Genuine question : are Leveins days numbered?

gavinderbayne

gavinderbayne

I wondered genuinely if we are likely to see another change of manager if things don't start to improve soon. I feel a bit perplexed about our managerial situation.  We seem to have gone from the Cathro experiment of a manager with no experience to a manager with lots of experience who's been out of front line managing for a while and we are still stuttering with inconsistency and unable to hold a lead. I'm interested to hear opinions about the way forward. 

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scott herbertson

He’s only just started, so no (although if you are picky everyone’s days are numbered)

There is is a clear milestone coming up in the Hibs cup game. Lose that then yes, I would say the peg his jacket is on will be wobbly to say the least. Before then I think he’s fairly safe. 

A factor to be consider given his contract length is it will cost a fortune if you want himout of the club altogether 

6 minutes ago, gavinderbayne said:

I wondered genuinely if we are likely to see another change of manager if things don't start to improve soon. I feel a bit perplexed about our managerial situation.  We seem to have gone from the Cathro experiment of a manager with no experience to a manager with lots of experience who's been out of front line managing for a while and we are still stuttering with inconsistency and unable to hold a lead. I'm interested to hear opinions about the way forward. 

Yes....and so are yours on here!  :lol:

2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

He’s only just started, so no (although if you are picky everyone’s days are numbered)

There is is a clear milestone coming up in the Hibs cup game. Lose that then yes, I would say the peg his jacket is on will be wobbly to say the least. Before then I think he’s fairly safe. 

A factor to be consider given his contract length is it will cost a fortune if you want himout of the club altogether 

To say nothing of the fact he's a director...

Selkirkhmfc1874

Not in my opinion , he gotta be given at the very least the January transfer window and see how performances are after winter break 

Captain America

Craig Levein will get until at least the end of the season. Only reason he won't be here at season's end is if he walks himself.

I don't think he is the right man for the job. A clear out of the coaching staff is needed imo but I see very little point in shouting from the rooftops over and over about it as at this point I can't see it changing anything. 

I am happy to give him more time. I know he has it in him to turn things round (although not convinced his heart is in it).  At this stage however it may as well be Ian Cathro in charge as that is how awful we are.

No, he's taken over a mess, one that while he has to take plenty responsibility for he has also not had any time to try and fix it.

When he came in things got better. We then lost too many midfielders to injury and results suffered.

We need players in and players out. The only way any manager is going to fix the squad is to shift 2-3 midfielders and sign some steel and creativity. A left back as well. 

No. He will see out his contract unless HE decides otherwise. I have no problem with this provided he gets the passion back that we know once existed.

He is more than capable, with time, of making us a team that's hard to beat but whether the style of play we adopt to achieve this is to everyone's liking I would doubt very much.

There is no future in having Levein as manager. It is only a matter of time before he is completely removed from the club. The only question is how much damage will be done in the meantime.

27 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Safe, regardless of the eight games before the cup tie?  If he loses these eight games, you think he will still get the cup tie?

letsalldothebeattie

No simple as. He’s been given a 3 1/2 year deal and is our director of football so no. Levein will only go when Levein wants to go! And even when that is it’ll be to step into the DoF role permanently again

End of the season -at least. 

There is no way Budge will sack Levein unless things are so bad that we are in severe relegation trouble. 

Which, I find highly improbable. 

7 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Safe, regardless of the eight games before the cup tie?  If he loses these eight games, you think he will still get the cup tie?

We aren't going to lose the next 8 games FFS. 

Yes things aren't great but for the love of God get a bloody grip. 

See the obsession with a Cup tie against Hibs is gathering pace already.

It's going to be a long few months on here.

7 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

So on what evidence do you think we will win any of these games?

Ross County (better and more organised than Partick)

Hamilton (beat Rangers and Hibs away and Aberdeen at home)

Motherwell (better than both the above)

Dundee (lost already to them this season but could go either way)

Celtic (no need to comment)

St Johnstone (A) (usually struggle)

Hibs (struggled in every game against them recently)

Aberdeen (can you see us beating them?)

6 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

The next two will be a very good pointer as to how well we are going to do.

One thing we know for sure if that Ross Co and Hailton will have a hell of a lot more fight in them than we will.

They also have midfield players that actually want to go forward with the ball or make forward apsses into feet something we are sadly lacking.

1 minute ago, bobskeldon said:

Bang on Bob unfortunately. Pretty sad state for our club to be in but as I said in another post the next two home games are very important for us and if we don't win then we could be in big trouble.

It's almost as if we are trying to do what Hibs did in concentrating far to much on the stadium at the expense of the team on the pitch or possibly more importantly the person running the footballing side of the club.

His future will hinge on the cup tie if we haven’t seen progress and gained reasonable form in the league.

I think it’s unfair to say he deserves the bullet if we settle down in the league and lose the cup tie though.

Its just one of those things. If we hadn’t drawn H1b5 people would be happy to give him the January window to acquire a couple of players to steady the ship and see where we go.

What if we keep stumbling in the league but win the cup tie?

The bottom line is we want to see Hearts become competent and consistent again and that’s the only thing that will keep us happy.

Do the above and we’ll beat the tramps.

25 minutes ago, U.S Maroon said:

There is no future in having Levein as manager. It is only a matter of time before he is completely removed from the club. The only question is how much damage will be done in the meantime.

We unanimously said this after the game on Sunday. He will be removed sooner or later (summer we all thought but the run of games around Christmas and now the Hibs draw makes it possibly sooner than that) but how much damage is he going to be allowed to cause. Is he going to get a window ? 2 windows god forbid ? Can he actually make things worse by letting him have a January window ? I certainly wouldnt want him getting a summer window if he's finished bottom 6.

3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Football doesn't really work like that though does it but I'll play along. 

Hamilton and Ross county (beaten both away already this season) 

Motherwell (narrow loss away) 

Dundee (should have won, more than enough chances) 

Celtic (you are indeed correct here but that's the same for everyone) 

St Johnstone (beaten them already and they looked worse than us at murrayfield) 

Hibs (obviously I'm not looking forward to that) 

Aberdeen (probably won't beat them as things stand) 

1 hour ago, gavinderbayne said:

It’s new players we need not a new manager!!!!!!! Give the man a chance!!!!

A_A wehatethehibs

It’s going to be all about the January signings. There’s no way we’re improving before then even with mourinho in charge so he is in charge of our January window. It is make or break for him. 

He once had an eye for a player, signed a lot of good players for us in the early 2000s on a small budget. Only time will tell if he can repeat that.

It's so clear that he is done here and the club needs a new man in to completely change the mood and mentality of the club, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone with Hearts' interests at heart cannot see that.

He isn't the man to turn this round and he is not bigger than the club.

Not at the moment but he needs to win 12 points at the very least before the end of the year, otherwise the pressure will mount from the support.

That's a big ask at the moment. 

I sort of half believe in him to turn it around, the other half is saying he's finished as a manager and this isn't going to work.

Just now, RudiHMFC said:

It's so clear that he is done here and the club needs a new man in to completely change the mood and mentality of the club, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone with Hearts' interests at heart cannot see that.

I know you can’t understand why people can have a different opinion from you.  He certainly isn’t bigger than the club, no one is,  but I fully expect him to be here after the January window. 

5 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

One thing is clear, and that is Levein is a totally divisive figure at our Club - and that just is not healthy.

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I know you can’t understand why people can have a different opinion from you.  He certainly isn’t bigger than the club, no one is,  but I fully expect him to be here after the January window. 

Only stupid people think Levein will take us forward, I will be right again, he's done.

Forget January windows, we only need this we only need that, it's all bullshit he needs to go.

I know most are of the opinion that we give him to January, but what happens if/when we lose at the weekend? He would surely be looked at and the situation assessed? They look not too bad this season and we are horrendous.

59 minutes ago, C-3PO said:

Craig Levein will get until at least the end of the season. Only reason he won't be here at season's end is if he walks himself.

I don't think he is the right man for the job. A clear out of the coaching staff is needed imo but I see very little point in shouting from the rooftops over and over about it as at this point I can't see it changing anything. 

Let's not kid ourselves here. It matters not a jot about the 3 yr contract.  If, for example, he loses the next 3 games he will be out before Christmas. People seem to think he is infallible because he used to play for us. Bizarre. Ann will act the minute the booing starts, the same as she did with Cathro 

3 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Only stupid people think Levein will take us forward, I will be right again, he's done.

Forget January windows, we only need this we only need that, it's all bullshit he needs to go.

Nothing wrong with having your opinion, but you don't HAVE to be a condescending prick about it. 

I'll put money on there are plenty people waaaay smarter than you who are still behind him

5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

One thing is clear, and that is Levein is a totally divisive figure at our Club - and that just is not healthy.

Who was the last manager, Coach or DoF who wasn’t “divisive” likes? Genuine question. You could roll that out to everyone who’s ever worked for the club directly or indirectly in fact. 

Bit of an odd line in the sand for getting getting rid of staff imo. “Divisive”? Quick, somebody get rid! :rofl:

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Give him the january window, see if the personnel and tactics improve.

If not, oot!

We may well sign some better players, but what makes you think Levein will ever change his safety first tactics???

If we struggle on like we have, it will become very uncomfortable for Levein.

The fans will turn on him big time, the atmosphere will become toxic, and like it or not, the support will vent their fury on him.

Not sure if Levein is thick skinned enough or his heart is in it to take any sustained abuse. Not saying it’s right, but the games against Hibs are huge for Levein, the frustration is in simmer mode for now, if Hibs do us again, it will be a step to far for most. Once the fans of any club turn against their manager, it seldom ends well.

Captain America
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Let's not kid ourselves here. It matters not a jot about the 3 yr contract.  If, for example, he loses the next 3 games he will be out before Christmas. People seem to think he is infallible because he used to play for us. Bizarre. Ann will act the minute the booing starts, the same as she did with Cathro 

I would love to agree with you but I can't see Ann getting rid of him this season unless relegation is a possibility. 

This regime seems to be trying to show themselves as far away from the Romanov as possible and we all know Vlad loved a sacking. 

Usual suspects jumping all over the thread with their wee snide comments.

Some people really need to find other things to do during the day to keep themselves busy.

8 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Who was the last manager, Coach or DoF who wasn’t “divisive” likes? Genuine question. You could roll that out to everyone who’s ever worked for the club directly or indirectly in fact. 

Bit of an odd line in the sand for getting getting rid of staff imo. “Divisive”? Quick, somebody get rid! :rofl:

What a silly comment Laughing Boy!

Everybody had different opinions on the likes of JJ, Sergio, and even Csaba, however none of them generated the polar opinions of Levein that Hearts fans hold.

He divides our support massively and that is unhealthy, which was my point.

4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

We may well sign some better players, but what makes you think Levein will ever change his safety first tactics???

I would actually have no issue with his safety first attitude if it worked but it doesn't even work. At least when Csaba Frail did it he actually made it work.

Results are what matter regardless who is in charge and Craig Levein Will get them as much as that disappoints a number of posters on here.

2 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

Results are what matter regardless who is in charge and Craig Levein Will get them as much as that disappoints a number of posters on here.

Why would any Hearts fans be disappointed if Levein was getting results???  That is plain stupid!

The Future's Maroon
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Yes....and so are yours on here!  :lol:

Pretty much my thoughts, both points. ?

Just now, Thomaso said:

What a silly comment Laughing Boy!

Everybody had different opinions on the likes of JJ, Sergio, and even Czaba, however none of them generated the polar opinions of Levein that Hearts fans hold.

He divides our support massively and that is unhealthy, which was my point.

Yes they did. Jordan, Clark, JJ, Levein, Robertson, all divided opinion. Even Burley was openly criticised on here... Valdas, Csaba... all divided opinions... Paulo Sergio... To make out this is unique to Levein is extremely churlish. I can’t think of one manager in our history that didn’t divide opinion. Maybe Doddie, but I was pretty young at the time and there was no online platform for these sort of empty-vessel echo chamber campaigns to gather momentum, so he may have been too.

Archived