Levein *POLL*

davemclaren

Levein - stay or go poll  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Should Craig go before new season or be allowed to start the new season?

• Craig should not be manager for next season
    • Craig should be manager at the start of the new season

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/03/18 at 12:01

34 minutes ago, Bainy said:

Worrying that people are actually in favour of this continuing into next season!  Genuinely what do you see changing after the summer with him in charge? Free flowing attacking football? I think not.

You honestly think launching season ticket renewals with no manager and no signing targets lined up is a smart move?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

• frankblack

Bazzas right boot

The % of folk voting against cl would have been about 15-25% before a ball was even kicked .

Many didn't want him and now feel they have a reason to vent their vitriol, when in fact many posters already had their mind made up. No matter what.

Bit like the Robbie thing, we were generally solid and doing well in the league so the hibs cup game and "shite football" was the reason.

Some folk didn't half give that a good outing, some still go on about it.

Certain folk have an opinion and it will not be changed. 

During the good run, many posters were quite, as soon as we have a few poor results, queue the slavering and vitriol.

It's cringey and embarrassing and has been a theme since Robbie.

Some posters seem to have all their shite prepared and ready to go as soon as we hit a bad patch.

3 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

The % of folk voting against cl would have been about 15-25% before a ball was even kicked .

Many didn't want him and now feel they have a reason to vent their vitriol, when in fact many posters already had their mind made up. No matter what.

Bit like the Robbie thing, we were generally solid and doing well in the league so the hibs cup game and "shite football" was the reason.

Some folk didn't half give that a good outing, some still go on about it.

Certain folk have an opinion and it will not be changed. 

During the good run, many posters were quite, as soon as we have a few poor results, queue the slavering and vitriol.

It's cringey and embarrassing and has been a theme since Robbie.

Some posters seem to have all their shite prepared and ready to go as soon as we hit a bad patch.

And some folk seem ready to defend any criticism. It works both ways. Do you think folk would be critical for no reason. You're getting reasonable responses most of the time.  

31 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I think we will still sell close to 14k next season as Hearts fans follow Hearts not a manager.

I'd say its too early to make a prediction as to how many we will have been sold by the SPL kick off as for some people it will be determined by what they perceive as good recruitment over the summer. Right now I would say with confidence there is not a chance 14,000 people would agree to renewing tomorrow. Personally as per speculation on another thread I would be delighted if Mitchell, Naismith and Adao signed but I would be wanting 3 or 4 more of that quality at least before committing to any ST. Why? Well we've had those 3 in the team and we have still been God awful!  This is a major reason people who are dubious of Levein (like me) are questioning his ability to oversee the massive job this summer as its in addition to our better players that we need extensive recruitment NOT in place of them! Yes it will be pleasing to secure the players who have come in and clearly improved the team but thats not going to be anywhere near sufficient as we have seen over the last couple of months. The loss of the big keeper for one is going to be a big void to fill and we have numerous positions were we need a starter not a squad filler.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Elmore said:

And some folk seem ready to defend any criticism. It works both ways. Do you think folk would be critical for no reason. You're getting reasonable responses most of the time.  

Most folk "defending" know the issues, but are will to give Craig the summer.

Nobody is over joyed , happy or thinks we are complete.

Said posters just don't think Sacking him would be helpful.

Greedy_Jambo

Right, I'm still worried about the style of football we generally play under Levein. The lack of goals is worrying. We Have Lafferty and Naismith ffs. We should be scoring more! Skip the midfield, punt it up to them. Anything! 

But.....

I do like Him as a man and this talk of signing 7-10 players is getting me slightly excited. 

I'm changing my vote. 

This is last chance saloon though. 

Enzo Chiefo
25 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Most folk "defending" know the issues, but are will to give Craig the summer.

Nobody is over joyed , happy or thinks we are complete.

Said posters just don't think Sacking him would be helpful.

And those who aren't willing to give him time believe that he is incapable of over seeing a summer transfer window that  could see up to 10 cut price signings coming in. Based solely on what he has done over the last 4 years as well as the type of football we have dished up this season, we want to see him removed. Different opinions but every bit as reasonable as those of the Remainers. I suspect that most of them are basing their confidence on Levein's previous tenure. Fair enough but others disagree.

ford donald
41 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

I'd say its too early to make a prediction as to how many we will have been sold by the SPL kick off as for some people it will be determined by what they perceive as good recruitment over the summer. Right now I would say with confidence there is not a chance 14,000 people would agree to renewing tomorrow. Personally as per speculation on another thread I would be delighted if Mitchell, Naismith and Adao signed but I would be wanting 3 or 4 more of that quality at least before committing to any ST. Why? Well we've had those 3 in the team and we have still been God awful!  This is a major reason people who are dubious of Levein (like me) are questioning his ability to oversee the massive job this summer as its in addition to our better players that we need extensive recruitment NOT in place of them! Yes it will be pleasing to secure the players who have come in and clearly improved the team but thats not going to be anywhere near sufficient as we have seen over the last couple of months. The loss of the big keeper for one is going to be a big void to fill and we have numerous positions were we need a starter not a squad filler.

The thing that worries me is the lack of quality in the squad,specially the midfield,you could count on one hand the goal attempts,it is very poor.

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And those who aren't willing to give him time believe that he is incapable of over seeing a summer transfer window that  could see up to 10 cut price signings coming in. Based solely on what he has done over the last 4 years as well as the type of football we have dished up this season, we want to see him removed. Different opinions but every bit as reasonable as those of the Remainers. I suspect that most of them are basing their confidence on Levein's previous tenure. Fair enough but others disagree.

Which is fine. It would be more reasonable if both sides cut the vermin and the serial loser chat at the same time.

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Which is fine. It would be more reasonable if both sides cut the vermin and the serial loser chat at the same time.

Totally agree Geoff.

2 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Do you want to give him up until he retires to try and prove that and then give him an honorary position on the board when he doesn't?

That would be a wee bit silly m8

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

I think we will still sell close to 14k next season as Hearts fans follow Hearts not a manager.

Agreed, G, as Cathro was still in the big seat when we had sold this season's total. I would have had no truck with anyone who didn't renew because of Cathro. Supporters can only do what they think is right. 

I've never subscribed to the, quite modern, badge of honour type view of ST sales. I'll be quite honest and say i've done it for a few recent seasons for financial reasons, not because the football was good to watch.

The talk of signing 7 to 10 new players is actually frightening and I can hear the excuses now "we have just signed x amount of players and they need time to gel blah blah blah and that's not even going into the quality / standard a club playing in the Scottish prem could afford to pay in wages for 10 first team players. You can forget about transfer fees that's for sure 

I would far prefer quality over quantity but I guess that's not even an option 

Edited by Gazbo

jack D and coke
24 minutes ago, Greedy_Jambo said:

Right, I'm still worried about the style of football we generally play under Levein. The lack of goals is worrying. We Have Lafferty and Naismith ffs. We should be scoring more! Skip the midfield, punt it up to them. Anything! 

But.....

I do like Him as a man and this talk of signing 7-10 players is getting me slightly excited. 

I'm changing my vote. 

I think loads of us feel this way, i do anyway. If it continues in this vein again then I hope Ann Budge has the stomach to empty the whole Levein idea, all the coaches, the lot, oot!!! 

But im willing to give him this last chance. 

4 minutes ago, Gazbo said:

The talk of signing 7 to 10 new players is actually frightening and I can hear the excuses now "we have just signed x amount of players and they need time to gel blah blah blah and that's not even going into the quality / standard a club playing in the Scottish prem could afford to pay in wages for 10 first team players. You can forget about transfer fees that's for sure 

If he stays, there can be zero excuses, they have all been used up this season. Some here will still find them though.

Greedy_Jambo
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I think loads of us feel this way, i do anyway. If it continues in this vein again then I hope Ann Budge has the stomach to empty the whole Levein idea, all the coaches, the lot, oot!!! 

But im willing to give him this last chance. 

The good thing is... 

He knows we're shite. He couldn't back up the Natural Order comment and that must be eating away at him because he's made himself look a bit silly. 

He'll be out to prove a point.  He must know it's last chance saloon as well.  

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

last 4 years...............

championship winners

3rd

5th

now 6th

How does that compare with the last 25 years?

Your last paragraph is also wrong in my case, I am basing it on his first two years and giving him a chance to fix the Cathro saga.

Most people would think it is reasonable to give him a full window before judging, particularly in our case- as by backing Cathro and his transfers we were left short and unbalanced.

Other folk just want change, just like with Robbie and then Cathro, despite Robbe having an overall excellent 2.5 years.

Edited by BigDave'sHeed

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Gazbo said:

I would far prefer quality over quantity but I guess that's not even an option 

:getout:

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

last 4 years

championship winners

3rd

5th

now 6th

So last season was good then? And this one?

