Scotland v. Costa Rica

Fitzroy Pointon

Just now, Dannie Boy said:

If we had a decent centre forward we might have scored. There's been some decent balls played accross box.

Central defence and centre forward remain the issues for me. We have some quality young guys with physical strength and pace out wide in Robertson, Tierney and Paterson and a number of pretty decent footballers in midfield, some who need further opportunities moving forward. But at the back and up front we still look short and when it comes to the competitive matches it will likely let us down again. 

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cruyff Turn

2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Any positives that anyone can take from tonight?

Scotland losing means McLeish is slightly closer to getting sacked. Another humping by Hungary and things are looking really promising.

8 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

This is so ****ing dull I'm seriously thinking about striking up a conversation with the wife. 

Nowts that bad.

..... but then again .......

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, Hendricks said:

Central defence and centre forward remain the issues for me. We have some quality young guys with physical strength and pace out wide in Robertson, Tierney and Paterson and a number of pretty decent footballers in midfield, some who need further opportunities moving forward. But at the back and up front we still look short and when it comes to the competitive matches it will likely let us down again. 

Philips has looked decent since he came on.

All poor teams have a stand out individual who can drag them through a tournament, Portugal have Ronnie, Wales have Bale, we have McGinn, you know the kind I'm talking about  :illogical:

Ricardo Shillyshally

Can we play you every week, sing the large Costa Rican support to the largely reeking home support

...a bit disco

I'm going to sign up with the Hearts over 50s walking football.

Should have a chance of an International cap by the time qualifying begins for the Euros.

1 minute ago, Turkishcap said:

Came on for the score no feelings at all.

I,d blame the Russian Vodka myself

::troll::

MacDonald Jardine
3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Berra would make a big difference, as may Souttar in time.

I have no idea where goals are going to come from though. 

2 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Philips has looked decent since he came on.

Agreed as has Armstrong. We have some good players and a lot of them are not even close to their prime. Thats encouraging. Unfortunately we are still short in pretty critical areas and regardless of who is in the dugout that is going to remain a big problem.

We're now being treated to "Scotland Scotland" from the massed bairns that the SFA gave free tickets to. Sounds like the background noise you would expect at a junior international hockey match. Embarrassing!

Maybe the Scotland football team is God's plan to make the England cricket team feel better.

skinnybob72

Thought the kids had put the Goonies DVD on when I nipped out the room but it turns out it's just John McGinn. 

9 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Thanks for that reminder.....who could ever forget

Indirectly led on to this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/scotland/5099853/Barry-Ferguson-and-Allan-McGregor-banned-for-life-from-playing-for-Scotland.html

Barry Ferguson was raging Iwelumo came on and not Kris Boyd. Part of the old firm anti Burley group. 

...a bit disco
5 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Came on for the score no feelings at all.

manaliveits105

Banjo has found a man once lost the ball by sticking his arse out committed 2 fouls and just ruined a good move with an awful cross to the terracing but Provan describes his display as typically energetic - naw just shit

Ricardo Shillyshally

As Barry Ferguson suggested at half time, McGregor and Murphy have fairly turned ten game

glynnlondon
13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You sure he’s not just pissed?

He'd want to be watching this

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

I'm never drinking their coffee again. It's Starbucks for me from now on.

2 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

The thumb

Sadly the  Scottish team is worse than Scottish club sides. It is woefully poor - but if you look at the leadership (woeful) in the SFA then it’s their shadow that is cast and permeates to all levels! 

Just now, MacDonald Jardine said:

I would certainly have Berra in the side in terms of his defensive abilities. I don't think he's the best passer of the ball which obviously has its draw backs at this level (not that the other options are much better in that regard). I still think he is highly likely to be involved. Souttra is still miles off this level in my opinion though clearly he has potential. He is thought well of evidenced by him captaining the U21's (to a truly dismal 1-1 draw with Andorra) earlier today but concentration wise and physically he's not a full international footballer yet. I think he would get badly bullied by good strikers. 

Agree about the goals and just hope with our full team playing the midfield and the likes of Paterson and Robertson's attacking threat we can find them from somewhere. 

England take another predictable step to World Cup disappointment.

Comfortably beat Holland 1-0 their first win in 8 games against them they just said. 

Any decent players on show that Craig can get in the summer to turn us into the world beaters we all crave ?

TyphoonJambo

MacLeish applauds the masses, condescending twat.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Indirectly led on to this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/scotland/5099853/Barry-Ferguson-and-Allan-McGregor-banned-for-life-from-playing-for-Scotland.html

Barry Ferguson was raging Iwelumo came on and not Kris Boyd. Part of the old firm anti Burley group. 

Given Boyd is still scoring now they probably had a fair point!  How Iwelumo ever pulled on a Scotland shirt will forever remain a mystery. 

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

Well that was complete effin toley. 

Jobbies even.

3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

I would certainly have Berra in the side in terms of his defensive abilities. I don't think he's the best passer of the ball which obviously has its draw backs at this level (not that the other options are much better in that regard). I still think he is highly likely to be involved. Souttra is still miles off this level in my opinion though clearly he has potential. He is thought well of evidenced by him captaining the U21's (to a truly dismal 1-1 draw with Andorra) earlier today but concentration wise and physically he's not a full international footballer yet. I think he would get badly bullied by good strikers. 

Agree about the goals and just hope with our full team playing the midfield and the likes of Paterson and Robertson's attacking threat we can find them from somewhere. 

He's no over the hill yet!:laugh:

The worst thing by far about all this was being reminded of that dreadful 1990 World Cup defeat.

This performance was fairly predictable. It will take time. 

But they should watch the U18s game later. Show them how to get stuck in. 

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Absoutely honking performance and result.  Expected nothing less with McLeish, however.

I would also expect nothing less given the state the team has been in for the last 20 years. Add to that this must be one of the weakest pools of players to chose from in that time.

3 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Looking good for WC 2130 on Mars after that. 

We’ll probably get humped by Mercury in the playoff.

TyphoonJambo

I reckon that if I put a pound away every week until Scotland participate in a World Cup finals competition I should have enough to book a precedential suite, full of top class hookers, champagne fountains, a buffet of panda chips and unicorn fillet.

McLeish will go home and pull one off after that. Complete welt who’s squad selection (never mind starting 11)  was absolutely honking. He’s typical SFA.

maroon glasses off , the fact he never picked the best centre half this season told me everything I needed to know.

berra should of been first pick. However, our gain

5 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Jobbies even.

Explains the Billy Bowie hoardings.

MacDonald Jardine
8 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

The thumb

Possibly. He's  the closest we have to a decent striker at this level.

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

McLeish will go home and pull one off after that. Complete welt who’s squad selection (never mind starting 11)  was absolutely honking. He’s typical SFA.

maroon glasses off , the fact he never picked the best centre half this season told me everything I needed to know.

berra should of been first pick. However, our gain

I'm not sure what most of this means.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Hayley’s got the chebs out though

Need pics of this lass.

Well, that was about as good a result as I expected after seeing the team.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d be happy to lose a bunch of friendly games if it meant giving youth a chance and putting together a new team. The trouble is that by not picking Berra (clearly the best option at CH right now) and starting Hanley, McLeish has demonstrated he is a total cretin.

Archived