Goncalves - some Hearts fans in racist abuse claims

Swanny17

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
12 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

No deflection there if a crime has occurred you report it to police they will take it from there and if need be appeal for witnesses. No report then no crime,dispute that if you wish.

So you can call someone whatever you want as long as no-one reports you? This is just a case of causing uncertainty and trying to discredit Goncalves' family. You'll also have to explain to me why Hearts fans would make this up because I'm at a loss. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pleased to see the club respond to this in the right way, no place for racism or sectarianism at Tynecastle. I dont for a minute think Hearts have a bigger problem than any other clubs but the simple fact is this kind of thing needs to be stamped out.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Racism is rife within the UK. Every club has idiots in their support this isn't exclusive to us its just unfortunate that Goncalves' family have heard it and we're now the ones under the spotlight. We should use this to highlight racism and do something about it. Let's highlight it rather than try and pretend it didn't happen. I know which stance will seriously damage the clubs image. It's a shame some don't realise it.

i wish jj was my dad

I think that this is difficult territory.  I've no doubt we still have racists and bigots in our support but I'm actually surprised to hear that Isma's family heard him being subjected to any racist abuse.  I've certainly never heard it and I'm very sceptical about the claim that his move to Uzbekistan was motivated by his desire to get avoid racists rather than to increase his income.  I'm also suspicious that this has come out after he has spoken to the media rather than the club because I've absolutely not doubt the board would taken immediate steps to support him if he had raised it as a fairness at work or similar issue. 

All that said, I'm glad that the club is making their position crystal clear.  Zero tolerance.  Bigots and racists not welcome

38 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

No deflection there if a crime has occurred you report it to police they will take it from there and if need be appeal for witnesses. No report then no crime,dispute that if you wish.

How do you report a crime, if there is no crime until the crime has been reported? 

16 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I think that this is difficult territory.  I've no doubt we still have racists and bigots in our support but I'm actually surprised to hear that Isma's family heard him being subjected to any racist abuse.  I've certainly never heard it and I'm very sceptical about the claim that his move to Uzbekistan was motivated by his desire to get avoid racists rather than to increase his income.  I'm also suspicious that this has come out after he has spoken to the media rather than the club because I've absolutely not doubt the board would taken immediate steps to support him if he had raised it as a fairness at work or similar issue. 

All that said, I'm glad that the club is making their position crystal clear.  Zero tolerance.  Bigots and racists not welcome

I think this is balanced

Best

TW

Our dislike for him was never racist , he was crap for us, end of. Probably all been covered, god I hate imposters

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, mark2000 said:

Okay, wrong choice of option - he was extremely rubbish most of the time. 

lazy and rubbish and out of condition

its true levein rarely tolerates lazy players - isma is no longer here - there just might be a connection

unfortunately it probably does need stated that despite being lazy fat and rubbish no one should have to endure racist abuse as isma is claiming he was told happened here

Just now, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

lazy and rubbish and fat

its true levein rarely tolerates lazy players - isma is no longer here - there just might be a connection there

unfortunately it probably does need stated that despite being lazy fat and rubbish no one should have to endure racist abuse as isma is claiming he 

He wasn't, lazy, rubbish or fat.

Levein played him in nearly every game while he was here, right up until he was sold. He clearly rated him.

15 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

This article both angers and saddens me. Firstly, I am not denying it has happened as there is undoubtedly a horrible element in our support, although I never heard it in Section A. However, there are holes in the story, such as not telling Craig Levein or anyone in authority at Hearts this, "because he doesn't like to share his problems" then running to the EEN.

Where does his wife/kid/brother sit? If they're hearing it then surely someone from Hearts would have too?

He took a helluva lot of abuse for putting on weight and playing shit over the year he was here. Whether that was deserved or not is your own opinion. I was at Aberdeen when he missed the target from 8 yards near the end and there were a lot of "useless fat b*****d" shouts. Could his wife have misheard fat for black? Just asking as I've never heard Djoum or Buaben or Sowah or Oshaniwa receive racist abuse either for playing poorly and they've been every bit as culpable for loss of form as Isma, except they still looked like footba

15 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

This article both angers and saddens me. Firstly, I am not denying it has happened as there is undoubtedly a horrible element in our support, although I never heard it in Section A. However, there are holes in the story, such as not telling Craig Levein or anyone in authority at Hearts this, "because he doesn't like to share his problems" then running to the EEN.

Where does his wife/kid/brother sit? If they're hearing it then surely someone from Hearts would have too?

