Arshavin - Best player at Euro 08

vegas-voss

All the rest get more hype but this lad is better than Modric and co and if i were Ferguson i would cash in now on Ronaldo and invest in Arshavin.

Europes Messi

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

I will be surprised if he is at Zenit Petersburg in September. He looks a great player.

All the rest get more hype but this lad is better than Modric and co and if i were Ferguson i would cash in now on Ronaldo and invest in Arshavin.

Europes Messi

F******g great analysis mate.

colinmaroon

He is brilliant - and he does it for club and country - regularly!!!

Agree, Fergie should sell R and buy him!!!

Nice profit and potentially an even more valuable player.

He is brilliant - and he does it for club and country - regularly!!!

Agree, Fergie should sell R and buy him!!!

Nice profit and potentially an even more valuable player.

I have never seen Arshavin have a bad game.On a world stage he is my new favourite player.

Carl Spackler

Superb. Not a single Dutchman could lace his boots and I wanted them to win for their abilities. If Arshavin and Russia keep going like that they are the winners.

I will be surprised if he is at Zenit Petersburg in September. He looks a great player.

Advocaat already saying he wants to leave Zenit. Imagine him up front with Torres. No doubt he'll end up at Chelski !

Charlie-Brown

This thread just highlights everything that's wrong with football today - the assumption and reality that the money in the Premiership (& Spain) can just hoover up all the available talent.

Arshavin is having a great tournament (even though it's only his 2nd game) with Russia and he already just had a great season helping Zenit to win the UEFA Cup.

I know in days gone by Cruyff and Platini ended up at Barca & Juventus but not before they had helped their local clubs Ajax & St. Ettiene to the pinnacle of European football.

It would be better if Arshavan stayed in Russia and helped improve their clubs standing in the Champions League.

Man Utd & Chelski etc because of their buying power playing fantasy football with their playing squads & managers isn't good for football and it's killing competitiveness in the european club scene as witnessed by the frequency of english clubs in the semi's & finals of the champions league.

Some people think it's a good thing but it really isn't, could anybody today imagine smaller clubs like Ajax winning 3 Champions League's on the bounce or St. Ettiene playing in the final & semi-finals etc.

Anyway rant over. :)

Fat Striker

He's a fantastic player and I couldn't wait for him to serve his 2 match ban and take part in this tournament. He's pretty much the sole reason I backed Russia at 25/1.

Unlike some of the players he's being grouped with (Messi, Ronaldo etc) he's actually come to prominence on the world stag fairly late in his career, although he's been a big star in his own Country for some years. The rest have all been 'teen-sensations' and swallowed up by 'big' clubs early on.

I think many people think he's younger than he is due to his baby-faced looks (He's actually 27).

It was also mentioned during commentary in his first game back against Sweden that he's extremely well looked after at Zenit and earns something in the region of ?50,000 a week.

There is serious money in the Russian league these days and I agree it would be nice if he opted to stay in his homeland. Unless of course he fancied moving to Hearts or Everton. Those two options would be fine by me!

He's a fantastic player and I couldn't wait for him to serve his 2 match ban and take part in this tournament. He's pretty much the sole reason I backed Russia at 25/1.

Unlike some of the players he's being grouped with (Messi, Ronaldo etc) he's actually come to prominence on the world stag fairly late in his career, although he's been a big star in his own Country for some years. The rest have all been 'teen-sensations' and swallowed up by 'big' clubs early on.

I think many people think he's younger than he is due to his baby-faced looks (He's actually 27).

It was also mentioned during commentary in his first game back against Sweden that he's extremely well looked after at Zenit and earns something in the region of ?50,000 a week.

There is serious money in the Russian league these days and I agree it would be nice if he opted to stay in his homeland. Unless of course he fancied moving to Hearts or Everton. Those two options would be fine by me!

Short list of year Salarys of rusian players(I have top 30):

1. Peter Odemwingi (Lokomotiv) - 2.5 mill. Euros

1. Alexander Kerjakov (Dinamo) - 2.5

2. Fatih Teke (Zenit) - 2.2

3. Sergei Semak (Rubin captain of Russia) - 2.1

4. Andrei Arshavin (Zenit) - 2.0

4. Alejandro Dominges (Zenit) - 2.0

4. Anatoly Timoshchuk (Zenit) - 2.0

5. Dani (Dinamo) - 1.8

5. Malhas Asatiani (Lokomotiv) - 1.8

6. Dmitrii Luskov (Saturn) - 1.5

===========

and ect.....

Bonuses betwen 10 000 and 20 000 USD for one game for victory.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Undoubtedly Arshavin has been the player of the tournament.

However, that doesn't mean he will automatically perform the following season. I can recall Toto Schillachi being the star of Italia 90. A couple of years later he was in the J League in Japan.

