Fraud at Hearts ( edited )

Jeff

21 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

If customer information has been compromised as Hearts hadnt informed those affected then they would be liable.

no way 3 has happened imho.

If 3 had happened Hearts would need to notify the data commissioner, or whatever they are called nowadays. They would then insist the club contacted those impacted. 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Barack said:

Be a bit embarrassing for some, if that’s the case.

”Aye, but Budge should’ve foreseen an attempt. Needs to get her McAfee sorted!”

What's MacPhee got to do with this ............

On 13/10/2017 at 21:39, Tazio said:

I have a friend who who's main job as a freelancer is checking for double paid invoices in companies. The first company he got a contract with was B&Q and he discovered almost £1m of it in one financial year. Mistakes happen.

A good example that even big companies are not always great at financial control. If B&Q had someone like your friend working full time perhaps these mistakes would have been avoided.  Your right human error does happen, good systems can identify when this happens... double payment of invoices is a pretty basic mistake and can be picked up using basic software.

Hearts are not that complicated a business and being a small company it is easier to manage our finances.  The fraud we suffered makes it pretty clear we need to improve our financial control.....  whilst it’s only £80k.... that is almost equal  1 months contribution for FOH. Hopefully and I expect Hearts have made changes to prevent this happening again.

Whilst we need to move forward, we need to recognise that off the field we are making avoidable mistakes and we need to improve. 

I was at a cyber fraud conference in London earlier this year and was given a copy of this booklet. Would recommend it to both individuals and companies.

Where I work if we have a request to change a suppliers banking we always contact the company through our tried and tested channels to confirm first.

https://www.met.police.uk/globalassets/downloads/fraud/little-book-of-cyberscams.pdf

The below case study is quite common. We have had several unsucccesful attempts.

director fraud.JPG

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:39, Jammy T said:

If we lost cash it is another loss from the construction model we entered into....

Well known fraud in construction business.

Fraudster gets headed paper of contractor. Sends letter to client advising of change of banks - new bank account is accessible by fraudster. Client pays money to new account without checking with contractor accounts team directly - money lost and contractor still due money.

Might be covered by insurance but I'd expect any decent sized company to have fraud protection measures in place.

Another bollock dropped re stand build if money gone.

:wtfvlad:

Geoff Kilpatrick
54 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

:wtfvlad:

Jammy T has a job in construction. That's important.

:rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, hydeparkhearts said:

It may be incorrect but it is obvious what he's on about.

Pretty much what I said and it's not just construction. You have to have a risk management policy in place when you should challenge requests from suppliers to change banking details. 

Not it sure what the fraud Hearts were victim of but get the feeling it could be this. 

If so so have we paid the original supplier their £80k?

80k on single incident with a business predicting a £12m annual turnover probably isn't worth mentioning until accounts released.

In Hamilton's case 750k (albeit over a longer sustained period) against a low single 7 figure turnover definitely is worth reporting to stakeholders / shareholders.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

80k on single incident with a business predicting a £12m annual turnover probably isn't worth mentioning until accounts released.

In Hamilton's case 750k (albeit over a longer sustained period) against a low single 7 figure turnover definitely is worth reporting to stakeholders / shareholders.

I'm guessing Hearts went public to help warn others once the Hamilton news came out. 

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm guessing Hearts went public to help warn others once the Hamilton news came out. 

Probably.

There is also the chance Hearts knew that our one was about to come in to the public domain (Sun and CQN) and put out that more or less ' no comment' statement.

There is no connection between the two incidents unless i missed something clearly someone was going to run with the Hearts story so they elected to do it first.

Bridge of Djoum
On 10/14/2017 at 05:15, Ryder said:

Great news that we weren't affected. Maybe Hamilton arrange a fundraising match? Hopefully not against us though, playing them 3/4 times a season is enough of an injury and suspension risk. They could raffle off McKinnon and Imrie's boots afterwards.

Might raise more auctioning off the hammers and blades they keep down their socks.

On 14/10/2017 at 03:50, Ryder said:

You catch many criminals in your time? 

I'm no cop. Senarios help. Where there is fraud always look to the companies workforce first then on to all who had access to information regarding the fraud. If the cops commit 100% to finding the criminals responsible for the theft they will be caught. The lesson being for Hearts is check once, check twice and check again when dealing with large amounts of money. 

• 1 month later...

32 year old man charged. Not sure if same incident but I’d imagine so. Not sure the ins and outs. Evening News will tell us next week.

...a bit disco
1 hour ago, Ryder said:

Hope it’s Sergey. :)

See if the boys name is Moffat?

I will actually pish my skideroos.

Just now, ...a bit disco said:

See if the boys name is Moffat?

I will actually pish my skideroos.

Would love that. Just seems a bit too thick to attempt something like that. His “Dear Mr Gustas” letter will probably be his everlasting epitaph.

...a bit disco
2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Would love that. Just seems a bit too thick to attempt something like that. His “Dear Mr Gustas” letter will probably be his everlasting epitaph.

Don't come tramping over my Bridge Of Serenity and spoil Happy Island please.

5 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Don't come tramping over my Bridge Of Serenity and spoil Happy Island please.

:rofl:

I’ve probably tweeted Kevin more times than I have anyone else in the last two years, he’s a comedy genius in his own sad and unintentional way. 

Archived