• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4416.JPG

The pend to St Patricks Square, immediately on the other side was an older man Polish barber. Many years ago when I had hair I used to go there for cuts, one time I went to another barber and got a really short crew cut. Poor old Henry was almost in tears when he saw what I had done to my thick head of hair.

On 23/06/2018 at 12:52, superjack said:

I've always thought it a disgrace that the train services in Edinburgh is so limited. Surely by opening some of it again, this would be the best way to reduce car and bus traffic from the roads.

I've always wondered how Glasgow managed to keep a decent network, was it down to a better council running the city insisting that their trains carried on?

Hi - I'm looking for a picture of my grandfather's grocer's shop on Brandon Terrace in the 1940s and 50s - A. MacDougall - 19 Brandon Terrace.  Can anyone help?  Many thanks.

23 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

0_edinburgh_transport_trams_duke_street_277_10_09_53_1400.jpg

Dukes Head pub to the right of the tram , owned by Jimmy Millar (rangers) managed by my father . One of the tiniest snug bars ever and a dangerous trap door to the cellar .

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 16:36, argyjambo said:

Royal Park Terrace viewed from Holywood park

booger me and the missus couldn't figure that one out thought it was Harrison park

On 15/09/2019 at 14:35, Maroon Sailor said:

Old Edinburgh_ 29 Amazing Vintage Photos Show the Capital of Scotland From Between the 1900s and 1930s _ vintage everyday.jpeg

I am new to this, so apologies if it has been identified already.  Is this not the High Street where the Filling Station now stands? Opposite the Tron Kirk.  Although in which case the building next to it must have been demolished at some time.

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

F802FBA5-BE19-4E05-89A5-AB72812DE222.jpeg

Trams passing Piershill square east spent a lot of times there at my grans in the early 1960's

3 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

I am new to this, so apologies if it has been identified already.  Is this not the High Street where the Filling Station now stands? Opposite the Tron Kirk.  Although in which case the building next to it must have been demolished at some time.

You are correct.

The buildings next to it are away and it is part of the City Chambers now.

My uncle lives there but I have never seen a picture of what it looked like before.

...a bit disco
7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Was that once called Buggy's ?

Sure it was.

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Dalry Rd now a Kebab place

Was it not a Maplins at one point?.  I had a GF who lived across the road from it, used to park my car in the Co-op car park.

7 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

IMG_4430.JPG.01ec83ddafd598dd20e3ac97b4ab94aa.JPG

IMG_4431.thumb.JPG.ffc7fcb0710ac65dc6af88d0dc886222.JPG

I see the Filling Station as where the Tron Picture House used to be from the picture above

18 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Was it not a Maplins at one point?.  I had a GF who lived across the road from it, used to park my car in the Co-op car park.

Maplins was next door, to the left. Looking at the what you can see of the sign there, it looks like it might have been a Comet store before it was a Maplins. (Deja vu feeling typing that).

I see it's a furniture shop now.

Edited by Lemongrab

annushorribilis III
10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

SC00512087.jpg

Love this pic. Lots of childhood memories wrapped up in this.  Strangely, for all the literally hundreds of times I walked past that church I never saw a single person come or go, no weddings, nothing. 

12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_20190918_000537.jpg

that's a restaurant now if that's Dean Street to the left. Used to drink in Bert's Bar (Stockbridge Tap now) and the St Bernard's bar (opposite) or The Brief as it was known locally shut down two years ago think they got hit with a £10k bill for showing sky sports illegally so i was told.

2 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

that's a restaurant now if that's Dean Street to the left. Used to drink in Bert's Bar (Stockbridge Tap now) and the St Bernard's bar (opposite) or The Brief as it was known locally shut down two years ago think they got hit with a £10k bill for showing sky sports illegally so i was told.

St Bernard's Bar previously the Vat, John's Bar & the Brief Encounter.

Stockbridge Bar original the Raeburn  Bar then Bert's Bar

Edited by Stuart Lyon

53 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

St Bernard's Bar previously the Vat, John's Bar & the Brief Encounter.

Stockbridge Bar original the Raeburn  Bar then Bert's Bar

Cheers i only moved back to Edinburgh in 2007 and it was Bert's and the St Bernard's back then nice to know the previous other names used.

• 1 month later...
On 18/09/2019 at 00:09, Maroon Sailor said:

SC00512087.jpg

On 18/09/2019 at 11:09, annushorribilis III said:

Love this pic. Lots of childhood memories wrapped up in this.  Strangely, for all the literally hundreds of times I walked past that church I never saw a single person come or go, no weddings, nothing. 

It’s absolutely massive inside as you can imagine but not shaped like a regular church but almost a round shape. Also rather oddly there’s a small theatre in the basement.