Sectarian singing

Selkirkhmfc1874

yabadabadoo1874again
12 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm sure those who see nothing wrong with our fans singing the Billy Boys would equally have no problem with our Catholic fans getting together and belting out some Celtic 'party songs' modified in the most minor way possible to include the word 'Gorgie'.

Oh lordy.  Simple yet a great post!!!

Torpedo directly into the midship of the candypants island community with their faux it doesn't  bother me act.

Many bigots lost at sea says the Daily Mail.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm sure those who see nothing wrong with our fans singing the Billy Boys would equally have no problem with our Catholic fans getting together and belting out some Celtic 'party songs' modified in the most minor way possible to include the word 'Gorgie'.

I remember Hearts fans singing hullo

hullo when Celtic visited and Hail Hail when Rangers visited.

Just to wind them up.But we sang both songs for a while.

Also remember us singing follow follow and forever and ever .

12 minutes ago, yabadabadoo1874again said:

Oh lordy.  Simple yet a great post!!!

Torpedo directly into the midship of the candypants island community with their faux it doesn't  bother me act.

Many bigots lost at sea says the Daily Mail.

You should look up the meaning of the word bigot.

Btw wtf is the candypants island community.

6 minutes ago, jake said:

Ditto.

weekend offender
28 minutes ago, jake said:

Aye but our version of "Hail Hail "had No Surrender in it, and we also sang hail hail the popes in jail hanging from the rafters dirty fenian b######. 

zoltan socrates
32 minutes ago, jake said:

Yes it was just to get it up whoever we were playing

21 hours ago, Mr Benn said:

Officially no, but unofficially? It was certainly a part of my experience growing up and going to games in the 70s and 80s. I have no time for it, but I would be reluctant to say that it was never a part of how many supporters viewed the club. That number is dwindling and they can't disappear fast enough for my linking.  

Unofficially, yes of course there were, and are,  fans who seem to think we’re the Edinburgh version of Rangers, but we’re not and they are wrong. It’s bizarre, but it’s on the way out.

1 minute ago, weekend offender said:

Aye but our version of "Hail Hail "had No Surrender in it, and we also sang hail hail the popes in jail hanging from the rafters dirty fenian b######. 

It didn't at first.

But yes it did go that way.

Mind when stv would show up and we would sing BBC and Archie McPherson.

Or Arthur Monford.

Guess what I'm saying is why can't we just hate and wind up whoever is visiting.

Section G The Place To Be
10 hours ago, jake said:

:spoton:

We also sung some pretty dodgy songs that nowadays would have Budge closing the place down. 

Like you say our songs were determined by who the opposition were, for the simple reason to wind them up as much as possible. Something that's been lost from the support now.

I'm more offended that 14000 The Rangers fans can belt out songs that are on the banned list and nothing is done about it. Nothing from Police Scotland nothing from Mrs Budge. Yet when one of our fans called a player an Irish prick instead of laughing the complainer out of court the fan was prosecuted and criminalised for the most minor of abuse.

There was also the Partick Thistle fans who were prosecuted for singing a mildly abusive song about the old firm.

This could be easy sorted if the Police had the guts to sort out the OF bigots and go through some of the CCTV from Saturday but I won't hold my breath.

It's much easier for them to pick on some random fan from a smaller club to fill in their tick list.

The thing is, the IRA are irrelevant now, so absolutely no point to these songs on both sides. Be more relevant singing about ISIS. It’s a pity that a lot of our young team have got involved with all this rubbish, as they bring a good support and atmosphere generally. 

We_are_the_Hearts
1 hour ago, Koolkeith said:

The thing is, the IRA are irrelevant now, so absolutely no point to these songs on both sides. Be more relevant singing about ISIS. It’s a pity that a lot of our young team have got involved with all this rubbish, as they bring a good support and atmosphere generally. 

So is Proud Edwards army but that gets belted out every Scotland game. I agree btw that politics and religion should be left out of football but its getting to the point where I would be happy for the fans to sing anything to lift the complete boredom library feel. We will be losing young fans all the time as its feckin boring. At least when we had a poor day in the 80s/90s you had the shed and the antics to make it a day out.

Also remember "Come and have a go" and "your gonna get your fxxxxxx head kicked in".

No very PC. 

I truly don’t care what any supporters sing at a match. Could be about me, my religion, my club or my family. Sing away.

I don’t understand why someone would care about a song they hear. You hear people shouting stuff like ‘break his leg’ or ‘ref you’re a ******. Yet there’s hardly a single thread about it on here or anyone in the ground saying it’s out of order. It’s all fair game to me if it winds up opposition fans or players.

Maybe we’d all be happier in a stadium with no aggression, wind-ups, offensive language or passion?

People look to be offended, to have something to moan at. It’s the thing to do nowadays.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I truly don’t care what any supporters sing at a match. Could be about me, my religion, my club or my family. Sing away.

I don’t understand why someone would care about a song they hear. You hear people shouting stuff like ‘break his leg’ or ‘ref you’re a ******. Yet there’s hardly a single thread about it on here or anyone in the ground saying it’s out of order. It’s all fair game to me if it winds up opposition fans or players.

Maybe we’d all be happier in a stadium with no aggression, wind-ups, offensive language or passion?

People look to be offended, to have something to moan at. It’s the thing to do nowadays.

By that logic we should come up with a couple of racist songs to wind the opposition fans/players up. Or maybe one slagging off Islam, that'll wind people up. 

I know those are absurd examples and not what you meant by your post. But in my view sectarianism should be viewed in as much disregard as racism, sexism, anti-semitism etc and it feels like other people (not saying yourself) don't view it on that same level. It's maybe why we have such debates on this forum about sectarian singing because of people's varying opinion on how 'wrong' it is. 

To me it's a totally separate issue from chanting "you fat *******", "the referee's a ", "**** off you prick" etc yet there seem to be people on this forum who take the statements against sectarian singing as "nothing should be heard at the football apart from polite applause, praise and cheering at a goal". 

I am not religious and hearing sectarian singing does not offend me in the slightest. It doesn't mean I don't want it stamped out of our game though. The fact that religion is not really as much of a factor in today's society makes its prevalence in Scottish football even more absurd tbh.

weekend offender
16 hours ago, jake said:

It didn't at first.

But yes it did go that way.

Mind when stv would show up and we would sing BBC and Archie McPherson.

Or Arthur Monford.

Guess what I'm saying is why can't we just hate and wind up whoever is visiting.

Ha ha aye. I'm all for hating every team home and away esp at home it canny be hostile enough.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
On 31/10/2017 at 09:13, Ray Gin said:

Au contraire. Religion is dying. Most young people see religion as an absolute joke these days, and the numbers are growing. We are already seeing change.

as predicted in the scriptures

it's only part of the story though but doesn't sound like you realise that

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

as predicted in the scriptures

it's only part of the story though but doesn't sound like you realise that

Indeed. Thuggery, Imperialism, arrogance and ignorance, not too mention union flag tattoos and beer bellies are still with us, and will be for some time.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Indeed. Thuggery, Imperialism, arrogance and ignorance, not too mention union flag tattoos and beer bellies are still with us, and will be for some time.

not sure where that's relevant to my post but anyway on the subject of union flags etc im wondering if you acknowledge the great strides made within our support over the last 30 years

There's so many missing the point here.

It doesn't matter if you care or not. They break the law every single time they pitch up at an away ground...Both of them. Inside and out the grounds, but absolutely nothing is done. Any other team/fans would be hammered for what they get away with.

That's what pisses me off. What they actually sing I couldn't give two shits, it's the double standards that wind people up. The media and authorities are too blame and for as long as they get away with it they'll just carry on.

MacDonald Jardine
7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

There's so many missing the point here.

It doesn't matter if you care or not. They break the law every single time they pitch up at an away ground...Both of them. Inside and out the grounds, but absolutely nothing is done. Any other team/fans would be hammered for what they get away with.

That's what pisses me off. What they actually sing I couldn't give two shits, it's the double standards that wind people up. The media and authorities are too blame and for as long as they get away with it they'll just carry on.

What double standards wind people up?

Basically people just want to see someone arrested. 

I thought that in general our support had left sectarian stuff in the past , it seems to be creeping back in again sadly, Middletons before the derby was full of it. Hope it doesn’t become a problem because we don’t need it. 

MacDonald Jardine
22 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

I thought that in general our support had left sectarian stuff in the past , it seems to be creeping back in again sadly, Middletons before the derby was full of it. Hope it doesn’t become a problem because we don’t need it. 

I think in general it has but there are still elements. 

Having said that when were you last in Middletons before a derby? That's always been the kind of place you'll hear it.

42 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I think in general it has but there are still elements. 

Having said that when were you last in Middletons before a derby? That's always been the kind of place you'll hear it.

Must admit it was my 1st time being in there, not sure I will go again though, not due to the songs I’m thick skinned, trying to get served was a nightmare, better off staying in town or getting a carry out. 

23 hours ago, weekend offender said:

Lol

In Dublins fair city where the girls are so pretty I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone.

I miss the days when songs were sung and nobody analysed them.

I accept the arguments against my statement but it was a fekin barry time .

Yeeeeeeeeezsssssssss

N Lincs Jambo

Watched the game on telly on Saturday and I'm pretty sure at one point I heard the huns singing "There's only one team of proddies!" (If I'm wrong happy to be corrected) but the thing is I remember one game back in the 80s when they would have had 11K in the Gorgie terrace, they sang that as if to goad us. Despite coming from a pseudo Catholic family with an RC Celtic supporting dad, I loved it and joined in when we sang back "you dirty fenian *******s!".

Just in case anyone doesn't get it, I will spell out that Rangers are the only ones I would have given that treatment to - as a wind-up and by Christ did it work that day.

48 minutes ago, jake said:

In Dublins fair city where the girls are so pretty I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone.

I miss the days when songs were sung and nobody analysed them.

I accept the arguments against my statement but it was a fekin barry time .

Yeeeeeeeeezsssssssss

As she wheeled her wheelbarrow through streets broad and narrow

singing= JAM TARTS  JAM TARTS

I loved that song.

MacDonald Jardine
7 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Watched the game on telly on Saturday and I'm pretty sure at one point I heard the huns singing "There's only one team of proddies!" (If I'm wrong happy to be corrected) but the thing is I remember one game back in the 80s when they would have had 11K in the Gorgie terrace, they sang that as if to goad us. Despite coming from a pseudo Catholic family with an RC Celtic supporting dad, I loved it and joined in when we sang back "you dirty fenian *******s!".

Just in case anyone doesn't get it, I will spell out that Rangers are the only ones I would have given that treatment to - as a wind-up and by Christ did it work that day.

"One team of proddies" and "you're not prodded any more " used to really wind them up after they signed Mo Johnston. 

2 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

"One team of proddies" and "you're not prodded any more " used to really wind them up after they signed Mo Johnston. 

More Tims than Celtic had them quite irked in the 90's.

A good example that most people aren't raving bigots, just on the day wind ups. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
5 hours ago, Boab said:

More Tims than Celtic had them quite irked in the 90's.

A good example that most people aren't raving bigots, just on the day wind ups. 

I used to love that chant against them. :lol: Sure it was more in the 00's though, when they had a team full of Spaniards & Italians. 

Incidentally, a Rangers fan I know told me he was raging at "Walking away is the Rangers way" last season. :lol: So it doesn't necessarily have to be offensive to wind them up.

12 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Can remember No pope of Rome getting belted out against one team only. Again just a wind up 

That was definitely sang more often than at two games a year. 

8 hours ago, Ill Ray said:

I used to love that chant against them. :lol: Sure it was more in the 00's though, when they had a team full of Spaniards & Italians. 

Incidentally, a Rangers fan I know told me he was raging at "Walking away is the Rangers way" last season. :lol: So it doesn't necessarily have to be offensive to wind them up.

I always thought Aberdeens fans were very good (if thats the appropriate term!) at wind up/nasty songs. 

On 02/11/2017 at 11:13, Koolkeith said:

Been over there to confirm?

8 hours ago, Ill Ray said:

it just takes a wee bit of creativity sometimes

something like this

(to the tune of winter wonderland)

your club died, you didn't back them

they almost fried, we should have f..... them

If it happens again

you didn't die in vain

you never even existed after all

(needs a wee bit of work right enough :)

8 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

it just takes a wee bit of creativity sometimes

something like this

(to the tune of winter wonderland)

your club died, you didn't back them

they almost fried, we should have f..... them

If it happens again

you didn't die in vain

you never even existed after all

(needs a wee bit of work right enough :)

and the 2nd verse is

They shut u down, you cannot see it

you don't exist, we all believe it

you ran out of luck

and it's funny as f...

so sing along and enjoy our little song

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, zoltan socrates said:

Whos going to stArt a thread about where the cornette went?

stArt? Aye aye, who's just in from the pub then?

:pleased:

On 11/2/2017 at 19:33, upgotheheads said:

Mine is actually a food belly now, dont drink.

Archived