Time to stop the Billy Boys pish ( Merged )

carnockjambo

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

That's exactly what's wrong with it.

The song needs to go altogether because it connotes the sectarian version in people's minds.

It needs to go because there is ambiguity over what is actually being chanted.

It needs to go because some fans singing "hullo hullo" makes us all sound like sectarian morons.  

And the union flags need to go too because seeing them around the stadium makes us all look like sectarian morons.

Bet you the hibs Union Jack confused a few of our brains trust, tho. ?

The red hand of ulster flag ?

The tri colour ?

****ing shambles looking back on it. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• number witheld

• Hearts_fan

• Pasquale for King

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Been saying it for years, ban all countries flags and that’s it sorted. Red hand of Ulster flags last night ffs ?.

It's maddening. 

I understand Wallace Mercer once barred Union flags because he recognised that their presence at Tynecastle was sectarian.

In the context of last night and the damage being done to the images of both HMFC and to us the Club's supporters, I think Budge would find groundswell support for such anti-sectarian measures such as banning symbols of sectarianism and the ejection of sectarian morons. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I am very anti catholicism. However I am also very anti protestantism, Islam and ______insert all other mythical bollox here____. I do not want this shite sung at our ground. Let the sectarian sisters along the M8 have it as 'their thing'.

Me too ??

Pasquale for King
Just now, Hearts_fan said:

It's maddening. 

I understand Wallace Mercer once barred Union flags because he recognised that their presence at Tynecastle was sectarian.

In the context of last night and the damage being done to the images of both HMFC and to us the Club's supporters, I think Budge would find groundswell support for such anti-sectarian measures such as banning symbols of sectarianism and the ejection of sectarian morons. 

Something has to be done.

been here before
3 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Sung quite widely faded out at the hibees / fenian blood stage , thankfully at least where I was - Wheatfield E.

Noticeably also the case around C.

Hello Hello 

We are the Gorgie boys

Hello Hello 

You'll know us by our noise

And you can hear us singing

From Haymarket to Dalry

As we go marching through Gorgie

I believe the original version was Hoorah, Hoorah.. lol. Shows how old it was.

"Marching through Georgia" was a very uplifting civil war tune.

It's a shame our original version has been hijacked by these scum.

Agree 100% with OP.  Its been gradually on the rise and is now becoming embarrassing.  There's a group call themselves Dunfy Hearts who have started frequenting Bensons.  Some of them look like they are just out of nursery school but they are hammering away with "up to our knees in F****** blood" and **** the Pope etc.  Just as bad is the song about RAF shooting down German bombers.  Wouldn't be so bad if the ignorant shites actually had any idea what they are singing about.  Same thing before Celtic game in Tynie Arms a robust crowd hammering away with billy boys songs.  If you want to sing that crap then Ibrox is west.  

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

This. It's a shame because the actual tune is excellent. It has too many connotations though. Very difficult to police however if lots of people are singing it. It would have to be  policed internally by Hearts fans.

That would just end up with the fighting that was seen on Sunday, I wouldn’t want to get banned for doing something that the club/stewards and Police are responsible for. I understand the club wants a full stadium but how many people are put off coming or bringing kids by these morons?

Am I just imagining that it has become more prevalent since the Offensive Behaviour Act got repealed?

Whatever, it's dire stuff.

Captain Lithuania

My least favourite thing about going to Hearts games is other Hearts supporters. This has been the case for at least 10 years. 

Edited by Arnaud Djoum

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

That would just end up with the fighting that was seen on Sunday, I wouldn’t want to get banned for doing something that the club/stewards and Police are responsible for. I understand the club wants a full stadium but how many people are put off coming or bringing kids by these morons?

Aye, it's a fair point. There's no way that stewards or police would do anything though, so self-policing might be the only way forward. Unless of course the club bans the song and then, through video evidence, bans those who start singing it. It would take some work to do though.

Just now, HEARTS_1874 said:

Hearts Fans will sing "Hullo Hullo" for years to come. always have and always will..

Close thread.