He took a helluva lot of abuse for putting on weight and playing shit over the year he was here. Whether that was deserved or not is your own opinion. I was at Aberdeen when he missed the target from 8 yards near the end and there were a lot of "useless fat b*****d" shouts. Could his wife have misheard fat for black? Just asking as I've never heard Djoum or Buaben or Sowah or Oshaniwa receive racist abuse either for playing poorly and they've been every bit as culpable for loss of form as Isma, except they still looked like footballers. 

This...

When does it be come racist to tell someone he is a lazy b@stard?

When does it become racist to tell someone he doesn't know the offside rules!! 

When does it become racist to tell someone he is sh#t

Welcome to pc sterile tyncastle..... 

Some total garbage being trotted out now. It’s not the claims he was lazy that are the problem, it’s the calling him a “black *******” and a “coon” that are the problem. Some right churlish and obtuse folk kicking about.

On his day he was very decent and he did have a good goals to game ratio. However, if a player leaves he leaves and very rarely I lament. All in all a good signing and we made some dough. I have moved on already.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

He wasn't, lazy, rubbish or fat.

Levein played him in nearly every game while he was here, right up until he was sold. He clearly rated him.

so he looked fit and sharp to you?

lots of reasons why levein would play him main one being lack of options

no longer here - if levein wanted him here he would be here 

5 hours ago, Peebo said:

Having heard him being racially abused, I feel comfortable concluding he has been a victim of racial abuse. 

Fair enough. 

Any reason why you felt you couldn’t report it to the club on the hotline? 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
11 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Some total garbage being trotted out now. It’s not the claims he was lazy that are the problem, it’s the calling him a “black *******” and a “coon” that are the problem. Some right churlish and obtuse folk kicking about.

Calling someone 'F****** shite' isn't racist though. Phew! ? Was sweating a bit there. Thanks to jimglg for clearing that up.

1 minute ago, ISMAparty said:

Calling someone 'F****** shite' isn't racist though. Phew! ? Was sweating a bit there. Thanks to jimglg for clearing that up.

Absolutely mental, eh? :mellow:

i wish jj was my dad
6 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I can believe it happened and IIRC you have mentioned witnessing it. But as vile as that is I'm having difficulty believing that it is more than one or two no marks without a brain cell between them. Or that these incidents persuaded him to make a lucrative move to Uzbekistan rather than stay in Scotland. Nor can i figure out why he raised it with the media rather than his employer who no doubt wiuld have supported him.

I've confronted plenty racists at Tynecastle long before it was considered normal to do that. I've also defended Isma from folk who thought he was a lazy fat prick. I'm not quite ready to take up the cudgels on his behalf on this though. As much as i want the club to come down hard on anybody who shames us, I'm less than convinced Isma is being entirely truthful about his reasons for swapping Scotland for Uzbekistan.

Racist comments were mentioned earlier in the season by some but I’m certainly not aware of hearing anything racist at Tynecastle for many years. That being said it’s inevitable that we will have racists in our support and we have to take Isma’s comments at face value and act accordingly. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
1 minute ago, Ryder said:

Absolutely mental, eh? :mellow:

Thought everyone would be ashamed of this. No! It's all about  'why didn’t you report it at the time'  and his family not being able to understand English. Isma's a lier, me, you and the rest of us who said we've heard something at one point.

The truth is you're alright unless you're not preforming. Then you're a useless b****  b******.

1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I can believe it happened and IIRC you have mentioned witnessing it. But as vile as that is I'm having difficulty believing that it is more than one or two no marks without a brain cell between them. Or that these incidents persuaded him to make a lucrative move to Uzbekistan rather than stay in Scotland. Nor can i figure out why he raised it with the media rather than his employer who no doubt wiuld have supported him.

I've confronted plenty racists at Tynecastle long before it was considered normal to do that. I've also defended Isma from folk who thought he was a lazy fat prick. I'm not quite ready to take up the cudgels on his behalf on this though. As much as i want the club to come down hard on anybody who shames us, I'm less than convinced Isma is being entirely truthful about his reasons for swapping Scotland for Uzbekistan.

See this is where I totally lose the thread of what you are saying here. It’s so contradictory.

If you have confronted folk for it on many occasions, then you are obviously aware of how common it is, and that doesn’t tally to “one or two”.

I completely understand why he would wait until he left before mentioning it. I do t blame him after some of the abuse Budge took for trying to tackle this very same issue. What chance would he have?