Last 4 years:

Oshaniwa

Martin

El Hadj

Early cup exits

Botched pre-season prep summer 2016 resulting in exit to Maltese Waiters X1. CL more or less admitted this.

Appointment of Ian Cathro

Mysterious departures of Neil Alexander, Adam Eckerskey and Jack Ross.

Just putting the opposite point of view to the mixed bag of successes tgat you cited.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Last 4 years:

Oshaniwa

Martin

El Hadj

Early cup exits

Botched pre-season prep summer 2016 resulting in exit to Maltese Waiters X1. CL more or less admitted this.

Just putting the opposite point of view to the mixed bag of successes tgat you cited.

How were those departures "mysterious"? Ross was unrelated to football, allegedly, Alexander was being replaced by Gilks but that fell through and Neilson decided Eckersley was not good enough for the top flight.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Last 4 years:

Oshaniwa

Martin

El Hadj

Early cup exits

I also agree it's a mixed bag- that was my point. 

Bit like all my time following Hearts.

We have also completely rebuilt our infrastructure from our academy to the big shiney new stand that you might have noticed.

Craig has only been manager since August, I think he should get the summer window so he has his own team.

That, imo is the sensible thing to do.

Early cup exits, generally yes but under Craig we've got the furthest in 4 years, and that's not even with a full transfer window.

Maltese waiters is a funny one giving the results of Scottish teams in Europe recently, it shows a real lack of understanding were Scottish football is in Europe.

It was also a very good achievement to get promoted over rangers, hibs then finish 3rd to get us there. Shame that is missed.

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

How were those departures "mysterious"? Ross was unrelated to football, allegedly, Alexander was being replaced by Gilks but that fell through and Neilson decided Eckersley was not good enough for the top flight.

Eckersley was mysterious in the sense that RN stated that it was because "We want to reduce the average age of the squad". AE was only 29 and we promptly signed players in their 30s. Alexander had a contract offered to him and then removed as we expected to sign Matt Gilks.  Neilson stated tgat Jack Hamilton needed to go out on loan to gain experience as he wasn't ready. He then promptly installed him as our No.1. Jack Ross was earmarked to replace RN and then disappeared. All departures were strange and the problem with trying to bull***t the fans is that you end up fooling nobody. The same applies to last year's flawed managerial search

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Eckersley was mysterious in the sense that RN stated that it was because "We want to reduce the average age of the squad". AE was only 29 and we promptly signed players in their 30s. Alexander had a contract offered to him and then removed as we expected to sign Matt Gilks.  Neilson stated tgat Jack Hamilton needed to go out on loan to gain experience as he wasn't ready. He then promptly installed him as our No.1. Jack Ross was earmarked to replace RN and then disappeared. All departures were strange and the problem with trying to bull***t the fans is that you end up fooling nobody. The same applies to last year's flawed managerial search

Neilson was quite fond of spraffing shite. Moneyspinner was another favourite spraff.

Haven't read the whole thread but how anyone can want him to be at the helm any longer is seriously misguided. The revolving door of piss poor signings he has overseen is far worse than when Vlad was here. The man should be chased out , and I believe would have been in the days before we were soft as shite.

This cosy relationship he has with Budge means he'll be there considerably longer and I can't be the only one who now has lost the thrill of following the team home and away. I'll be getting me and the daughters season tickets but my two sons have said not to bother with theirs.

Until there's change my days of travelling to away games are gone. Who can justify the expense when we're served up the utter garbage of Levein playing for a point against the might of Hamilton, County and the like?

Edited by post221

Enzo Chiefo
23 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Neilson was quite fond of spraffing shite. Moneyspinner was another favourite spraff.

Yes, that was his best one. Helped to ease the disappointment of losing a late equaliser knowing we would make some money out of the replay!!

3 minutes ago, post221 said:

Haven't read the whole thread but how anyone can want him to be at the helm any longer is seriously misguided. The revolving door of piss poor signings he has overseen is far worse than when Vlad was here. The man should be chased out , and I believe would have been in the days before we were soft as shite.

This cosy relationship he has with Budge means he'll be there considerably longer and I can't be the only one who now has lost the thrill of following the team home and away. I'll be getting me and the daughters season tickets but my two sons have said not to bother with theirs.

Until there's change my days of travelling to away games are gone. Who can justify the expense when we're served up the utter garbage of Levein playing for a point against the might of Hamilton, County and the like?