Wow, that's a positive contribution. Only 25 posts in as well. ;)

So, your interesting opinion aside, are you in favour of bigotry at football matches? Honest question.

Unfortunately, JKB is not representative of the wider Hearts family. Every week, I still see Red Hand of Ulster flags and Union Jacks carried by older boys at Tynecastle who, chances are, don't even know this forum exists. I rarely, if ever, see these lot challegend as fervently in person as I see them derided on here from behind a keyboard.

And, although I couldn't give a rip who is Catholic or who isn't or who is Protestant or isn't and have never sung any of these songs in my life, I am really unsettled about talk of banning flags or banning songs. If someone wants to be a tit, then let them be a tit. It doesn't make everyone else within ten yards a tit as well.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Haken said:

Am I just imagining that it has become more prevalent since the Offensive Behaviour Act got repealed?

Whatever, it's dire stuff.

It’s part of it, along with the signing of Lafferty and other NI players. We then toured NI last year which in hindsight wasn’t the best idea. Society in general has seen the far right emboldened and sectarian/Xenophobic/Racism on the rise with Trump/Farage/Robinson and others all around Europe and beyond. These fans were critical of Budge and wanted her out for sanitising Tynecastle but they’re not saying it now. We now have a bigger stadium and are these cretins being tolerated to try and fill it, whilst putting off decent minded folk from attending. All hypothetical of course but it’s how I see the situation.

3 hours ago, HEARTS_1874 said:

We don't sing the "Billy Boys" we sing the "Gorgie Boys"

:scenes:

Ahhh ok ... both still up to their knees though eh???

2 minutes ago, Highlander said:

Unfortunately, JKB is not representative of the wider Hearts family. Every week, I still see Red Hand of Ulster flags and Union Jacks carried by older boys at Tynecastle who, chances are, don't even know this forum exists. I rarely, if ever, see these lot challegend as fervently in person as I see them derided on here from behind a keyboard.

And, although I couldn't give a rip who is Catholic or who isn't or who is Protestant or isn't and have never sung any of these songs in my life, I am really unsettled about talk of banning flags or banning songs. If someone wants to be a tit, then let them be a tit. It doesn't make everyone else within ten yards a tit as well.

One single tit managed to bring Hearts as a club into disrepute yesterday. The whole idea is to try to foster an atmosphere and environment where the tits don't get emboldened to act in ways that work against our club. Red Hands of Ulster, Union Jacks, and "Hello Hello" don't foster such an environment.

Usually the song can be heard coming from Sections G and N predominantly. Some others in the ground sing along but in general those are the two areas of the ground that sing it. 

On occasion however, in a high profile game (Hibs, Celtic and even Rangers despite the connotations of the song) when a flash point occurs, like a bad tackle or a scuffle between the two sets of players, Hullo Hullo can be heard ringing around all sections of the Hearts support. If I’m being honest it creates a terrific atmosphere at these times. But it is absolutely unacceptable to sing and continue on with this sectarian pish. 

IMO, if folk sing Gorgie boys and hibee blood the song is acceptable. No one in their right mind actually means they wish to be in any way up to their knees in hibee blood. I’d imagine if they were they’d come out with a horrible infection. But there is a certain level of hatred that a football song can include and still be acceptable. Take for example the end of “we’re going to Europe”. Not many of us would actually smash a hibee with a hammer but that is widely seen as an acceptable thing to sing. If football were to go too PG we’d be at risk of losing those poisonous atmospheres that don’t cross the line that make a for fantastic spectacle.

Finally, I can’t stand the notion that every club has a number of bad eggs that are the “minority”. It’s a complete cop out. Minority means less than half. At the moment we have a problem with a section of our support that have actually come to believe the sectarian bile that gets spouted. Those in the Shandon on Sunday morning managed a full rendition of German Bombers. Songs about the pope, Union jacks, fighter planes are so irrelevant. There are plenty other far more genuine reasons to detest Celtic and Hibernian than religion. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Aye, it's a fair point. There's no way that stewards or police would do anything though, so self-policing might be the only way forward. Unless of course the club bans the song and then, through video evidence, bans those who start singing it. It would take some work to do though.

