Haring

Clear few

Give the lad a chance, he may turn out a natural, he looks like he wants involved more, is athletic and can get up and down the park, scored a very good headed goal and looks a threat. Holding midfield can be a vital yet unsung position and can allow others to go forward with freedom. His passing was not great first half along with the rest of the team, but running into space is also part of a good pass and we were not doing that. It may not work out but happy to see him there again on Sunday.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clear few

• Sooperstar

• rudi must stay

• Bridge of Djoum

I thought Haring did okay.  Always looking to get involved and seems to have a decent attitude.  I won't proclaim him to be brilliant or write him off after only having seen him once.

The chat about 'getting away with it' is nonsense, though.  Despite not being effective in the first half. we were in total control of the game.  We improved in the second half.  While we were nowhere near being immense, we managed to score 5 goals.  I'd have thought that people would just be pleased with that. 

3 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Oh that is a good point. My mistake.

Doesn't change the fact we won the game. Albeit on penalties.

No, we technically drew the game and got a bonus point otherwise for winning the shootout, not the game (2 points)otherwise we would have gotten 3 points for the win.

I would call it trolling if I could be bothered.  3 wins :lol: 

Edited by Juanjo15

35 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Pretty much how I saw it. Cowdenbeath were rotten. Despite the goals the play was mostly crap,

The midfield worries me. I hope Olly Lee steps up and will be good to get djoum and Cochrane back.

This. We were playing a game we knew we had to win by nymerous hoals against one of the worst teams in Scottish football down to 10 men. We were mostly shite. We nicked some late goals as they tired but overall poor performance and long season ahead unless things improve drastically. As for haring, he looked like a ch playing midfield.

4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Oh what's this now? Our own website doesn't seem to have picked up on us winning the game. Hmmmm.

Screenshot_20180725-080030_Samsung Internet.jpg

:lol: 

42 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

5-0 is a frustrating result? The 1st half may have been pretty woeful, but I gather football is a game of 2 halves? That still the case?

We've 3 wins from 3 and folk are falling over themselves to have a pop at the club. 3 games into the season, created a ton of chances, a lot of new signings. We will get better. 

It matters not they were tiring or down to 10 men. 

We're you there?

1 minute ago, HopeDiouf said:

This. We were playing a game we knew we had to win by nymerous hoals against one of the worst teams in Scottish football down to 10 men. We were mostly shite. We nicked some late goals as they tired but overall poor performance and long season ahead unless things improve drastically. As for haring, he looked like a ch playing midfield.

Poor in the first half or not, we done what we had  I do which was won by numerous goals and leave it al in our hands on Sunday.  Perhaps the players where advised patience was the key? Especially if it’s practice matches for better stubborn sides that will come do the same but hold out for longer not being a part team side that finished bottom of the SPFL last season?  I wouldn’t go overboard like some but we done the job regardless of the peformance. I won’t be getting ahead of myself and praising individuals all over the shop against Cowdenbeath to then bring them down because the bar is raised so high.  Perspective is needed. 

PhoenixHearts
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

So Raith lost the game to us on penalties, but gained a point. How queer.

Little bit of an aside but in Hockey, where there are no draws, a tied game at the end of regulation and extra time always goes to penalties. The team who wins the shootout gets credited with a Win, the losing team with a loss.

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, Juanjo15 said:

Poor in the first half or not, we done what we had  I do which was won by numerous goals and leave it al in our hands on Sunday.  Perhaps the players where advised patience was the key? Especially if it’s practice matches for better stubborn sides that will come do the same but hold out for longer not being a part team side that finished bottom of the SPFL last season?  I wouldn’t go overboard like some but we done the job regardless of the peformance. I won’t be getting ahead of myself and praising individuals all over the shop against Cowdenbeath to then bring them down because the bar is raised so high.  Perspective is needed. 

Thing is though, it wasn’t about being patient. I could understand that if we had picked an appropriate lineup and formation and pummelled them until the inevitable breakthrough but that wasn’t the case. We played a style and system that looked like we could have played all night and not scored. It was only when we totally changed shape to a 4-4-2 and played with width that we started to open them up. Add to that a kick up the arse from Levein at half time and we were far more dangerous second half, albeit against a very poor team with ten men.

My worry is we’re going to stick with the 3-5-2 idea despite it not working. I hope Craig isn’t too stubborn to realise.

5 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

''Got away with it''

5-0

Beats, have a word, man.

5-0 against a pub team who were down to 10 men. If you can't see things will be very different against a decent team then it's pointless debating with you. 

Hope you're well though. 

6 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Thing is though, it wasn’t about being patient. I could understand that if we had picked an appropriate lineup and formation and pummelled them until the inevitable breakthrough but that wasn’t the case. We played a style and system that looked like we could have played all night and not scored. It was only when we totally changed shape to a 4-4-2 and played with width that we started to open them up. Add to that a kick up the arse from Levein at half time and we were far more dangerous second half, albeit against a very poor team with ten men.

My worry is we’re going to stick with the 3-5-2 idea despite it not working. I hope Craig isn’t too stubborn to realise.

I was trying to grasp something out of the poor first half tbh and it is worrying how lethargic we have been prior to ten mins on Saturday and second half last night.  I understand we are a work in progress but at this stage best shape and team should be almost known and worked on with they tools. 

Had a good second half. Except for Morrison , McDonald, the left back and a little cameo from big Uche little creativity in attack. 

Hopefully we will improve against ICT.

1 hour ago, Frank1874 said:

Agree I've seen us 3 times this season and 442 is our most effective formation...or at least a variation on that with Naismith in behind for example. The 3 centre backs have never looked comfortable and given we had the best centre half paring in the league last year it seems odd to change it...although nothing wrong with trying it out in a few friendlies. We need Godhinho back in the team and with Morrison Mcdonald and Mulraney we have skillful quick wide men.  Thought Gauricco looked decent for left back and we have a ridiculous amount of options for midfield and plenty combinations for front two.

I still think CL is a long way from a settled 11 which is a little concerning. I think more have played themselves out than in during these games.

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Agree I've seen us 3 times this season and 442 is our most effective formation...or at least a variation on that with Naismith in behind for example. The 3 centre backs have never looked comfortable and given we had the best centre half paring in the league last year it seems odd to change it...although nothing wrong with trying it out in a few friendlies. We need Godhinho back in the team and with Morrison Mcdonald and Mulraney we have skillful quick wide men.  Thought Gauricco looked decent for left back and we have a ridiculous amount of options for midfield and plenty combinations for front two.

I still think CL is a long way from a settled 11 which is a little concerning. I think more have played themselves out than in during these games.

Team was never going to be settled after 3 games with 13 new players.  Agree on the 442 though, the 3-5-2 makes us slow the game right down and allows lesser teams to get there shape as we spend 2 mins passing ball around in our own half.  Will be disappointed if Levein doesn't start 442 against ICT.

Gene Parmesan

Good player but I'm glad he'll only be in midfield in emergencies.

Seymour M Hersh

Thought he was poor in the first half but played better in the 2nd and improved more after scoring. However, not sure why after getting so many midfielders we're putting a CB in the holding role.

We've tried centre halves in midfield before.  McPherson, Weir,  Bruno, Barr, M.Smith.

Apart from Barr it works for a few games and then doesn't.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Is it any surprise? More than a new team is going to take time. This new LC format has come too quick. At least in friendlies you can make multiple subs and experiment. Can't really in the cup games although it seems he is in any case with Haring.

15 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Is it any surprise? More than a new team is going to take time. This new LC format has come too quick. At least in friendlies you can make multiple subs and experiment. Can't really in the cup games although it seems he is in any case with Haring.

Well it is a little surprising yes. If it's the case, he may for all I know have an absolute nailed down team...if not...

He bought these players, he must have bought them with a plan in mind for at least a match day squad. Different combinations I accept and a little bit of tweeking. He knows the strengths of the players at the club so in turn he's buying players who can add to those strengths and make us better.

For example last night Harring moving into midfield that's fine with me, he's played there before and we'll worth trying...but then he throws in Irving....That's simply not going to be a pairing in the league (unless we've got about 10 midfield injuries) so why try it? I'd have thought playing Edwards or Lee or even Burns etc was a better idea in preparation terms. The forwards I understand....different front pairings is fine. Then we have the shape of the team...to me 3 at the back looks dangerous for us we don't seem to utilise it very well...but I think it's designed to let Naismith sit deeper...which I don't think is working as we need him further forward. 

I'm not wetting my pants about it and I fully support the team needs to gel angle but I don't see how the partnerships we've seen make much sense to the actually league campaign.

Clearly CL is better qualified than me to decide but I'd like to have seen more of a team shape and personnel starting to form.

6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

We've tried centre halves in midfield before.  McPherson, Weir,  Bruno, Barr, M.Smith.

Apart from Barr it works for a few games and then doesn't.

McLaren, Karipidis.

No need to thank me.

21 hours ago, magicTs said:

Would love to know the thinking behind playing him in midfield given the actual midfielders available. Looks like the attitude is there and God knows that’s a bonus compared to some we’ve witnessed but immediate impression is he’s hugely limited ability wise. 

My thoughts too. Why sign all these midfielders and play a CB in Midfield?

He did all right last night but only really after they had their man sent off and the game opened up a bit and Naismith got more involved.

I think once we start playing better teams we will see how good he really is and at the moment I haven't built my hopes up.

Not making excuses....

There is a human element. I won’t ignore that Cowdenbeath are shite, and that we were shite in the first half.

For the new guys like Haring and Garrucio in particular it was their first game at Tynecastle. I think Ben himself said he felt pretty nervous in the first half. So there might have been an element of nerves and disjointedness in a new environment for some of them.

I think the way this group has worked out is as good preparation for the league as we could have hoped.

2 home games as our last games where we have been forced into a ‘no more mistakes’ mindset and been forced to make things work despite this still being a new team getting to know each other in competitive games.

2 good wins - if it happens - builds up nice momentum for our first game.

Levein will also have found out much more about the players as we have not just strolled all 4 games. You learn more from adversity than things going swimmingly.

Edited by Jammy T

36 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Not making excuses....

There is a human element. I won’t ignore that Cowdenbeath are shite, and that we were shite in the first half.

For the new guys like Haring and Garrucio in particular it was their first game at Tynecastle. I think Ben himself said he felt pretty nervous in the first half. So there might have been an element of nerves and disjointedness in a new environment for some of them.

I think the way this group has worked out is as good preparation for the league as we could have hoped.

2 home games as our last games where we have been forced into a ‘no more mistakes’ mindset and been forced to make things work despite this still being a new team getting to know each other in competitive games.

2 good wins - if it happens - builds up nice momentum for our first game.

Levein will also have found out much more about the players as we have not just strolled all 4 games. You learn more from adversity than things going swimmingly.

Correct in all respects.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

My thoughts too. Why sign all these midfielders and play a CB in Midfield?

He did all right last night but only really after they had their man sent off and the game opened up a bit and Naismith got more involved.

I think once we start playing better teams we will see how good he really is and at the moment I haven't built my hopes up.

very much my thoughts too.

He had a howler in the first half, losing the ball for the Cowden player to be clean through on goal.

If the boy had finished that would have been a major embarrassment (10 man pub team)

How about the big sub who came on the first and subbed in the second, He is fatter and slower than me.

We scored 10 against a far better Cowdenbeath side.

15 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

We nicked some late goals? 

Pasquale for King

Hard to judge any player in that game really. Can’t see anything about him playing in midfield before but he seemed to know what he was doing, not always succeeding obviously. We don’t have a natural defensive midfielder  so he might play there if Hughes is fit or we play 4 at the back. The fact we don’t have a DM considering we have ten MFs seems to be an oversight, even if we’re playing 5 at the back.

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hard to judge any player in that game really. Can’t see anything about him playing in midfield before but he seemed to know what he was doing, not always succeeding obviously. We don’t have a natural defensive midfielder  so he might play there if Hughes is fit or we play 4 at the back. The fact we don’t have a DM considering we have ten MFs seems to be an oversight, even if we’re playing 5 at the back.

We wanted Adao back we may still get him.

Tommy Walker
14 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Hopefully this is the case and looking forward to Sunday

Onup

TW

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

We wanted Adao back we may still get him.

I know that but when we didn’t get him you would’ve thought a replacement would be lined up, like Milinkovic it wasn’t. There’s no way that we would’ve known that Adao was going to be released from his contract at Sion as it’s been reported. The club should definitely be trying to get him back.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not all players will be "great". Haring has been and will be good. Wasn't afraid to take responsibility on Tues. The fact they shoehorned him in, shows how highly thought of he is already in this side as a leader.

Anyone thinking he will be a regular CM, needs to take a breather, he wont. Stray balls yes, but quite a few did hit the target and he was only doing what most folk are demanding. Looking for a forward ball. Good player for us I believe.

Why is Levein putting Haring in this defensive midfield position ? Is it for mainly for set piece's such as defending & attacking corners/free kick's ?

I would worry that if we are being outpassed in the middle of the park he will become the scapegoat. We will have to see a bit more of the big man 

in this midfield role and i for one hope he can make a success of it for his and our sakes. As long as we don't go back to this 3 at the back nonsense.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Why is Levein putting Haring in this defensive midfield position ? Is it for mainly for set piece's such as defending & attacking corners/free kick's ?

I would worry that if we are being outpassed in the middle of the park he will become the scapegoat. We will have to see a bit more of the big man 

in this midfield role and i for one hope he can make a success of it for his and our sakes. As long as we don't go back to this 3 at the back nonsense.

Prepare to be disappointed. 3 at the back is the way forward for us, with the amount of options we now have. Its rarely rigid anyhow, players drop in and out to match or outmanouvure what an opponent is doing in the game. It's not an exact science, open to adjustment, football people do this.

Edited by Sir Gio

Saw all the friendlies and with McLean Haring looked best of all the new signings. Quality centre half seemingly played out of position the other night. Has potential to be a big player I reckon. 

rudi must stay
43 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Saw all the friendlies and with McLean Haring looked best of all the new signings. Quality centre half seemingly played out of position the other night. Has potential to be a big player I reckon. 

I like his attitude, hard working and he seems to play with purpose. But let's see how he does in the big games, that's been our problem in recent years. We haven't brought that into the big games

56 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Prepare to be disappointed. 3 at the back is the way forward for us, with the amount of options we now have. Its rarely rigid anyhow, players drop in and out to match or outmanouvure what an opponent is doing in the game. It's not an exact science, open to adjustment, football people do this.

Sorry but couldn't disagree more. Berra is our best player IMO and certainly our best defender and he is suited to a back 4. Hopefully we can get Demi back as he will attack regardless of playing LB or LWB.

Escobar PHM
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Not all players will be "great". Haring has been and will be good. Wasn't afraid to take responsibility on Tues. The fact they shoehorned him in, shows how highly thought of he is already in this side as a leader.

Anyone thinking he will be a regular CM, needs to take a breather, he wont. Stray balls yes, but quite a few did hit the target and he was only doing what most folk are demanding. Looking for a forward ball. Good player for us I believe.

I liked his energy on Tuesday, specially the second half. He was one of the ones who really got a grip and improved. Started to find space and started to find a pass that found a Hearts player. Dangerous in the air. Good target for set pieces.Good late runs into the box when the ball went wide and always got back into the deeper position when required. He can also play as one of a back 3 if thats the way we are continuing ( I think we will in a large number of games) I like him so far.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

I liked his energy on Tuesday, specially the second half. He was one of the ones who really got a grip and improved. Started to find space and started to find a pass that found a Hearts player. Dangerous in the air. Good target for set pieces.Good late runs into the box when the ball went wide and always got back into the deeper position when required. He can also play as one of a back 3 if thats the way we are continuing ( I think we will in a large number of games) I like him so far.

The way I see it Esco. Hard to leave any of those 3 CB's out, they are all excellent players, with good football brains.

8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Can’t pass for toffee. I’d suggest that’s a problem

On Tuesday's evidence young Irving can't pass either . Don't believe that is true and won't be condemning him or Haring for some wayward passes .

Best players for me were Morrison and McDonald backed up Levein's comments after Raith game . I thought the much maligned Michael Smith and Haring had good games . Its not just about football . Following a frustrating first half we needed players like that to pick us up .

Everybody put in the shade by Uche of course 

Cruyff Turn

Looked good in that position, his positioning is good but I'd prefer him at the back over Hughes. He's effective there but he's only Playing there because we don't have a specialist player in that position.

colinmaroon

JKB, the forum for schizophrenic opinions!

Only read last for posts, all spot on, compared to those who thought he was dreadful.