Scotland v. Costa Rica

Fitzroy Pointon

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The seethe is strong here. Who do you hate most? Levein, Hearts or our fans?

All 3 I’d say

manaliveits105

Banjo did absolutely nothing to justify his inclusion in the squad never mind the team - he is not international class and referee quickly spotted his arse barging in his short time on the pitch

38 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I reckon if Berti and Levein given more time would have turned things round. They wanted to change things from youth up and this needed two to three campaigns but they got hounded out. 

Mcelish and smith actually reaped the rewards from Berti's good work. 

Definitely this.

It was plain to see what Berti was trying to do. Maybe it scared the blazers a little too much.

27 minutes ago, Sraman said:

Definitely this.

It was plain to see what Berti was trying to do. Maybe it scared the blazers a little too much.

Berti got us to the play-offs so respect is due.  We haven't been close since despite last campaign having the easiest qualifying group in a long time.

51 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

How many freebies were in that 

I think they were selling "season ticket" packages so some fans were committed to going regardless.

I bought one once and didn't bother going back once campaign was a bust.

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The seethe is strong here. Who do you hate most? Levein, Hearts or our fans?

I was thinking the answer is “life”.

No idea why i even bother to reply to him at times. Im sure if I lived in New York i could find better things to do than spend 24hours online having a go at everything about the club I support.

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, Hendricks said:

:laugh: wait, you are serious. ****ing hilarious. And you aren’t stupid like some of them either. Incredible hypocrisy. It’s difficult to comprehend how ridiculous that comment is given your defence of Craig Levein. 

Thread title ''Scotland V Costa Rica''

Hendricks... Bangs on about Levein.

FFS. 

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Spot on. 100%

the only thing that would stick in the throat would be that prick would get a payout for being a useless Judas wank

Sad isnt it... Can you imagine any of us 20years ago saying this? Yet thats the apathy we feel toward the Scotland team and Scottish football authorities. There is an abject failure at the SFA to look beyond their own agenda for the benefit of Scottish football on a world stage. 

The team last night was not one aimed at progression but satisfying a fan base. Forward thinking as I said would of been something like Berra or Mulgrew next to McKenna or Souttar. The youngsters may not be ready for big internationals but there would be positives to take out the friendly.

To be fair to Hendricks, I understand what he’s saying.

People who jump to a staunch defence of Hearts whenever criticised are now criticising Scotland themselves for pretty much the same thing.

Maybe our players are nowhere as good as some think and the Manager can only piddle with pecker he has

4 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

To be fair to Hendricks, I understand what he’s saying.

People who jump to a staunch defence of Hearts whenever criticised are now criticising Scotland themselves for pretty much the same thing.

I never found comparing club sides to international sides helpful. 

It's a different dynamic. Scotland can look at who qualifies but can't otherwise sign new players.  McLeish gets 4 games over a 3 month period and is meant to suddenly transfer us into a good team. Club managers get at least 2 transfer windows. And more games. International players drop out through injury. Etc etc. 

1 minute ago, jambo1961 said:

Maybe our players are nowhere as good as some think and the Manager can only piddle with pecker he has

Which is the situation

He mainly has to decide on a main way to play with some variation. And pick the right team. 

Otherwise it's very much up to the players. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

I never found comparing club sides to international sides helpful. 

It's a different dynamic. Scotland can look at who qualifies but can't otherwise sign new players.  McLeish gets 4 games over a 3 month period and is meant to suddenly transfer us into a good team. Club managers get at least 2 transfer windows. And more games. International players drop out through injury. Etc etc. 

He had enough subs at hand  last night  to cater for a few windows

Fitzroy Pointon

Hate to say it but we looked decent with a core of Celtic players in the team last campaign. Tierney, Armstrong, Mcgregor, Forest and Griffiths. 

Nookie Bear
9 hours ago, sadj said:

The apathu as regards Scotland hasnt built up in 3 years. Its been 20years with no progression , no sign of sorting it out. Off the field Scotland are a joke. Hearts are very much progressive off the pitch. We are building for the future , what are Scotland doing? 

What are Hearts soon off the pitch that makes them very much “progressive”. It’s all very much positive, and laying good foundations for the future, but is it progressive (compared to our peers)?

Most Scottish clubs are very much focussed on youth right now and the national team SHOULD reap the benefit in the long term. The problem is that too many promising players chase the English pound too early and lose vital game time between the ages of 18-22. 

chester copperpot
12 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Hate to say it but we looked decent with a core of Celtic players in the team last campaign. Tierney, Armstrong, Mcgregor, Forest and Griffiths. 

Totally agree.

Most good international sides  (apart from maybe South American) tend to have a core of best national team players in their team.

18 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

What are Hearts soon off the pitch that makes them very much “progressive”. It’s all very much positive, and laying good foundations for the future, but is it progressive (compared to our peers)?

Most Scottish clubs are very much focussed on youth right now and the national team SHOULD reap the benefit in the long term. The problem is that too many promising players chase the English pound too early and lose vital game time between the ages of 18-22. 

I mean in general terms we are progressive with not only our youth focus but our infrastructure at the club. Theres a fundamental failure at the SFA to change in order to improve. 

Yes a lot of players do chase the english £ too early. That isnt a club issue thats a national issue and goes back to the SFAs table and how they have been stagnant for 20years. We will be lucky to come out of the backwater we have put ourselves in as long as we have the SFA as is and a system designed to benefit two clubs at the expense of others. 

Again going back to the team last night. Mackays team against Holland was better than that. Thats a worrying criticism to lay at McLeishs feet one game in but its true.

Scotland U17s knocked out of qualifying tournament this morning after 2 defeats. First time in a while U17s have failed to qualify for Euro finals. Same will probably happen to U19s later today. U21s drew with Andorra yesterday. 

As others gave said I think other countries are improving more. 

Maybe a bit longer to wait for new breed of youngsters. 

To be fair I don't think you should read too much into results at youth level. But its not good reading. 

sairyinthat
6 hours ago, Hendricks said:

So so so delusional. Hearts aren’t in the least bit “progressive” though I know you’ve been told to believe that and have fallen for it. Hearts are the absolute perfect example why Scottish football is shite and we have the epitome of Scottish football failure in charge of everything football!! It’s truly amazing we have people like you slaughtering Scotland tonight and at the same time defending the managerial career of Levein who was a miles worse Scotland manager than McLeish and has achieved way less in every aspect of his footballing life both as player and manager! There is not even anything you could say that would justify the ridiculous stance and that would make an ounce of sense. That isn’t to say I think McLeish is the right choice for Scotland or will bring us success but this thread is the perfect example as to the cluelessness of individuals who believe anything they are told by those in charge of our club. You are like lemmings and the irony and total hypocrisy in this thread is phenomenal. 

Seek help FFS.

22games nro
15 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Thought the kids had put the Goonies DVD on when I nipped out the room but it turns out it's just John McGinn. 

Ahh, I see

D825B0CD-A6E3-4D4A-8CF8-692B47F179D9.jpeg

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Hendricks said:

So so so delusional. Hearts aren’t in the least bit “progressive” though I know you’ve been told to believe that and have fallen for it. Hearts are the absolute perfect example why Scottish football is shite and we have the epitome of Scottish football failure in charge of everything football!! It’s truly amazing we have people like you slaughtering Scotland tonight and at the same time defending the managerial career of Levein who was a miles worse Scotland manager than McLeish and has achieved way less in every aspect of his footballing life both as player and manager! There is not even anything you could say that would justify the ridiculous stance and that would make an ounce of sense. That isn’t to say I think McLeish is the right choice for Scotland or will bring us success but this thread is the perfect example as to the cluelessness of individuals who believe anything they are told by those in charge of our club. You are like lemmings and the irony and total hypocrisy in this thread is phenomenal. 

Absolute  mince. 

Very well thought out and articulate- but absolutely mince.

You seem to be on a crusade to prove a point  about Craig and in doing so seem to have lost the plot -completely.

2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Absolute  mince. 

Very well thought out and articulate- but absolutely mince.

You seem to be on a crusade to prove a point  about Craig and in doing so seem to have lost the plot -completely.

Agreed apart from the "Very well thought out" bit.

Half of the Scotland team were in the cafe of my gym this morning, and after a performance like last night's you'd expect a muted atmosphere. 

Not a bit of it though, these arseholes were laughing and bantering away about the game as though they'd skooshed it. 

Could you imagine the likes of Souness putting up with that back in the day?! 

10 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Half of the Scotland team were in the cafe of my gym this morning, and after a performance like last night's you'd expect a muted atmosphere. 

Not a bit of it though, these arseholes were laughing and bantering away about the game as though they'd skooshed it. 

It was a friendly ffs, should they all be walking about with their faces tripping them?

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

It was a friendly. 

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, jambo1961 said:

Excellent squad IMO. Get a decent group, avoiding the big names, and we should qualify

49 minutes ago, graygo said:

It was a friendly ffs, should they all be walking about with their faces tripping them?

Believe me, if you'd seem Charlie feckin' Mulgrew swanning about like he was Messi, you'd have been raging too! 

