Time to stop the Billy Boys pish ( Merged )

carnockjambo

3 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I agree.

I think the way forward is an awareness-raising campaign within the stadium and within the fanbase.

Stadium announcements should become more specific, for example naming the "Hullo Hullo" as a sectarian song. The vague suggestion that "offensive behaviour will result in punitive action" is just meaningless lip-service.

It should be "sing Hullo Hullo" and you're out, for the reason that Hullo Hullo is a sectarian song. People will stop joining in when the understands it is socially unacceptable to do so.

Going to have to stop a few other clubs from doing it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• number witheld

• Hearts_fan

• Pasquale for King

1 minute ago, johnking123 said:

Going to have to stop a few other clubs from doing it.

No we're not. 

We're talking about Hearts supporters here. 

We're talking about the image of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

We're not responsible for other football clubs. 

6 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I agree.

I think the way forward is an awareness-raising campaign within the stadium and within the fanbase.

Stadium announcements should become more specific, for example naming the "Hullo Hullo" as a sectarian song. The vague suggestion that "offensive behaviour will result in punitive action" is just meaningless lip-service.

It should be "sing Hullo Hullo" and you're out, for the reason that Hullo Hullo is a sectarian song. People will stop joining in when they understand it is socially unacceptable to do so. 

That would go well if half the stadium joined in :scenes:

Agreed regarding the OP, however there are different renditions being sung...

'We are the Gorgie Boys'

'Out to beat you every time'

'Up to knees in Hibee blood'

1 minute ago, JimKongUno said:

That would go well if half the stadium joined in :scenes:

You're saying half our support are sectarian morons?

37 minutes ago, HEARTS_1874 said:

We don't sing the "Billy Boys" we sing the "Gorgie Boys"

Nothing wrong with Hello Hello, just the version sung.  The trouble is that people hear what they want to hear.   Versions of this song are sung by Dee and Killie fans alike.

”Gorgie boys” and “Hibbees’ blood”.is the version that I recognise.  This is not racist nor sectarian.

I just don't understand why the club don't say more to condemn this as it is getting worse. Was in Benson's before the game and had to walk out as the whole rangers song book was being sung and I couldn't stay and listen.  Love Cath but certainly won't be back there for any hib s or Celtic game in future

Just now, XB52 said:

I just don't understand why the club don't say more to condemn this as it is getting worse. Was in Benson's before the game and had to walk out as the whole rangers song book was being sung and I couldn't stay and listen.  Love Cath but certainly won't be back there for any hib s or Celtic game in future

Absolute morons.

14 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

They don't really. Football, Scotland, Rangers etc is not mentioned at all in the song. 

It's got f-all to do with football, any football club/team, anywhere.

'Rangers' is not mentioned in the song, but the song is 100% a Rangers song. And they are welcome to it. They can keep it.

The Glasgow gang, the Billy Boys, were almost certainly Rangers-minded. Their opponents, the Fenians, were almost certainly not Rangers-minded. There is no doubt that Rangers' heritage is strongly connected with an Orange version of Protestantism that hardly exists in Edinburgh and, even where it did, Hearts have no history linking us to it. We are not, and never have been, an Orange club in the way that Rangers were.

So, there is a reason why Rangers fans sing about Billy Boys (I wish they didn't and I cannot abide any of it, but that's their baggage). There is no reason why Hearts fans should (I know you agree on that point). And when they do, we call them out, and we will keep on calling them out until it stops. At Tynecastle, it mostly had stopped until recently. We've gone backwards.

18 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

No we're not. 

We're talking about Hearts supporters here. 

We're talking about the image of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

We're not responsible for other football clubs. 

100% this

Baird, King and Michael
16 minutes ago, combo74 said:

'We are the Gorgie Boys'

Yet every single version finishes with the same line....

”For we are the Gorgie Billy Boys”

we we need to be honest about this.

Was on the march from brekkie event to Murrayfield and just under the bridge before the stadium got trapped in a large group singing - up to our knees in fenian blood. I’d guestimate a couole of hundred. Total disgrace. And this is one of the key reasons corporates won’t get involved in the club so it hurts us financially.

thehibsareintheirbeds

Some really scummy characters following hearts these days- not sure if it's always been that way or just more noticeable in recent weeks- but hello hello loudest for a while last night.

Songs about Liam Miller and Jay Beattie on way out the wheatfield just show the mentality of those involved though, so going to be a tough job to fix it.

Its embarrassing. Wee neds with their Union Jacks singing about protecting the protestant faith. Then theres the "old guard" fi the 80's trying to make sectarianism and racism main stream again! Just stop it ya *****!

The Union flags are not there because we live in the UK but rather for effect. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
52 minutes ago, carnockjambo said:

The Sectarian element within our fan base are the ones who complain most about Celtic and their songs when they come to Tynecastle. Us singing Sectarian songs defeats our argument against the Celtic fans and their vile songs. 

This. Some of our fans rise to the bait, Celtic started singing ohh ahh up the ra on Sunday, some of ours responded with Hello Hello, much like the idiot throwing the coin last night it deflects the attention away onto something else. 

18 minutes ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

Yet every single version finishes with the same line....

”For we are the Gorgie Billy Boys”

we we need to be honest about this.

Not the version I sing...'For we are the Gorgie Boys'; just elongating the Gorgie

Not condoning the singing of the sectarian version, just saying there are variations and you can't tar everyone with the same brush.

Edited by combo74

Change the last 2 lines and it’s a good football chant that gets the place bouncing, used by plenty teams down south. Marching thru gorgie is a less offensive version we could sing. 

49 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I agree.

It should be "sing Hullo Hullo" and you're out, for the reason that Hullo Hullo is a sectarian song. People will stop joining in when they understand it is socially unacceptable to do so. 

Fair suggestion. Some folk need it spelt out for them.

The problem is a fair few turn up not really bothered about the actual football. Only the result.

They have to fill that 90 minute void by trying to be provocative and abusive. 

Strange way to approach sport and a stranger way to get your Jollies. 

Sadly you can't educate the vaccums so it will continue.

Find it strange that songs like 'oh the hibees are gay' have been consigned to the history books quickly and easily but we have a large section of our fanbase that think its acceptable to sing about being up to their knees in fenian blood.  Crazy world.

Walter Bishop

You will never change this. Ever. It is a small minority now though and that is as big a change you will ever see. 

I can remember being a young kid and hearing "No pope of rome" and "**** the pope and IRA" being belted out by a majority at tynecastle so we have come along way. 

7 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

You will never change this. Ever. It is a small minority now though and that is as big a change you will ever see. 

I can remember being a young kid and hearing "No pope of rome" and "**** the pope and IRA" being belted out by a majority at tynecastle so we have come along way. 

It's certainly not a small minority. Thousands joining in last night and on Sunday.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

Rendition of Build My Gallows from the after school club on their way out of the main stand last night. Absolutely pathetic.

What's that when it's at home?

I am very anti catholicism. However I am also very anti protestantism, Islam and ______insert all other mythical bollox here____. I do not want this shite sung at our ground. Let the sectarian sisters along the M8 have it as 'their thing'.

Edited by i8hibsh

Serge Pizzorno
6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I am very anti catholicism. However I am also very anti protestantism, Islam and ______insert all other mythical bollox here____. I do not want this shite sung at our ground. Let the sectarian sisters along the M8 have it as 'their thing'.

This. It’s a game of football ffs

I walked along Georgie rd at approx 6pm last night .there was a wee group of males, around their early twenties, one had a traffic cone he was using as a megaphone belting out the Billy boys all proud of themselves .

That's what your up against .half wits.

I'm just trying to figure out where all this has come from, it felt as though the issue had completely gone away, none of this pish was happening when we won the cup in 2012 or won the championship in 2015. 

What on earth has happened? Is it as simple as Lafferty coming into the club and making people think that it's alright to noise up celtic fans with rangers bile? Is it a reaction to the fact that hibs fans are trying to be more like  celtic fans since lennon has came in? Is it down to the fact that the young team have too much rope to hang themselves with and are doing that classic teenage boy thing of trying to be as offensive as possible for some sort of effect and the old bigots are coming out of their shells because of this?

Boggles the mind really, my girlfriends family are hibs and i'm always trying to play down the rangers pish when i see them but it's getting increasingly more difficult to protest that we're not like the huns at the minute. I don't know what the solution might be but it needs to be stamped out pronto. Think Budge needs to get her black book out and do some investigation!

Time to empty anyone who engages in this sectarian pish.  Makes me ashamed to be a Jambo when they sing that stuff. 

Take your Ulster and Union flags along with your hello hello song book and piss off to Ibrox.

It really is embarrassing that idiots still sing any sectarian rubbish. Do the numptys not realise that they're singing about some of their own fans? I thought we were slowy getting away from acting like mini huns (when in fact nearly everyone other than a few d***'s don't agree with what's being sung). I honestly think bans should be handed out to anyone caught singing these songs. It's like living in the dark ages.

Edited by Tynieman
spelling

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

I completely disagree with this defeatist idea.

Of course we can eradicate the sectarian morons from Tynecastle.

One by one we pick them off. Barred for life. 

With their dwindling numbers the last remnants will shut their mouths, like all cowards do when they're alone.

Should have stopped it yonks ago. The songs about the Billy Fullerton a leader of a razor blade gang in Glasgow who targeted Catholics and was also a fascist.

Why any Hearts supporter thinks this has anything to do with Hearts or traditions is beyond me. Weej pish and that’s where it belongs. 

2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Nothing wrong with Hello Hello, just the version sung.  The trouble is that people hear what they want to hear.   Versions of this song are sung by Dee and Killie fans alike.

”Gorgie boys” and “Hibbees’ blood”.is the version that I recognise.  This is not racist nor sectarian.

That's exactly what's wrong with it.

The song needs to go altogether because it connotes the sectarian version in people's minds.

It needs to go because there is ambiguity over what is actually being chanted.

It needs to go because some fans singing "hullo hullo" makes us all sound like sectarian morons.  

And the union flags need to go too because seeing them around the stadium makes us all look like sectarian morons.

Edited by Hearts_fan

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, carnockjambo said:

Why do so many Hearts fans feel the need to sing a sectarian song. The billy boys has no place at Tynecastle. Our best player Jimmy Dunne is an Irish Catholic from Eire yet our own fans sing about being up to our knees in Feinan blood. We have to get our own house in order regarding this. 

Well said, can the club do more to stop it?

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Whole stadium was at it last night, enough of the minority p*sh

The whole stadium? Even the Hibs fans? Couldn’t tell from lower P but it was a fair amount around us but I wasn’t one of them so don’t count me in with you guys ok.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, HEARTS_1874 said:

We don't sing the "Billy Boys" we sing the "Gorgie Boys"

:scenes:

Is the last bit of the song not Gorgie Billy boys? That’s what the singing section belt out anyway ?.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

It got started when a couple of tri colour flags appeared in the Hibs end.

Unfotunatley it wasnt just the minority that werre singing it.

Don’t know where you sit but did  you miss the Red Hand of Ulster flags in the singing section from start to finish? They have more cause to wave a tricolour than we do that flag.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

We need to eradicate all elements of sectarianism from our support. 

Union flags are used as a sectarian incitement to opposing fans.

Ban them inside Tynecastle.

Been saying it for years, ban all countries flags and that’s it sorted. Red hand of Ulster flags last night ffs ?.

3 hours ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Yay, another thread on it. 

You are one of the problems here. Any time posters try to encourage our support to be non-sectarian, responsible and respectful, you come on to criticise them. I often wonder what your motivations really are. Whatever your intentions are though, they are not helping the club.

In saying that, you're not the only one, but you are certainly one of the loudest and most frequent.

Fly the Saltire

By singing Hullo Hullo you are encouraging the Orange bigots even if you sing different words 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, combo74 said:

'We are the Gorgie Boys'

Do you think singing that we’re up to our knees in Hibee blood is an acceptable thing to sing? The song needs to go as it will always be corrupted.

Pasquale for King

Up to our knees in Hibee blood is an acceptable thing to sing?

Heart's security officer (or team if we have such a thing) should be proactive in determining the members of our support who are disgracing the club and getting them the feck away from our games, imo. The fact that they haven't done so is now showing in the fact that these members are now becoming more and more bold in their actions.

A ban on national and political flags should also be put in place and policed. The best way to put out a fire is to starve it of oxygen.

Bazzas right boot

Absolute Cretins, bet it makes Dunne feel right at home. 

Both sets of fans were Tragic yesterday in equal measure. 

Song list/ action from yesterday - 

Domestic abuse

Peadepholia 

Mercer (death song) 

Secterism 

Flares

Fighting

Spitting 

Coin throwing

Punching a player

All check. 

Pretty shambolic display and on par with the uglies. 

We have no moral high ground on this. 

Not embarrassed to be a Hearts fan, but definitely embarrassed by the actions of some Hearts fans. 

In 2018, it's a ****ing joke. 

1 minute ago, Fly the Saltire said:

By singing Hullo Hullo you are encouraging the Orange bigots even if you sing different words 

Agreed

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Been saying it for years, ban all countries flags and that’s it sorted. Red hand of Ulster flags last night ffs ?.

Agree with this too. In what way is flying a national flag of ANY nation relevant in a domestic club match. Not required.  We are not Rangers.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do you think singing that we’re up to our knees in Hibee blood is an acceptable thing to sing? The song needs to go as it will always be corrupted.

This. It's a shame because the actual tune is excellent. It has too many connotations though. Very difficult to police however if lots of people are singing it. It would have to be  policed internally by Hearts fans.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

Change the last 2 lines and it’s a good football chant that gets the place bouncing, used by plenty teams down south. Marching thru gorgie is a less offensive version we could sing. 

Try the last three or is surrender or you die got anything to do with football?