Its all part of being a supporter. 

Follow through thick and thin. The good and bad. 

I don't support Craig Levein, I support Heart of Midlothian and I'll be there as always. Regardless. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, post221 said:

Can you enlighten us as to a season when Hearts were good away from home?

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We have also completely rebuilt our infrastructure from our academy to the big shiney new stand that you might have noticed.

Craig has only been manager since August, I think he should get the summer window so he has his own team.

Early cup exits, generally yes but under Craig we've got the furthest in 4 years, and that's not even with a full transfer window.

Maltese waiters is a funny one giving the results of Scottish teams in Europe recently, it shows a real lack of understanding were Scottish football is in Europe.

It was also a very good achievement to get promoted over rangers, hibs then finish 3rd to get us there. Shame that is missed.

Fair point BDH. Credit of course goes to CL for the Academy and for his role along with RN in the fantastic championship  winning achievement. Likewise AB for the new stand.Where we all differ is the progress since then and the likely progress going forward.  Still, none of us can influence tgat so we will just have to wait and see what the summer brings. 

39 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Can you enlighten us as to a season when Hearts were good away from home?

I'm not talking results here. Plenty of previous teams (since I started watching in '84) would go away and at least try to win. I can honestly say that this is the worst Hearts team to watch , away from home , that I can remember. Even at home we're shite , where's the players that excite? When you're pining for the return of Don Cowie to midfield you know things have gone awry.

You can't honestly tell me you enjoy the eye-bleeding rubbish that's served up , week after week?

Geoff Kilpatrick
21 minutes ago, post221 said:

I'm not talking results here. Plenty of previous teams (since I started watching in '84) would go away and at least try to win. I can honestly say that this is the worst Hearts team to watch , away from home , that I can remember. Even at home we're shite , where's the players that excite? When you're pining for the return of Don Cowie to midfield you know things have gone awry.

You can't honestly tell me you enjoy the eye-bleeding rubbish that's served up , week after week?

Worst team away from home? Try 98-99 for starters. Try the admin season. Or the McGlynn season.

Yes we are mediocre but there has been much worse.

BobbyJenkins
2 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

last 4 years...............

championship winners

3rd

5th

now 6th

How does that compare with the last 25 years?

Your last paragraph is also wrong in my case, I am basing it on his first two years and giving him a chance to fix the Cathro saga.

Most people would think it is reasonable to give him a full window before judging, particularly in our case- as by backing Cathro and his transfers we were left short and unbalanced.

Other folk just want change, just like with Robbie and then Cathro, despite Robbe having an overall excellent 2.5 years.

?

All Out Attack
4 hours ago, frankblack said:

You honestly think launching season ticket renewals with no manager and no signing targets lined up is a smart move?

No, but signing a new manager and seeing them make a few signings would work absolute wonders for ticket sales and unite the support for the season ahead. 

In the real world Levein has alienated a huge section of our support and even here on JKB where almost 50% wanted to retain Cathro, his numbers are appalling. 

Levein is a long way from a dead man walking, but if our chronic form and negative playing style does does improve, his days are numbered. 

51 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

No, but signing a new manager and seeing them make a few signings would work absolute wonders for ticket sales and unite the support for the season ahead. 

In the real world Levein has alienated a huge section of our support and even here on JKB where almost 50% wanted to retain Cathro, his numbers are appalling. 

Levein is a long way from a dead man walking, but if our chronic form and negative playing style does does improve, his days are numbered. 

If you sacked Levein tomorrow (which isn't going to happen btw), season tickets are still going to be on sale long before a replacement is recruited.  Then there is the question of who can we get in that is GUARANTEED to be able to come in and get 7-10 first team players of better quality than we have within our budget all after the window has opened?  I don't think Clarke would consider a move to us due to his desire to return south where is family is based, so that basically leaves us with the type of candidates we had at interviews after Cathro - Billy Davies, Owen Coyle, and Steven Pressley.

There are definite improvements Levein can make to his style as I've mentioned before, such as leaving a couple of players up when defending set pieces.  However, I think in terms of style he has been limited by personnel and injuries in how to attack - lack of midfield, lack of width and no pace.  Our Championship team had 3 wide players who could counter attack at pace in Nicholson, Walker, and Billy King - we have none that seem anywhere near as capable.

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Worst team away from home? Try 98-99 for starters. Try the admin season. Or the McGlynn season.

