Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• I P Knightley

• John Findlay

• ri Alban

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Good use of the double entendre there.

I learnt by listening to I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. Substitute 'the delightful Samantha' for Bethany M-S

"Samantha tells me she has to go now as she's off to the country residence of her new gentleman friend, who has some interesting birds in the thicket. He keeps a young chicken, but Samantha says there are also wild breeds there, and she can't wait to see his Woodcock, Pullet and Swallow. "

36 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Saying stuff about his maw while they were in a match. Andy nearly lost it. 

Luckily, neither of them is the chippy type who'd carry a grudge for over 10 years. There's plenty of respect there.

(Oh, and what he said was not particularly insulting, not at all offensive and, at the time, pretty accurate.)

Edited by I P Knightley

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I learnt by listening to I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. Substitute 'the delightful Samantha' for Bethany M-S

"Samantha tells me she has to go now as she's off to the country residence of her new gentleman friend, who has some interesting birds in the thicket. He keeps a young chicken, but Samantha says there are also wild breeds there, and she can't wait to see his Woodcock, Pullet and Swallow. "

Luckily, neither of them is the chippy type who'd carry a grudge for over 10 years. There's plenty of respect there.

(Oh, and what he said was not particularly insulting, not at all offensive and, at the time, pretty accurate.)

Offended Andy, and I agree with him. Insult him all you want but keep his family out of it. 

as an aside im enjoying the commentary.  Jim Courier very knowledgeable , educated and humorous. Think Mark Petchey is his co commentator. Hes good too. Beats that awful John Inver dale any day. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

as an aside im enjoying the commentary.  Jim Courier very knowledgeable , educated and humorous. Think Mark Petchey is his co commentator. Hes good too. Beats that awful John Inver dale any day. 

Anything without Inverdale improves it. Likewise, living without Sue Barker is no hardship. 

I enjoyed hearing Rusedski giving it full commentary. Always thought he was an excellent pundit; hard-working and insightful - clearly loves the sport. 

As mentioned above (somewhere, I think), the real downside is the woman they have as anchor. I used to subscribe to The Tennis Podcast but just couldn't put up with her arrogance and coldness. So now Amazon have got her sitting next to my Annabel, I'm in a real quandary. I wish she'd just **** off. 

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Anything without Inverdale improves it. Likewise, living without Sue Barker is no hardship. 

I enjoyed hearing Rusedski giving it full commentary. Always thought he was an excellent pundit; hard-working and insightful - clearly loves the sport. 

As mentioned above (somewhere, I think), the real downside is the woman they have as anchor. I used to subscribe to The Tennis Podcast but just couldn't put up with her arrogance and coldness. So now Amazon have got her sitting next to my Annabel, I'm in a real quandary. I wish she'd just **** off. 

which female are you talking about? I cant for the life of me understand how Croft is a an expert in tennis when she played it until she was only 21....!

I P Knightley
36 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

which female are you talking about? I cant for the life of me understand how Croft is a an expert in tennis when she played it until she was only 21....!

Caroline Whittaker, I think. Don't know what her credentials are. 

8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Caroline Whittaker, I think. Don't know what her credentials are. 

22-36-24.

rudi must stay

Interesting match, a set up gives Del Potro a chance. Nadal looks majorly annoyed, I think he plays at his absolute best like that. But Del Potro's serve could be a huge factor,  a very difficult man to break.

rudi must stay

To have a chance Nishikori must go for his shots. From what I've seen of him he doesn't have many weapons though to hurt a player of Djokovic's standard, so I would be very surprised if he won

Edited by rudi must stay

7 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I managed to watch a bit of the Djoko game. He was a machine and gave Nishikori no hope. The match winning point was just brilliant. 

Back on the magic water bottle I see. 

I P Knightley
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Back on the magic water bottle I see. 

Was he? Or are you talking about me? I had quite a few magic bottles last night, hence being up at 02:30 to see the end of the match.

10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Was he? Or are you talking about me? I had quite a few magic bottles last night, hence being up at 02:30 to see the end of the match.

:D Good man. 

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Poor Naomi Osaka. Her crowning achievement spoilt by morons in the crowd.

Would it not be fairer to say it was ruined by the actions of a bad loser in Williams

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

Would it not be fairer to say it was ruined by the actions of a bad loser in Williams

Williams was also culpable, yes.

10 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

What was her problem? Caught the last couple of games but muted the sound!

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Williams is a very good example of when a person starts to think they are bigger than the sport. 

Indeed.

Williams rants at the umpire: "You will never be on a court of mine as long as you live."

And this is the part that sums up Williams attitude. The whole bit but especially the part in bold.

