Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Much ado about nothing.

Theresa May is a stupid woman.

Belligerently stupid in fact. 

For balance Corbyn is a total walloper.

The political class these days have no class. Utterly useless, the whole lot of them.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

If she called him a stupid man it wouldn't be an issue. Nothing wrong with what he said. 

I listened to some of the chat when the Speaker ruled "no action" and after Jeremy Corbyn gave his statement. One older Tory MP said it would be crazy to try to stop MPs saying things under their breath. 

But it will be interesting as some of things said get published over next few days. 

"Go back to Skye" being also pretty mild. 

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The EU has published its No Deal plan with arrangements covering the main areas.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-6851_en.htm

Interesting. Sounds like a transition period.

No cliff edge or crashing out on 30/3?

No grounded aircraft?

No lorries queuing on the M20 or at Calais for weeks?

The EU not self harming?

Quelle surprise.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No grounded aircraft?

The EU not self harming?

Quelle surprise.

Will be interesting to see some analysis. Some things will change. Duties will need to be paid, checks on goods done. So lorry queue is still on. But the lorries can enter EU territory. Relies also on each individual nation adopting these proposals. 

Edited by Mikey1874

The Mighty Thor
11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No grounded aircraft?

The EU not self harming?

Quelle surprise.

Not the case at all. There was a Dutch official on the radio today who said average checks at schipol airport were currently 25 seconds. That will increase 2 or 3 fold post brexit. So if it takes 75 seconds per check per person that makes the queues significantly longer and much more inconvenient.

Extrapolate that out on freigh = gridlock.

No unicorns. No moonbeams. Real world inconvenience and self harm. 

23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No grounded aircraft?

The EU not self harming?

Quelle surprise.

Only if it is reciprocal.

Just watching a news story about the alarmingly large use of a Hartlepool food bank.      Maybe the suddenly animated Tory MPs will be outraged about that.        

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It will be.

Hope so. But do you see the Brexiteers accepting free movement of people, post brexit?

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Not the case at all. There was a Dutch official on the radio today who said average checks at schipol airport were currently 25 seconds. That will increase 2 or 3 fold post brexit. So if it takes 75 seconds per check per person that makes the queues significantly longer and much more inconvenient.

Extrapolate that out on freigh = gridlock.

No unicorns. No moonbeams. Real world inconvenience and self harm. 

Would be interesting to know what checks he or she is talking about and how his or her calculation is made.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Hope so. But do you see the Brexiteers accepting free movement of people, post brexit?

It isn't about free movement of people. But if it was for a transition period yes, at least most of them would.

Just now, Francis Albert said:

It isn't about free movement of people. But if it was for a transition period yes, at least most of them would.

It is. It's everything brexit is all about. Sovereignty is bogus.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Just watching a news story about the alarmingly large use of a Hartlepool food bank.      Maybe the suddenly animated Tory MPs will be outraged about that.        

The need for foodbanks is a national disgrace.

But (I will be hammered for this but it is a fact) the demand for free giveaways cannot be equated to the need.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

But (I will be hammered for this but it is a fact) the demand for free giveaways cannot be equated to the need.

Fact aye?     Or prejudiced guess?

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It is. It's everything brexit is all about. Sovereignty is bogus.

In your opinion it may be everything but it really isn't.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Fact aye?     Or prejudiced guess?

Common sense.

And the most basic understanding of human nature.

Edited by Francis Albert

In your opinion it may be everything but it really isn't.

See your food Bank post above.

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Aye people go to food banks cause they're dishonestly greedy. That's the worst statement I've read on here for a while.  Behave yourself.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Ah.  Common sense.

You said "fact" though.    Let's see the fact then.

A fact discernable by applying common sense.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye people go to food banks cause they're dishonestly greedy. That's the worst statement I've read on here for a while.  Behave yourself.

You think that never happens?

Imagine people claiming to have lived in grenfell to get free housing and compensation. 

You heard it here folks.    

The application of sensible thought processes can generate facts.    Let's not put any more resources into criminal forensic investigation and that.

In my opinion I have seen the post I posted?

In your opinion folk are professional beggars. You obviously don't know what people have to do to have their only visit to a food Bank. Or do you think they all just turn up every day with their hand out.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

You think that never happens?

Imagine people claiming to have lived in grenfell to get free housing and compensation. 

Christ almighty!

It's worse.    I think the sentiment is that,   because a small or tiny percentage abuse things or engage in dishonesty,    the substantive issue is somehow diminished or negated.

Braw.    Rare.

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We would have used foodbanks if they had existed in the 70s. 

We didn't have enough to eat but my Mum and Dad made the sacrifices. 

What might not be known by some is that Foodbanks don't just give out food. Every person has to give reasons. They know as much about their customers as any business. So they can provide information on how foodbank use relates to other changes e.g. in benefits subject of course to how any two events can be affected by other events and circumstances.

Going back to my first point, like anything if it exists it will be used more. 

Francis Albert
Just now, Victorian said:

It's worse.    I think the sentiment is that,   because a small or tiny percentage abuse things or engage in dishonesty,    the substantive issue is somehow diminished or negated.

Braw.    Rare.

The need for foodbanks is a national disgrace. The first sentence of my first post on the subject.

5 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Come on, stop this. Folk are quite right to point it out and also point out how certain things seem to be accepted in Westminster. There was no need for it regardless of who is was directed to or what that person has or hasn't ever done. If you replace the location with somewhere else that wasn't on our islands there would have been outrage. There should be no difference. 

I'm genuinely baffled why you're being dismissive of it. Why not just call it our for what it was? No one is suggesting parliament devotes a day of debate to it so folk can continue to fry the big fish. 

The SNP have spun it as a slur against Scotland. It's not. It's a slight on Blackford and him alone. 

I agree in general that we'd have better politics if shit like this didn't happen. But frankly I find it hard to believe it to be a slur against Scotland or anyone else but Blackford.

Who, if history is anything to go by, isn't the most empathetic soul.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The need for foodbanks is a national disgrace. The first sentence of my first post on the subject.

That's all that needed said.     An obviously occurring small number of abuses of the system has absolutely no bearing on the matter.      

3 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

The SNP have spun it as a slur against Scotland. It's not. It's a slight on Blackford and him alone. 

I agree in general that we'd have better politics if shit like this didn't happen. But frankly I find it hard to believe it to be a slur against Scotland or anyone else but Blackford.

Who, if history is anything to go by, isn't the most empathetic soul.

No it wasn't. It was against his nationality. 

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Braw.    Rare.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That's all that needed said.     An obviously occurring small number of abuses of the system has absolutely no bearing on the matter.      

Abuse happens in all areas. But we are overall a pretty honest culture. 

In the 1980s Edinburgh changed how domestic violence was managed. Instead of requiring proof a woman's word she was a victim became enough. So people could be helped for example to leave abusive partners. 

Now some people say you can get a council house for example by lying. But do people want us to go back to needing proof from the person hitting the woman? While it might seem strange that is what used to happen. 

Edited by Mikey1874

20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No it wasn't. It was against his nationality. 

SNP have had an impact at Parliament and pissed people off. So it was anti Scottish. Anti Western Isles too which is worse. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

SNP have had an impact at Parliament and pissed people off. So it was anti Scottish. Anti Western Isles too which is worse. 

Last time I was on Skye, it was full of retired English folk. I'd retire there as well. Great place. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Laughable.

What planet are these a*******s on?

20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Last time I was on Skye, it was full of retired English folk. I'd retire there as well. Great place. 

I alway said if I won the lottery I'd buy a house on Skye and paint it Black!! 

Lovely place right enough, had some great times fishing from the rocks below Neist Point Lighthouse, a beautiful place to stay too. 

Toxteth O'Grady
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I listened to some of the chat when the Speaker ruled "no action" and after Jeremy Corbyn gave his statement. One older Tory MP said it would be crazy to try to stop MPs saying things under their breath. 

But it will be interesting as some of things said get published over next few days. 

"Go back to Skye" being also pretty mild. 

Is go back to Skye more acceptable  than singing why don't you go home to Celtic fans 

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Do you mean folk visit foodbanks BECAUSE its free?

I thought you had to be referred to foodbanks & not just walk in off the street. 

30 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Do you mean folk visit foodbanks BECAUSE its free?

I thought you had to be referred to foodbanks & not just walk in off the street. 

You need to have a reason. Here is an example where you are referred by 'voucher' system

https://www.trusselltrust.org/what-we-do/how-foodbanks-work/

And a local example of the same network

https://edinburghnw.foodbank.org.uk/about/

You get questioned on why you are there too. 

31 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You need to have a reason. Here is an example where you are referred by 'voucher' system

https://www.trusselltrust.org/what-we-do/how-foodbanks-work/

And a local example of the same network

https://edinburghnw.foodbank.org.uk/about/

You get questioned on why you are there too. 

Aye thats what I thought. 

People who tried to go there for just a freebie would get short shrift. 

Cant imagine the crushing idignity of actually having to use one in the first place. 

Tories eh?

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )