Genuine question : are Leveins days numbered?

gavinderbayne

4 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

What is your limit then? manager, set up, wages% budgets/ targets......

By going on here, folk will argue over the colour of shite.

The thing is even on a ballet you wont get 100% on anything.

So say there is a 75%-25% split on a matter, you would go with the 75%, as you said above-  you just ignore the majority of foh subscribers? But in this case it would be ok to ignore 25%/ What if that 25% contributes more money or has one seriously big donor?

It terms of alienating the Foh subscribers-, in the above case you may have just lost 25% of your contributions, because their opinion was ignored ( possibly worse than just knowing you are contributing and helping), how many times can you do that before you lose subs, allot?

Surely a chair/ candidate will be elected then put on the board, there is no way a democratic system of falling the majority will work, if we went down that route there would be far more in-fighting, annoyed fans and eventually far less subscribers. It would fall apart very quickly.

Balloting on things how the money is spent is maybe  wise, These would likely be few and far between- anything else is surely just ridiculous.

Also what about the 14k+ season ticket holders, are we saying 8k foh subscribers have more of a say than say a fan that pays his/ her st? There would seem to be around 6k st holders that don't contribute to FoH?

The whole thing would fall apart quicker than  Tory/ Dup pact and in all honesty seems to be an excuse to give angry fans a say on matters that are better dealt with the club and elected Chair folk.

Good points.  Let’s just hope Budge is in charge for another 15-20 years. 

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

Aaaaah, the old and very tired “do you want a say on match day tactics” argument. 

Bit of a strawman argument that one really. Of course the fans dont want or expect a say on those matters and to suggest such is just ****ing stupid. 

But if the club is fan owned then those fans will rightly want a say in the BIG decisions that will be made. 

I really don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine that FOH members may be balloted on BIG matters like club structure, future stadium redevelopment etc, etc. 

As for your remarks which relate to the suggestion that the current management set up saw us out of the championship therefore should be given time now; I think it’s been given time. Quite a sufficient amount. Moreover, it will (unfortunately in my opinion) get even more time, even more transfer windows to affect the appropriate changes. History says it’ll fail. 

I challenge anyone to endorse the DOF model that we currently have after a further two or three years of it being in place. 

I cant see it being successful based on the last two years goings on. 

Dangerous to believe the past will reflect the future. Very seldom happened in the earths history never mind the tech age we live I in now.  No driverless cars to date so none in the future? Did anyone think Leicester would play CL football two years or one year before they did?

4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

If we end up below 6th which I think is a distinct possibilty if he can't make any decent signings in January then I don't think it will make any difference to him or Budge. She seems to have utmost confidence in him and short of relegation I believe he will still be here next season.

The man is an expert in coming up with what can only really be described as excuses. If he does make some signings in January and they fail to improve the team then he will say that they need time to to gel with their team-mates and that he needs the Summer Transfer Window to bring in the players he wants.

I think if he ultimately fails as 1st team coach then he should go from the club completely and not be involved in any aspects whatsoever.

Not a chance we will be be bottom 6 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Dangerous to believe the past will reflect the future. Very seldom happened in the earths history never mind the tech age we live I in now.  No driverless cars to date so none in the future? Did anyone think Leicester would play CL football two years or one year before they did?

Well that’s got me primed for some really decent CL signings in January despite the fact that they’ve mostly been utter shite so far. 

3 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

A few need to make the distinction between

Levien the excellent Centre Half for the Club

and

Levien the mediocre DOF/Manager.

At the end of the day the issue of whether or not he stays on or goes will depend on the number of bums on seats, which in turn will be decided by how good the style of football is that he instructs his team to play.

Excellent DoF until Cathro. Very good Manager first time round. Don’t think. anyone has grounds to say otherwise. . 

Do we give him the chance to address fallout from Cathro?  I vote yes 

2 hours ago, Boab said:

That's the thing, mate. Five year plans....any targets set are fraught with danger. 

The one thing that really annoyed me at the end of the Championship season was the fragmentation of a young side that, potentially, could have gone on to bigger and better things. We'll never know ! To me. it was a mistake of Neilson's to think that he had to " beef up " the team for the return to the top flight. Alan Hansonesque in it's " you'll win nothing with kids " mantra.

We are where we are now because of those decisions.I think CL had a big part in it and, obviously, Cathro so had, in popular opinion, to take over and sort out the mess.

I agree with you, PJ, he doesn't look like he wants to be there. If there is even some truth in that, we are in trouble and could finish any where this season. The only good thing at present is that it can be fixed. I hope for his, and our, sake, he succeeds. I just can't see him stepping aside or changing the management structure so it has to work or we're in the brown stuff.

King, Nicholson, Holt, Gomes, Buaben, Wilson, Zeefuik,  Pallardo et al   How many of those have gone on to prove themselves as SPFL top three players since our championship winning year?  Answer is none.  What makes anyone think that by staying at Hearts it would have been any different. Delusion abounds. 

26 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

Well that’s got me primed for some really decent CL signings in January despite the fact that they’ve mostly been utter shite so far. 

Missed my point completely. . Future isn’t a mirror reflection of the past. Things change   People learn. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

King, Nicholson, Holt, Gomes, Buaben, Wilson, Zeefuik,  Pallardo et al   How many of those have gone on to prove themselves as SPFL top three players since our championship winning year?  Answer is none.  What makes anyone think that by staying at Hearts it would have been any different. Delusion abounds. 

I never said they would. Read my post again. Saying they wouldn't have made Hearts a better team had they stayed is as much a guess.

Central Belt 1874
3 hours ago, Ryder said:

I’d probably prefer a more experienced head coach too, to be fair. Purely on the DoF role though, I’m all for it and think it is important for a club with the number of age groups we have. The Balerno High School set up too.

3 hours ago, socrates82 said:

This where I am. There is a huge amount to do with various link-ups and development and the Academy. With no DoF type role who will do that exactly?

It's possibly Levein took on too much but then we had, and have, a massive rebuilding job to do, including hiring new coaches at every level, as well as manager hires and more player signings that we'd normally expect. I'm sure when that's done the DoF role will evolve accordingly to maybe focus on one or two areas only.

Some really good posts on this thread.

I agree with most of these two posts. The DOF role could be vital in the coming years bringing through youth players and looking after the academy as football will inevitably evolve.

Im not sure Levein has taken on too much, I think it’s more he has/had a plan that he was sticking to religiously which was not going to work in the spl, which was hiring inexperienced coaches. 

Whats wrong with having an experienced manager under a DOF? I’ve thought for some time, pre Robbie leaving, that Budge was more than capable of hiring a manager herself without relying on anyone else and I hope the Daly incident is an inclination of what’s coming after Leveins time is up.

I also think hes he’s not interested but let’s see what happens between now and the summer. He has the skills to turn it around but is the passion and motivation still in him?

Our loan players Smith-Brown & Randall have been a mistake.

Bauben should of been punted 18 months ago.

Cowie should of been punted during the summer.

Nowak is too inconsistent ...Needs to be punted.

Callachan's first 2 games looked ok since then his game has gone to pieces.

Not good enough.

Martin is just not good enough. Needs to be punted.

Stockton has done nothing but needs to get fitter and more game time before being judged. Outlook not good.

Gzelak is probably one of the worst players i've ever seen in a Hearts jersey.

Who is responsible for signing him as he should be sacked. GZELAK PUNTED ASAP.

YES Levein talks about a Left Back, Attacking Midfielder & a Pacey Left Winger well Craig i'm afraid we need quite a few new signings because under your stewardship we have a lot of players that should not be at our club.

Hey Craig you have been in the press saying we now are going to have a new beginning. Have you been asleep since we came out of the Championship. All these poor signings and players we should of got rid of tells me Craig Levein is a bad judge of a player or he has been sleeping on the job.

Now what about Cathro ? Let's just say Craig messed up big time.

The next 8 weeks will test the fans patience to breaking point unless Craig Levein delivers.

Over to Craig.

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

Not good enough.

Stockton has done nothing but needs to get fitter and more game time before being judged. Outlook not good.

YES Levein talks about a Left Back, Attacking Midfielder & a Pacey Left Winger well Craig i'm afraid we need quite a few new signings because under your stewardship we have a lot of players that should not be at our club.

Hey Craig you have been in the press saying we now are going to have a new beginning. Have you been asleep since we came out of the Championship. All these poor signings and players we should of got rid of tells me Craig Levein is a bad judge of a player or he has been sleeping on the job.

The next 8 weeks will test the fans patience to breaking point unless Craig Levein delivers.

Over to Craig.

But apart from that......all good, bud ?

1 hour ago, Boab said:

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Oh aye all's fine and dandy. Big Craig Levein has got everything under control i'm sure.............eh well maybe, then again fingers crossed, miracles do happen don't they ?

28 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Oh aye all's fine and dandy. Big Craig Levein has got everything under control i'm sure.............eh well maybe, then again fingers crossed, miracles do happen don't they ?

In football they do occasionally. The fact is that Craig is going no-where soon so he’ll be getting my backing to turn things around. 

Big Slim Stylee
4 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Not good enough.

Over to Craig.

You must be one of the angriest men I've never met.

Seymour M Hersh
On 21/11/2017 at 16:59, Thomaso said:

Not sure if you are intentionally missing the point.

The Hearts support is massively divided over Levein's football strategy for our Club - some really don't like it - some do.  This is causing a very unhealthy atmosphere, over and above normal differing opinions on past Managers.

Hope that's clear.

It certainly is on kickback but throughout the much wider Hearts support I'm not so sure. Around me in the new stand I heard no dissenting voices about Levein directly and only one irc, at Murrayfield. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It certainly is on kickback but throughout the much wider Hearts support I'm not so sure. Around me in the new stand I heard no dissenting voices about Levein directly and only one irc, at Murrayfield. 

Not my experience of the wider Hearts support. Most fans I know would rather he was removed from the club because they feel he has too much influence over all that goes on. Generally, most people are agreed that the football is eye bleedingly bad and struggle to see what Levein is actually watching, given some of his post match analysis comments.  I think that will manifest itself into louder protests if the poor performances and results continue. A lot of fans like myself were not particularly enthused by his first trophyless spell at the club. Levein won't be granted any more time than Cathro was, nor should he be. Both had 3 year contracts that mean nothing.  The club is crying out for a fresh approach to the football structure with a proper manager with a proven ability to win trophies being installed.

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

In football they do occasionally. The fact is that Craig is going no-where soon so he’ll be getting my backing to turn things around. 

Levein is coming out with more excuses with him using the press telling them it will take 2 more transfer windows to sort the team out. What the hell are we paying for. All he is doing is playing for time when other clubs are getting their head down, working hard and leaving us behind.  I'm not moaning by this news i'm spitting nails at his lazy attitude.

25 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Levein is coming out with more excuses with him using the press telling them it will take 2 more transfer windows to sort the team out. What the hell are we paying for. All he is doing is playing for time when other clubs are getting their head down, working hard and leaving us behind.  I'm not moaning by this news i'm spitting nails at his lazy attitude.

Robinson at Motherwell with limited experience seems to have  done a great job in one single transfer window.

6 hours ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

You must be one of the angriest men I've never met.

This is our club we're talking about. Our club is not just underperforming, playing dreadful football, boring the fans, wasting hundreds of thousands of pounds of our money it is in deep trouble with fans ready to demand change. managed by a man with his hand picked cronies who are not up to the job. He wants 2 more transfer windows ...how many Hearts fans have confidence in Levein and going by his record so far not many.  This is one gamble that he must get right or be prepared for one long period of pain.

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Robinson at Motherwell with limited experience seems to have  done a great job in one single transfer window.

Motherwell and Killie are good to watch now because of their managers.

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I disagree Dave. If , for example, he loses the next 4 home games then he will be out the door. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Motherwell and Killie are good to watch now because of their managers.

Mother have 2/3 good, dynamic players, once moult and cadden go, watch them drop again.

Killie got a lift, let's see where they end up.

Neither, imo will be above us at the end of the season.

Nothing is going to change before January. You can chose whether you watch us with a view that we'll get better, or continue your slow decent into Madness which reads on here like the "Fallen down" script

Eitherway nothing can or will change until January.

This idea that we have no chance of finishing fourth is far more of a “loser attitude’ than the one being levelled at the club. Anyone who can’t see that we are just two or three decent signings away from a good team is choosing not to see it.

16 hours ago, Ryder said:

I also happen to think that the Director of Football role is ideal for a club our size. 

A DOF like Jim Jefferies, a popular figure  in the game with great contacts and a proven record of getting to finals and winning a cup....Yes.  a DOF like Craig Levein.. No thanks.

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I disagree Dave. If , for example, he loses the next 4 home games then he will be out the door. 

That would change the parameters but I’m assuming he won’t. 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

A DOF like Jim Jefferies, a popular figure  in the game with great contacts and a proven record of getting to finals and winning a cup....Yes.  a DOF like Craig Levein.. No thanks.

Dont give a shit if our DoF is popular within the game tbh. I like Jefferies though, and have no issue with him coming back to the club in some capacity. Legend in my eyes, but so is Levein.

28 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We will see.

Not able to see the wood for the trees springs to mind wavydavy. I really hope for all our sake, believe it or not, that Levein starts today taking Hearts to the top of Scottish football because i just can't see Ann Budge sacking Levein and his bootroom staff. All Hearts supporters want the same a winning Hearts team full of good talented footballers playing a brand of attacking football that scores lots of goals. Now is that so hard to want in the Scottish Premiership. I don't think so.

Just now, Ryder said:

Dont give a shit if our DoF is popular within the game tbh. I like Jefferies though, and have no issue with him coming back to the club in some capacity. Legend in my eyes, but so is Levein.

I think that Jefferies in an advisory role, (to Budge) and dealing with budgets, contract negotiations etc with a first team manager in sole charge of first team affairs, would be ideal . 

I can separate Levein the player from Levein the manager. In my eyes He comes nowhere near legendary status as a manager. Jordan, Laszlo, Levein yeah, they did OK. Sergio, Jefferies, Burley delivered far more than Levein and could be afforded legendary status

8 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Mother have 2/3 good, dynamic players, once moult and cadden go, watch them drop again.

Nothing is going to change before January. You can chose whether you watch us with a view that we'll get better, or continue your slow decent into Madness which reads on here like the "Fallen down" script

A good manager doesn't blame his players. Why are Hearts getting worse.

Players hardly never blame the manager but the fans can. Wanting more tme and more transfer windows has me feeling My Heart Bleeds For Levein.

26 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

If nothing is going to change before January then it strikes me that "all" members of the clubs management, with responsibility for footballing aspects, are failing in their jobs. We can little afford to continue as we are for the next 6 or 7 games.

If nothing else they collectively require to ensure that everyone who plays in the 1st team plays with commitment and win 2nd balls. This has to happen today and the next game etc. before we worry about January windows.

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

If nothing is going to change before January then it strikes me that "all" members of the clubs management, with responsibility for footballing aspects, are failing in their jobs. We can little afford to continue as we are for the next 6 or 7 games.

If nothing else they collectively require to ensure that everyone who plays in the 1st team plays with commitment and win 2nd balls. This has to happen today and the next game etc. before we worry about January windows.

Being at home and injuries clearing up, imo will see an improvement in results.

We aren't getting ant players until January.

Cl ain't getting punted before January, if before the he summer.

You can chose his you spend the festive period, in a football sense.

Look forward to our home run or continue to regurgitate the same issues that can't be fixed until January anyway.

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

A good manager doesn't blame his players. Why are Hearts getting worse.

Players hardly never blame the manager but the fans can. Wanting more tme and more transfer windows has me feeling My Heart Bleeds For Levein.

We aren't getting worse.

We've improved since the LC and Cathro.

Even the 1-1 was an improvement on the previous 3 games.

6 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Being at home and injuries clearing up, imo will see an improvement in results.

We aren't getting ant players until January.

Cl ain't getting punted before January, if before the he summer.

You can chose his you spend the festive period, in a football sense.

Look forward to our home run or continue to regurgitate the same issues that can't be fixed until January anyway.

I have no idea how to respond to your post as it seems not to refer to any of the issues raised in mine. 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think that Jefferies in an advisory role, (to Budge) and dealing with budgets, contract negotiations etc with a first team manager in sole charge of first team affairs, would be ideal . 

I can separate Levein the player from Levein the manager. In my eyes He comes nowhere near legendary status as a manager. Jordan, Laszlo, Levein yeah, they did OK. Sergio, Jefferies, Burley delivered far more than Levein and could be afforded legendary status

I can separate the two as well. Levein was a legend player. He is not a legendary Hearts manager, but he was an extremely good one, particularly in European competition.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

I have no idea how to respond to your post as it seems not to refer to any of the issues raised in mine. 

It does.

Clearly I think being at home and having a full squad will improve results, this would be a change.

If we don't and we lose the majority then like everything cl will face he consequences.

We can't change personal until January- in other words  we'd be better getting behind the players as we ain't getting any new ones until at least then.

6 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

It does.

Clearly I think being at home and having a full squad will improve results, this would be a change.

If we don't and we lose the majority then like everything cl will face he consequences.

We can't change personal until January- in other words  we'd be better getting behind the players as we ain't getting any new ones until at least then.

The above now confirms my last post but thank you for your input and that's the end of that. HHGH

kingantti1874

Anyone who thinks we haven't improved since levein took over are brain dead.. wr absolutely have.. we at least have structure and shape, the players dont look constantly confused And results are better.. 

Have we improved enough..  clearly not.. And he's got a lot still to prove.. but if we are looking for the main reason we are shite then look at how much more Aberdeen are spending on players compared to us .. nearly £3m per annum.. £60k per week.. there's your answer.. 

1 hour ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We aren't getting worse.

We've improved since the LC and Cathro.

Even the 1-1 was an improvement on the previous 3 games.

Hello is there anyone home......

Thought not.

15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Anyone who thinks we haven't improved since levein took over are brain dead.. wr absolutely have.. we at least have structure and shape, the players dont look constantly confused And results are better.. 

Have we improved enough..  clearly not.. And he's got a lot still to prove.. but if we are looking for the main reason we are shite then look at how much more Aberdeen are spending on players compared to us .. nearly £3m per annum.. £60k per week.. there's your answer.. 

Anyone who thinks we have improved under Levein is deluding themselves. At least we tried to pass the ball under Cathro and we looked likely to and DID score more goals under him. Anyone fancy us to beat Rangers 2-0 at Tynecastle under Levein???

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

Hello is there anyone home......

Thought not.

Great counter.

Insightful and shows my statement is false.....

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Anyone who thinks we have improved under Levein is deluding themselves. At least we tried to pass the ball under Cathro and we looked likely to and DID score more goals under him. Anyone fancy us to beat Rangers 2-0 at Tynecastle under Levein???

Aye.

I'd also like take us to draw at Peterhead.. at least.

Just now, BigDave'sHeed said:

Aye.

Yes, the long diagonal punts will have them quaking in their boots right enough.

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

This idea that we have no chance of finishing fourth is far more of a “loser attitude’ than the one being levelled at the club. Anyone who can’t see that we are just two or three decent signings away from a good team is choosing not to see it.

As Hearts fans we all want our team to finish as far up the league as possible however we have to be realistic and at the moment we are to all intents and purposes a bottom six side.

Now hopefully that will change if we can bring in a few inspired signings in January but we all know that this is not the best time to bring players in but we can always hope.

CL is already covering his back by saying he will need two transfer windows to get in the players he needs.

2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Great counter.

Insightful and shows my statement is false.....

Your statment is false is it. 

Wow

2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Aye.

I'd also like take us to draw at Peterhead.. at least.

I wouldn't fancy our chances against any team that presses us whether it be Peterhead or BigDavesHeed

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

As Hearts fans we all want our team to finish as far up the league as possible however we have to be realistic and at the moment we are to all intents and purposes a bottom six side.

Now hopefully that will change if we can bring in a few inspired signings in January but we all know that this is not the best time to bring players in but we can always hope.

CL is already covering his back by saying he will need two transfer windows to get in the players he needs.

Let's be realistic. Since we came out of the Championship with the odd exception we have been mince. Levein and his chosen men are just not up to the job.........simple !

25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Take Berra out of that team and we will really struggle even more than we are at the moment.

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Let's be realistic. Since we came out of the Championship with the odd exception we have been mince. Levein and his chosen men are just not up to the job.........simple !

If you read most of my posts you will see that I agree.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I wouldn't fancy our chances against any team that presses us whether it be Peterhead or BigDavesHeed

Bigdavesheed utd play a slow build up play, total Football. No one has a chance. Anyhoo I'm off to watch the game.

Archived