhere, but he drifted out of the game completely in the second half, but then so do everyone apart from Haring really.  

Can't really argue with your analysis there. I hope it's just confidence but he seems very lightweight as well.

The Old Tolbooth
14 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Can't really argue with your analysis there. I hope it's just confidence but he seems very lightweight as well.

Yeah he is, he wouldn't come out on top in many 50/50 challenges tbf mate 

26 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Am I the only one who thought Wighton had a very good first half on Saturday, and then suffered from a severe lack of service in the second half? 

No. You are not the only one. I think you and I are in the majority to be honest, but this place is not called Kickback for nothing. There is a proud tradition of trying desperately hard to demotivate young talent, thereby undermining the team, because who wants success?

Back to the title of this thread 'what does Craig Leveing see that we don't?'  Fortunately, he sees lots of things that we don't, which is why we are still second in the league. He knows how to run a football club, for a start.

The Old Tolbooth
8 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

No. You are not the only one. I think you and I are in the majority to be honest, but this place is not called Kickback for nothing. There is a proud tradition of trying desperately hard to demotivate young talent, thereby undermining the team, because who wants success?

Back to the title of this thread 'what does Craig Leveing see that we don't?'  Fortunately, he sees lots of things that we don't, which is why we are still second in the league. He knows how to run a football club, for a start.

:2thumbsup: