Sectarian singing

Selkirkhmfc1874

I don't get offended by Sectarian chants. Just like I don't get offended by racist ones. 

However, I realise that they are out-dated and have no place in today's society and should be stamped out by the football authorities. Those who dismiss the sectarian chants as "just let the old firm be the old firm" are just as bad as those singing them imo. Those who are moaning about the inability to sing sectarian songs ruining the atmosphere need to get a grip. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:12, 132goals1958 said:

Didn't bother me as  I have come to accept the low intelligence /intellectual capacity as a common denominator whenever the bigot brothers come to town.

Spot on. I have said this on other forums that I can't stand your average knuckle dragging loathsome OF supporter, but Hearts had a home crowd of nearly 33,000 on Saturday 14,000 of whom were Rangers supporters who collectively paid in the region of £350,000 to the Hearts, which will hopefully be reinvested in the club.

22 hours ago, obua said:

Anyone who thinks it’s only weegie bigot scum has never followed hearts away from home.

Bump,a few posters have gone quiet.

MacDonald Jardine
6 hours ago, GiantJambo said:

Let's face it, people who sing sectarian songs without being aware that the Pope and and King Billy were on the same side in the Siege of Derry in 1690 belong in the same dustbin as the ones who thing Hibs have always been a Catholic team and Hearts a Protestant one (as opposed to Leith v Edinburgh).

They're thick as mince and no amount of discussion, legislation or policing will make the slightest difference. They'll still be around. The best you can hope for is that they'll find tiddlywinks more interesting. Which might just happen until someone works out a way to beat Celtic.

The siege of Derry did not take place in 1690.

25 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

No it was 1689.1690 was the battle of the boyne.

Fozzyonthefence
31 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

So important to you that you had to correct the poster for the sake of a year? Who gives a toss apart from the knuckledraggers that were in the North Stand? And our “traditional “ fans of course.

13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

So important to you that you had to correct the poster for the sake of a year? Who gives a toss apart from the knuckledraggers that were in the North Stand? And our “traditional “ fans of course.

And before u start on me I did I quick google search.Im not keen on our traditional fans either.

Doctor FinnBarr
36 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I'm a big fan of British/Irish history mate and I do find the years quoted as interesting, I'm not a bigot before you sling that my way

Opposition fans sing hostile songs!!!

Clearly there are posters on here that have never attended a Hearts away game.

As my granny taught me "sticks and stones..."

MacDonald Jardine
7 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It is a bit ironic, coming in a post about other's' ignorance of historical fact.

What astounds is that if the authorities really wanted to crack down on it then they could easily use technology to observe 1 or 2 sections of the Celtic/Rangers support with a high level of accuracy and then prosecute after. 

Woth regards to Rangers - think they sang one song about their team in 70mins - the rest wasn’t football related. Pathetic.

All roads lead to Gorgie
43 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

What astounds is that if the authorities really wanted to crack down on it then they could easily use technology to observe 1 or 2 sections of the Celtic/Rangers support with a high level of accuracy and then prosecute after. 

Woth regards to Rangers - think they sang one song about their team in 70mins - the rest wasn’t football related. Pathetic.

When I'm at a game my thoughts are totally on the football and not on historical battles or religious differences. I like history and try to improve my knowledge of various countries and cultures at every opportunity but at a football match it is just comical behaviour to start singing about it. I know nothing has changed at the OF so no point of us getting upset, we should just sit back and let them continue to make fools of themselves.

Too many snowflakes on here to give a honourable mention too. I will just say this 

You should never forget history. Religion has everything and nothing to do with football. ( accurate contradiction) 

Regarding hearts. We are steeped in history. Religious beliefs are diverse. 

Nothing will ever change (no matter how many times you highlight it) Don't come on here and say you are offended.  it's been going on since the club was formed 143 years ago.

9 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Too many snowflakes on here to give a honourable mention too. I will just say this 

You should never forget history. Religion has everything and nothing to do with football. ( accurate contradiction) 

Nothing will ever change (no matter how many times you highlight it) Don't come on here and say you are offended.  it's been going on since the club was formed 143 years ago.

Au contraire. Religion is dying. Most young people see religion as an absolute joke these days, and the numbers are growing. We are already seeing change.

Section G The Place To Be
11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Au contraire. Religion is dying. Most young people see religion as an absolute joke these days, and the numbers are growing. We are already seeing change.

And the irony being those apparently not interested in religion certainly like to voice their opinions on the subject.

Our club has been sterilised to the point people are afraid to sing or shout now because we have way too many snowflakes ready to have a pop at them. Mainly on here because they haven't the balls to say it to anyones face at the time.

7 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

And the irony being those apparently not interested in religion certainly like to voice their opinions on the subject.

Our club has been sterilised to the point people are afraid to sing or shout now because we have way too many snowflakes ready to have a pop at them. Mainly on here because they haven't the balls to say it to anyones face at the time.

If you don't sing or shout at a game because of what someone you don't know might say on an internet forum, that's equally as precious as getting offended by a chant at the football. I don't get this excuse at all  when used for a lack of atmosphere. 

Just now, KineticBeat said:

If you don't sing or shout at a game because of what someone you don't know might say on an internet forum, that's equally as precious as getting offended by a chant at the football. I don't get this excuse at all  when used for a lack of atmosphere. 

I don't think its because people are bothered what idiots online say. More what the club has been doing in its relentless pursuit of turning Tynecastle into this warm, fuzzy, cuddly, friendly ground where opposition feel equally at home. Some of the bans given and statements from the club re our fans have been way OTT and bordering ridiculous.  That's what people are more concerned about.

2 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

I don't think its because people are bothered what idiots online say.

That's what you alluded to above.

4 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

I don't think its because people are bothered what idiots online say. More what the club has been doing in its relentless pursuit of turning Tynecastle into this warm, fuzzy, cuddly, friendly ground where opposition feel equally at home. Some of the bans given and statements from the club re our fans have been way OTT and bordering ridiculous.  That's what people are more concerned about.

Most definitely this. 

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

That's what you alluded to above.

True I did actually. I should have said more. 

4 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

Yep, it's the haste at which Budge has dealt with the Mixu and Magennis incidents that cause concern.

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 minutes ago, KineticBeat said:

The snowflakes are those that throw hissy fits when the stupidity of sectarian singing is brought into question. Tynecastle can be a rocking place when everyone gets their voices together with songs that reflect us as a club. Other clubs are better at coming up with something new so I wish we had a young team doing that right now.

6 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

This times 1000. 

Tynecastle used to be a fortress where we had more than 2 songs In the book to sing. 

Players do help. We have no leaders 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep, it's the haste at which Budge has dealt with the Mixu and Magennis incidents that cause concern.

I think both those incidents perhaps say as much about society as a whole as they do about Hearts.

The mixu incident was reported by an SFA official / 'observer' was it not? And with the Magennis one, was that not brought about on the back of a complaint made to the police by the player?

Both utterly laughable incidents which were blown out of all proportion. But when made a big deal of by other parties, the club probably had to be seen to take action.

Its a sad state of affairs.

12 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

Absolutely nailed it there 

1 minute ago, Erik said:

I think both those incidents perhaps say as much about society as a whole as they do about Hearts.

The mixu incident was reported by an SFA official / 'observer' was it not? And with the Magennis one, was that not brought about on the back of a complaint made to the police by the player?

Both utterly laughable incidents which were blown out of all proportion. But when made a big deal of by other parties, the club probably had to be seen to take action.

Its a sad state of affairs.

The club could, and should have been more supportive of the supporters. 

Remember how Hibs reacted when Rudi spoke about abuse at ER? If that was us and concerning, say, Murray, Ann would have apologised, told the support off and banned a few. 

3 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Remember how Hibs reacted when Rudi spoke about abuse at ER? If that was us and concerning, say, Murray, Ann would have apologised, told the support off and banned a few. 

I kinda agree with the point yeah for sure - and I would agree (and im sure I said as much at the time of both) that the club perhaps needed to have the back of those concerned.

My point was more around the fact that it was allowed to be utterly blown out of proportion by folk not connected to the club. Its tragic that in this day and age folk like the SFA observer and indeed Magennis were given any credibility whatsoever for those incidents. Both should have (rightly) been laughed at.

2 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I'd agree with this. In the past the club would have defended the supporters (Up To a point) but now we have even been used as scapegoats by other teams because they know Budge will back them before the clubs own fans. Dundee Utd situation springs to mind. 

People said years ago Budge was getting our house in order first before going after the gruesome twosomes set of fans for their behaviour at Tynecastle. Well Ann had the perfect opportunity Last season to hammer Celtic and show them up for what their fans really are and she bottled it. Why? Was it to keep friendly with Liewell and the SPFL to get onto the board? 

5 minutes ago, Erik said:

I kinda agree with the point yeah for sure - and I would agree (and im sure I said as much at the time of both) that the club perhaps needed to have the back of those concerned.

My point was more around the fact that it was allowed to be utterly blown out of proportion by folk not connected to the club. Its tragic that in this day and age folk like the SFA observer and indeed Magennis were given any credibility whatsoever for those incidents. Both should have (rightly) been laughed at.

I totally agree that it is sign of the age we live in. However, other clubs would not have acted as we did, not a chance. Hibs even defended their fans after the cup final!! How do you think we would have handled that? 

6 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

I'd agree with this. In the past the club would have defended the supporters (Up To a point) but now we have even been used as scapegoats by other teams because they know Budge will back them before the clubs own fans. Dundee Utd situation springs to mind. 

People said years ago Budge was getting our house in order first before going after the gruesome twosomes set of fans for their behaviour at Tynecastle. Well Ann had the perfect opportunity Last season to hammer Celtic and show them up for what their fans really are and she bottled it. Why? Was it to keep friendly with Liewell and the SPFL to get onto the board? 

Ann could also have commented upon the Rangers fans singing past week. She didnt. 

29 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The snowflakes are those that throw hissy fits when the stupidity of sectarian singing is brought into question. Tynecastle can be a rocking place when everyone gets their voices together with songs that reflect us as a club. Other clubs are better at coming up with something new so I wish we had a young team doing that right now.

I do too. It's just a shame our young team shot themselves in the foot. 

1 minute ago, KineticBeat said:

True, although it was a minority that spoiled it. I still believe though the whole situation could have been handled better. The impression given was the club were gunning for the young team from day one and gave no quarter. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I can see the point in the club doing its best to stop any up swing in intolerant behaviour manifesting itself in mass chanting, we should be a club for anyone no matter their beliefs after all but heat of the moment comments from individuals is another thing completely and in these cases some club statements have been ott. The banter between fans on opposite sides is what keeps the atmosphere going when games are dull as is having a go at the officials and players who get too big for their boots and start throwing the toys from the pram. A lot of us are holding back from that now just in case Ann takes offense.

11 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

True, although it was a minority that spoiled it. I still believe though the whole situation could have been handled better. The impression given was the club were gunning for the young team from day one and gave no quarter. 

I think this is very true, the club were watching them like school teachers from the start and were just waiting to ban them.

I still dont think they did that much wrong at all, especially not in football fans terms. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
17 minutes ago, KineticBeat said:

It was not just the silliness of knocking off hats and stealing drums that killed them, it was the antagonising of sections G and N when no one joined in songs that no one there knew in the first place. I hope the idea of a standing section in the Gorgie is not dead in the water to give it another go with more success and a better song book.

Winston Ingram

Was there some incident at Haymarket on Saturday post match? Loads of police swarming about circa 7pm. 

6 minutes ago, Winston Ingram said:

Was there some incident at Haymarket on Saturday post match? Loads of police swarming about circa 7pm. 

curtain twitcher

18 hours ago, obua said:

No it was 1689.1690 was the battle of the boyne.

My apologies to all for the slip – Obua's quite right of course, and quite right to point it out.

I think you all get my point, though. Sectarian chanting is for lower primates.

Stephane Grappelli
On 29/10/2017 at 19:43, The White Cockade said:

always have to laugh when the usual suspects come out with the "why are people offended with what Rangers supporters sing"  easily offended mantra

they are the ones usually frothing at the mouth going when the Celtic hordes come calling and sing their jolly repertoire of "folk" songs

hopefully the majority of us detest the sectarianism of both these sets of supporters and more importantly the way both Clubs have never clamped

down on it and of course how the SFA and Scottish League total ignore it

Bang on the money sir.  As one of my mates said to me, the folk on here who don't have a problem with those songs probably wish that we sang them too.

I know it's a subject that keep coming up and will always be there.I personally will hold my hands up and say I've sang them all back in the day.As a 14 year old in a crowd I liked the tunes and thought it was something to noise up the other supporters.A pensioner now,more sense.Im sure there's a few out there like me.I grew up.

11 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

I know my history. Hearts have never been aligned with any particular religion or sect. Neither have they ever excluded members of any religion.

if you can prove otherwise, I’ll shred my season ticket and follow another team.

2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

I know my history. Hearts have never been aligned with any particular religion or sect. Neither have they ever excluded members of any religion.

if you can prove otherwise, I’ll shred my season ticket and follow another team.

Excellent post.

5 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Officially no, but unofficially? It was certainly a part of my experience growing up and going to games in the 70s and 80s. I have no time for it, but I would be reluctant to say that it was never a part of how many supporters viewed the club. That number is dwindling and they can't disappear fast enough for my linking.  

I'm sure those who see nothing wrong with our fans singing the Billy Boys would equally have no problem with our Catholic fans getting together and belting out some Celtic 'party songs' modified in the most minor way possible to include the word 'Gorgie'.

zoltan socrates
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm sure those who see nothing wrong with our fans singing the Billy Boys would equally have no problem with our Catholic fans getting together and belting out some Celtic 'party songs' modified in the most minor way possible to include the word 'Gorgie'.

The fields of south Dalry?

We_are_the_Hearts
19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I would. Be much better than the current deathly silence! Going to watch Hearts home games is what I imagine Community service is like. Just a ****in chore with no reward, nothing!

Archived