Rocco_Jambo
6 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I reckon if Berti and Levein given more time would have turned things round. They wanted to change things from youth up and this needed two to three campaigns but they got hounded out. 

Mcelish and smith actually reaped the rewards from Berti's good work. 

Yeah Berti seems to be considered as a terrible manager by some including the press when the reality is he was one of the better managers we had results wise since Brown went.

Berti got in to the qualifiers for the Euros in his first campaign, beat a Netherlands side. who went on to the semi finals in the first leg then got well beaten in the second leg. His next campaign was terrible and he got sacked when all chance of qualification looked gone.

Compared with Strachan on the other hand who got no where near qualifying for the euros in his first campaign even though it there was the largest amount of qualification spots ever in the tournament, did terrible in his next campaign but when all chance of qualification was gone never got sacked and when he had nothing to lose turned things around and had a good second half campaign by doing things he should have been doing anyway.

Most folk realising we should have kept Strachan and a large Celtic core yet? 

If not, ill pop back in a years time when we already cant qualify and McLeish has dished up some absolute ****ing howling games. 

Even Costa Rica have a top european player. Their team is one star, a few very good and the rest is mediocre,  yet they looked light years ahead of us in skill and passion. 

Scotland are ****ing drivel and you deserve all you get supporting that guff. 

SpruceBringsteen

I see we're starting the "it's better eat one handful of worm filled dugshite rather than two" narrative.

:lol:

I just don't see the point of players like mcgregor and martin making these friendly squads, we should be looking to get the new generation playing together through the next campaign to prepare them for the one after, I would have more respect for McLeish if we played games such as this with a team like:

____________________Archer 

__________Souttar__McKenna__Tierney 

Paterson__McTominay__McGinn__Robertson

_________Burke__Cummings__Fraser

All of those players will be under 30 at the next World Cup in four years, now I know some of them will regress and some new players will emerge in that time but there's still a lot more value in putting them in at this age for friendlies than there would be picking players who won't be up to it in a couple of years, now obviously when the next euro qualifiers come around we should still be using players like Mulgrew, Griffiths etc. But we should be doing a better job of bleeding the new generation into the set up, it's a talented group imo and not one that should go to waste

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

I just don't see the point of players like mcgregor and martin making these friendly squads, we should be looking to get the new generation playing together through the next campaign to prepare them for the one after, I would have more respect for McLeish if we played games such as this with a team like:

All of those players will be under 30 at the next World Cup in four years, now I know some of them will regress and some new players will emerge in that time but there's still a lot more value in putting them in at this age for friendlies than there would be picking players who won't be up to it in a couple of years, now obviously when the next euro qualifiers come around we should still be using players like Mulgrew, Griffiths etc. But we should be doing a better job of bleeding the new generation into the set up, it's a talented group imo and not one that should go to waste

That teams miles more entertaining and forward thinking than the crap put out last night. 

I'm genuinely baffled with McLeish's first squad and game. Total shite. 

letsalldothebeattie
22 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

That team looks good and looks like it would be entertaining to watch but let’s be honest we won’t see that team anytime soon if at all

Rocco_Jambo
59 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Most folk realising we should have kept Strachan and a large Celtic core yet? 

If not, ill pop back in a years time when we already cant qualify and McLeish has dished up some absolute ****ing howling games. 

Even Costa Rica have a top european player. Their team is one star, a few very good and the rest is mediocre,  yet they looked light years ahead of us in skill and passion. 

Scotland are ****ing drivel and you deserve all you get supporting that guff. 

No. It was a terrible decision to appoint McLeish but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision to get rid of Strachan.

11 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

No. It was a terrible decision to appoint McLeish but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision to get rid of Strachan.

Strachans team was actually coming onto a game....we were looking alright and scoring goals. 

Good luck finding someone to replicate that. 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Craig_ said:

We play Hungary on Tuesday, it's pretty much their job to be up for it and confident, to put the last defeat behind them. 

Cruyff Turn

McLeish shouldn't have been near the Scotland job. If we were down to a choice of a half cut geriatric dinosaur like Craig Brown or Alex McLeish, Craig Brown should get the nod.

1) Alex McLeish was complicit in cheating at the club firmly known as Rangers by taking EBTs and knowing players were being paid outwith their official contract to play for Rangers. For years, Rangers won trophies and cups earning money at other clubs expense, while defrauding football supporters who believed they were paying to watch the game on an even-ish playing field. 

2) He walked out on Scotland for a third rate football club, a club that Isn't even the 4 th biggest club in the Birmingham area.That alone should have been enough for the SFA to throw his CV into the shredder. 

3) He failed to qualify in his previous stint.

4) He's failed at almost every club he has been at since he walked out on Scotland first time around.

But we're talking about one of the most corrupt, inept and incompetent, if not the most corrupt, inept, incompetent football association in the world.

The man is a fecking disgrace, he has no shame and no class. 

Re above team it raises the issue of what we should be aiming for. 

4 years time get to Qatar. Rather than more short term. 

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Re above team it raises the issue of what we should be aiming for. 

4 years time get to Qatar. Rather than more short term. 

Would love to see us at another World Cup of course, however it’s achieved and wherever it’s played but would be a bit of a nightmare for the generations who have  lived through this qualification famine if the first one we do make is the one hosted in Qatar! A lot more difficult to get to and will be very expensive once there. Those of us fortunate enough to have been in France in 98 know just how amazing being at a WC is and I’d love to see the younger fans get the opportunity to experience it.

49 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

McLeish shouldn't have been near the Scotland job. If we were down to a choice of a half cut geriatric dinosaur like Craig Brown or Alex McLeish, Craig Brown should get the nod.

1) Alex McLeish was complicit in cheating at the club firmly known as Rangers by taking EBTs and knowing players were being paid outwith their official contract to play for Rangers. For years, Rangers won trophies and cups earning money at other clubs expense, while defrauding football supporters who believed they were paying to watch the game on an even-ish playing field. 

2) He walked out on Scotland for a third rate football club, a club that Isn't even the 4 th biggest club in the Birmingham area.That alone should have been enough for the SFA to throw his CV into the shredder. 

3) He failed to qualify in his previous stint.

4) He's failed at almost every club he has been at since he walked out on Scotland first time around.

But we're talking about one of the most corrupt, inept and incompetent, if not the most corrupt, inept, incompetent football association in the world.

The man is a fecking disgrace, he has no shame and no class. 

Very difficult to disagree with this post. I concur with all of this. The problem isn’t the manager though. It’s the corrupt, west coast mafia that are ruining our game from top to bottom. They’re worse than the Teflon Don! 

13 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Last 2 posters truly tedious.

Really Doug? Because I have a different opinion to Hendricks and I choose to believe that whatever those opinions a Scotland v Costa Rica thread is not the place for his tedious monotonous rants towards Levein and the club I love?

Rocco_Jambo
1 hour ago, The Brow said:

Strachans team was actually coming onto a game....we were looking alright and scoring goals. 

Good luck finding someone to replicate that. 

He was coming on to a game because he'd pretty much blew any chance of us qualifying for a second campaign in a row. With nothing to lose he actually made the changes it was blatantly obvious he should have been making years before and low and behold performances began to prove. He no doubt would have went back to type and failed for a 3rd campaign in a row.

8 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

He was coming on to a game because he'd pretty much blew any chance of us qualifying for a second campaign in a row. With nothing to lose he actually made the changes it was blatantly obvious he should have been making years before and low and behold performances began to prove. He no doubt would have went back to type and failed for a 3rd campaign in a row.

Fact. He brought in Griffiths and Berra and we magically improved! If he’d been picking them for three years like he should have we’d have made the euros and maybe the wc too. Prick.

Some people on here will rightly be offended that many of us on here are mocking our national team, and not for the first time.  They will consider it to be unpatriotic.  That's made me wonder what our old firm obsessed authorities think of it all.

Shrug their shoulders I suppose.

There is no way that Hendry had played better in the two games for Celtic than he did for Dundee. It sums it up for me. They don't make it easy for fans to get behind them.  A bunch of full metal jaikeys run our national team.  It does feels like SFAFC rather than the national side.  Is it because they're skint that McLeish got the job?  

Cruyff Turn
2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Very difficult to disagree with this post. I concur with all of this. The problem isn’t the manager though. It’s the corrupt, west coast mafia that are ruining our game from top to bottom. They’re worse than the Teflon Don! 

Very true. Until there is some kind of coup.d'etat it will never change.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Some people on here will rightly be offended that many of us on here are mocking our national team, and not for the first time.  They will consider it to be unpatriotic.  That's made me wonder what our old firm obsessed authorities think of it all.

Shrug their shoulders I suppose.

I've never felt so negative towards our National Team Doug. Been to many games since I was very young, it's always been Hearts and Scotland for me but the whole way Scottish football is run is becoming ridiculous, from the voting system, the league setup, the bias towards the OF, the Sevco debacle and the National Team, everything they do is of a pisspoor standard, every appointment is pisspoor. 

5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Fact. He brought in Griffiths and Berra and we magically improved! If he’d been picking them for three years like he should have we’d have made the euros and maybe the wc too. Prick.

Ahhh but its all in the genes

Archived