I think that will be the inevitable conclusion, then you have the Rangers fans singing it en masse. I suppose it’s too much to ask for the SFA to do something about it.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I think that will be the inevitable conclusion, then you have the Rangers fans singing it en masse. I suppose it’s too much to ask for the SFA to do something about it.

I think we just have to leave Rangers fans to Rangers, concentrate on our own club and fans. The SFA will indeed do SFA.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Wow, that's a positive contribution. Only 25 posts in as well. ;)

So, your interesting opinion aside, are you in favour of bigotry at football matches? Honest question.

I for one don't sing the song however it does not bother me in the slightest. as i said it has been sang at hearts games home and away for years and it will not stop because kickbackers don't like it.

I for one don't sing the song however it does not bother me in the slightest. as i said it has been sang at hearts games home and away for years and it will not stop because kickbackers don't like it.

You didn't answer the question.

33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do you think singing that we’re up to our knees in Hibee blood is an acceptable thing to sing? The song needs to go as it will always be corrupted.

If you find that offensive then maybe football isn’t for you.

I was more concerned about the songs about Liam Miller by about 5 clowns after the game. That’s unacceptable.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

One single tit managed to bring Hearts as a club into disrepute yesterday. The whole idea is to try to foster an atmosphere and environment where the tits don't get emboldened to act in ways that work against our club. Red Hands of Ulster, Union Jacks, and "Hello Hello" don't foster such an environment.

And if you feel that way, that is fine, I won't stand in the way of your right to wear a black and white striped shirt, blow your whistle and call a foul every time you hear or see something that refers to Catholics or Protestants. In  fact, I will defend your right to express yourself freely, but I also won't be choosing to get as upset as you will and that is my right. I go to football for the football. How others conduct themselves is their business. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think we just have to leave Rangers fans to Rangers, concentrate on our own club and fans. The SFA will indeed do SFA.

When they’re at Tynie we should police them though. Get the names of every single fan, any sectarian songs and every one of them is banned, keep doing it until it stops. Won’t happen because it would cost us money but it would be worth it.

1 minute ago, Highlander said:

And if you feel that way, that is fine, I won't stand in the way of your right to wear a black and white striped shirt, blow your whistle and call a foul every time you hear or see something that refers to Catholics or Protestants. In  fact, I will defend your right to express yourself freely, but I also won't be choosing to get as upset as you will and that is my right. I go to football for the football. How others conduct themselves is their business. 

Who said I was upset? :)I want to see the end of bigoted behaviour at my club, but that doesn't make me upset, just desiring of change.

How others conduct themselves is their business. 

Not if it adversely affects our club, it isn't.

Totally agree with the original post.

It is time for this song to be banned regardless of the version being sung.

The club should announce that anyone singing it will be banned for the rest of the season. If even a handful of fans receive bans everyone else will think twice.

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s part of it, along with the signing of Lafferty and other NI players. We then toured NI last year which in hindsight wasn’t the best idea. Society in general has seen the far right emboldened and sectarian/Xenophobic/Racism on the rise with Trump/Farage/Robinson and others all around Europe and beyond. These fans were critical of Budge and wanted her out for sanitising Tynecastle but they’re not saying it now. We now have a bigger stadium and are these cretins being tolerated to try and fill it, whilst putting off decent minded folk from attending. All hypothetical of course but it’s how I see the situation.

So we shouldn’t sign players from NI because some people are bigots regardless of the team they support?

You called the UJ a ‘butcher’s apron’ on another thread as well. 

Why is your intolerance any better than what we witnessed last night and Sunday? This is discrimination by any other name, and it’s disgraceful, same as some of what we have seen on these occasions.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, maroonexile said:

If you find that offensive then maybe football isn’t for you.

I was more concerned about the songs about Liam Miller by about 5 clowns after the game. That’s unacceptable.

I’ve been a Hearts fan since I was born, 1st game in 1972 aged 2.5 and I’ve not only sang and heard every song until I was mature enough to realise they were wrong. So I know all about football thanks.

If you think being up to your knees in anyone’s blood is acceptable then you need help.

Songs about Miller and Jay Beattie are just as bad as the Billy Boys or songs in support of Tommy Robinson or about Lee Rigby or Bobby Sands.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Who said I was upset? :)I want to see the end of bigoted behaviour at my club, but that doesn't make me upset, just desiring of change.

How others conduct themselves is their business. 

Not if it adversely affects our club, it isn't.

And, good for you, go for it, I respect your right to challenge sectarian behaviour as and when you encounter it at Tynecastle. I hope you'll also respect my right to sit on my arse and watch the game instead. 

don't care about it either way as i am not easily offended.

I don't care if you are easily offended or not to be honest. Just because folk want rid of displays of bigotry at our club doesn't mean that they are "easily offended" in any case. I'm surprised that you didn't have room to throw in a "snowflake" comment or two as well. :)

Look, if you are comfortable enough with displays of bigotry at our club, then that's your choice. However, if others aren't, that's their choice as well. And I would like to think that the latter are in the vast majority these days.

Southport_Jambo

Learn the proper words boys and girls. Swap 'Hooray' for 'Hello' to give it a bit of oomph. PHM know the words ?

3 minutes ago, Highlander said:

And, good for you, go for it, I respect your right to challenge sectarian behaviour as and when you encounter it at Tynecastle. I hope you'll also respect my right to sit on my arse and watch the game instead. 

Your right is hereby respected. :)

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, maroonexile said:

So we shouldn’t sign players from NI because some people are bigots regardless of the team they support?

You called the UJ a ‘butcher’s apron’ on another thread as well. 

Why is your intolerance any better than what we witnessed last night and Sunday? This is discrimination by any other name, and it’s disgraceful, same as some of what we have seen on these occasions.

I always call it that and if you want to go into the history of it go and look it up, you making a connection of my use of a term to describe a flag on an online forum with Sectarian abuse and the aftermath of this shows your ooor grasp of the situation. I’m intolerant of all religions, I don’t sing songs about at football matches, does that help?

As for NI players apart from Lafferty they’re generally bog standard and no better than some our youngsters who should be brought on instead. Smith is no better than Brandon or Godhino and Hughes wage could be spent on someone who’s got enough to play 90 minutes. So maybe until you and your friends can behave then maybe we shouldn’t sign them, we haven’t had any apart from Kirk for 30 years since Dave McCreery.

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I always call it that and if you want to go into the history of it go and look it up, you making a connection of my use of a term to describe a flag on an online forum with Sectarian abuse and the aftermath of this shows your ooor grasp of the situation. I’m intolerant of all religions, I don’t sing songs about at football matches, does that help?

Just nationalities then? You are targeting people from NI based on their nationality. Do you think this is acceptable?

No mention of religion in your post. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, maroonexile said:

Just nationalities then? You are targeting people from NI based on their nationality. Do you think this is acceptable?

No mention of religion in your post. 

I was trying to explain the situation to you.

As I clumsily said unless they’re a good player I don’t see the point of getting NI players, like Hughes to keep him fit for MacPhees other job, Lafferty was a great player for us but the baggage and the chance to sing songs about flutes made it a bit unpalatable for me.Why do you think there were Red hand of Ulster flags last night, to support Smith ??‍♂️? I just don’t think NI players are that good to be brutally honest and or better than our academy graduates whos profess they might block,  we did try for Liam Boyce who would’ve done a good job. I wouldn’t advocate us buying players from Luxembourg, am I being harsh about them too?

number witheld

Very rarely post but saw this thread on twitter so had to log on. Time for supporters to get out of the dark ages and forget this song, or any variation of it. Its frankly embarrassing and does nothing else other than blackens the name of the club. Its neither funny, or witty nor is it i imagine particularly rousing for the players - especially those who may themselves be catholic or have friends or family members who choose that particular faith. Its archaic and collectively we are surely better than this. Feels like lowest common denominator stuff and if we want to be a modern welcoming support to players and fans from all walks of life then those who sing it need to drag their knuckles off the floor and head along the M8. How are we going to attract future investment from sponsors etc if we singing songs about being up to the knees in someones blood. total joke and anyone who sings it, or any version of it, should hang their heads in shame.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, number witheld said:

