Fraud at Hearts ( edited )

Jeff

I am now expecting that the club formely known as Rangers will be the unsuspecting victims of this style of scam when they pay the ticket money due to us for the Murrayfield game into a certain Dave king owned IT company account.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gorgie rd eh11
8 minutes ago, Mike Tyson said:

Of course they can be, but it is frustrating that it was an avoidable error such as ordering seats. 

I do realise now that there may be reasons we did delay the fraud news, so that’s fair enough.

Aye “there may be reasons”.    :laugh:

Carl Fredrickson

It may not have been an internet fraud. If I were to hazard a guess, working in Finance, I would say as has already been mentioned, it is possibly a fake invoice. We receive them at my work - an invoice that is made out from a known and trusted supplier, the only difference is that the bank details differ. Most firms will be using software that stores customers bank details and if they differ from the invoice, you would contact them for confirmation. The fraudsters only need to get a couple of folk who dont check this and they are quids in. 

37 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Massive loss for a club of Hamilton's size,deserve sympathy.

this......    Hibs and Hearts are genuinely angered by scumbags

attacking the teams....  But Hamilton could be destroyed.

All! Pull together......... Football is everything for so many........

That's my heart.....

7 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Sorry thats a lot of shite huge companies are defrauded regularly.

Nah your mistake is to assume that all big companies are all well run.  Lots of big companies are managed badly.

12 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

You have no idea, nor anyone else on here, if individuals are at blame in this case. It might have been completely electronic or hacking.

Someone posted earlier that it was an individuals mistake (a different individual who was to blame for the seats, albeit I am guessing here). 

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, hueyview said:

this......    Hibs and Hearts are genuinely angered by scumbags

attacking the teams....  But Hamilton could be destroyed.

All! Pull together......... Football is everything for so many........

That's my heart.....

Quite right.

The Hamilton thread was in the main pathetic, and looks a bit ridiculous now.

9 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

I am now expecting that the club formely known as Rangers will be the unsuspecting victims of this style of scam when they pay the ticket money due to us for the Murrayfield game into a certain Dave king owned IT company account.

If THE Rangers suddenly find money . . . ???

3 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Nah your mistake is to assume that all big companies are all well run.  Lots of big companies are managed badly.

And some arent and still fraud occurs. 

3 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Strangely enough, the Hamilton thread isnt quite so popular now.... 

You still on that...

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I had a look over on Hibs.net following a previous post.

It's pathetic, but given the lack of any rivalry between us the Hamilton thread on here is probably worse. 

2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

And some arent and still fraud occurs. 

Agreed.... but when you add this to some of the other off field problems it doesn’t look great.  We need to up our game. 

15 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

It may not have been an internet fraud. If I were to hazard a guess, working in Finance, I would say as has already been mentioned, it is possibly a fake invoice. We receive them at my work - an invoice that is made out from a known and trusted supplier, the only difference is that the bank details differ. Most firms will be using software that stores customers bank details and if they differ from the invoice, you would contact them for confirmation. The fraudsters only need to get a couple of folk who dont check this and they are quids in. 

Wouldn't surprise me. Given it happened earlier in the year could be another screw up on the Stand project. Possibly another example of poor project management. Maybe not. 

I apologise if this is controversial, but one of the things that concerns me the most is that at least three football clubs in this country appear to have been scammed in recent months. I would have hoped, in a perfect world, that the first club to be scammed would have contacted all the other clubs, probably through the SPFL/SFA, and warned them about this. It could have been done anonymously from the point of the SPFL/SFA onwards. Perhaps this was done, I have no idea. If so, clubs really need to up their game in this respect. If not, it should have been.

Just gonna come out and say it. I don't give a **** if Hamilton have been defrauded. 

Hearts? Yeah, not good. Hope we get it sorted out.

sorry. I'm a bit of a ***** sometimes.

Footballfirst

We don't know when this happened, but if as suggested the processing of invoices was the source of the problem, then it suggest that there are weaknesses in the process and a lack of checking mechanisms or rigour in those checks. 

In the Annan fraud, SPFL funds were sent to the fraudsters account instead of the club's, and all clubs were subsequently warned.  If Hearts was hit before the Annan incident, then I think the information should have been shared with other clubs at least as soon as the Annan  event happened, rather than wait until yet another club has been hit.  It also maybe that the Hamilton fraud has been a trickle feed out of their accounts for a number of months, but I think that it is much better being open about it and having other clubs being aware of the scams that are going on than trying to keep a lid on it and have another club impacted.

been here before
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I apologise if this is controversial, but one of the things that concerns me the most is that at least three football clubs in this country appear to have been scammed in recent months. I would have hoped, in a perfect world, that the first club to be scammed would have contacted all the other clubs, probably through the SPFL/SFA, and warned them about this. It could have been done anonymously from the point of the SPFL/SFA onwards. Perhaps this was done, I have no idea. If so, clubs really need to up their game in this respect. If not, it should have been.

They were acoording to the BBC...

The SPFL warned clubs in August to guard against online fraud, after Annan failed to receive an £18,000 payment from the league at the end of last season.

The funds had been paid into a fraudulent account and police launched an investigation after the money was retrieved.

54 minutes ago, Meadows said:

Have to admit that a club owned by an IT tycoon being a victim of internet fraud is a tad surprising. 

It also shows how clever and sophisticated this type of theft is !

Its normally not that clever or sophisticated. The hackers prey on human weaknesses to get why they need. 

Just now, Ryder said:

Just gonna come out and say it. I don't give a **** if Hamilton have been defrauded. 

Personally I'm against fraud in all its guises. It's a nasty crime that can leave people's lives in ruin. In this case, if the worst scenario comes to fruition, it might bring a football club down.

Empathy is important in this complex world of ours. As we've just found out, for lots of things that happen in life, "it could be us".

MacDonald Jardine
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'd assume they were but I'm not convinced it would make much difference either way. 

Fxxx the SPFL
38 minutes ago, Mike Tyson said:

Of course they can be, but it is frustrating that it was an avoidable error such as ordering seats. 

I do realise now that there may be reasons we did delay the fraud news, so that’s fair enough.

Aye simples it's called a police investigation

1 minute ago, been here before said:

They were acoording to the BBC...

The SPFL warned clubs in August to guard against online fraud, after Annan failed to receive an £18,000 payment from the league at the end of last season.

The funds had been paid into a fraudulent account and police launched an investigation after the money was retrieved.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. However there are different kinds of fraud, and it is evolving all the time - the details of how each new one is perpetrated should be swiftly shared with all clubs so that they can try to protect themselves as best they can.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Personally I'm against fraud in all its guises. It's a nasty crime that can leave people's lives in ruin. In this case, if the worst scenario comes to fruition, it might bring a football club down.

Empathy is important in this complex world of ours. As we've just found out, for lots of things that happen in life, "it could be us".

I know. They're insured though right? If so, I'm not overly bothered for them. I'm not a big fan of the club.

If they aren't insured then that's obviously different.

MacDonald Jardine
7 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Sometimes?

Just now, MacDonald Jardine said:

Sometimes?

Completely uncalled for. Argue the point, not the man.

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

We may have been the first club scammed. Hamilton were scammed after a warning went round the clubs about the vishing scam.

17 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I had a look over on Hibs.net following a previous post.

It's pathetic, but given the lack of any rivalry between us the Hamilton thread on here is probably worse. 

You and bb never miss a chance to have a go at Hearts and our fans do you. 

MacDonald Jardine
Just now, redjambo said:

Completely uncalled for. Argue the point, not the man.

Aye okay. 

My initial post was "Yes you are", which probably was more on the point. 

10 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Not giving a **** is better than those who openly laughed at them. Oh, and then stopped when it was announced that we were also a victim of the same thing.  

Not saying it is in this case but this might have happened given that everyone knows we're building a new stand? 

https://www.cafonline.org/charities/caf-insights/caf-bulletin/summer-2017/phishing-scams

One recent case involved a local sports club which fell victim to fraudsters who targeted its volunteer treasurer. The criminals sent emails designed to look as if they had been sent by the chairman of the club, requesting payment for building works from reputable firms. These emails contained account numbers and sort codes for several bank accounts.

The treasurer, a retired accountant, was aware that the club was planning to refurbish the pavilion, so approved payments from the club’s bank account totalling nearly £30,000. However, the receiving bank accounts were actually controlled by the fraudsters, which is an increasingly successful scam commonly referred to as CEO Fraud.  

2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I know. They're insured though right? If so, I'm not overly bothered for them. I'm not a big fan of the club.

If they aren't insured then that's obviously different.

As far as I'm concerned, even if a club or person is insured, fraud is still a nasty crime. The immediate effect of having been scammed and losing money can usually be taken on board by a company (perhaps not by the individual involved in the error if it wasn't a systematic failure) but to an individual person who has been scammed it can be psychologically devastating, an unwarranted invasion. Also, even if insurance is in place, there could well be knock-on effects such as the cost of short-term financing before the insurance payout as well as raised premiums in the future.

1 minute ago, XB52 said:

Sometimes Hearts fans are dicks. Read the Hamilton thread (now quiet) & the Jamie Walker ones for evidence. 

J.T.F.Robertson
36 minutes ago, slashishere said:

More frauds on here than anywhere!

Fraudian slips?

Just now, Barack said:

Whereas, Rangers fans’ are always dicks, and will have a go at anyone. At anytime. Like Celtic fans.

And so the world keeps on spinning.

Funnily enough, our fans often act like OF fans: laughing at smaller clubs having financial problems, calling clubs meaningless and that they should merge in order to be worth recognising etc etc. 

It is pathetic behaviour. 

MacDonald Jardine
6 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Off hand I'm struggling to think of any post of mine that has criticised the Hearts fans as a group, as opposed to certain expressions of opinion on here.

As for the club, if I think they're in the wrong, I'll say so. 

I don't see anything wrong with that.

In fact I think it's healthy. 

8 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Sometimes Hearts fans are dicks. Read the Hamilton thread (now quiet) & the Jamie Walker ones for evidence. 

Go post on your own teams forum then.

Bazzas right boot

Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Stand shortfall, mmm insurance?

Eh, is this direct line, someone stole £2m , in notes. The door is burst open, honesty.

Guy with a swag bag and a stripey tap walked in, CCTV, well it been disconnected due to the works.

£2m just gone

.. do you send it by Bacs or cheque.

1 minute ago, Oliver Twist said:

Really?? If you are unable to debate/discuss  (evidenced by your "email the club!!" trolling), then dont bother commenting. People on here know I am Hearts. 

6 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Off hand I'm struggling to think of any post of mine that has criticised the Hearts fans as a group, as opposed to certain expressions of opinion on here.

As for the club, if I think they're in the wrong, I'll say so. 

I don't see anything wrong with that.

In fact I think it's healthy. 

Can we get back on topic this thread isnt about you or BB.

Just now, BigDave'sHeed said:

Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Stand shortfall, mmm insurance?

Eh, is this direct line, someone stole £2m , in notes. The door is burst open, honesty.

Guy with a swag bag and a stripey tap walked in, CCTV, well it been disconnected due to the works.

£2m just gone

.. do you send it by Bacs or cheque.

What are you talking about ? 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Bit harsh but BB does himself no favours.

As for Jardine MacDonald, I don't believe he's a Hearts fan.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Jamboelite said:

What are you talking about ? 

Pish, just having a joke at our expense.

Too early!

Reminded me of a m8 who smashed up his TV to get a new one under the insurance.

He thought t was all covered as he had the warranty, he smashed up his TV, the insurance agreed to come out and assess the situation.

His TV was a Sony. So was his dvd player. It was the dvd player warranty he had, not the TV one.

Classic

41 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I just had a look at that thread for the first time and although there are some unsympathetic posts the majority do feel sorry for them.

Maybe the Mods got there before me and cleaned it up.

Let's just hope that the latest cases are not just the tip of a large iceberg.

2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Agreed. We're getting pretty distracted from the matter in hand, the fact we've been defrauded out of a significant sum of money. Of course, there's not much we can do about it except offer our support to the club, and to the individual involved if relevant, and hope that measures are put in place, and continually updated, to avoid anything like this happening again.

Owning an IT company is a broad term. She owned a testing consultancy company. It’s like saying you work in the car industry and people expecting you to know how to fix a car. 

MacDonald Jardine
4 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

No it isn't. 

Am I meant to ignore posts directly aimed at me though?

Just now, Bowmans_Boot said:

Really?? If you are unable to debate/discuss  (evidenced by your "email the club!!" trolling), then dont bother commenting. People on here know I am Hearts. 

I don't discuss/debate with charlatans.

I'll comment on what I like concerning anything I like.

Nice to know your Hearts, whatever that means.

I can't be the only person who opened this thread expecting it to be about Oshinawa! We can survive an 80 grand hit although I'm sure there's insurance for this stuff.

With Hamilton, you'd hope the SFA and football community in Scotland would rally around if they genuinely get into trouble as a result of a crime against them. You'd hope...

Archived