Time to stop the Billy Boys pish ( Merged )

carnockjambo

Why do so many Hearts fans feel the need to sing a sectarian song. The billy boys has no place at Tynecastle. Our best player Jimmy Dunne is an Irish Catholic from Eire yet our own fans sing about being up to our knees in Feinan blood. We have to get our own house in order regarding this. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• number witheld

• Hearts_fan

• Pasquale for King

We have spent years trying to distance ourselves from THe mini Rangers tags and now this song is making a comeback ! 

Bungalow Bill
2 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Whole stadium was at it last night, enough of the minority p*sh

The whole stadium?

Playing Celtic twice and Hibs in the space of 6 days, I can't say I'm surprised by it being so prominent, even if I am bitterly disappointed that we've reduced ourselves to it.

Bungalow Bill

When entering the Main Stand last night there was a group of guys singing about Tommy Robinson. I’ve seen it all now at Tynecastle.  

3 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Yay, another thread on it. 

And there will be many more until the idiots in our fan base realise there is no place for this sectarian pish at Tynecastle.

Thought Police
1 minute ago, Apache Mal said:

Aye ok. 

Very loud and prominent around me in the Gorgie stand. Was clearly loud in the other two stands. Don’t be a pedant, it wasn’t every single person.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
5 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Sweep sweep

Harldy, its being discussed in numerous threads, but you bash on with your look at me stuff. 

Thought Police
Just now, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Harldy, its being discussed in numerous threads, but you bash on with your look at me stuff. 

Look at me? You said another thread. There’s no other thread specifically about singing the Billy Boys.

It got started when a couple of tri colour flags appeared in the Hibs end.

Unfotunatley it wasnt just the minority that werre singing it.

The Real Maroonblood

Look at me? You said another thread. There’s no other thread specifically about singing the Billy Boys.

:laugh:

1 minute ago, Thought Police said:

Very loud and prominent around me in the Gorgie stand. Was clearly loud in the other two stands. Don’t be a pedant, it wasn’t every single person.

Sung quite widely faded out at the hibees / fenian blood stage , thankfully at least where I was - Wheatfield E.

1 minute ago, HEARTS_1874 said:

We don't sing the "Billy Boys" we sing the "Gorgie Boys"

:scenes:

im glad someone noticed that small fact

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
3 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

No I didn't, try reading it slowly or asking someone to read it for you. 

Thought Police
1 minute ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

13 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

another thread on it. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

That’s the spirit keep the not another thread on the subject going.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Rendition of Build My Gallows from the after school club on their way out of the main stand last night. Absolutely pathetic.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov

If you can't see where it's being discussed, you're either lying or lying. 

6 minutes ago, HEARTS_1874 said:

"For we are the Gorgie Billy Boys" is what is widely sung as the last line by the idiots in our support.

20 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Yay, another thread on it. 

And you just contributed to the thread. Yay.

The song will never go away, never! Only solution is for the majority to sing the non-sectarian version louder than those singing the sectarian version.

If Killie, Arsenal, Villa, Stoke, Man U, Portsmouth etc can all sing non-sectarian versions of the song then surely to **** so can we, christ even Millwall and Chelsea sing the PC version!

Just now, Ribble said:

The song will never go away, never! Only solution is for the majority to sing the non-sectarian version louder than those singing the sectarian version.

If Killie, Arsenal, Villa, Stoke, Man U, Portsmouth etc can all sing non-sectarian versions of the song then surely to **** so can we, christ even Millwall and Chelsea sing the PC version!

They never had a sectarian version to begin with though. For as long as the song is sung, that sectarian version will get an airing - some folk just can't help themselves. The only solution is to sing different songs entirely.

Lower section G was more like the atmosphere you'd expect along the M8, the amount of singing about the pope, songs straight from the rangers book and all things sectarian was an embarrassment.

4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

This

25 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Whole stadium was at it last night, enough of the minority p*sh

Although many joined in, it was nothing like the whole stadium. Nobody near me in the Wheatfield joined in . And at least it petered out once it reached the third line.

The song is an embarrassment.

I agree with Ray Gin above. The idea that you could ever sing a non-sectarian version of this song, given its history, is wishful thinking and never going to happen.

We've had this debate for years yet nobody has ever come on here and explained why the song and these words should be sung by Hearts fans.

We are not Rangers. We have no wish to be Rangers. We are Hearts.

We need to eradicate all elements of sectarianism from our support. 

Union flags are used as a sectarian incitement to opposing fans.

Ban them inside Tynecastle.

20 minutes ago, HEARTS_1874 said:

What is the third line in your version?

What is the fourth line?

What have these words got to do with Hearts? They have everything to do with Rangers, in case you hadn't noticed.

The Sectarian element within our fan base are the ones who complain most about Celtic and their songs when they come to Tynecastle. Us singing Sectarian songs defeats our argument against the Celtic fans and their vile songs. 

35 minutes ago, carnockjambo said:

Why do so many Hearts fans feel the need to sing a sectarian song. The billy boys has no place at Tynecastle. Our best player Jimmy Dunne is an Irish Catholic from Eire yet our own fans sing about being up to our knees in Feinan blood. We have to get our own house in order regarding this. 

I fully agree with your sentiments here and that song (or that version at least) should have no place at Hearts, however, there is zero chance that it will stop. As has been demonstrated in the last two games, we have some real clowns in our support. They will not stop. The only way that I can see any difference being made is if everyone who sings the non sectarian version just stops singing it altogether leaving the knuckle draggers to stand alone and be easier to single out. 

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

"For we are the Gorgie Billy Boys" is what is widely sung as the last line by the idiots in our support.

Well said.

Moreover, the Billy they celebrate is a Glasgow gangster from the thirties who was also associated with the British Union of Fascists.

Precisely nothing to do with Hearts or Edinburgh, and a complete embarrassment that we have fans who sing it.

42 minutes ago, carnockjambo said:

Now is not the time, now is far far too late.

This senseless moronic behaviour should have been stamped out long ago.

It adds nothing of value and those that want to cling on to it are hugely suspect in their motives.

5 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

What is the third line in your version?

What is the fourth line?

What have these words got to do with Hearts? They have everything to do with Rangers, in case you hadn't noticed.

They don't really. Football, Scotland, Rangers etc is not mentioned at all in the song. 

It's got f-all to do with football, any football club/team, anywhere.

8 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

I fully agree with your sentiments here and that song (or that version at least) should have no place at Hearts, however, there is zero chance that it will stop. As has been demonstrated in the last two games, we have some real clowns in our support. They will not stop. The only way that I can see any difference being made is if everyone who sings the non sectarian version just stops singing it altogether leaving the knuckle draggers to stand alone and be easier to single out. 

I agree.

I think the way forward is an awareness-raising campaign within the stadium and within the fanbase.

Stadium announcements should become more specific, for example naming the "Hullo Hullo" as a sectarian song. The vague suggestion that "offensive behaviour will result in punitive action" is just meaningless lip-service.

It should be "sing Hullo Hullo" and you're out, for the reason that Hullo Hullo is a sectarian song. People will stop joining in when they understand it is socially unacceptable to do so. 

Edited by Hearts_fan

Some people definitely sing "Billy boys".

Guy about 45 and his two kids standing belting it out at the top of their lungs behind me last night. 

:vrface: