Arshavin - Best player at Euro 08

vegas-voss

Like I say, I really think Hiddink has played a major part in the career development of most of the Russian players since he appeared on the scene, Arshavin is a prime example.

Arshavin isn't exactly young himself, 27 and he's only just in the past year with Zenit and Russia became an established name in Western Europe.

I wasn't sure of Hiddink contractual status, I was under the impression he was leaving for another challenge like he normally does.

But it's good for Russian football that he's staying. It makes you wonder what South Korea or Australia could have achieved if he hung around in those places for longer.

He knew when to leave.Took both as far as he could.Think he knows this is just the start of something special in Russian football.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
loveofthegame

The player that has actually impressed me most isn't Arshavin(despite his obvious class) its his team mate, Yuri Zhirkov-

hes been playing left back the whole tournie, although can apparently also play left mid. Hes been out of this world, so good at getting forward and has just generally been involved in everything Russia have done well. Only 24 as well i think. Different gravy.

Just found this goal he scored for CSKA in Champs League-

The player that has actually impressed me most isn't Arshavin(despite his obvious class) its his team mate, Yuri Zhirkov-

hes been playing left back the whole tournie, although can apparently also play left mid. Hes been out of this world, so good at getting forward and has just generally been involved in everything Russia have done well. Only 24 as well i think. Different gravy.

The rightback is great as well.Other teams are lucky that they seem to miss a lot of chances to kill teams off.Would be different though if their main striker wasn't injured.

How long before the Daily ****** has him linked to either of the ugly sisters along with Pavlyuchenko?

You can see the tripe now.

Arshavan= "I would love to play for Celtic or Rangers there history is the best in Europe"*

*WARNING* Arshavans words would definatly be fabricated

Russia were poor before he played, now they look a good bet to win the thing.

That kinda says it all.

doctor jambo

And has a buy out clause of only ?10 million

What a bargain!

(at least according to ITV highlights at 4am today)

Did Vlad not say he would pay 10 million for the right guy?:eek:

Here Vlad, I found him for you......

mattyw_1874

Looks Like Barca to me.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3726049,00.html

Russia ace Andrei Arshavin says he has offers from England and Germany, but his preference is to play in Spain.

Arshavin has emerged as the star of Euro 2008 following his stunning performance in Russia's quarter-final win over Holland.

He had missed the opening two matches of the tournament through suspension and also produced an influential display in the final group game against Sweden.

The playmaker impressed for Zenit St Petersburg last season and is tipped to leave the Uefa Cup winners at the end of the European Championship.

Zenit coach Dick Advocaat conceded last week that the 27-year-old wants to move on and a clutch of clubs have been linked with a ?10million-plus bid.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City and Newcastle United have all been mooted as admirers of Arshavin, while Barcelona are rumoured to see him as an ideal replacement for Deco.

Time has come

Arshavin admits it may be time to leave Russian football and claims his dream would be to join a Spanish club.

"Perhaps the time has come, yes," Arshavin told AS when asked whether he would move to another European league.

"I know that I have offers from England and Germany, but what I really want is to play in the Primera Liga.

"It's the championship that I have always followed, I like how football is played there.

"But for now, I have no offers from Spain."

The schemer's international team-mate Roman Pavlyuchenko has been linked with a move to Real Madrid and Arshavin feels there are many more Russia players who will have caught the eye at Euro 2008.

He added: "There are many good players in my country, but people are now discovering us.

"It's not only me. This tournament is an opportunity for us."

Good move from Pep Guardiola if he moves the the Camp Nou if you ask me.

Arshavins been the best player of the tournament.

He'll leave Zenit but wont go to Chelsea' date=' not even sure he will play in England, hope he doesnt go to Chelsea, will want to play with a team with the same passing flair and finishing as Russia, and in England there are 3 teams who can do that, especially 2.

Probably end up at Real or Barcelona but without doubt, the player of the tournament also Pablenchenko is not a bad player also![/[/b']QUOTE]

Crap.You have just made all this stuff up.You sound like a hibby with all that flair nonsense.:hobofish::)

Barca want him, hardly crap....

This thread just highlights everything that's wrong with football today - the assumption and reality that the money in the Premiership (& Spain) can just hoover up all the available talent.

Arshavin is having a great tournament (even though it's only his 2nd game) with Russia and he already just had a great season helping Zenit to win the UEFA Cup.

I know in days gone by Cruyff and Platini ended up at Barca & Juventus but not before they had helped their local clubs Ajax & St. Ettiene to the pinnacle of European football.

It would be better if Arshavan stayed in Russia and helped improve their clubs standing in the Champions League.

Man Utd & Chelski etc because of their buying power playing fantasy football with their playing squads & managers isn't good for football and it's killing competitiveness in the european club scene as witnessed by the frequency of english clubs in the semi's & finals of the champions league.

Some people think it's a good thing but it really isn't, could anybody today imagine smaller clubs like Ajax winning 3 Champions League's on the bounce or St. Ettiene playing in the final & semi-finals etc.

Anyway rant over. :)

Good post Charlie.

Agree with every word.

The comparisons between Arshavin and Ronaldo are laughable. Arshavin would score 40 goals in the premiership then would he? He's not exactly prolific in the russian league, although he is ovbiously a very good player, he doesn't have the physique Ronaldo has. People forget that apart from Ronaldo's skill and finishing he is also the complete athlete, powerful and like sh*t of a shovel.

IMO he will be even better than players like Cruyff and Zidane and if he carries Portugal to a tournament win then he'll be ranked up along side Pele and Maradona IMO.

John Findlay

Arshavin. Gone missing tonight in the sameway Ballack went missing last night.

Two players from the Spanish team who dont get the praise they deserve.

Senna in the holding role and Sergio Ramos at right back.

John

Senna has been my player of the tourny.

Ramos was excellent tonight, commentators ignored him in the first half because they had a hard-on for the Russian left back.

John Findlay
The comparisons between Arshavin and Ronaldo are laughable. Arshavin would score 40 goals in the premiership then would he? He's not exactly prolific in the russian league, although he is ovbiously a very good player, he doesn't have the physique Ronaldo has. People forget that apart from Ronaldo's skill and finishing he is also the complete athlete, powerful and like sh*t of a shovel.

IMO he will be even better than players like Cruyff and Zidane and if he carries Portugal to a tournament win then he'll be ranked up along side Pele and Maradona IMO.

Ronaldo not even in the same class as George Best. Never mind Pele or Maradonna.

John

The Old Tolbooth

Senna has had an amazing tournament, he reminds me of Goncalves, only Senna can actually play football!

Anyone who didn't enjoy Arshavin's 2 quality games shouldn't be watching football. Of course he can't be called world class, if he doesn't do it on nights like this, but he still has time.

I was more taken aback by the Russian forward showing shades of "Terry Seddingham" :wacko:

Again, typically, the commentators barely had time for the Spanish based players, instead spending an hour talking about how Arshavin will have to adapt his game to the Premier league and cumming over Liverpool's Torres running about a lot and falling on his arse - Only for Guiza to replace him and score with virtually his first touch. Fabregas deserved their slaverings mind you.

Do The Dance

Torres is wasted with Spain. Far better player than their style of play allows. He should be the main man.

Thunderstruck

Whether or not he is World class, he deserves an honourable mention for finally putting the Huns to the sword in Manchester.

Hiddink, who knows a bit about football, suggested before the game he was short of fitness. It certainly looked like it tonight.

The ITV commentators, who know somewhat less about football, suggested he was the biggest let-down they had seen in a major championship. That would be the biggest let-down since Rooney and the rest of the England squad last graced a tournament.

Regular John

As nice as Villa and Torres look on paper together they don't combine all that well on the pitch.

It's probably a blessing in disguise for the Spaniards that Villa's done himself in and therefore possibly out the final.

portobellojambo1

Arshavin - Best player at Euro 08

Considering he only played three games, and was hopeless in tonight's one the answer has to be no.

Think there is a clear winner though, the Spanish midfielder Marcos Senna, from Villareal, has been absolutely superb.

The comparisons between Arshavin and Ronaldo are laughable.

Oh, I don't know. Both anonymous cometh the hour. :rolleyes:

I've only seen Spain twice this tournament, tonight and against the Italians. For me the Spanish look much better and more threatening when Fabregas plays. He is quality.

And the boy Senna sititng in the middle is fantastic too.

this_is_my_story

Serious question - have you ever seen Cruyff, Zidane, Pele and Maradona play?

Serious question - have you ever seen Cruyff, Zidane Pele and Maradona play?

Indeed he is :cool:

And Yes I have.

this_is_my_story
Indeed he is :cool:

And Yes I have.

Any chance you can see your dealer for me pal?:)

Buffalo Bill

Arshaven reminds me of Kinkladze. Great player if the team is built around him, but suited to a club that is willing to do that.

Best player of Euro 08 for me is Ballack.

