How Would You Vote in IndyRef2?

Highlander

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Thing is im not trolling anyone. Scots who talk Scotland down give me the boak. You claim nobody has given you case for why Idependence would be better than what we have had for the last 50 years or now. You must have been living under a rock or in the West wing of your mansion n

Independence won't give us a time machine. There is no getting back the oil money from 30/40 years ago. It is fact that Scotland now benefits from being part of the UK. Denial of facts and accusations that anyone who believes in making fact-based decisions is talking Scotland down is the reason why Yes won't win for the foreseeable future. 

Yes, we can be an independent country but we wouldn't be as prosperous as we are at the moment (and some people don't even think we are currently)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• frankblack

• Boris

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Hasselhoff said:

Independence won't give us a time machine. There is no getting back the oil money from 30/40 years ago. It is fact that Scotland now benefits from being part of the UK. Denial of facts and accusations that anyone who believes in making fact-based decisions is talking Scotland down is the reason why Yes won't win for the foreseeable future. 

Yes, we can be an independent country but we wouldn't be as prosperous as we are at the moment (and some people don't even think we are currently)

What facts?

the UK is in a perpetual downward spiral caused by decades of poor governance by both Labour & Tory parties. The last 10 years of austerity show no signs of let up. Greedy billionaires are STILL allowed to avoid paying their share in tax whilst the rest of us get fleeced. We now have the “working poor” FFS!

Privatisation in front line public services marches onwards to fill the coffers of more billionaires who in turn pay very little taxes. 

Since 2014 Westminster have for the most part ignored Scotland. Now we have Brexit and all that entails and the folk who caused it have washed their hands of it. 

Hardly the golden years. 

How about convincing YES voters that Scotland would “flourish” in the event of another NO vote instead of yet even more decades of the status quo?

27 minutes ago, Boris said:

I suspect they toe the party line to offer a unified opposition. Like any party they will agree and disagree on things. But, as has been used as dig against the SNP, they are focused on independence, unsurprisingly. 

Regards nationalism, I would agree with you, I'm not a Scottish nationalist, but I'd vote for independence. If we want to compare nationalism, the one exhibited currently by the tory party, particularly their brexiteer wing, is a completely different animal to that offered by the SNP, imo of course. 

I can understand the idea of a unified party being strong, but there's something deeply unsettling over the idea that members are not allowed to publicly criticise any aspect of the party. It just doesn't sit right.

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I can understand the idea of a unified party being strong, but there's something deeply unsettling over the idea that members are not allowed to publicly criticise any aspect of the party. It just doesn't sit right.

Maybe they just don't want to? 

9 minutes ago, Boris said:

Maybe they just don't want to? 

Maybe they don't. 

But I find the idea of a political party that gags its members a little unsettling.

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Maybe they don't. 

But I find the idea of a political party that gags its members a little unsettling.

If someone wanted to dissent, they would. Because no one has, this means individuals are gagged?

Thunderstruck
20 minutes ago, Boris said:

If someone wanted to dissent, they would. Because no one has, this means individuals are gagged?

From the SNP Standing Orders ‘overwhelmingly approved’ by delegates in 2015:-

‘[members] accept that no member shall within, or outwith the parliament, publicly criticise a group decision, policy or another member of the group.’

7 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

From the SNP Standing Orders ‘overwhelmingly approved’ by delegates in 2015:-

‘[members] accept that no member shall within, or outwith the parliament, publicly criticise a group decision, policy or another member of the group.’

uhuh, and?

Are you really trying to say that if someone really wanted to dissent, they wouldn't because of that?

Nonsense!

10 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

What facts?

the UK is in a perpetual downward spiral caused by decades of poor governance by both Labour & Tory parties. The last 10 years of austerity show no signs of let up. Greedy billionaires are STILL allowed to avoid paying their share in tax whilst the rest of us get fleeced. We now have the “working poor” FFS!

Privatisation in front line public services marches onwards to fill the coffers of more billionaires who in turn pay very little taxes. 

Since 2014 Westminster have for the most part ignored Scotland. Now we have Brexit and all that entails and the folk who caused it have washed their hands of it. 

Hardly the golden years. 

How about convincing YES voters that Scotland would “flourish” in the event of another NO vote instead of yet even more decades of the status quo?

The majority of your response bills down to "we should tax the rich more". If Indy Scotland tries that, the rich will just up and move to England. So what next? Scotland would then have even less tax revenue therefore more austerity. 

Scotland has a spending problem. That is a fact. We spend far more in Scotland than we generate. The UK (London and South East) currently enables that to happen. The question nationalists can't answer is what cuts would be made to spending that would allow us to avoid spiralling into major debt without the UK's credit history. Trident etc. is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It has to be billions of savings. 

39 minutes ago, Hasselhoff said:

The majority of your response bills down to "we should tax the rich more". If Indy Scotland tries that, the rich will just up and move to England. So what next? Scotland would then have even less tax revenue therefore more austerity. 

Scotland has a spending problem. That is a fact. We spend far more in Scotland than we generate. The UK (London and South East) currently enables that to happen. The question nationalists can't answer is what cuts would be made to spending that would allow us to avoid spiralling into major debt without the UK's credit history. Trident etc. is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It has to be billions of savings. 

No, everyone means taxed fairly, especially big business. There was a poll last week where people said they want better services and 75% would pay more tax and NI to provide this. 

Not everyone is a tax dodger. 

Edited by ri Alban

10 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Maybe they don't. 

You choose a leader and back them. If not you challenge or leave. 

58 minutes ago, Hasselhoff said:

That response is exactly why I hardly get involved with BritNats wee debates anymore. Scotland is too wee & too poor. We have been round this argument a million times. Scotland IS NOT funded or supported by Westminster. We send money south, they give us what seems to be slightly more back when in fact they keep a huge chunk then “add-in” a few billion of debt to service shite like trident & debt interest etc then it seems we have this “blck hole” that your lot keep banging on about. 

Stand up for your country. We have riches & resources most countries would die for. Why are you worried about hand-outs? Wheres the dignity in that? Your lot need to get off your knees!

Who ARE these “rich” that would move south? Utter shite. 

I’m out. 

9 hours ago, Boris said:

Maybe they haven’t because of the reason you mentioned. 

But does anyone know the punishment for speaking out in public?

17 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

That response is exactly why I hardly get involved with BritNats wee debates anymore. Scotland is too wee & too poor. We have been round this argument a million times. Scotland IS NOT funded or supported by Westminster. We send money south, they give us what seems to be slightly more back when in fact they keep a huge chunk then “add-in” a few billion of debt to service shite like trident & debt interest etc then it seems we have this “blck hole” that your lot keep banging on about. 

Stand up for your country. We have riches & resources most countries would die for. Why are you worried about hand-outs? Wheres the dignity in that? Your lot need to get off your knees!

Who ARE these “rich” that would move south? Utter shite. 

I’m out. 

I said on a previous thread to another user who has gone quiet too - prove what you are saying about the flow of money in and out of the UK is correct and I will vote yes next time. You can't do it because even the Scottish government don't agree with you. 

23 minutes ago, Hasselhoff said:

I said on a previous thread to another user who has gone quiet too - prove what you are saying about the flow of money in and out of the UK is correct and I will vote yes next time. You can't do it because even the Scottish government don't agree with you. 

No, you wont. Youre institutionalised. Full on God save the queen, British empire, Rule Brittania, Union flag waving unionist. 

If I showed you what we could become you and your lot would shite yourselves and say that “wee nippy Jimmy Crankie” is the antichrist. 

I suspect the person on the other thread has gone quiet to maintain his sanity!

Enjoy Brexit and if you need a lift to Berwick after the Yes vote please get back in touch. 

7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

No, you wont. Youre institutionalised. Full on God save the queen, British empire, Rule Brittania, Union flag waving unionist. 

If I showed you what we could become you and your lot would shite yourselves and say that “wee nippy Jimmy Crankie” is the antichrist. 

I suspect the person on the other thread has gone quiet to maintain his sanity!

Enjoy Brexit and if you need a lift to Berwick after the Yes vote please get back in touch. 