I do t quite understand how you know it happens and have seen it many times, but you doubt it happened on one particular occasion where his family were there to hear it. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

12th-december-2017-tynecastle-park-edinb

Doesn't look fat

well selected photograph (understandably)

does actually still look fat for an athlete and that will be a good photo

concentrate on stuff like he 'makes intelligent runs that his team mates don't spot' at least that's more subjective

think there will be few who would argue he was fit and sharp

hes away - no 'we'd love to keep him' chat from levein (like McLaughlin for example) just gone

hasnt been missed - things are looking good

I think Isma handled this very badly. The first the club knew about it was from the media. If the club was given the opportunity to show support for Isma and his family back in October then the Glasgow papers wouldn't have their headlines today. If I was an employer and one of my workers left because of bullying/abuse/bigotry or whatever, and I only found out through the media I'd be pretty p1ssed off. Sorry this whole thing happened but good luck in Uzbekistan Isma, Ihear the fans can be brutal.

49 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

well selected photograph (understandably)

does actually still look fat for an athlete and that will be a good photo

concentrate on stuff like he 'makes intelligent runs that his team mates don't spot' at least that's more subjective

think there will be few who would argue he was fit and sharp

hes away - no 'we'd love to keep him' chat from levein (like McLaughlin for example) just gone

hasnt been missed - things are looking good

Things are looking good, apart from the bigots and racists who use the club as a platform to promote their personal political agendas. Using the club in this way makes them parasites, eradicate these parasites from our support and things really would be looking good.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 minutes ago, ADAM said:

Things are looking good, apart from the bigots and racists who use the club as a platform to promote their personal political agendas. Using the club in this way makes them parasites, eradicate these parasites from our support and things really would be looking good.

there are clearly some hearts fans who's behaviour is not acceptable - massive improvements have been made over the past few decades though still not perfect - a bit like society in general

38 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I think Isma handled this very badly. The first the club knew about it was from the media. If the club was given the opportunity to show support for Isma and his family back in October then the Glasgow papers wouldn't have their headlines today. If I was an employer and one of my workers left because of bullying/abuse/bigotry or whatever, and I only found out through the media I'd be pretty p1ssed off. Sorry this whole thing happened but good luck in Uzbekistan Isma, Ihear the fans can be brutal.

Agreed. He's chucked the club under the bus and if I was a club considering signing him I'd be wary. 

I also firmly believe that had he went through the proper channels at the time the fans by and large would have rallied round him which would have minimised the abuse he was getting for his poor form. 

Havent read this thread.  Too depressing.  I just hope that no other players or staff members at Hearts have encountered any form of discrimination.

29 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Havent read this thread.  Too depressing.  I just hope that no other players or staff members at Hearts have encountered any form of discrimination.

Let’s  hope they speak out now if they have.

all it takes is one to stand up and be counted.

?

Coburg Hearts
19 hours ago, Ryder said:

Another lucky fan then. I’ve heard it a lot and at many different players.

I'm another who hasn't heard any racist comments, and for that I do count myself lucky. How anyone can abuse another person because of the colour of their skin is beyond my comprehension. I don't even abuse our players when they're not up to standard.

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Ryder said:

See this is where I totally lose the thread of what you are saying here. It’s so contradictory.

If you have confronted folk for it on many occasions, then you are obviously aware of how common it is, and that doesn’t tally to “one or two”.

I completely understand why he would wait until he left before mentioning it. I do t blame him after some of the abuse Budge took for trying to tackle this very same issue. What chance would he have?

I do t quite understand how you know it happens and have seen it many times, but you doubt it happened on one particular occasion where his family were there to hear it. 

Maybe I've not explained myself well enough but i don't see any contradiction. I was confronting people for racist abuse in the terracing 25 years ago when it was a widespread problem and not an easy thing to do. Games involving Dale Gordon, Justin Fashanu and a bit more recently Rod Wallace and Marvin Andrews when society was a lot less inclusive. I fell out with guys I thought were mates and  stopped travelling to games with folk i considered mates on the back of incidents because i couldn't accept it and they thought i was being a pc prick. At that time it wasn't fashionable to call out those behaviours and the Gordon and Fashanu incidents could have turned out a lot worse than they did for me.

But while i dont doubt you still get isolated incidents i haven't personally witnessed any for a long time.  I can believe it happened and i am sure it would be upsetting but personally i think Isma has left to take up a more lucrative contract rather than to avoid racist abuse.

Nor do i get why he didnt ask the club for support. My knowledge of that part od the world isn't great but i doubt he will get the same level of support there than he would at Hearts if it were to suffer similar abuse at his new club 

Why did no one that heard the racism report it to the club?

Im not saying it never happened just that there is a hotline set up to report matters like this and no one has used it according to the club they've never heard of these incidents until now

There seems to be loads who have heard the racism but no one has thought to report it to the club

7 hours ago, McCrae said:

Fair enough. 

