• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211108_123322.jpg

The old (Rossleigh's ?) garage on the left where  RBS built their monstrosity of a building. 

About where that car is parked (left) there used to be a confectioners in the 60s and the owner had a mynah bird that was a fantastic mimic. 

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The old (Rossleigh's ?) garage on the left where  RBS built their monstrosity of a building. 

About where that car is parked (left) there used to be a confectioners in the 60s and the owner had a mynah bird that was a fantastic mimic. 

That monstrosity is getting knocked down and turned into private apartments sure i read something about that recently there certainly is some preliminary work going on just now.

On 07/11/2021 at 07:59, Radio Ga Ga said:

99185C5C-D6FD-4095-BE34-4B83F0C396BE.jpeg

9DB88184-58AC-4DA4-A442-1BAD5F564154.jpeg

1F6F5033-8D1E-4BC9-925B-C2B2CA3AEDB4.jpeg

How utterly Eastern Bloc does that look? But I lived there when I was a tot. 17/4 Clovenstone Drive. Don't even know if it is still there.

On 03/11/2021 at 08:17, JamesM48 said:

That's where " Fire Island " was.  it was directly above the " watches of Switzerland" shop. It was a brilliant club with legendary music and performers such as Eartha Kitt and Divine.  Their Hogmanay nights were brilliant too. 

It was also an important club way beyond the brilliant nights and performers. It wouldn't be going too far to say that it saved people's lives and helped them understand they could be who the **** they wanted to.

On 07/11/2021 at 12:59, Radio Ga Ga said:

99185C5C-D6FD-4095-BE34-4B83F0C396BE.jpeg

9DB88184-58AC-4DA4-A442-1BAD5F564154.jpeg

1F6F5033-8D1E-4BC9-925B-C2B2CA3AEDB4.jpeg

2 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

How utterly Eastern Bloc does that look? But I lived there when I was a tot. 17/4 Clovenstone Drive. Don't even know if it is still there.

Used to love it going to the venchie. As I lived in dumbryden, I wasn't allowed to go on my own. Used to have to pretend our mates big brother was watching us.

been here before
20 minutes ago, superjack said:

Used to love it going to the venchie. As I lived in dumbryden, I wasn't allowed to go on my own. Used to have to pretend our mates big brother was watching us.

Aye the Venchie was magic. Big old phone poles, lumps of plywood and tyres all held together with 6 inch nails, the ends of which more often than not stuck out the other side from which they were hammered in.

Easily 20 ft high in places. No safety equipment, rubber mats or any adult suoervision. No maximum capacity. Open all weathers and all conditions. Brilliant place to play- probably the last generation who were allowed to just go out and get on with it. To get lumps, bumps and scrapes. Just dozens of long haired skint bairns in flares :lol:

I cant recall anyone really getting hurt.

Imagine suggesting somewhere like that these days!

https://hailesmatters.wordpress.com/articles/the-venchie-story/

8.jpg.3f4271ebde81f6fbb29af7380d593ee4.jpg

out-of-school-12.thumb.jpg.9a2e0488a4210045fbefbe3b491f4f89.jpg

thumb_b12d6643-585c-468a-a95d-0db0c92a5f92.jpg.d42df0a5191a11c373dfbeb5dcf2be05.jpg

Edited by been here before

6 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

4E5B8D0A-965C-4D05-BCA9-3AC56016F5A7.jpeg

Amazing that this building was demolished. A brilliant left field architect whose work you can see on the tenements on Castle Terrace at the Art College end. I just wish I could remember his bloody name. 

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Aye the Venchie was magic. Big old phone poles, lumps of plywood and tyres all held together with 6 inch nails, the ends of which more often than not stuck out the other side from which they were hammered in.

Easily 20 ft high in places. No safety equipment, rubber mats or any adult suoervision. No maximum capacity. Open all weathers and all conditions. Brilliant place to play- probably the last generation who were allowed to just go out and get on with it. To get lumps, bumps and scrapes. Just dozens of long haired skint bairns in flares :lol:

I cant recall anyone really getting hurt.

Imagine suggesting somewhere like that these days!

https://hailesmatters.wordpress.com/articles/the-venchie-story/

8.jpg.3f4271ebde81f6fbb29af7380d593ee4.jpg

out-of-school-12.thumb.jpg.9a2e0488a4210045fbefbe3b491f4f89.jpg

thumb_b12d6643-585c-468a-a95d-0db0c92a5f92.jpg.d42df0a5191a11c373dfbeb5dcf2be05.jpg

There was a guy in my class in dumbryden primary who got hurt. IIRC, he fell. Was off school for a wee while I think. Would have been around 80 or 81, as we moved away in 81.

51 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Amazing that this building was demolished. A brilliant left field architect whose work you can see on the tenements on Castle Terrace at the Art College end. I just wish I could remember his bloody name. 

That's "Rockville" by "romantic rationalist" architect Sir James Gowans, buried in The Grange Cemetry under an interetsing headstone.

Rockville demolished in 1966 . He also designed Lammerburn (below) still standing in Napier Rd

image.png.33d15034ce609cbbc8e17d25cb31783c.png

Doctor FinnBarr
13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Balerno, Currie, Juniper Green,  Colinton all had stations

Did the track end at Balerno then? Don't think the Lang Whang shows any of the usual signs of there being a train track running west.

14 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Did the track end at Balerno then? Don't think the Lang Whang shows any of the usual signs of there being a train track running west.

It looks like it was on a side loop of the Edinburgh-Carstairs-GLasgow line, which covered Colinton  & Juniper Green too.     

Byyy The Light
20 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Aye. The site the high school is on used to be a goods yard

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

It looks like it was on a side loop of the Edinburgh-Carstairs-GLasgow line, which covered Colinton  & Juniper Green too.     

2 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Aye. The site the high school is on used to be a goods yard

Thanks guys

I P Knightley
15 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Nice to see a Jensen Interceptor or FF in that pic. 

That was my reaction, too.

Pretty certain it was an Interceptor. I was car daft as a kid (around that time) and was pretty certain that nobody in Edinburgh had an FF.

Also - the vinyl roofs (rooves?) on the Granny and 'Tina!

10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

That was my reaction, too.

Pretty certain it was an Interceptor. I was car daft as a kid (around that time) and was pretty certain that nobody in Edinburgh had an FF.

Also - the vinyl roofs (rooves?) on the Granny and 'Tina!

There was an FF that used to park in Trinity that I saw on the way to school, lovely metallic bronze one. Even more bizarrely a street near the same place someone owned a Ferrari Dino that they parked on the street as they didn't have a driveway and used as their daily driver. 

Seymour M Hersh
15 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

1C415B5D-AEC1-4D53-BAC9-0D30941CE6E0.jpeg

Interesting to see what was in situ prior to the NB (Balmoral) being built. Not sure if it's shops, houses or a combination.