So that means you have nothing to back up what you are claiming then? Thought as much

Why do you believe the scare stories about Brexit but ignore those about Scottish Indy? 

6 minutes ago, Hasselhoff said:

So that means you have nothing to back up what you are claiming then? Thought as much

Why do you believe the scare stories about Brexit but ignore those about Scottish Indy? 

Why do you think the Union works when it hasnt worked for Scotland in decades?

59 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Maybe they haven’t because of the reason you mentioned. 

But does anyone know the punishment for speaking out in public?

No idea, I'm sure it will happen one day though!

6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why do you think the Union works when it hasnt worked for Scotland in decades?

Scotland has the most educated adult population in Europe, beating Finland, Luxembourg. This isn't the SNP as it is from before their time (25-64 year olds). Do you think we will be claiming the same thing in 10 years after the mess the SNP have made of education? 

Scotland has played a major part in the UK and will continue to do so long after nationalism has had its day

55 minutes ago, Hasselhoff said:

I wouldn’t bother. Pans Jambo is a stereotypical Nationalist type. 

Has nothing of any substance to bring to any discussion around this matter. Just insults and denial. 

52 minutes ago, Hasselhoff said:

Scotland has the most educated adult population in Europe, beating Finland, Luxembourg. This isn't the SNP as it is from before their time (25-64 year olds). Do you think we will be claiming the same thing in 10 years after the mess the SNP have made of education? 

Scotland has played a major part in the UK and will continue to do so long after nationalism has had its day

Who mentioned the SNP?

where was all the oil money when half of Scots were living in poor standard accommodation and being called “the sick man of europe”? Oh aye, building the M25, paying for a war in the south Atlantic & propping up the UK’s economy. 

Think in every measurable way the Scottish education system is superior to the rest of the UK’s as is its NHS. 

Brexit will be brilliant though eh?

6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Who mentioned the SNP?

where was all the oil money when half of Scots were living in poor standard accommodation and being called “the sick man of europe”? Oh aye, building the M25, paying for a war in the south Atlantic & propping up the UK’s economy. 

Think in every measurable way the Scottish education system is superior to the rest of the UK’s as is its NHS. 

Brexit will be brilliant though eh?

That will be the same Oil money from the white paper the SNP published in 2014 that was going to prop up the economy if we had gone independent then?

:cornette:

Thunderstruck
3 hours ago, Boris said:

uhuh, and?

Are you really trying to say that if someone really wanted to dissent, they wouldn't because of that?

Nonsense!

To turn your question around, does it not surprise you that there is no dissent in the ranks? Don’t you think that simple fact that they have such a clause speaks volumes?

Can you imagine the 1922 Committee allowing that within the Tory Party? Can you see that happening within Labour, even under Blair who was a noted control freak? 

Perhaps the most succinct comment came from Craig Murray (remember him, the former Ambassador to Uzbekistan) who stated that he was rejected as a candidate because he showed ‘a lack of commitment to party discipline’ which translates to ‘likely to be outspoken.’

He said, ‘Previously the principle of democratic centralism has only been associated in UK politics with fringe Marxist parties.’

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That will be the same Oil money from the white paper the SNP published in 2014 that was going to prop up the economy if we had gone independent then?

:cornette:

:vrface:No, That'll be the 70's and 80's I was referring to & oil was NOT going to prop up the Scottish economy in 2014 but would be a large part of it. (It's also the same oil trading at $69 dollars PB just now)

& BTW, we have more of it than the whole of Europe put together plus 15 x per head of population more than England on Natural Gas.

Its brutal having all these natural resources on your doorstep. Funny how its a bad thing & a cause for these: :cornette: in Scotland but a good thing everywhere else on the planet.

Scotland, one of the few countries on the planet to discover oil and actually get poorer. Thanks UK :thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

:vrface:No, That'll be the 70's and 80's I was referring to & oil was NOT going to prop up the Scottish economy in 2014 but would be a large part of it. (It's also the same oil trading at $69 dollars PB just now)

& BTW, we have more of it than the whole of Europe put together plus 15 x per head of population more than England on Natural Gas.

Its brutal having all these natural resources on your doorstep. Funny how its a bad thing & a cause for these: :cornette: in Scotland but a good thing everywhere else on the planet.

Scotland, one of the few countries on the planet to discover oil and actually get poorer. Thanks UK :thumbsup:

I think you are just copying and pasting nationalist propoganda that is based on myths, out of date figures, and guesswork.

More Oil than Norway, Sweden, etc?  I doubt it considering their territories cover a larger area.

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

To turn your question around, does it not surprise you that there is no dissent in the ranks? Don’t you think that simple fact that they have such a clause speaks volumes?

Can you imagine the 1922 Committee allowing that within the Tory Party? Can you see that happening within Labour, even under Blair who was a noted control freak? 

Perhaps the most succinct comment came from Craig Murray (remember him, the former Ambassador to Uzbekistan) who stated that he was rejected as a candidate because he showed ‘a lack of commitment to party discipline’ which translates to ‘likely to be outspoken.’

He said, ‘Previously the principle of democratic centralism has only been associated in UK politics with fringe Marxist parties.’

No and no, tbh.  Their primary goal is independence and, to them, it is tantalisingly close, therefore it over-rides any squabble.  There does appear to be a difference of opinion on how to "cross the line" regards independence and it is here that you may see a schism in the future.

The SNP also have to show that they are a party capable of impact, both at Holyrood and Westminster.  Labour & Tory have both had the luxury of being able to accommodate fringe "elements" due to the size of their parties within parliament.  The SNP lead a minority Government at Holyrood and although third biggest party at Westminster, want to create the air of a party all pulling together, moving in the same direction.  That's why, IMO, there is little public disagreement over policy.  So on from that, if/when independence happens, you will see a much more diversity of opinion.  Or, if/when independnece fails, you will see the same - a split between moderates who wish to bide their time for indy and those seeking it much more immediately.  Just my opinion though.

Are you now taking Craig Murray as a reliable source then?  Good to know for future reference!

36 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think you are just copying and pasting nationalist propoganda that is based on myths, out of date figures, and guesswork.

More Oil than Norway, Sweden, etc?  I doubt it considering their territories cover a larger area.

I suspect he was referring to the EU.

Sweden doesn't have any oil as far as I can see.  Norway does have more than the UK though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves 

Edited by Boris

Just now, Boris said:

I suspect he was referring to the EU.

Sweden doesn't have any oil as far as I can see.  Norway does have more than the UK though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves

I stand corrected on Sweden - I assumed they had involvement.  Norway is massive and have a stake in a lot of work in the North Sea.

The remainder of his argument was a work of fiction and regurgitated nationalist grievance propoganda.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I stand corrected on Sweden - I assumed they had involvement.  Norway is massive and have a stake in a lot of work in the North Sea.

The remainder of his argument was a work of fiction and regurgitated nationalist grievance propoganda.

Its like arguing with religious types on here. 

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Its like arguing with religious types on here. 

Yes - you sound like a religious nutter telling everyone it will be alright if you trust them, when your beloved SNP have consistently failed to put together a cohesive plan that won't see us a bigger basket case than Greece ever were.

Just now, frankblack said:

Yes - you sound like a religious nutter telling everyone it will be alright if you trust them, when your beloved SNP have consistently failed to put together a cohesive plan that won't see us a bigger basket case than Greece ever were.

Same stock answer EVERY TIME.

"Beloved SNP"? Where have I said that? Fiction!

The BritNats just look at the figures FOR NOW and assume that after independence everything will stay EXACTLY the same.

Kick Scotland and tell the world that we will be Greece without England. You lot give me the boak!

Geez peace!

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Same stock answer EVERY TIME.

"Beloved SNP"? Where have I said that? Fiction!

The BritNats just look at the figures FOR NOW and assume that after independence everything will stay EXACTLY the same.

Kick Scotland and tell the world that we will be Greece without England. You lot give me the boak!

Geez peace!

Here we go again, dragging out the clumsy "BritNats" term.

Most people who are against your SNP chums are not British Nationalists, they just think the SNP are an anti-English grievance party with no plan whatsoever about how to implement independence.  Should that happen, Scotland will be the economic whipping boys of Europe, begging to get back into the UK when our currency turns to junk and our jobs disappear.

Like it or not, we have an integrated economy with the rest of the UK, and it can't be untangled without negative effects on Scotland.  The only thing the SNP have talked about was using Oil money to back the economy - what about the finance jobs in the central belt that have ties to the City of London?

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Most people who are against your SNP chums are not British Nationalists, they just think the SNP are an anti-English grievance party with no plan whatsoever about how to implement independence.  Should that happen, Scotland will be the economic whipping boys of Europe, begging to get back into the UK when our currency turns to junk and our jobs disappear.

Like it or not, we have an integrated economy with the rest of the UK, and it can't be untangled without negative effects on Scotland.  The only thing the SNP have talked about was using Oil money to back the economy - what about the finance jobs in the central belt that have ties to the City of London?

You're dealing with the very best the Nationalists have to offer. So entrenched in the Nationalist ideology that they can only see people as one kind of Nationalist or the other. 

Every person I know that voted No in the referendum hold the same stance as me when it comes to all kinds of Nationalism. It’s poison. But he can’t see that. It’s probably just an online persona that he’s carrying here. Because there’s no chance he lives in a No stronghold like East Lothian and reacts to people who voted No in real life. 

21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Show me how it would become "whipping boys of Europe". And, I dont recall any other country thats left your beloved empire thats "begged to get back into the UK".

Your posts are all the same. Wind & piss.

I really dont think this is going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You're dealing with the very best the Nationalists have to offer. So entrenched in the Nationalist ideology that they can only see people as one kind of Nationalist or the other. 

Every person I know that voted No in the referendum hold the same stance as me when it comes to all kinds of Nationalism. It’s poison. But he can’t see that. It’s probably just an online persona that he’s carrying here. Because there’s no chance he lives in a No stronghold like East Lothian and reacts to people who voted No in real life. 

Do you two want to get a room or what?

Pans born & bred. Moved a whole mile down the road to Port Seton and I am fairly sure thats in East Lothian.

Most folk who voted No down here drive estate cars and wear beige slacks so no, I dont talk to them!

Edited by Pans Jambo

5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Show me how it would become "whipping boys of Europe". And, I dont recall any other country thats left your beloved empire thats "begged to get back into the UK".

Your posts are all the same. Wind & piss.

I really dont think this is going anywhere.

4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Do you two want to get a room or what?

Pans born & bred. Moved a whole mile down the road to Port Seton and I am fairly sure thats in East Lothian.

Most folk who voted No down here drive estate cars and wear beige slacks so no, I dont talk to them!

:cornette_dog:

socrates-pinterest.jpg?w=567

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

:cornette_dog:

socrates-pinterest.jpg?w=567

:vrface:

Right back at you!

Whipping Boys though. Guess the explanation for that will never be seen. Or the crawling back to the UK either.

Your voting No again I get that. I stopped trying to convince you lot months ago. 

After the next vote it wont even matter anymore.

Tick Tock.

5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

$78 PB

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Shhh...You'll just upset folk.

I'll give them something to hold on to. It was $80 yesterday. :D

I don't see any other commonwealth country begging to get back in. 

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Weer doomed I tell ye

Do let them get you doon. A Northern Irishman slagging anyone about Nationalism is quite funny. 

So they went from 18% to 45% in the referendum. Then they took 56 seats and still have 30 odd. Plus they own holyrood. The Tory/Unionist party went up with the no vote, but still can get anywhere with real working class who would never vote for them. 

Scot ref March 2019. Be prepared to say goodbye to Team GB. 

Tick Tock!!! 

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Do let them get you doon. A Northern Irishman slagging anyone about Nationalism is quite funny. 

Most people who claim to be Northern Irish have a low opinion of Nationalism. 

Is this another example of how Scottish nationalism is different to other? Making people’s nationalities an issue?

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

You would think the many English people who vote for and and are members of the SNP might have spotted this anti-Englishness. Perhaps you could provide us with some examples.