• Created
  • Last Reply
Archie White

'It was the time to go for Rangers'

FT: Rangers 2-1 Hearts

5eef5a75-8d01-4e78-b36a-3687e3892241.jpg

Steven Thompson

Former Scotland striker on BBC Sportsound

"If you're playing Rangers today, after the week they've had, I'm putting out a really attacking team and going for it right from the first whistle.

"It looked like they'd set up to contain - it was the time to go for Rangers.

HE IS 100% SPOT ON

Greedy_Jambo
1 minute ago, Spencer said:

He won't make it 

Agreed. 

Levein must be saving Cochrane and Mcdonald for next week. That's the only reason i can come up with for leaving them both of the bench. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Archie White said:

'It was the time to go for Rangers'

FT: Rangers 2-1 Hearts

5eef5a75-8d01-4e78-b36a-3687e3892241.jpg

Steven Thompson

Former Scotland striker on BBC Sportsound

"If you're playing Rangers today, after the week they've had, I'm putting out a really attacking team and going for it right from the first whistle.

"It looked like they'd set up to contain - it was the time to go for Rangers.

HE IS 100% SPOT ON

Which is great in theory. Where are the players to do it?

Fort Vallance

Rangers fans bricking it after last week. Dreading their next game. Oh wait.... If there's anyone you want to play when your struggling !

12 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

£28 I paid today to see us play like that. 

I’m just fed up paying all this money to follow Hearts and be shortchanged every time I do. 

My only away game this season, Phil, and I got exactly what I knew I would. Fair play to the fans who travel regularly; must be brutal knowing you're spending all that cash for that dross. Repetitive, shitebag tactics that don't work. How many of these away days will it take before the penny drops with CL that his approach is a failure?

Never, would be my guess. He could sign Messi and Ronaldo to complete a world class xi and he'd still go with his tried and tested (and failed) tactics. 

Never known a football man to be so terrified of football. 

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, martoon said:

My only away game this season, Phil, and I got exactly what I knew I would. Fair play to the fans who travel regularly; must be brutal knowing you're spending all that cash for that dross. Repetitive, shitebag tactics that don't work. How many of these away days will it take before the penny drops with CL that his approach is a failure?

Never, would be my guess. He could sign Messi and Ronaldo to complete a world class xi and he'd still go with his tried and tested (and failed) tactics. 

Never known a football man to be so terrified of football. 

None. He won’t change. He’s had 14 years to re-evaluate his approach to away games. 

Greedy_Jambo
4 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Fair enough, but also at 2-1/0 Rangers also dropped  back and allowed us to come on to them, we also got a lift from the goal.

This thing we seem to have on here atm is all about us, if we attack we win, if we defend  we lose is  just far too basic for me, far more  factors are at play.

Rangers went all out, they are at home, having came of a heavy defeat, they also  have something to play for. in the end we were 4 inches from a 2-2 at Ibrox.

I do  think we play to tentative sometimes, but when players can't seem to control the ball, run or make a simple pass then it's not hard to work  out why we are a bit cautious.

We need to improve next season, It will go hand in hand with getting new players.

I like Levein and he will always have a place at Hearts in my eyes. 

BUT he won't have anywhere to hide after the summer window. He's got the "it's not his team" excuse just now but that's all he's got left. 

I hope he brings in the players he needs but if we don't improve dramatically and start having a go at teams away from home.... He's done for. 

Archie White
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The players are there - it's the management approach that is at issue here. Kilmarnock pre and post Clarke is a classic example of a Manager's influence on team approach.

Adam_the_legend
21 minutes ago, Gambo said:

What have you seen that makes you think next season will be different?

Nothing to lose today and we still play the same way.

I have seen the players we have gone for since Levein took over as Manager, Naismith, Adao, Mitchell...et al. Ambitious targets. We clearly need more but I’m hopeful come August we’ll have decent quality. 

If we are still playing super conservative even with improved players then I’ll join the Levein out brigade. After what happened when neilson left, people should be careful what they wish for, the grass isn’t always greener!

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

None. He won’t change. He’s had 14 years to re-evaluate his approach to away games. 

Weird. His away record during his time at Tannadice was pretty good.

47 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

We are a team that looks unfit and has zero pace.

Most sensible post in about 200 ? , how much the lack of pace is due to the fitness is a worry though. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

The players are there - it's the management approach that is at issue here. Kilmarnock pre and post Clarke is a classic example of a Manager's influence on team approach.

Are they? We lack pace, we lack creativity and we lack strength in depth, IMO. If we had the players, why would we be saying we needed nine in the close season?

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Weird. His away record during his time at Tannadice was pretty good.

I couldn’t care less what he did for Dundee United. I’m a Hearts supporter. 

