• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• 1874KRM

• rudi must stay

• kimosavi

Would not want Jamie Walker back either. Injury has been very cruel to him as he's a fraction of the playe he was a few years ago.

His pace is gone and his knees are shot. Would be a poor signing and a backwards step.

Captain America

I accept I am in the minority on this but I'd take Walker back. ( I'm in a forgiving mood this morning.)

The Walker up to Feb 2017 was outstanding, I think it would be clear to him he would need to win over the fans for the way he went about his business and we would see the old Jamie Walker that used to get us off our seat when he got the ball.

I was against Webster coming back but he won me over. 

Plus Walker never gave us my daughter's pen back at the last family fun day so least if he in the country, there is chance of getting it back. 

37 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Would not want Jamie Walker back either. Injury has been very cruel to him as he's a fraction of the playe he was a few years ago.

His pace is gone and his knees are shot. Would be a poor signing and a backwards step.

This. At a time when we were all calling for pace on the wings, Walker would be a retrograde move. He is glacially slow

BackOfTheNet

Can we just take a moment to appreciate some of the business in the last couple of windows. Walker out and with that money we bring Naismith in, all the business so far this summer and with the Lafferty money more quality to be brought in including potentially getting Mitchell back. ???

Clerry Jambo

Which ‘two or three players’ should Hearts be looking to sign?

Craig Fowler
6-7 minutes

Published: 11:16 Friday 24 August 2018

Hearts boss Craig Levein has said he’s in the market for “two or three players” before the end of the transfer window.

With this in mind, we look at the current squad and decide which positions need improved on the most.

Hearts manager Craig Levein is on the lookout for 'two or three players'. Picture: SNS/Paul Devlin

Hearts manager Craig Levein is on the lookout for 'two or three players'. Picture: SNS/Paul Devlin

Striker

Hearts are certainly going to bring in a striker and Osman Sow is the odds-on favourite to be that man. Levein is also hoping to secure a summer deal for David Vanecek if he can negotiate an early release for the Czech attacker, who has agreed to a pre-contract, from his club Teplice.

Having five strikers on the books may seem like overkill, but it’s not for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Levein has experimented with three forwards in the same starting XI to begin the campaign. And secondly, the Hearts manager appears to view Steven Naismith primarily as an attacking midfielder rather than a out-and-out striker.

• READ MORE: Osman Sow on radar as Hearts try to recruit ‘two or three’

Centre-back

Despite the arrival of Jimmy Dunne as a replacement for the injured Christophe Berra, it still makes sense for Hearts to go out and recruit another centre-back. Aaron Hughes’ form hasn’t been great to start the campaign, and he’s already picked up another injury, while the emergence of Peter Haring as a midfield supremo leaves the Gorgie Road side short on options in the centre of defence.

Haring could drop back into the position he was signed to fill, but if his early season form is any indication, it would be to the detriment of the team as a whole.

• READ MORE: Comment: How Kyle Lafferty will be remembered at Hearts

Right-winger

Hearts have three players around the first-team who can play the position: Jake Mulraney, Danny Amankwaa and youngster Callumn Morrison. The latter is a terrific prospect and should get his opportunities this season, but it’s too early to rely on him as the starting right-midfield. Mulraney has his uses as a squad player, but again if he’s starting the full season on the wing then you’re getting a lower level of production from the rest of the starting XI. Then there’s Amankwaa who, for all intents and purposes, is barely even a Hearts player any more.

Due to having many options (with Anthony McDonald also capable of filling in) Levein may be hesitant to improve on this position. But if he’s looking to strengthen on what’s already there, this is an area he should be looking at.

• READ MORE: Steven Naismith admits he was ‘totally wrong’ in reaction to Jonny Hayes

Left wing-back

One formation Hearts have used to good effect so far this season has been the 4-4-2/3-5-2 hybrid. Steven Naismith tucks in from the left of midfield, allowing Ben Garuccio to roam the flank from left-back, while Michael Smith or Aaron Hughes stays back a little more on the opposite flank. The early signs for Garuccio are very positive, but it’s a very demanding position to play over the course of a campaign.

