Lafferty targeted by Sunderland

Kendoll

6 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I don't think Kyle is going anywhere.

Naismith and him up front together is going to happen IMO.

That may well come to pass tomorrow but it could be the only time they play together in a Hearts side.

The bottom line is that every player at every club has a price on their head. 

If we get an offer of anything over £500K for Kyle he'll be away IMO. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jamboscanbevicius

Like others have said, it would make no sense to let KL go at the moment...

We only have 2 senior strikers at the club - and Naismith is really a number 10, been in the door 2 mins, and is only here 'til summer!

With Isma and Stockton gone, it would surely need to be a massively attractive offer financially to ship him out before summer, even if (and it's a big if) CL thinks that his attitude is not what we need.

Is selling lafferty for not even a million worth it for the subsequent head ache it would cause the club? It would piss the fans off no end, a replacement offers no guarantees and as i've said before the turnover of players we've had at our club has been disgraceful.  Of course we still are a selling club but we sell youth. Lafferty forms part of an effective spine alongside Berra, Mclaughlin and Cowie so his value to the team goes beyond financial. Genuinely, wouldn't be interested unless we're talking a serious 7 figure sum. Half a million is nothing for a striker of his calibre.

12 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Actually no, the lady who sold them to me was pretty new to ebay and although she offered a refund , they were nice (Royal doulton) but I had got lucky at an auction and bought a bigger set, so I told her not to bother with a refund.

4B60D4F3-DC57-437A-90F8-BAF88235A8E8.jpeg

As long as your happy

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

Are we trying to punt him? There is difference between actively trying to sell a player, and an article saying we would consider selling if an acceptable offer arrives.

Any club would consider selling any player if they get an acceptable offer. 

Of course we aren't , but if an offer like the Sow one comes in we will take it . 

3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Of course we aren't , but if an offer like the Sow one comes in we will take it . 

seriously doubt that, way undervalue

Bungalow Bill
3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Sow’s contract was expiring though, Lafferty still has 18 months. We should be trying to build a strong team, we will struggle to find a better replacement than Lafferty. We shouldn’t be ripping up the squad yet again. 

13 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Scotsman article (yesterday's ?) seemed to be saying we would rather wait until end of season (if we were going to sell) .

As always money will talk and if he does go I'm pretty sure it will be for a princely sum

Neverforgetfiveone
1 hour ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I don't get this at all. Why are we trying to punt Laff 6 months after we moved heaven and earth to get him! He's one of the best we could possibly hope for at this level and getting rid of him is going to massively weaken us. We've already sold 2 strikers this week. Why would we sell him and scramble around to get some random striker in at the last minute. Doesn't make any sense to me, I thought we were trying to build a team.

I don't think we are actually trying to punt him. I think (well I know) the Nadia are playing on levein's words. Basically all our players are for sale - as are all players if the price is right. If we get a player for nothing and we get an offer of a million quid 6 months later then that's good business. Love Lafferty but money talks.

Neverforgetfiveone
Just now, Neverforgetfiveone said:

I don't think we are actually trying to punt him. I think (well I know) the Nadia are playing on levein's words. Basically all our players are for sale - as are all players if the price is right. If we get a player for nothing and we get an offer of a million quid 6 months later then that's good business. Love Lafferty but money talks.

Media - fecking iPad!!!

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I don't get this at all. Why are we trying to punt Laff 6 months after we moved heaven and earth to get him! He's one of the best we could possibly hope for at this level and getting rid of him is going to massively weaken us. We've already sold 2 strikers this week. Why would we sell him and scramble around to get some random striker in at the last minute. Doesn't make any sense to me, I thought we were trying to build a team.

I agree with you but I don't think we are trying to punt him - for the reasons you state, and I agree with, about trying to replace.    We are, however, in a transfer window and some teams are desperate to avoid relegation so are frantically searching for a proven striker. Kyle fits that specification whether we like it or not.  I want Kyle to stay but if some team is willing to pay a 'hefty premium' then we'd be silly not to consider it at least.  I don't accept some people's view that £500k is acceptable.  To me a 'hefty premium' should compensate the risk we'd carry trying to find an adequate replacement and potential loss revenues from an extended cup run and Europe.  I genuinely would be really disappointed if we accept anything shy of £1.5m.  Some will say that's a ridiculous amount but, for me, he's our player and we would risk significant lost revs with his departure.

11 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

Sow’s contract was expiring though, Lafferty still has 18 months. We should be trying to build a strong team, we will struggle to find a better replacement than Lafferty. We shouldn’t be ripping up the squad yet again. 

Totally agree with this. I'm all for getting beat value for money but if we have no time to get a suitable replacement (which I suspect would be a challenge), how can we seriously expect to succeed on the field if we are constantly turning over players. 

The strength of Aberdeen has come from having a stable core of players and holding onto their best players when possible. 

Let's actually push for Europe and try and win the cup, rather than once again selling one of our most important players and compromise the rest of our season, when we don't need to. 

2 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Who says we are???

The bottom line is ALL our players are for sale at the right price.  If Sunderland make a  unsolicited bid of £2m do you not think the Club have to consider it?

Nothing to add to the thread topic but wanted to add Eammon Bannon's name to the list of players who make the soufflé argument look silly.

John Gentleman

Mrs Mr Lafferty has to agree to any deal too. Agreement is not a foregone conclusion.

5 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Mrs Mr Lafferty has to agree to any deal too. Agreement is not a foregone conclusion.

It will be a sad day when Mrs Lafferty is no longer brightening up section P. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, John Gentleman said:

Sure a wage if £25k/ week will help any agreement.

I agree with the above tho, needs to be a good fee. £1m +

Levein is quoted as saying we are after a striker and a midfielder and that is without Lafferty leaving.

If he goes  I think we need 2 strikers in or our hopes of achieving anything this season in the league or cup are in big trouble.

1 minute ago, ericb said:

Hun at work convinced they are signing him, some story about king having a meeting to set up the deal

1 minute ago, ericb said:

Hun at work convinced they are signing him, some story about king having a meeting to set up the deal

Don't think £50 a week for 17 years will be enough 

Gimme an H...
2 minutes ago, ericb said:

Your work hun is talking utter pony. :thumb:

...a bit disco
2 minutes ago, ericb said:

:lol:

International striker with 18 months to run.

They couldn't even scrape together half a million for the boy from Hamilton.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Not been following the thread much, but I find it hard to imagine Hearts would be looking to offload Lafferty and, at the same time, get rid of Isma and Stockton, unless they were confident of signing a replacement. To, aparently, move heaven and earth to sign Naismith, surely indicates the intention to 'do something' in the second half of the season, something that would not be achievable without a quality main striker. If it's too late to find this new quality striker, then any sale of Lafferty must surely be as a result of an offer Hearts just could not refuse, ie £1m+, and not as the result of behind the scenes problems (because his departure would have been anticipated and accounted for with the retention, or signing, of at least one strker). 

Apparently been chasing a “wow factor” striker for some time in the event of Laff moving on. No names known but what I’ve been told. 

Just now, c41rns said:

Apparently been chasing a “wow factor” striker for some time in the event of Laff moving on. No names known but what I’ve been told. 

told by who?????? doesn't add up, Laffertys goin nowhere!:walk_man:

2 minutes ago, c41rns said:

Lafferty isn't going anywhere so no 'wow factor striker coming.

2 hours ago, Musemic said:

That may well come to pass tomorrow but it could be the only time they play together in a Hearts side.

The bottom line is that every player at every club has a price on their head. 

If we get an offer of anything over £500K for Kyle he'll be away IMO. 

£500k isn’t anywhere near enough. We have had more shite strikers than I care to remember. If we then sell the two strikers we’ve signed that can actually score goals that would be ridiculous.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, c41rns said:

It could be Sow but it would be a big gamble to expect him to produce the same form second time around !

3 minutes ago, JAMMY1980 said:

Lafferty isn't going anywhere so no 'wow factor striker coming.

We will soon find out if you are correct.

3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It could be Sow but it would be a big gamble to expect him to produce the same form second time around !

I can't believe he is still only 27. He should be coming into his prime at that age. Would be worth a try again if we can get him.

Selling Lafferty and Isma would be insane at this stage in the season.

Coupled with the transfers of Walker and Stockton we would have very little options up front. An injury to Naismith would be an absolute disaster. 

It would have to be really crazy money. 

I understand the logic and everything, and I know we can''t ignore good money (if that's what's happening) but I just don't want Lafferty to go. :oldsad:

I've become all fond of him, and I think there's good things to come. It'll be an interesting few days anyway.

Levein said he wants another 2 players in the window, 1 midfielder & 1 striker, if Lafferty goes, which i doubt, hes gonna require 2 strikers, not gonna happen IMO:th_Yawn: 

LAFFERTYS GOIN NOWHERE, not in this window.IMO

Lafferty hasn’t requested a transfer so would get a cut of any fee. A really good offer could be difficult for us and him to turn down. 

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We will soon find out if you are correct.

For the record, I’m not claiming to be correct just passing on what I’ve heard. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I can't believe he is still only 27. He should be coming into his prime at that age. Would be worth a try again if we can get him.

I would just be a bit worried that he has failed to do much at MK Dons. That could be down to the manager though :whistling:

Maybe he is like a couple of players I can think of that shine best when pulling on the maroon! 

1 minute ago, c41rns said:

For the record, I’m not claiming to be correct just passing on what I’ve heard. 

I was replying to Jammy1980.

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I would just be a bit worried that he has failed to do much at MK Dons. That could be down to the manager though :whistling:

Maybe he is like a couple of players I can think of that shine best when pulling on the maroon! 

Some players just fit in at certain clubs. He certainly seemed to enjoy himself first time round.

Folk claiming, or wanting, an Osman Sow return.  I'll say it, I didn't think he was all he was made out to be and wouldn't be in favour of any return.  75% of the time looked like he couldn't be arsed.

This "wow striker" folk are going on about, is £50k per week Naismith not enough??!!

My personal opinion is that Lafferty is going no where. Even if Sunderland come in with a bid they will try and get him for pennies and I really cant see us selling unless they offer £850k plus.

If he is not in the squad for tomorrow then I will be more concerned.

All Out Attack

One way or another we really need to be planning for two new strikers, just in case. 

If we get a wad of money from any Lafferty deal, we need to get the best new forward we can afford. We could then take a chance with an unknown quantity as back up. 

We can't just rely on Naismith on his own, like on Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Folk claiming, or wanting, an Osman Sow return.  I'll say it, I didn't think he was all he was made out to be and wouldn't be in favour of any return.  75% of the time looked like he couldn't be arsed.

This "wow striker" folk are going on about, is £50k per week Naismith not enough??!!

No because Naismith is not a lone striker. In fact I would go as far as to say that he is totally wasted playing up front on his own. He needs another guy to play alongside him to link up with.

18 minutes ago, c41rns said:

14 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Are you seriously suggesting Sow would be a 'wow factor' signing?? 

Wouldn't be a 'wow' for me

Have to think that Sunderland are maybe a red herring here, if he goes it is Far East for decent money. Prefer he stays. 

3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

:lion:

Naismith is not a main front man.  He plays behind or wide of the main front man.

Archived