9 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Rangers have lost 7 times at Ibrox this season including Hamilton and St Johnstone.  Thankfully other clubs and managers don't subscribe and conform to "natural order" 

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yes, really

Not really Geoff, we started slow, progressed to poor and slow, and finished off by being boring and crap.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Spencer said:

Rangers have lost 7 times at Ibrox this season including Hamilton and St Johnstone.  Thankfully other clubs and managers don't subscribe and conform to "natural order" 

Yes Spencer. That doesn't mean the point isn't valid. We lack matchwinners, creative players prepared to take an opponent on.

old school tie

We need another Budgement day with Levein first out the door.

The guy is a loser and a charlatan.

17 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Absolutely bollox

Absolutely spot on, as I called it. Shat the bed today, again. That will be the only 3 points rangers pick up this split. 

45 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Agree - and on the coaches too. I don't understand what they're doing there. And that's not a dig: it's more like "MacPhee was brought in under someone with the 100% opposite approach to football - so how does it make sense that he's now working under Mr Ultra-Conservative?"

But of course, nothing will happen. So on to next season we shall stumble.

I know we lost and it's been a shit day an all but I'm so bored of that bloody line

"what do the coaches even do"

Did anyone ask what Locke, Cruz & Cabral did under Paulo Sergio?

Just need to get the new players in who will flourish under that coaching (hopefully)

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Are they? We lack pace, we lack creativity and we lack strength in depth, IMO. If we had the players, why would we be saying we needed nine in the close season?

The gameplan was working til the goal. I wouldnt say we were ok til the goal though. Two very different things.

Our nucleus is good but we have no midfield , Adao makes it look better but losing Djoum was huge to the rest of the season. Amankwaa looked like a passenger today , Godinho had a poor game , we struggled without a LB/LWB thats why Candeis was free for the second , first one im not convinced a LB would of helped to stop it but may have at least not given Cummings an easy chance. 

Archie White
7 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We lack a Manager with positive thinking which CAN make up for player deficiencies. Performing well is almost 100% confidence.

12 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yes Spencer. That doesn't mean the point isn't valid. We lack matchwinners, creative players prepared to take an opponent on.

Perhaps you should focus on who has had the final say on all football matters over the last 4 years 

Craig Levein is a most reluctant manager of Hearts at this time. The fact he is illustrates that first team matters under DoF tenure have not gone well. 

The club ****ed about during August and procrastinated much that they lost any opportunity to recruit meaningfully in that window. Why did Budge allow that to happen? Did the delay until the light bulb moment when it became apparent the messiah was already in their midst act a convenient excuse not to recruit after the Cathro debacle. Probably no money to do so hence no signings (bar 2 not involved today) and a most likely cost saving due to Levein now performing a dual role 

It's a complete ****ing shambles and punters are now drifting away 

Geoff Kilpatrick

We lack a Manager with positive thinking which CAN make up for player deficiencies. Performing well is almost 100% confidence.

Sound. You'd be happy with this squad next season then provided Levein was gone?

2 minutes ago, Archie White said:

I assume you’ve played football at a high level to state that so categorically? Confidence is one thing and tactics can paper over cracks but the first things you lose when your unfit in a game is your touch , awareness , passing etc. No manager can paper over those cracks for 11 players every single week. We also have no midfield aside from Adao at the moment. Its a bug huge gap. Goals start from transition phases a lot of the time (Adao against Thistle a prime example). We seriously lack this part of the game

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Perhaps you should focus on who has had the final say on all football matters over the last 4 years 

Craig Levein is a most reluctant manager of Hearts at this time. The fact he is illustrates that first team matters under DoF tenure have not gone well. 

The club ****ed about during August and pontificated so much that they lost any opportunity to recruit meaningfully in that window. Why did Budge allow that to happen? Did the delay until the light bulb moment when it became apparent the messiah was already in their midst act a convenient excuse not to recruit after the Cathro debacle. Probably no money to do so hence no signings (bar 2 not involved today) and a most likely cost saving due to Levein now performing a dual role 

It's a complete ****ing shambles and punters are now drifting away 

Yes Spencer. Levein has had the final say. We all know that.

I will explain why I'm not calling for his head. We need some ****ing stability, not constant "bloodshed" to satisfy the pitchfork brigade. He has a track record of delivering us results in the past and for me, Top 3 is a minimum next season. Any sign of him getting nowhere near that and he should be gone.

Archie White

Sound. You'd be happy with this squad next season then provided Levein was gone?

Yep. Stevie Clarke would change the complete mind set at the club I can assure you. Currently we are a club with safety first in mind which is a negative approach. Positive psychology is vital in team games and we have negativity in spades. Just look at Amankwaa - the poor chap is like a rabbit in headlights every time the  ball comes near him. He has zero confidence.

Maroon Sailor

Anybody going up to Aberdeen will be going just for the sake of going.

That applies for the players and staff as well

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Archie White said:

Yep. Stevie Clarke would change the complete mind set at the club I can assure you. Currently we are a club with safety first in mind which is a negative approach. Positive psychology is vital in team games and we have negativity in spades. Just look at Amankwaa - the poor chap is like a rabbit in headlights every time the  ball comes near him. He has zero confidence.

Wow! In that case, let's give Levein the window then and he either turns things round with his new players or he screws up, in which case Mr P Mindset will save us.

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yes Spencer. Levein has had the final say. We all know that.

I will explain why I'm not calling for his head. We need some ****ing stability, not constant "bloodshed" to satisfy the pitchfork brigade. He has a track record of delivering us results in the past and for me, Top 3 is a minimum next season. Any sign of him getting nowhere near that and he should be gone.

There is absolutely no chance we will be top 3 next season. Budge will set a top 4 target again and for the 3rd successive season it will be missed. That will be hard for her to justify but sadly not impossible 

She will set top 4 as target despite being 3rd best supported club in league 

High expectations 

Chill guys, we never contained the new no.10 for rangers(adao) once we can get that positioned covered?  Onwards and upwards

FTH

Just now, Archie White said:

1. we have to try and play a way that suits the fact were blowing out our asses in 5mins (mentally) 

2. If you think Kilmarnock are positive in their play you have most definately not watched them this season. Hibs have a positivity to their play , Kilmarnock do not. Kilmarnock are fit well drilled balanced and have a bit of creativity that is it. They are about as attritional as we are. 

Archie White

Wow! In that case, let's give Levein the window then and he either turns things round with his new players or he screws up, in which case Mr P Mindset will save us.

Excellent idea. I'm glad we are in agreement :pleased:

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Spencer said:

There is absolutely no chance we will be top 3 next season. Budge will set a top 4 target again and for the 3rd successive season it will be missed. That will be hard for hard to justify but sadly not impossible 

She will set top 4 as target despite being 3rd best supported club in league 

High expectations 

If she does, she does. I was stating MY expectations and if he doesn't meet them, I'll happily join you.

35 minutes ago, Greedy_Jambo said:

Agreed. 

Levein must be saving Cochrane and Mcdonald for next week. That's the only reason i can come up with for leaving them both of the bench. 

Why? We have nowt to lose - we should have gone for it

Archie White
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

1. we have to try and play a way that suits the fact were blowing out our asses in 5mins (mentally) 

2. If you think Kilmarnock are positive in their play you have most definately not watched them this season. Hibs have a positivity to their play , Kilmarnock do not. Kilmarnock are fit well drilled balanced and have a bit of creativity that is it. They are about as attritional as we are. 

Sorry I cannot agree with you. It is a well known fact that if the league started when Clarke took over his team would be 2nd to Celtic. Kilmarnock go out with a mindset to win. Positive thinking. That makes up for many deficiencies. 

31 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

I have seen the players we have gone for since Levein took over as Manager, Naismith, Adao, Mitchell...et al. Ambitious targets. We clearly need more but I’m hopeful come August we’ll have decent quality. 

If we are still playing super conservative even with improved players then I’ll join the Levein out brigade. After what happened when neilson left, people should be careful what they wish for, the grass isn’t always greener!

We have just signed a 35 year old wo can't run (CLs words) not looking like we willm crawl out of the 1980s...

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, jambali said:

We have just signed a 35 year old wo can't run (CLs words) not looking like we willm crawl out of the 1980s...

And if we were only planning on bringing in 1 or 2 players I’d be worried, but we’re not, so I’m not

13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Anybody going up to Aberdeen will be going just for the sake of going.

That applies for the players and staff as well

I have my season for next year, but that's it for me this. I have better things to do than watch that crap.

It really says it all when they have banners complaining about how incompetent their team and management are and they outplay and outthink us.

We need major change

It should have been ten
44 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Rangers fans bricking it after last week. Dreading their next game. Oh wait.... If there's anyone you want to play when your struggling !

This!!

4 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

And if we were only planning on bringing in 1 or 2 players I’d be worried, but we’re not, so I’m not

Well it should, because it tells you we will not be playing 21st centuary football.

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, jambali said:

Well it should, because it tells you we will not be playing 21st centuary football.

How so???

12 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

How so???

Because modern football includes the full pitch press. When we have used it it has proved effective. Unfortunately, our coaching staff (CL & AM don't think you can use it against poor teams) If our front men can't run they will not chase down people in our opponents third. Does that clarify?

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Footballers usually know when their opponents are scared. No excuse whatever for us to have been in that role today; it could and should have been the opposite. It stems from the manager. His mentality is a disgrace.

Very true.

All roads lead to Gorgie

If there was ever a day to have a proper go at sevco it was today and once again Levein shits his pants! 

26 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

29 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

You should be as Levein is gambling with his signings. We don't want to go through another season like this one or the one before. We don't want players signed that are useless and we are stuck with them on 2-3 year contracts. We need players that i'm afraid Levein might not get the best out of because his tactics are boring and at times clueless.

Archived