US Open Tennis

AWM

Started today on Amazon Prime.

Andy Murray just about to start against James Duckworth. 

Women's World No. 1 Simona Halep already out, beaten 6-2, 6-4 by Kaia Kanepi.

Kyle Edmund a set up on Paolo Lorenzi.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• I P Knightley

• John Findlay

• ri Alban

rudi must stay

Duckworth looks a tricky opponent. A good test, that point a few minutes ago shows Murray's insane workrate. The best he has moved in quite a well

rudi must stay

Nishioka Federer on. Nishioka looks not bad so this could be not a bad match, although a break in the first game. Not the start he wanted

Edited by rudi must stay

I P Knightley

Murray's second round match is scheduled for mid-afternoon - maybe around 7pm our time. After the 'extreme' temperatures of yesterday, something similar could spell the end for him. My prediction was that if he had two games going on more than three sets in his first two rounds, he'd not make it past the third round. I know he trains like a demon and will have been slogging it out in high temperatures but that's not replicating the intensity of a match.

Can't think of many mainstream sports where they force the competitors to participate in these kinds of conditions. The Australian Open is shocking in terms of the temperatures they have to endure. I've played 5s in 35 deg heat and I was absolutely at death's door after 5 minutes. Those conditions are too extreme for even an elite athlete.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Rodger Mellie
25 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Can't think of many mainstream sports where they force the competitors to participate in these kinds of conditions. The Australian Open is shocking in terms of the temperatures they have to endure. I've played 5s in 35 deg heat and I was absolutely at death's door after 5 minutes. Those conditions are too extreme for even an elite athlete.

I live close to NYC and just been out with dug and it’s 90f already, and humid as feck. My football season went into late July as we made the final and we were playing 90 mins plus extra time in temps in the 90s. It’s brutal but I’ll take it over playing in the cold, wind and pishing rain!

4 minutes ago, Rodger Mellie said:

I live close to NYC and just been out with dug and it’s 90f already, and humid as feck. My football season went into late July as we made the final and we were playing 90 mins plus extra time in temps in the 90s. It’s brutal but I’ll take it over playing in the cold, wind and pishing rain!

Feck that!! I'd rather play in the cold and rain than that kind of temperature/humidity!! 

Edited by Jambos_1874

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Murray's second round match is scheduled for mid-afternoon - maybe around 7pm our time. After the 'extreme' temperatures of yesterday, something similar could spell the end for him. My prediction was that if he had two games going on more than three sets in his first two rounds, he'd not make it past the third round. I know he trains like a demon and will have been slogging it out in high temperatures but that's not replicating the intensity of a match.

Ye I think he'll lose today in 4. Its progress, and he's moving better, a few more months and he'll be back to his best. He played quite passive v Duckworth and I reckon it's because he's worried about going for it at the moment, Verdasco has no problem power hitting and it's not an ideal match up right now

rudi must stay

2-1 now. A set back for Tsisipas. Looks an exciting player who moves very well, but for Medvedev not to win would be a total injustice. He's played a great match and has had him on a string in some points, but I suppose that's tennis, you have to concentrate every point

Edited by rudi must stay

I P Knightley
16 minutes ago, DVB said:

Annoying that it’s on prime. Sky are taking the mic now for the cost of the package and the amount of sports they have lost.

First match I've watched on Prime. The anchor woman, Caroline, is the reason that I unsubscribed from the tennis podcast. But she's talking with Annabel.

:turmoil:

3 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

"a positive step forward for Murray" I'm not sure. Verdasco is a poor loss for Murray

I think it probably is. He's tested himself at a high level and identified his shortcomings. Gives himself the chance of an honest assessment of whether he keeps playing.

19 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

"a positive step forward for Murray" I'm not sure. Verdasco is a poor loss for Murray

Murray is done at the top level. 

rudi must stay
8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

First match I've watched on Prime. The anchor woman, Caroline, is the reason that I unsubscribed from the tennis podcast. But she's talking with Annabel.

:turmoil:

I think it probably is. He's tested himself at a high level and identified his shortcomings. Gives himself the chance of an honest assessment of whether he keeps playing.

Rusedski has been excellent. He's a great pundit as is Mark Petchey.

Ye, it's a good way of thinking. But Murray has more talent than Verdasco and a stronger attitude. But his fitness and him hobbling around meant he lost it. A few points there that was the real Andy Murray so to speak. I could understand and I wouldn't be surprised if he hung up his racquet 

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Rusedski has been excellent. He's a great pundit as is Mark Petchey.

Ye, it's a good way of thinking. But Murray has more talent than Verdasco and a stronger attitude. But his fitness and him hobbling around meant he lost it. A few points there that was the real Andy Murray so to speak. I could understand and I wouldn't be surprised if he hung up his racquet 

Yup - I like Greg a lot. He works hard to make his bits lively and I was interested to hear him doing the commentary rather than the post-match analysis. His accent sounded a bit different but there was a lot more insight than you tend to get in match commentary for most sports.

I'm not sure that Murray has a stronger attitude. Through the years, I've never doubted his talent but he doesn't have a poker face when it comes to being pissed off or feeling that the world's against him. I've seen various interviews where he professes his love of tennis so it must be frustrating for him that he's having to play a compromised game at the moment.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Yup - I like Greg a lot. He works hard to make his bits lively and I was interested to hear him doing the commentary rather than the post-match analysis. His accent sounded a bit different but there was a lot more insight than you tend to get in match commentary for most sports.

I'm not sure that Murray has a stronger attitude. Through the years, I've never doubted his talent but he doesn't have a poker face when it comes to being pissed off or feeling that the world's against him. I've seen various interviews where he professes his love of tennis so it must be frustrating for him that he's having to play a compromised game at the moment.

Murray can find a way to win with his attitude, he's rock solid and has a bit of arrogance too. But he's moving awfully, playing can't be much fun for him right now

Edited by rudi must stay

4 hours ago, magicTs said:

He should retire. Saying that, I thought the same about Nadal and Federer. 

I P Knightley
26 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Djokovic Sandgreen has the makings of a good match here

I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say that I don't think Tennys is good enough at tennis to trouble Djokovic this year. I've not had a good look at the draw but suspect we'll see Djoko in the semi-finals which, I think, means he'll have pumpded Federer oot in the QFs. Semi against Cilic or Zverev while Nadal and JMDP slug it out in the other half.

rudi must stay
9 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say that I don't think Tennys is good enough at tennis to trouble Djokovic this year. I've not had a good look at the draw but suspect we'll see Djoko in the semi-finals which, I think, means he'll have pumpded Federer oot in the QFs. Semi against Cilic or Zverev while Nadal and JMDP slug it out in the other half.

Tennys impressed me. But he didn't quite have the attitude to beat Djokovic. To me to beat the top guys you have to really believe you can beat them IMO, not just have a "let's see how it goes today" attitide

Edited by rudi must stay

On 30/08/2018 at 01:14, magicTs said:

He has just come back from a lengthy time out due to injury, with this being his first Grand Slam competition in over a year. Surely it's a bit premature to say he's done. He needs to find his form and fitness again and then we'll see if he can still compete. I doubt he's too worried and he said himself that he didn't expect to go far in the competition.

5 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

He has just come back from a lengthy time out due to injury, with this being his first Grand Slam competition in over a year. Surely it's a bit premature to say he's done. He needs to find his form and fitness again and then we'll see if he can still compete. I doubt he's too worried and he said himself that he didn't expect to go far in the competition.

I can remember when folk said Nadal was done including myself.

J.T.F.Robertson

The young Canadian guy (Shapovalov) is currently also giving Anderson a run for his money.

I P Knightley

I was surprised that Kohlschreiber beat Zverev the other day. I had to double check that it was the younger brother who'd lost. Kohlschreiber is about 60 years old but has his next match against Kei Nishikori - another player who's working his way back from injury - so his run could go on for another round. Kicking off at around 4pm.