Buffalo Bill

Cappuccino Kid

Have to agree with previous posters Senna has been the best player throughout the tournement.

...he'll be fantastic if the team's built around him, but maybe less so at a bigger club where he's expected to be a good player among a team of good players...

Arshaven reminds me of Kinkladze. Great player if the team is built around him, but suited to a club that is willing to do that.

Copycat. :D

Does no one think the whole Barca rumour may have been a deliberate ploy to mess with Arshavin's head before the big match against SPAIN?

One of the form players of the tournament, clearly the main threat to Spain and he never kicked a ball all night, his worst display by far at the Euros.

Plus when you consider that Barca already have the impressive Bojan, who is in a similar mould to Arshavin and ten years younger too.

Captain Canada

Arshavin has show in short bursts what a great talent he can be but not the best player in the tournament IMO. I've been very impressed with Lukas Podolski and Wesley Sneijder in particular.

Ronaldo not even in the same class as George Best. Never mind Pele or Maradonna.

Definitely "in the same class" as all three. Just because they're older doesn't mean that a "modern" player isn't allowed to be as good.

Bert Le Clos

He is clearly a good player, but I do think he has been slightly over-hyped. He's had 3 good games that I've heard of, two at Euro 2008 and one against Rangers.

It's not like he's a young player breaking onto the scene. He's 27 and the fact that he is still playing in Russia suggests he maybe can't produce this form regularly.

He has looked excellent, but he was completely anonymous last night when his side needed him most.

He is clearly a good player, but I do think he has been slightly over-hyped. He's had 3 good games that I've heard of, two at Euro 2008 and one against Rangers.

It's not like he's a young player breaking onto the scene. He's 27 and the fact that he is still playing in Russia suggests he maybe can't produce this form regularly.

He has looked excellent, but he was completely anonymous last night when his side needed him most.

That goes for the most of the russian team. Guys like Sychev could not cut it even in the French league. Probably wrong mentality, language barrier and lack of adaptation skills. I.E. the same way tha O'Connor could not adapt to Russia (it's basicly a big shait hole except a few cities so no surprise there).

Definitely "in the same class" as all three. Just because they're older doesn't mean that a "modern" player isn't allowed to be as good.
Yeah, Ronaldo has really dominated the biggest stages like all those 3. He has also totally outshined anything Zidane done in his pathetic career, Platini must have felt so envious watching Ronaldo eclipsing all his achievements in European championships. Whateva.

Ronaldo is an arrogant, cheating, greetin faced wee mummys boy who is long overdue a good beating. He's not even fit to lace the OAP Pele's boots.

Yeah, Ronaldo has really dominated the biggest stages like all those 3. He has also totally outshined anything Zidane done in his pathetic career, Platini must have felt so envious watching Ronaldo eclipsing all his achievements in European championships. Whateva.

Ronaldo is an arrogant, cheating, greetin faced wee mummys boy who is long overdue a good beating. He's not even fit to lace the OAP Pele's boots.

Fact. truly great players can win tournaments for their teams almost by themself like Zidane or Pele did. Ronaldo has not done so yet. Ofcourse he still has time.

But the rest of your post is a bit harsh.

Easy there, Maximus. I can't say I have much affection for Ronaldo; it's the "nobody will ever be as good as Best/Matthews/player from the '60s" attitude that gets me. I'm sure that Zidane and Platini had some poor games, by their standards.

Also, it's important to note that Ronaldo is 23. He's got a few years left in him yet.

p.s. "good beating" :rofl: Jealous much?

Ok when did Zidane ever score 40 goals in a season? I dont think he ever did. Ronaldo's only 23 ffs and pretty much unstoppable on his day. Who's to say when he's 28/29/30 he wont have won something with Portugal?

As for Arshavin, well i think Barcelona may decide rethink their offer!

Ok when did Zidane ever score 40 goals in a season? I dont think he ever did. Ronaldo's only 23 ffs and pretty much unstoppable on his day. Who's to say when he's 28/29/30 he wont have won something with Portugal?

90% sure that he would fail there. It's what russians do in Europe. Very few had any real succes. Only Aleinichev, Kancelskis and maybe Mostovoi or Shalimov spring to mind at the moment. Others have did ok but only those guys were playing for the best teams in europe and won important trophies. Also remember Salenko? He scored 6 goals in the World Cup 1994... and we all know what came from that.

When did he become a forward/winger? Zidane was immense for Real and France, he (arguably) lifted the French team to a Wrold cup final on 2 occasions. Ronaldo has too much of a tendancy to 'do an Arshavin' when the going get's tough. The fact is he has a really shoddy attitude and it shows on and off the pitch that's why I really can't stand the guy and think he will never compare to the legends of the game. Maradona was a cheat and nutcase but when he got on the pitch he gave everything and could take whatever the opposition threw at him and still score or create a goal. Ronaldo get's in a huff if someone ruffles his hairpiece.

Even though I hate Manure the way Ronaldo has acted over the summer has really summed up all that is wrong with the sport.

Arshavin has show in short bursts what a great talent he can be but not the best player in the tournament IMO. I've been very impressed with Lukas Podolski and Wesley Sneijder in particular.

Podolski always seems to do well in the tournaments. Once he goes back to Bayern Munich, I imagine that he'll remember that he's pish.

Definitely "in the same class" as all three.

If I remember rightly, you're about ages with me - maybe even a year or so younger. How can you claim to have any idea of whether or not he's "in the same class" as any of the three?

I personally don't know - all that I've seen of Pele, Best or Maradona is clips of their best bits, and anyone who's seen the Juanjo video on Youtube will know that those can be misleading - and also don't really care. What's important is that Ronaldo's one of the best in the world now.

Captain Canada

Podolski is far from p1sh. Look around the current Hearts squad and you'll see what true lack of quality really is.

Never saw the game last night due to work but heard Fabregas stole the show and Arshavin had an extremly poor game?

John Findlay

Get hold of Fifa's DVDs on the history of the world cup.

Study closely the competitions of 1958, 1962, 1966 and 1970.

Watch the group game very closely from 1966 of Portugal v Brazil at Goodison Park. Watch the treatment Pele takes from the Portuguese team. Christiano Ronaldo would have been begging to come off after the first bad tackle. Then watch the Portuguese player called Eusebio. Ronaldo still has some way to go before he even laces Eusebio's boots.

With all things nowadays over-hyped to the hilt.

In season 1986-87 Clive Allen scored 49 goals for Spurs. Clive Allen was not world class either.

John

Ibrahim Tall
That goes for the most of the russian team. Guys like Sychev could not cut it even in the French league. Probably wrong mentality, language barrier and lack of adaptation skills. I.E. the same way tha O'Connor could not adapt to Russia (it's basicly a big shait hole except a few cities so no surprise there).

Kerzhakov and Semak aswell.

As much as i like Arshavin as a player i can't see him doing much better tbh.

If Ronaldo does on to be half as good as Zidane he'll be very lucky. Zidane had the great knack of producing it when it really mattered. Also didn't have the illness Ronaldo has of being unable to stay on his feet.

I think the really great players seem to want to stay on their feet. Messi's a good example.

:4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72:

You really don't know what you're talking about. :wacko:

These guys reeled out brilliance consistently. Some of today's top players - like Ronaldo - can do it from time to time, but not at the same level or as frequently.

I've no axe to grind, but having seen them all - including Maradona live at Hampden taking the brown stuff out of Scotland - Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Beckenbauer etc are simply light years ahead.

Ronaldo and Co will be doing brilliantly if history even puts them on a par with "second tier greats" like Netzer, Jairzinho, Platini, Riva, Muller, etc.

Hate to say it, but I agree 100% with John Findlay. :eek:

Right, I'm off for a lie down.

Best player of Euro 08 for me is Ballack.

Buffalo Bill

Could not agree more. Hopefully he will finally get to lift that trophy. Personally feel the man deserves it more than anyone

Everytime fabregas has come on for spain he has created at least 1 or 2 goals definetly best sub if not best player

Cappuccino Kid

To paraphrase -Ronaldo's not fit to lace Best's drinks.

He has a long way to go to reach the standards of Pele, El Diego or Best.

I acknowledge his goal scoring this season but he never faced a Chopper Harris, Tommy Smith, Johnny Giles, Billy Bremner etc. on a weekly basis.

Let's see how many he scores in a truely competitive league when he goes to Madrid.

To paraphrase -Ronaldo's not fit to lace Best's drinks.

He has a long way to go to reach the standards of Pele, El Diego or Best.

I acknowledge his goal scoring this season but he never faced a Chopper Harris, Tommy Smith, Johnny Giles, Billy Bremner etc. on a weekly basis.

Let's see how many he scores in a truely competitive league when he goes to Madrid.

In all honesty Ronaldo's facing not only one player trying to kick him off the park but half a team most weeks. Most teams tend to double up on him now but it doesn't make any difference! The golden oldies argument is boring, why not accept that both (Best and Ronaldo) were/are great players? :sad:

Archived