Undoubtedly Arshavin has been the player of the tournament.

However, that doesn't mean he will automatically perform the following season. I can recall Toto Schillachi being the star of Italia 90. A couple of years later he was in the J League in Japan.

You can't compare Toto Schillaci with Arshavin.

Schillaci was merely a penalty box player who happened to get lucky in one big tournament, Arshavin is an outstanding player doing all sorts of amazing things for his team.

I look forward to seeing how Zenit do in the CL next season.

Geoff Kilpatrick
You can't compare Toto Schillaci with Arshavin.

Schillaci was merely a penalty box player who happened to get lucky in one big tournament, Arshavin is an outstanding player doing all sorts of amazing things for his team.

I look forward to seeing how Zenit do in the CL next season.

We'll see.

He'll be snapped up with someone and my feeling is that he won't scale the heights he's shown in this tournament.

John Findlay

Arshavin undoubtedly has lots of skill but to me the player of the tournament who has influenced matches the most to date has been Michael Ballack of Germany.

John

Gigolo-Aunt
Arshavin undoubtedly has lots of skill but to me the player of the tournament who has influenced matches the most to date has been Michael Ballack of Germany.

John

Glad someone else has noticed Balllack this tournament.

He has been top drawer for Germany this Championship. His performance against Portugal was one of the best CM displays I have seen in quite a while.

Charlie-Brown

Hagi was a terrific player for Steua Bucharest and continued to always be a world-class player for Romania but he struggled to settle at foreign clubs. Arshavin might be similar if he were to move to western europe or he might be terrific but I hope he stays with Zenit as we need more diversity in football and more stronger clubs to challenge the usual suspects in the Champions League.

Gigolo-Aunt
Hagi was a terrific player for Steua Bucharest and continued to always be a world-class player for Romania but he struggled to settle at foreign clubs. Arshavin might be similar if he were to move to western europe or he might be terrific but I hope he stays with Zenit as we need more diversity in football and more stronger clubs to challenge the usual suspects in the Champions League.

Like all lot of players though, NMH - a fresh challenge and the chance to play in one of the top leagues in Europe is hard to turn down (no offense to the Russian league)

One thing is for sure though, if clubs come sniffing - some Russian teams now are in a stronger position to knock back bids as well as offering better money contracts to players.

He has been top drawer for Germany this Championship. His performance against Portugal was one of the best CM displays I have seen in quite a while.

Ballack is performing the role that Zidane used to for France. The other players in the team always look to him for the inspiration. And he has met that challenge so far in this tournament.

I think that Chelsea when they look back might regret not building the team around him in the last year or so. Similarly to how England should have built their team around Scholes and not Beckham/Lampard/Gerrard - Chelsea should have built around Ballack.

Arshavin was wonderful last night. The best young looking rosy cheeked Eastern European player I've seen since Miko.:untitled:

Guest S.U.S.S.

Europes Messi

Well done mate, almost word for word what the commentators said.

Gigolo-Aunt

Arshavin was wonderful last night. The best young looking rosy cheeked Eastern European player I've seen since Miko.:untitled:

Hehehehehehehe

You make a good point with Ballack. Chelsea have criminally underused his best qualities in his time at the bridge. 120k a week and you play him in a way that does not get the best out of him.

The Old Tolbooth

Bollox to Fergie signing him, if Liverpool are serious about a title challenge for a change then this is exactly the type of player they need to bring in.

He runs about like a man possessed and has skill in abundancy, probably the most talented player I've seen for years.

I'm sure I heard that O'Niell was after him to come to Villa.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Bollox to Fergie signing him, if Liverpool are serious about a title challenge for a change then this is exactly the type of player they need to bring in.

He runs about like a man possessed and has skill in abundancy, probably the most talented player I've seen for years.

what about clum?:)

The Old Tolbooth
what about clum?:)

He just runs about like a headless chicken with absolutely no skill whatsoever about him, and stinks of vaseline into the bargain (apparently) :rolleyes:

A complete waste of a maroon jersey, but if Zenit are interested in a swap deal, then I'm sure we could get a new tea lady for Clum!

Quality player.... must still have a few years ahead of him which makes me think he'll stay where is for now due to the crazy wages Gazprom throw at St P's.

I thought he was only about 23 although i knew he had been about for years.

The Old Tolbooth
I love him, just for pumping Rangers.

That's a good enough reason for me too mate :D

That's a good enough reason for me too mate :D

It's like a deep love.

Kinda like the love between a Rangers fan and his sister.

;)

The Old Tolbooth
It's like a deep love.

Kinda like the love between a Rangers fan and his sister.