Any reason why you felt you couldn’t report it to the club on the hotline? 

The specific instance I’m refering to was reported during the game, by the guy sitting in front of me. He was able to ID the person. I wasn’t. The shout came from behind me. 

I could have called the club hotline, but given the above, didn’t see the point. Again, in the context of this thread, the key thing is that it did happen, not who did or didn’t do anything in terms of reporting it. That is, of course, part of the broader picture, but the fact something may or may not have been reported to the club at the time (by Isma, his wife, brother, or others, all of whom may have had no specifics in terms of who gave the abuse) does not determine whether it actually happened or not. 

9 hours ago, communist said:

That's fine then, continue making an arse of yourself if you like. 

Love the comparison of a 2000+ page to a 15 page thread though, quality.

:rolleyes4::rolleyes4::rolleyes5:

9 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

Not putting a spin on it. Just pointing out what the article says doesn’t particularly make a lot of sense.

Not suggesting he hasn’t been racially abused, I just personally have not heard it myself. If I had then I would have reported it to the club.

Sorry but it does read like spin. We should accept we have a minority of eejits and chase them out...like all clubs except the Bigot Brothers who have a majority.

I'm not going to sit here and deny that its happened. That would be somewhat foolish I think.

I quite believe that there ARE still a select few people within society who unleash these sorts of comments in public. Is it a Hearts specific problem? Absolutely not. These people exist in all areas of society and can be found wearing the colours of just about every team in the land.

And that's where I begin to have the problem with all this. Once again, something at Hearts has been blown up to be national headline news and all of a sudden we're being portrayed as a club / support with a problem which is significantly worse than anyone else. And that's utter horseshit.

On a weekly basis, I can just about guarantee there is significantly worse behaviour which comes from followers of certain teams in this country. Week in, week out certain clubs and certain supporters seem utterly immune from criticism.

Then this happens and all of a sudden we're all over the front and back pages of the papers.

Are there racists and bigots within our support? Most probably, almost certainly.

Do Hearts have a problem which is notably worse than any of the other teams in the league? Most probably and almost certainly - NOT.

7 hours ago, Jambothump said:

Our dislike for him was never racist , he was crap for us, end of. Probably all been covered, god I hate imposters

Ive discussed this with a few folk some boos were heard relating to the player but no racist remarks.

maybe a distance from me in section N.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Erik said:

I'm not going to sit here and deny that its happened. That would be somewhat foolish I think.

I quite believe that there ARE still a select few people within society who unleash these sorts of comments in public. Is it a Hearts specific problem? Absolutely not. These people exist in all areas of society and can be found wearing the colours of just about every team in the land.

And that's where I begin to have the problem with all this. Once again, something at Hearts has been blown up to be national headline news and all of a sudden we're being portrayed as a club / support with a problem which is significantly worse than anyone else. And that's utter horseshit.

On a weekly basis, I can just about guarantee there is significantly worse behaviour which comes from followers of certain teams in this country. Week in, week out certain clubs and certain supporters seem utterly immune from criticism.

Then this happens and all of a sudden we're all over the front and back pages of the papers.

Are there racists and bigots within our support? Most probably, almost certainly.

Do Hearts have a problem which is notably worse than any of the other teams in the league? Most probably and almost certainly - NOT.

To be fair, it is headline news because the player told the media. I don't see this as an anti-Hearts bias.

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Racist comments were mentioned earlier in the season by some but I’m certainly not aware of hearing anything racist at Tynecastle for many years. That being said it’s inevitable that we will have racists in our support and we have to take Isma’s comments at face value and act accordingly. 

I totally respect you and your comments Dave but think about what you said. Why must we take at face value? That means that a ) we have almost no respect or trust for our own fans to instantly point fingers without proof and b ) people have carte blanche to say anything about us as a fanbase and for it to be believed. This to me is wrong. We are in the main a great set of fans with our scum element no more or less than what would represent society as a whole or any other club outside the Old Firm.

If little Johnny goes home from school at night and says a boy at school is bullying him, is it then right to expel the boy no questions asked? Is this the society you wish. Does a woman tweeting "#metoo" mean no cort case required. Is "#metoo" the actual court trial? You would like to believe in people but you would have to be zipped up at the back to believe every story and accusation ever told is true. There is always more than one party involved in an accusation, so why must the accuser be right?

The club have did the right thing yesterday and I am sure every single person on this thread does not wish for our players to be racially abused (why would you ffs) but when someone does this after the supposed fact what can be done now? We move on and keep our eyes and ears open for this and flush out the shit. But evidence is the only fair way, I simply do not understand anyone disagreeing here.

The amount of bad press this has generated is amazing. It's difficult to eradicate this sort of thing and if it takes four months to report it then you're either supporting it or accepting it and turning a blind eye. The club shouldn't be hung out to dry because of a couple of idiots. Bringing up the Mark Walters incident doesn't help. This was in the days when Rangers hadn't signed a catholic since the year dot and Celtic flew the flag of a foreign nation rather than our own. Bigotry and ignorance and racists are everywhere. Sad but true. Our club is bigger than any of this rubbish and the press know it. They're just enjoying it and selling a few papers on the back of it.

It's quite amusing the level of disgust that people feel when referring to others who comment on the colour of people's skin yet find it perfectly natural to scream, abuse, froth at the mouth, generally lose their Shit altogether at a player who makes a bad pass.

Anyway, I'm glad this has been highlighted and the club have acted accordingly.

Hope that's the end of it.

57 minutes ago, Peebo said:

The specific instance I’m refering to was reported during the game, by the guy sitting in front of me. He was able to ID the person. I wasn’t. The shout came from behind me. 

I could have called the club hotline, but given the above, didn’t see the point. Again, in the context of this thread, the key thing is that it did happen, not who did or didn’t do anything in terms of reporting it. That is, of course, part of the broader picture, but the fact something may or may not have been reported to the club at the time (by Isma, his wife, brother, or others, all of whom may have had no specifics in terms of who gave the abuse) does not determine whether it actually happened or not. 

This puts everything into context.  The comments you heard were only at one game by one individual and were not bad enough to make you feel you wanted to report it on the club hotline.

whilst one incident is unacceptable your experience doesn’t suggest this really is a big problem at our club and our reaction should match the scale of the problem.

4 minutes ago, McCrae said:

This puts everything into context.  The comments you heard were only at one game by one individual and were not bad enough to make you feel you wanted to report it on the club hotline.

whilst one incident is unacceptable your experience doesn’t suggest this really is a big problem at our club and our reaction should match the scale of the problem.

The comment was bad. It was racist abuse, and thus abhorrent. It was bad enough to report, and it was reported. 

I’m personally not concluding anything regarding the scale of the problem. I was simply stating that I came to the conclusion that Isma was victim of racist abuse, as I heard him being racially abused. No more, no less. 

39 minutes ago, Section Q said:

The amount of bad press this has generated is amazing. It's difficult to eradicate this sort of thing and if it takes four months to report it then you're either supporting it or accepting it and turning a blind eye. The club shouldn't be hung out to dry because of a couple of idiots. Bringing up the Mark Walters incident doesn't help. This was in the days when Rangers hadn't signed a catholic since the year dot and Celtic flew the flag of a foreign nation rather than our own. Bigotry and ignorance and racists are everywhere. Sad but true. Our club is bigger than any of this rubbish and the press know it. They're just enjoying it and selling a few papers on the back of it.

Excellent summation.

True or false, it is passed. Bigotry and racist behaviour is not unique to HMFC. The strong statement from the club is welcome, all we can do is report, all the club can do is act. We cannot cure society but we can try to make Tynecastle place for all and I will continue to encourage any player wearing a maroon jersey. 

55 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

To be fair, it is headline news because the player told the media. I don't see this as an anti-Hearts bias.

Not seeen a newspaper yet today, however knowing the media here they'll be suggesting that this is a problem unique to our club. Totally ignoring what goes on else where.  The sad fact is that there are dimwits all over our society who still think that it's ok to indulge in this sort of behaviour.  I'm glad the club has issued the statement it has. If this has happened here it's despicable. That said, claiming that it was his prime motivator in his move is questionable. Money would be his prime concern.  On an other note, Isma might well find that racism is far more rife where he has moved to than it ever is here. 

The Treasurer
9 hours ago, Scallywag said:

Pleased to see the club respond to this in the right way, no place for racism or sectarianism at Tynecastle. I dont for a minute think Hearts have a bigger problem than any other clubs but the simple fact is this kind of thing needs to be stamped out.

You are of course correct.

Why then have the media chosen only to highlight an isolated incident at our club while totally ignoring much bigger problems at other clubs.

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

You are of course correct.

Why then have the media chosen only to highlight an isolated incident at our club while totally ignoring much bigger problems at other clubs.

Perhaps it's due to the club making a statement about it? Just a thought.

A player saying that a big motivation in leaving a club was racist abuse from its fans - do people genuinely expect that not to make headlines?!?! 

Archived