It is really hard to give a shite about this tournament this year with the lack of coverage. ?

Hoping Thiem can do a number on Nadal though.

I have just signed up to Prime then ill cancel it next week after US open think I get my months subscription back too ! Ive got Netflix so already enough to watch. Tennis has been great . I love the US Open.  Kerber bombed out and various other top ladies so it Serena looking on track to get that record equalling 24 th Grand slam

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

It is really hard to give a shite about this tournament this year with the lack of coverage. ?

Hoping Thiem can do a number on Nadal though.

From what I've seen of Nadal he has a good chance. He hasn't been playing that great, of course very tough mentally but he's not doing what he can do on the clay in Paris

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

From what I've seen of Nadal he has a good chance. He hasn't been playing that great, of course very tough mentally but he's not doing what he can do on the clay in Paris

He actually is no bad at this tournament. It suits some of his game.  Think he has won it 4 times ? 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

He actually is no bad at this tournament. It suits some of his game.  Think he has won it 4 times ? 

Nadal's concentration levels are absolutely frightening, they give him a chance in any tournament. I get the feeling he has shots that get him out of trouble on the clay though, he doesn't have them here. Could be a cracker tomorrow

Geoff the Mince

Madison Keys put in a pretty faultless display there 

really hope she can go one better this year .

I P Knightley
56 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Delighted to wake up to the news that Fed and Sharapova out.  Esp her.  

Likewise. Pleased about Sharapova because it's Sharapova; very pleased for John Millman - one of the game's good guys who deserves his moment in the sun (or pitch black night, given that they knocked off at 1am).

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Likewise. Pleased about Sharapova because it's Sharapova; very pleased for John Millman - one of the game's good guys who deserves his moment in the sun (or pitch black night, given that they knocked off at 1am).

It's an interesting result. Always great to see an upset as it can be a big springboard for a player, Millman could be a match for anyone in the tournament.

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

It's an interesting result. Always great to see an upset as it can be a big springboard for a player, Millman could be a match for anyone in the tournament.

He could but he's up against Djokovic next. Not only has Djoko played less tennis to get this far, he's also managed to get in a bit of practice on the injury time-outs. Millman is at a disadvantage due to the late finish of that match and the likelihood that his head will be all over the place having pumpded oot Federer.

JMDP's the only quarter-finalist to have got there without dropping a set. He takes on the big lunk, Isner, at about 6.30 this evening. Hope JMDP has another convincing win. A Del Potro v Djoko final would have me tuning in. Isner getting through doesn't bear thinking about.

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Never seen him play before but I assume he must have been good . Maybe watch highlights on Prime.  Same thinking re Isner.. He has certainly got the crown of most boring player ever...well him and Kevin Anderson.  

I P Knightley

True to form, Isner takes the first set to a tie-break and squeaks through.

Delpo played a fine second set - almost fault-free - to square it up, including break of the Isner serve. Hopefully, JMDP can pull away now.

I P Knightley

Murray is in his quarter-final now, with Soares for the men's doubles. Lost the first set and down a break in the second.

He's also got a semi with Bethanie Mattek-Sands a little later in the evening. Hope she helps him pull it off.

56 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Murray is in his quarter-final now, with Soares for the men's doubles. Lost the first set and down a break in the second.

He's also got a semi with Bethanie Mattek-Sands a little later in the evening. Hope she helps him pull it off.

Good use of the double entendre there.

I usually like JMP but after I heard what he said to Andy Murray(A while ago) I hope Nadal pumps him. 

Edited by ri Alban

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I usually like JMP but after I heard what he said to Andy Murray(A while ago) I hope Nadal pumps him. 

what was that? 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

what was that? 

Saying stuff about his maw while they were in a match. Andy nearly lost it. 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Saying stuff about his maw while they were in a match. Andy nearly lost it. 

Jesus what ages are they ? FFS 

to be honest u could say " good morning " to sour puss Murray and he would lose it. he has the most miserable demeanor on court ive ever seen and I include Mcenroe