Look at Tottenham Hotspur and their use of wing-backs in recent seasons. They always have two top class players for each flank and rotate them regularly to keep them fresh. Bobby Burns appears to be the current back-up, though he does lack pace for a wing-back, and Hearts see him as more of a battling central midfielder.

The return of Demetri Mitchell on loan from Manchester United would be a welcome addition and Levein has made no secret of his desire to bring the player back for a second spell.

• READ MORE: Use John Souttar or risk losing him to Socceroos, warns Craig Levein

Central attacking midfielder

Hearts could field an entire starting XI of central midfielders, so it may seem odd to lobby them to sign another. However, Naismith may be the only No.10 at the club worthy of a regular start.

Levein said during the summer that he viewed Ryan Edwards as an attacking midfielder following a season with Partick Thistle where the Australian mainly sat at the base of midfield. However, the summer addition has barely been seen since his move across the M8 and it would seem his new manager may already be regretting his transfer. The same goes for Ross Callachan and Malauray Martin.

Arnaud Djoum has played in the hole behind the strikers before, though Levein seemed to prefer him as a deep-lying playmaker last season. Then there’s Olly Lee and Harry Cochrane, a pair of very good midfielders with strong attacking instincts, but they’re more suited to the No.8 role.

If Hearts can find another, preferably someone who can also operate on the flank, it would benefit the squad. Jamie Walker did post an Instagram photo of him in a Hearts top yesterday...

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Looking forward to our new additions. When will be the first announcement?

Surely it'll be Sow.

We must be close if the chat about the medical is indeed true.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, jambogemz said:

Surely it'll be Sow.

We must be close if the chat about the medical is indeed true.

Maybe we are waiting to announce all 3 together

:wow:

AlphonseCapone
15 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

:facepalm: Jamie' Walker . . Actually :cornette::cornette::cornette::cornette:

15 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

150% this

total passenger, wouldn’t even get on the current bench

15 hours ago, Frank1874 said:

Jamie Walker...no fecking thanks ??

14 hours ago, Tarland Jambo said:

I very rarely comment on these forums, but it's a big no for me, boy made his bed and he can lie in it. 

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

Are you suffering from oxygen depletion?

14 hours ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

Walker / his agent have made their bed, now they can lie in it.

5 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Walker led by his agent thought he could get better elsewhere. Rangers included then rangers pulled the plug so he thought I'll head to Wigan........and he's been found out......he doesn't like it at all. No game time down there and homesick no doubt. So he goes  to Instagram and starts posting pics of him in his Hearts days so all the wee lassies and laddies can beg him to come back up the road to feed his ego as he's been found out at Wigan

You've made your bed Jamie along with your agent and  you can lie in it for all , and  the Hearts support care 

4 hours ago, cosanostra said:

3 hours ago, davieholt said:

This. At a time when we were all calling for pace on the wings, Walker would be a retrograde move. He is glacially slow

At least most folk get it. Jamie Walker had potential 3 years ago. He will end up signing for Dundee or something in a years time and be a bang average lower Scottish Premier league player. If he had the right attitude he might have been a star for us. 

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Not the Hearts way anymore. That was a Romanov tradition 

10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

It'll be McCann, Weir and Goss all over again!

Would take JW back if fit and available.  Was one of our better players when here, yes he has injury concerns, but bottom line is he's better than what we've currently got on the wing.

Dallas Green

Where would walker play? It was obvious from before he wanted to play a number 10 role. I'd rather Naismith play that. He has no pace anymore to be a winger. Also, he threw his toys out the pram last time he was here. 

This coming from someone who stuck up for him before he left ?

JW? No thanks.

Although, if he did sign i would support him. I always give new or returning players a chance.

David McCaig
13 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Would take JW back if fit and available.  Was one of our better players when here, yes he has injury concerns, but bottom line is he's better than what we've currently got on the wing.

Walker hasn't been a winger for years and isn't fit to lace Naismith's boots as an attacking midfielder.

21 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Walker hasn't been a winger for years and isn't fit to lace Naismith's boots as an attacking midfielder.

Ok Pep.

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Ok Pep.

No pep about it

what he said was 100% true

walker would weaken this team

16 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

No pep about it

what he said was 100% true

walker would weaken this team

Would having him as an option strengthen the squad tho?  Would he be ahead of Amankwa or Mulraney for instance....

Could it be that most of these comments saying they don't want Walker back are from Hibshit trolls who can't bear the the thought of him mesmerising their hapless defence, especially the useless Stevenson, he was a young man who made some silly career decisions (haven't we all done that in our youth), In my mind he was/is a supremely gifted footballer, well with his family genes, of course he is, I just hope that he has now got a better adviser behind him, I would certainly be prepared to give him another chance,  oh  and  FTH.

1 minute ago, HopeDiouf said:

Would having him as an option strengthen the squad tho?  Would he be ahead of Amankwa or Mulraney for instance....

I honestly don't think Walker would bring much to this team, slow, poor fitness and hides in big games 

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

I honestly don't think Walker would bring much to this team, slow, poor fitness and hides in big games 

Agree fitness was and probably still is an issue.  Disagree on the hiding.  I'm not massively advocating him as the best signing ever.  But if things ain't working out at Wigan and he's available, I think he could be a useful addition to the squad as I think we are light in the wide areas at the moment.

1 minute ago, HopeDiouf said:

Agree fitness was and probably still is an issue.  Disagree on the hiding.  I'm not massively advocating him as the best signing ever.  But if things ain't working out at Wigan and he's available, I think he could be a useful addition to the squad as I think we are light in the wide areas at the moment.

The problem is, Walker no longer plays as a wide player as his knee problems robbed him of his speed. His best games for us for the latter part of his time here were from a more central area. 

The Wrinkly Ninja
28 minutes ago, Bauldrick said:

Could it be that most of these comments saying they don't want Walker back are from Hibshit trolls who can't bear the the thought of him mesmerising their hapless defence, especially the useless Stevenson, he was a young man who made some silly career decisions (haven't we all done that in our youth), In my mind he was/is a supremely gifted footballer, well with his family genes, of course he is, I just hope that he has now got a better adviser behind him, I would certainly be prepared to give him another chance,  oh  and  FTH.

More likely that those who don’t want JW back are just simple people with a pair of eyes in their head!

The last 3 letters of your post can certainly be agreed by all....eyes or otherwise!

Edited by The Wrinkly Ninja

10 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

More likely that those who don’t want JW back are just simple people with a pair of eyes in their head!

The last 3 letters of your post can certainly be agreed by all....eyes or otherwise!

My eyes might be a bit dodgy nowadays but my memory tells me that before the dreaded Huns began to upset Walker by trying to lure him away with promises of vast fortunes and fame he was our outstanding performer, I would love to see that talent rekindled in a maroon shirt.

44 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

No he wouldn't mainly because we wont have him back +he has an ability complex.

Absolute Scenes
50 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Nope, Amankwaa and Mulroney have hardly played, therefore can’t say if they are worse

But they certainly wouldn’t expect to be paid more because of a few good games

Edited by Absolute Scenes

SuperstarSteve

Would not take Walker back purely because he went from “outstanding” to “downing tools and becoming a passenger” all because of interest from rangers mk 2. 

Made his bed. 

Supposedly a jambo.But lafferty a die hard bluenose didn’t once down tools. 

Albeit levein made it clear he was always wanting the move. 

Sow... I have my doubts although some players are tailor made for certain clubs, skacel and us being the obvious example.

vanaceck is signing for free so if we can get anybody else in now i’d Rather go down that route, rather than spending money on a guy who’s coming for free lol.

Gareth mcauley on a year deal would be outstanding business by the club. 

Forgot about Mitchell but don’t think their is anyone who doesn’t want him back, that speaks for itself 

Edited by SuperstarSteve

AlphonseCapone
18 minutes ago, Bauldrick said:

My eyes might be a bit dodgy nowadays but my memory tells me that before the dreaded Huns began to upset Walker by trying to lure him away with promises of vast fortunes and fame he was our outstanding performer, I would love to see that talent rekindled in a maroon shirt.

I like my players to be mentally stronger than JW. The way he downed tools when the huns come calling was pathetic. Sorry if that makes me a Hibs troll. 

Jamie walker on form would get a game for every team in the SPFL. I saw him at Ibrox for Wigan’s pre season and he was the best player on the park for them when he came on. Sadly I think he will end up on loan at Rangers before the window shuts. 

51 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Nope, Amankwaa and Mulroney have hardly played, therefore can’t say if they are worse

But they certainly wouldn’t expect to be paid more because of a few good games

You've clearly got a grudge, fair enough.  If he comes, I'll judge him on how he plays. 

1 hour ago, Gav M said:

The problem is, Walker no longer plays as a wide player as his knee problems robbed him of his speed. His best games for us for the latter part of his time here were from a more central area. 

Fair points.  Still think, if he comes, he could add to the squad.  Time will tell.

59 minutes ago, Bauldrick said:

Indeed.  Yes he's had issues, mostly with fitness IMO, but on his day he's easily good enough to be a top performer in our league.

2 hours ago, Bauldrick said:

The same Walker that barely ever turned up in a derby? That guy?

I don’t want Walker back either. It’s based on how poor he was for long periods and his lack of pace. Hope that’s okay? :lol:

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Jamie walker on form would get a game for every team in the SPFL. I saw him at Ibrox for Wigan’s pre season and he was the best player on the park for them when he came on. Sadly I think he will end up on loan at Rangers before the window shuts. 

He'd get a game for Celtic :rofl:

3 minutes ago, Bez said:

I don’t want Walker back either. It’s based on how poor he was for long periods and his lack of pace. Hope that’s okay? :lol:

Fine with me !!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, busby1985 said:

I hope he does end up there

Tennant's  6's

Poor player. Poorer attitude.  He's not got the pace to play out wide to take on & doesn't have what it takes to be a No.1

Better putting any money towards Demi, McAuley, Sow

I'd take Walker back if he accepts the wages that he was on previously. Play for the jersey for a season, prove himself and then after a season he can get a negotoiate a better deal. Otherwise he's not worth it. 

lost in space

Walker - his family member was a Hearts  hero.  His family were mostly jambos.  He was a very strong supporter as a boy.  He gets to play for his heroes - and then "downs tools" so that he can get a move to one of our rivals.

I would never want to see that snake in a jambo strip.  Even if he was fit and motivated.  How can you ever trust a player who behaves in such a manner.

Disgusting individual.  Almost as bad as Pressley and Webster.

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, HopeDiouf said:

You've clearly got a grudge, fair enough.  If he comes, I'll judge him on how he plays. 

Genuinely no grudge, I actually know him from school, But I just don’t rate him

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Genuinely no grudge, I actually know him from school, But I just don’t rate him

Fair enough - apologies.  Shall see what develops :thumbsup:

Adam_the_legend
3 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Walker - his family member was a Hearts  hero.  His family were mostly jambos.  He was a very strong supporter as a boy.  He gets to play for his heroes - and then "downs tools" so that he can get a move to one of our rivals.

I would never want to see that snake in a jambo strip.  Even if he was fit and motivated.  How can you ever trust a player who behaves in such a manner.

Disgusting individual.  Almost as bad as Pressley and Webster.

:spoton: