• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
19 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Is this opposite what was to become St James Centre, top of Leith Walk  ? 

It's where the Omni Centre is now

My mum worked in Ewarts for over 20 years. I had a morning paper round over Caystaine. Old Mrs Ewart, son Ian..grandson Ian n Dougie. Big bar-ox guys. Sunday football leagues were entertaining. Once the Finns took over my mum was dumped. Gerry from the butchers across the shops was humping the Finns daughter so took over the newsagent.

On 24/08/2019 at 09:23, Maroon Sailor said:

Apparently used to be called Ewart's

IMG_4392.JPG

mind the guy that owned it in the 90s, Kevin I think his name was 

Edited by Herbert

On 27/08/2019 at 12:52, Radio Ga Ga said:

Canongate 1929

31842229-D0F1-41CC-9F8B-0B390723F2AF.jpeg

I'm having difficulty visualising this; any idea where it would be exactly?  To be the Canongate it would likely have to be the present day High Street with Palace of Holyrood down to the left.  If that's the case then doesn't all access slope off down both south (in this case), and indeed north towards Calton Hill.

Would have placed it somewhere off the Cowgate between Guthrie street and The Pleasance.

On 24/08/2019 at 07:37, Radio Ga Ga said:

4999549F-4C2B-4B3B-9010-21305752DD74.jpeg

Amazing photo; any idea of dates?

Virtual complete absence of any traffic/people - almost as if it was taken the day before Princes Street opened!

2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

I'm having difficulty visualising this; any idea where it would be exactly?  To be the Canongate it would likely have to be the present day High Street with Palace of Holyrood down to the left.  If that's the case then doesn't all access slope off down both south (in this case), and indeed north towards Calton Hill.

Would have placed it somewhere off the Cowgate between Guthrie street and The Pleasance.

According to the website - South Back of Canongate - now Holyrood Road

2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Amazing photo; any idea of dates?

Virtual complete absence of any traffic/people - almost as if it was taken the day before Princes Street opened!

From Calton Hill 1887

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

From Calton Hill 1887

Nice one, thanks.

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

According to the website - South Back of Canongate - now Holyrood Road

Been searching on net trying to narrow it down ... do you have the original link?  Might be Slater's Steps but then the South Back (Holyrood Rd) seems to slope the wrong way!

e: I guess the photo could be displayed the wrong way round.

Edited by ArcticJambo

2 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I thought it was maybe St John’s hill opposite Holyrood tavern ish looking up to pleasance. 

But it then again, given it was demolished before I was born it is a guess. 

That crossed my mind, towards Dumbiedykes area - it appears to be more south-facing than north-facing with no tenements on the Canongate horizon.

14 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

It says it's St Leonards here.

https://digital.nls.uk/photographs-of-the-south-side-of-edinburgh/archive/74506976?mode=fullsize

Too late to edit.

It was the first photo in the collection which was St Leonards. The collection is of photos from the southside though. If that is 'the back of the Canongate would have been called Holyrood Road in 1929 when the photo was taken. If it is Holyrood road, this map from 1950 shows the street numbers. There's nothing beside No64 (the No of the shop in the photo), but if you look to the other side of the block it's on, there are two flights of stairs, like in the photo. Could the stairs in the photo have been removed when the building at the other side of them were demolished? 

holyr.png

jambo east anglia
On 29/08/2019 at 11:41, Radio Ga Ga said:

Tollcross c1900

BAFD5B27-B84A-48A3-B5C7-04B60FC8A7DE.jpeg

According to my father, the building to the right of the picture with the tall windows was a pub known locally as 'The Gusset'.  Does anyone know the true name of the pub?  The street to the left is High Riggs and the tram tracks on the right are heading up Lauriston Place.

1 hour ago, jambo east anglia said:

According to my father, the building to the right of the picture with the tall windows was a pub known locally as 'The Gusset'.  Does anyone know the true name of the pub?  The street to the left is High Riggs and the tram tracks on the right are heading up Lauriston Place.

I believe it was called the Mitre.

3 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Great photo - not much of that left, are the tenements on the left on Lauriston place still there?

I don't think so. There a number of new buildings and then much further up som older tenements opposite the former church.

21 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

20 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Too late to edit.

It was the first photo in the collection which was St Leonards. The collection is of photos from the southside though. If that is 'the back of the Canongate would have been called Holyrood Road in 1929 when the photo was taken. If it is Holyrood road, this map from 1950 shows the street numbers. There's nothing beside No64 (the No of the shop in the photo), but if you look to the other side of the block it's on, there are two flights of stairs, like in the photo. Could the stairs in the photo have been removed when the building at the other side of them were demolished? 

holyr.png

I think you've cracked it! :thumbsup:  The buildings (up the steps: tenements on the right up to Robbs Entry and the gap site on the left) in the photo seem to tie in with the 1929 PO map.  The South Back of the Canongate seems to change its name to Holyrood Road sometime between 1912 and 1917, according to various maps.

luckyBatistuta
On 01/09/2019 at 12:38, Radio Ga Ga said:

Craighouse Asylum 1895

185C3EDB-3048-45DD-9BB7-61B4BCB8247C.jpeg

How bloody creepy does that look, all the chairs just sitting in positions on their own😬

7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

How bloody creepy does that look, all the chairs just sitting in positions on their own😬

What, you cant see the people sitting in them 👻

luckyBatistuta
35 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

What, you cant see the people sitting in them 👻

Holy shit, I can’t believe I didn’t notice, that’s bloody creepy 😳😬

42F746ED-E5C1-4722-8776-632E5E944C63.jpeg

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Holy shit, I can’t believe I didn’t notice, that’s bloody creepy 😳😬

42F746ED-E5C1-4722-8776-632E5E944C63.jpeg

:rofl:

All those chairs and no one to throw them at. 

Came across this picture on the Canmore site; I'm guessing it's been posted before.  The Tron Church, taken in 1929.

A quite remarkable photo that was probably only possible for a short window of time while that corner was down.

SC00426696.jpg