Very rarely post but saw this thread on twitter so had to log on. Time for supporters to get out of the dark ages and forget this song, or any variation of it. Its frankly embarrassing and does nothing else other than blackens the name of the club. Its neither funny, or witty nor is it i imagine particularly rousing for the players - especially those who may themselves be catholic or have friends or family members who choose that particular faith. Its archaic and collectively we are surely better than this. Feels like lowest common denominator stuff and if we want to be a modern welcoming support to players and fans from all walks of life then those who sing it need to drag their knuckles off the floor and head along the M8. How are we going to attract future investment from sponsors etc if we singing songs about being up to the knees in someones blood. total joke and anyone who sings it, or any version of it, should hang their heads in shame.

Fantastic post, you should do it more often.

I was in the Murrayfield bar on Sunday afternoon, was pretty shocked by the repeated renditions of Hullo, and other ‘traditional’ songs.

Total embarrassment to 99% of Hearts fans. 

The idea that any meaningful number of people sing the un-dodgy lyrics is such a myth. 

A myth pushed mostly (although not entirely) by the people who sing the dodgy lyrics and don't want anyone trying to stop them.

This should have been eradicated a long time ago. Rousing tune but it has been entirely hijacked by arseholes and there's no getting away from that. 

1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Absolute Cretins, bet it makes Dunne feel right at home. 

Both sets of fans were Tragic yesterday in equal measure. 

Song list/ action from yesterday - 

Domestic abuse

Peadepholia 

Mercer (death song) 

Secterism 

Flares

Fighting

Spitting 

Coin throwing

Punching a player

All check. 

Pretty shambolic display and on par with the uglies. 

We have no moral high ground on this. 

Not embarrassed to be a Hearts fan, but definitely embarrassed by the actions of some Hearts fans. 

In 2018, it's a ****ing joke. 

You almost got it spot on...but you missed the disgraceful wee chant about Craig Leveins dodgy organ. Absolute lowlife scum in force 

2 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

I was in the Murrayfield bar on Sunday afternoon, was pretty shocked by the repeated renditions of Hullo, and other ‘traditional’ songs.

Total embarrassment to 99% of Hearts fans. 

If you were so embarrassed, did you bother to challenge it? Or am I alone here in being frustrated by how many among our support are annoyed, ashamed and embarrassed of sectarian singing that they decide to take to this forum where the likelihood is, none of these folk ever frequent, to moan to the rest of us for the purpose of being validated.

Maybe all of you who dislike this stuff should stop doing your talking on this forum, grow some balls and start challenging this in person. That, I would applaud. 

Just now, Highlander said:

If you were so embarrassed, did you bother to challenge it? Or am I alone here in being frustrated by how many among our support are annoyed, ashamed and embarrassed of sectarian singing that they decide to take to this forum where the likelihood is, none of these folk ever frequent, to moan to the rest of us for the purpose of being validated.

Maybe all of you who dislike this stuff should stop doing your talking on this forum, grow some balls and start challenging this in person. That, I would applaud. 

I wondered how long before this type of reply appeared. Not long! 

Yeah, I obviously challenged 2 to three dozen guys, who’d obviously  been drinking all day. 

By all means pop along next Celtic/Hibs match & show me how it’s done. 

4 hours ago, Apache Mal said:

When entering the Main Stand last night there was a group of guys singing about Tommy Robinson. I’ve seen it all now at Tynecastle.  

After a week of scaffy scumbaggery this might just be the news that tips me over the edge. FFS.

But hey. Celtic still to come on Saturday. YAY.  :unsure:

Laddie of about 8 singing it including the fenian blood bit going under the bridge at Murrayfield on Sunday. Thought it's proper sad. Another generation infected but, hopefully he'll grow out of it.

I've said before, as a Welshman I never really encountered it until I came up here/worked with a few fellas from NI. Just don't get it. 2 separate groups of people, essentially the same religion with a couple of wee differences, not many of either group go to churches other than weddings/funerals and this pish is still with us in the 21st century