;)

There's no "deeper" love than that mate ;)

The thing is Ballack was largely anonymous in Germany's opening 2 fixtures. There is no doubt he was tremendous against portugal and scored a screamer against austria but i cant really understand how he is the bookies favourite already for player of the tournament. So he has had 2 great games - so has Sneijder, Villa and now Arshavin. Buffons not been playing badly either

The thing is Ballack was largely anonymous in Germany's opening 2 fixtures. There is no doubt he was tremendous against portugal and scored a screamer against austria but i cant really understand how he is the bookies favourite already for player of the tournament. So he has had 2 great games - so has Sneijder, Villa and now Arshavin. Buffons not been playing badly either

Sneijder is a great player aswell and looked like the only Dutch player that really gave a toss last night.

The boy is absolutely class. No one could get near him last night. Iam usre I told just about everyone in the pub last night who would listen how good he is. They probably thought I was in love with him. And I think you are right about Liverpool. Forget Villa. Arshavin would suit rigth into the team. Just imagine Torres, Arshavin and Gerrard.

Alos love him for destroying Rangers.

Regular John

I don't think he'd make much of an impact if he was to move to a bigger team such as Chelsea or Man Utd, same with most of the Russian squad.

I think when Hiddink leaves the Russian post most of the players will return to relative unknown obscurity.

I really beleive that Hiddink is one of if not the best man managers in the world and gets the very best and more from all the players he coaches.

That's why I've had a few quid on Russia to win it from the start.

Think he's a player who'll always be great so long as he's playing for a smaller club / Russia - he'll be fantastic if the team's built around him, but maybe less so at a bigger club where he's expected to be a good player among a team of good players. Don't think that he could move to one of the real top clubs, but certainly very talented.

On a (vaguely) related topic, does Pavlyuchenko remind anyone of a (very) rich man's Jankauskas? All the talent in the world but frustrating as ****.

I don't think he'd make much of an impact if he was to move to a bigger team such as Chelsea or Man Utd, same with most of the Russian squad.

I think when Hiddink leaves the Russian post most of the players will return to relative unknown obscurity.

I really beleive that Hiddink is one of if not the best man managers in the world and gets the very best and more from all the players he coaches.

That's why I've had a few quid on Russia to win it from the start.

So if thats the case why is he brilliant for Zenit.Simply fact is Russian football is booming and they are producing brilliant young footballers(youngest squad at Euro 08).Hiddink is also in it for the long haul as he has signed up to take them to the end of the next WC at least.

Think he's a player who'll always be great so long as he's playing for a smaller club / Russia - he'll be fantastic if the team's built around him, but maybe less so at a bigger club where he's expected to be a good player among a team of good players. Don't think that he could move to one of the real top clubs, but certainly very talented.

On a (vaguely) related topic, does Pavlyuchenko remind anyone of a (very) rich man's Jankauskas? All the talent in the world but frustrating as ****.

Pavlyuchenko would not even have been playing if the Zenit striker was not injured.

Arshavins been the best player of the tournament.

He'll leave Zenit but wont go to Chelsea, not even sure he will play in England, hope he doesnt go to Chelsea, will want to play with a team with the same passing flair and finishing as Russia, and in England there are 3 teams who can do that, especially 2.

Probably end up at Real or Barcelona but without doubt, the player of the tournament also Pablenchenko is not a bad player also!

Pavlyuchenko would not even have been playing if the Zenit striker was not injured.

I know.

:unsure:

The Zenit striker's called Pavel Pogrebnyak (sp?).

My old man made the same comparison during the game last night.

Regular John
So if thats the case why is he brilliant for Zenit.Simply fact is Russian football is booming and they are producing brilliant young footballers(youngest squad at Euro 08).Hiddink is also in it for the long haul as he has signed up to take them to the end of the next WC at least.

Like I say, I really think Hiddink has played a major part in the career development of most of the Russian players since he appeared on the scene, Arshavin is a prime example.

Arshavin isn't exactly young himself, 27 and he's only just in the past year with Zenit and Russia became an established name in Western Europe.

I wasn't sure of Hiddink contractual status, I was under the impression he was leaving for another challenge like he normally does.

But it's good for Russian football that he's staying. It makes you wonder what South Korea or Australia could have achieved if he hung around in those places for longer.

Arshavins been the best player of the tournament.

He'll leave Zenit but wont go to Chelsea, not even sure he will play in England, hope he doesnt go to Chelsea, will want to play with a team with the same passing flair and finishing as Russia, and in England there are 3 teams who can do that, especially 2.

Probably end up at Real or Barcelona but without doubt, the player of the tournament also Pablenchenko is not a bad player also![/QUOTE]

Crap.You have just made all this stuff up.You sound like a hibby with all that flair nonsense.:hobofish::)

Archived