Yes we are mediocre but there has been much worse.

The Joe Jordan, Stevie Frail, and Tommy McLean teams were dire to watch also.

3 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

I wouldn't use losing to Motherwell in the quarter finals as professing in the cups. If that's seen as achievement, it's pretty bad then. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I wouldn't use losing to Motherwell in the quarter finals as professing in the cups. If that's seen as achievement, it's pretty bad then. 

It's not an achievement.

It's most definitely progress tho.

It should have been ten
4 hours ago, Greedy_Jambo said:

But.....

I'm changing my vote. 

:rudiyas:

5 hours ago, Barack said:

1) Get them in early enough, as has been stated by virtually everyone, regardless of wanting Levein in, or not, & that negates “gelling.” Or lack of it.

2) What do transfer fees have anything to do with it? You going to see Aberdeen, or Hibs, or dare I say it, Rangers splashing hundreds of thousands on players? No. There’s an inordinate amount of players available from all over, whose contracts are up in the summer. So rather than use that market, you’re asking Hearts to ignore it, & pay fees to clubs?

No. Couldn’t personally care if we spend the equivalent of a bag of Haribo on players. They have to be the right ones. That’s all.

I was being a bit sarcastic on the transfer fee quote 

Just to let some folks on here to get real about the standards of the players involved in next seasons overhaul 

Can someone please start a poll with a dozen options that the minority on here who are raging about not being a majority can twist the results from?

11 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Can someone please start a poll with a dozen options that the minority on here who are raging about not being a majority can twist the results from?

Can someone start a poll asking if you are delighted or happy even at least, with the way our manager has done this season?? 

Edited by Gazbo

Just now, Gazbo said:

Can someone start a poll asking if you are delighted or happy even with the way our manager has done this season?? 

That is exactly the sort of of poll question I was referring to.

Do it man... DO IT!

2D9C977B-3FDB-4584-9C1A-8D488B9395DB.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

That is exactly the sort of of poll question I was referring to.

Do it man... DO IT!

2D9C977B-3FDB-4584-9C1A-8D488B9395DB.jpeg

I'm not technically savvy enough if your genuinely asking bud 

Edited by Gazbo

8 minutes ago, Gazbo said:

I'm not technically savvy enough if your genuinely asking bud 

I’m being a little bit facetious. I’d love to see that poll though... even just for the bun-fight. 

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

Souttar didn't play against celtic mate, it was Michael Smith and Berra as centre backs IIRC

Fair play Smithee 

ur right .. smith played a blinder that game but u get my point 

13 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

We all see it differently 1975 thats part of the fun of football, We'll find out soon enough whose right or wrong.

Amen to paragraph 1

Possibly to stubbonly try and prove that he was right and everyone else was wrong with the Cathro appointment and said Trainee Head Coach scheme?

We took far to long to get rid of him. Let's hope the same mistake isn't being repeated.

Ur right mate and I don't mind that at all .. we all have different opinions and as long as its reasoned debate, it's healthy ... nothing wrong debating points and that's what a forum should be for at the end of the day 

we all want the same thing at the end of the day but we all just have a difference of opinion on how we get there 

13 hours ago, Boab said:

I haven't seen much in the play you've described in your first paragraph lately. The reasons perplex me as the demon game proved we do have the personnel to go toe to toe with the best in the country. Maybe it was a one-off, a day when it clicked but watching some games since that, leaves me wondering why we set ourselves up against lesser teams without the urgency of that day.

It's frustrating because i'm sure we all thought we were onto a game after that result.

I get what ur saying and noted ur point as per the above 

I think it's just some of us think it's personnel related and some think it's tactics related 

next season we should have a clearer picture on where we are 

“... No matter what I say, people will judge me how they want to judge me. I’m not asking to be judged or not judged – that’s not my thing. There are a lot of people who do know how things work, and there are others who just want to keep regurgitating the same old rubbish.”

(Craig Levein)

:spoton:

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, Ryder said:

“... No matter what I say, people will judge me how they want to judge me. I’m not asking to be judged or not judged – that’s not my thing. There are a lot of people who do know how things work, and there are others who just want to keep regurgitating the same old rubbish.”

(Craig Levein)

:spoton:

That might apply to the DoF role but a Head Coach can only really be judged on one thing - results (keeping in mind budget, injuries etc)

I would like to see us showing that our way of doing things is paying short/medium/long term dividends before we start dismissing the “same old rubbish”