Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Colinton Road outside Redford Barracks?

Yeah that's where I place it

25 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

A Tam traffic jam!

That was a line up of trams full of girls  one night when the town girls heard Handsome Boab was available and would be at the Cav. 🤪

19 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

That was a line up of trams full of girls  one night when the town girls heard Handsome Boab was available and would be at the Cav. 🤪

You wish! 😃

Carl Fredrickson
6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Not that I recall . 👍

Cheers - must have been somewhere else but in my defence it was over 30 years ago. Someone at work the other day said "30 years ago" and I was thinking of the 1970s.....only for them to mention 1991. Where does the time go????

1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers - must have been somewhere else but in my defence it was over 30 years ago. Someone at work the other day said "30 years ago" and I was thinking of the 1970s.....only for them to mention 1991. Where does the time go????

Tell me about it. Unreal how time has flown. 

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Seafield possibly near crematorium 

Duddingston / Craigmillar 

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Duddingston / Craigmillar 

Well that’s only half a mile as the crow flies lol

On 03/11/2021 at 20:03, Maroon Sailor said:

20211103_200254.jpg

A trio of 26's at Clermiston Road terminus.    There was never any need to run to catch one, as there'd always be another along in a few minutes. 🙂

Just now, Lone Striker said:

A trio of 26's at Clermiston Road terminus.    There was never any need to run to catch one, as there'd always be another along in a few minutes. 🙂

The last time I was in Edinburgh I took a bus to there then walked across the road to go into Clerwood and look at our former house in Clerwood Loan.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

They are using that terminus to this day though they did have a crescent on the other side (where that lorry is) they used for a while but is now only used as the turning circle

On 02/11/2021 at 22:40, NANOJAMBO said:

70s - Bay City Rollers graffiti on the wall. 

was on the North British at top of waverley steps for at least until the mid 90s. best grafitti ever, an edinburgh insitutiuon!

On 01/11/2021 at 12:15, Maroon Sailor said:

St Margaret's Depot

20211031_231256.jpg.8a82f2c6d0cc367a2bb2f131986901fd.jpg

The locomotive is an A4 Pacific designed by Sir Nigel Gresley. When I was 9 or 10, I took up Trainspotting (yeah I know) for 6 weeks or so during the school holidays. We used to stand somewhere in the Carricknowe area and "spot" the trains using the lines into and out of Haymarket goods yard and the Waverley Station. One day along came A4 Pacific "Union of South Africa" number 60009 with no carriages. The driver stopped and asked if we were interested in a wee trip. He helped us up onto the footplate and we went a fair distance, probably out passed Balerno before he reversed back.

An A4 still holds the world speed record for a steam train and travelling the longest distance non-stopped.

Doctor FinnBarr
15 minutes ago, spud said:

The locomotive is an A4 Pacific designed by Sir Nigel Gresley. When I was 9 or 10, I took up Trainspotting (yeah I know) for 6 weeks or so during the school holidays. We used to stand somewhere in the Carricknowe area and "spot" the trains using the lines into and out of Haymarket goods yard and the Waverley Station. One day along came A4 Pacific "Union of South Africa" number 60009 with no carriages. The driver stopped and asked if we were interested in a wee trip. He helped us up onto the footplate and we went a fair distance, probably out passed Balerno before he reversed back.

An A4 still holds the world speed record for a steam train and travelling the longest distance non-stopped.

I'm confused now, has there ever been a train track past/through Balerno? Certainly not in my 60 years.

6 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'm confused now, has there ever been a train track past/through Balerno? Certainly not in my 60 years.

Sorry FinnBarr for the confusion. I was trying to convey the distance we went.

However, if you look earlier in this thread there are photos of the Railway station in Balerno. I think they are very close to the begining. Cheers, again sorry for the confusion.

Maroon Sailor
49 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Is that Summerhall/Melville Terrace? 

Believe it to be Hope Park 

Maroon Sailor
6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Balerno, Currie, Juniper Green,  Colinton all had stations

Montgomery Brewster
4 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Is that Summerhall/Melville Terrace? 

Aye east end of the meadows junction

Edited by Montgomery Brewster

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211108_103417.jpg

I forgot Thins had a shop there for all the brainy students to get their text books. There was a Kosher butcher over the road too

luckyBatistuta
20 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Is this now OX185 or somehting?

Think that’s right, the grey buildings at the top left corner are still there.