"You are a liar. You will never be on a court of mine as long as you live. When are you going to give me my apology. Say you are sorry. "

She also claimed that a man wouldn't have been given the punishments she was and it was only because she was a woman. Twitter is full of people claiming it's because she is black and has always been treated unfairly so she doesn't win. A bit like Celtic being picked on yet still winning dozens of trophies.  

Serena Williams is thoroughly unlikeable and has been for a long time. Venus Williams, however, always seems to behave in a dignified manner and is/was a great player.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Folk clapped her slavering at her press conference.

Legitimate or otherwise her constant whining did it's best to ruin the occasion for the young Japanese girl who, btw, was the better player throughout, then tries to come across as contrite, afterwards.

Really poor stuff.

3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Captain Sausage

What a tosspot.

Loud mouthed sore loser. The way the press is reporting this is a joke - as if poor wee Serena got picked on.

Geoff the Mince

Pathetic from Williams acting like a spoilt brat ,  most people the next day would be embarrassed with her probably not .

She will possibly look back at that and cringe but I’ll say one thing, from the moment it all kicked off with the first warning it was compulsive viewing. 

The presentation of the trophy was like a mini soap opera in itself. 

9 hours ago, Barack said:

On Mouratoglou saying he had coached Serena: “I literally just heard this. What’s he talking about? We don’t have signals. I’m trying to figure out why he would say that. I want to clarify myself what he said. I wasn’t being coached.”

It'll be because you're black. And a woman. And you have a daughter...probably.

Difficult to see that relationship surviving. 

I am keen to to hear about men accusing the umpire of being a thief, or saying they will never umpire another game of theirs. She needs called out on that. 

rudi must stay

"court of mine" says it all. She tested the referee and well done to the umpire, they are finally waking up and standing up for themselves after years of being walked all over

rudi must stay

"no I wouldn't use coaching. I like to problem solve myself"

Up there with Nadal's motivational speech about them putting a shot clock in despite taking about 2 minutes between each serve 

Don't know how either can justify basically lying

Edited by rudi must stay

Don't be to hard on Serena. She is, after all, the only woman in the world who has ever had a baby. 

A girl, I think it was. Not 100% sure but I'll find a citizen of the civilised world and have it confirmed.  

Captain Sausage
11 minutes ago, martoon said:

Don't be to hard on Serena. She is, after all, the only woman in the world who has ever had a baby. 

A girl, I think it was. Not 100% sure but I'll find a citizen of the civilised world and have it confirmed.  

Pretty sure it’s been the toughest journey of any woman, ever. Or so I’m led to believe...

25 minutes ago, martoon said:

13 minutes ago, houstonjambo said:

Pretty sure it’s been the toughest journey of any woman, ever. Or so I’m led to believe...

I think most new mothers feel the same tbh, but playing the “As A Mother” card during the match was wrong. 

I think its also fair to say she and Venus had a tremendously difficult time as kids, facing racism on a daily basis from the tennis fraternity. But, again, this bears no relevance to last night because she brought everything on herself and the umpire applies the rules fairly.

Finally, I was relieved she calmed down enough to ask (tell!) the crowd to stop booing Ōsaka. 

I'm glad i came on here to read this. Everyone has the same opinions about it as me..

Having to listen to/read Andy Roddick, Billie Jean King even Sue Barker say how Serena was picked on.. ridiculous and will just fuel her to say more.. Hope she gets a long ban.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

That was hard to watch. Losing her head like that was bad enough, but to keep it up when Osaka was close to winning was absolutely terrible. She must have known she was tarnishing Osaka's big moment. 

Trying to see both sides though, I can't imagine for a second Roger Federer getting a call like that for the coaching from the stands in a grand slam final. She maybe has a point there. 

14 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

That was hard to watch. Losing her head like that was bad enough, but to keep it up when Osaka was close to winning was absolutely terrible. She must have known she was tarnishing Osaka's big moment. 

Trying to see both sides though, I can't imagine for a second Roger Federer getting a call like that for the coaching from the stands in a grand slam final. She maybe has a point there. 

Tennis umpires are like god compared to scottish refs, like night and day, no cheating with them.

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think most new mothers feel the same tbh, but playing the “As A Mother” card during the match was wrong. 

I think its also fair to say she and Venus had a tremendously difficult time as kids, facing racism on a daily basis from the tennis fraternity. But, again, this bears no relevance to last night because she brought everything on herself and the umpire applies the rules fairly.

Finally, I was relieved she calmed down enough to ask (tell!) the crowd to stop booing Ōsaka. 

Also used the woman card and how she was fighting for all womankind so only one card left to play I suppose.

2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Roger Federer wouldn't behave like that.