• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Aye thats what I thought. 

People who tried to go there for just a freebie would get short shrift. 

Cant imagine the crushing idignity of actually having to use one in the first place. 

Tories eh?

As I expected people piled into attack my view that demand for free food doesn't equate to need. And to proclaim that abuse of the system is either inconceivable or a matter of a tiny minority.

I actually suspect more who need it, for the sake of pride and dignity, do not use it than those who abuse it.

The disgrace is that a rich country does not create circumstances where the need doesn't arise.

"food bank use is on the rise coz people like free stuff likes"

Food banks do not simply hand out free stuff to anybody you complete moron.

You have to be referred there by a social worker.

Try again.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

"food bank use is on the rise coz people like free stuff likes"

Food banks do not simply hand out free stuff to anybody [deleted]

You have to be referred there by a social worker.

Try again.

I removed one piece that would be better not said, but you can surely see why I advised people not to engage seriously with an individual who has repeatedly shown himself beneath taking seriously.

And by the way, more than a handful have learned their lesson and now don't.  Honestly, it's good advice.

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Would be interesting to know what checks he or she is talking about and how his or her calculation is made.

Checks at schipol. No idea What they are currently but they'll be 2 or 3 times longer on 30/3.

Extrapolate that times the number of passengers per flight to the UK and then the number of flights to the UK and then you get the picture. Or maybe not?

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Checks at schipol. No idea What they are currently but they'll be 2 or 3 times longer on 30/3.

Extrapolate that times the number of passengers per flight to the UK and then the number of flights to the UK and then you get the picture. Or maybe not?

I think you saw the video piece I posted by Rod McKenzie of the Road Haulage Association.  They're not looking to overturn Brexit; they want a deal.

9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Interesting. Sounds like a transition period.

No cliff edge or crashing out on 30/3?

No grounded aircraft?

No lorries queuing on the M20 or at Calais for weeks?

The EU not self harming?

Quelle surprise.

Apart from the obviously minor matter (to you, it would appear) of all protections for UK citizens in EU countries being removed. And the EU acknowledging there will be serious disruption.

Meanwhile, the government (sic) is, as things stand, pressing ahead with its unbelievable, mindbogglingly economically illiterate threshold of 30K salaries for people to be able to settle in the UK. Decimating just about every single bloody industry in the UK - not to mention countless families, countless people's lives. But you continue with your sophistry, Mr "People Who Aren't Hungry Or In Need Go To Foodbanks".

14 hours ago, Martin_T said:

I'm increasingly of the opinion, that Scotland should make a unilateral declaration of independence to remove ourselves from this farce.

I say this as someone who has never been fully convinced by the argument for independence, but who is absolutely disgusted by some of the rhetoric coming out of the current government.

13 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm almost (almost) in this camp.

I am, incidentally, absolutely stupefied that this hasn't been reflected in Scottish independence polls. In fact, the reverse has been the case.

Survation were the only UK pollster to get 2015 right and 2017 right. Their latest poll, last month, had No NINETEEN points ahead. :what: All other polls, meanwhile, have No between 5 and 10 points up.

I find it utterly bewildering - but can only assume it's because voters are watching what happens when a country tries to extricate itself from a political union without making detailed plans first, and thinking "not worth the hassle, thanks".

7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

As I expected people piled into attack my view that demand for free food doesn't equate to need. And to proclaim that abuse of the system is either inconceivable or a matter of a tiny minority.

I actually suspect more who need it, for the sake of pride and dignity, do not use it than those who abuse it.

The disgrace is that a rich country does not create circumstances where the need doesn't arise.

Your comment was unlikely to go unchecked. 

In anycase, we seem to agree that its nigh impossible to abuse this and in anycase, there should be no need for them in the first place. Tory policies only make it worse & its no coincedence the rapid growth in foodbanks over the last few years. 

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I think you saw the video piece I posted by Rod McKenzie of the Road Haulage Association.  They're not looking to overturn Brexit; they want a deal.

It was a piece on radio 5 live. They had a reporter in schipol who interviewedthe Dutch official. The Dutch  reckon they'll need over 1000 more customs officials to get to parity with where they are now. 

Foodbanks are evil... but...

Just bin the but.    We can all think for ourselves and are worldly enough to know abuses can occur.     The but has been used in a context to suggest that the substantive issue is diminished because of the but.

It is not.

The end.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It was a piece on radio 5 live. They had a reporter in schipol who interviewedthe Dutch official. The Dutch  reckon they'll need over 1000 more customs officials to get to parity with where they are now. 

We've a smaller economy than the Dutch.  We're looking to recruit a few hundred for the ports.  In 1993 when the Single Market was set up we took 1,300 customs officials out of the system - and I'd say about 800-900 of those were along the border.

6 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

I am, incidentally, absolutely stupefied that this hasn't been reflected in Scottish independence polls. In fact, the reverse has been the case.

Survation were the only UK pollster to get 2015 right and 2017 right. Their latest poll, last month, had No NINETEEN points ahead. :what: All other polls, meanwhile, have No between 5 and 10 points up.

I find it utterly bewildering - but can only assume it's because voters are watching what happens when a country tries to extricate itself from a political union without making detailed plans first, and thinking "not worth the hassle, thanks".

That Survation poll was commissioned by 'Scotland in Union' and the question was different. Think it was 'if there was a referendum tomorrow, should Scotland remain in the UK or leave the UK?' With remain and leave options (i.e. they tried to confuse it with positions on the EU referendum). 

Calling an indy referendum at this precise moment probably wouldn't be political astute of the Scottish Government, however they should be writing to every member of the European Union, including the Presidents of the institutions underlining Scotland's unwavering commitment to the four freedoms. They should make it clear that this is not the will or doing of this country and, when the time is right, we hope to seek to become a member state in our own right. 

The EU would probably lap it up. They don't want the UK to leave the EU and don't think it's a certainty to happen, by making supportive noises on Scottish independence they'll rattle cages in Whitehall and hope to scare them further into another EU referendum, ending Brexit once and for all. 

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A Brexit for jobs!

Jeremy will be pleased.

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Apart from the obviously minor matter (to you, it would appear) of all protections for UK citizens in EU countries being removed. And the EU acknowledging there will be serious disruption.

Meanwhile, the government (sic) is, as things stand, pressing ahead with its unbelievable, mindbogglingly economically illiterate threshold of 30K salaries for people to be able to settle in the UK. Decimating just about every single bloody industry in the UK - not to mention countless families, countless people's lives. But you continue with your sophistry, Mr "People Who Aren't Hungry Or In Need Go To Foodbanks".

Where does it say that?

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Foodbanks are evil... but...

Just bin the but.    We can all think for ourselves and are worldly enough to know abuses can occur.     The but has been used in a context to suggest that the substantive issue is diminished because of the but.

It is not.

The end.

The need for foodbanks is evil

Every E U country use the salary for people moving.The U K send the planes over more profit.Agencies are the problem.They sign up to companies and no U K worker can get a job. Not the E U fault.U K not enforcing the rules.

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

I'd rather a complete top to bottom overhaul of how we do government at a UK level, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd rather a complete top to bottom overhaul of how we do government at a UK level, to be honest.

Good luck with that.

Heave you watched the children at PMQ's? Or the  tory scumbags who talk for 90 minutes plus during a debate so up-skirt legislation and the likes cant even get voted on because they run out of time?

May cancelled the meaningful vote, they were then gong to have a vote as to whether she could cancel the vote but that vote got cancelled. I have absolutely no idea why but apparently, there was some old "rule" that allowed that to happen.

Westminster will NEVER change.

jack D and coke
On 19/12/2018 at 18:32, ri Alban said:

Could TM tempt NS to vote for her deal with the promise of an Indyref2.

Personally, if I was her I’d offer that. Imo Scotland will almost certainly bottle it in another indyref if brexit gets settled in a fairly reasonable fashion. 

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Personally, if I was her I’d offer that. Imo Scotland will almost certainly bottle it in another indyref if brexit gets settled in a fairly reasonable fashion. 

No , I think we might be sick of Wm now.

Governor Tarkin
25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No , I think we might be sick of Wm now.

I think you might find that a sizeable portion of Englandshire is sick of Westminster too.

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I think you might find that a sizeable portion of Englandshire is sick of Westminster too.

They are. It's all about the London and the home counties for the current Government. The North of England matters not.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

They are. It's all about the London and the home counties for the current Government. The North of England matters not.

Why are they trying (albeit shambolically) to implement Brexit which the north voted for but London and the home counties didn't?

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Why are they trying (albeit shambolically) to implement Brexit which the north voted for but London and the home counties didn't?

Was about to post similar. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Where did this information come from? 

I've lived in the North of England for 16 years and have never really found that attitude. 

On 19/12/2018 at 18:18, Victorian said:

Just watching a news story about the alarmingly large use of a Hartlepool food bank.      Maybe the suddenly animated Tory MPs will be outraged about that.        

Some good going on though

Edited by Mikey1874

15 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Only London voted remain. 

15 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Was about to post similar. 

Cause it will not affect these places. They won't be buying maggitised chicken and mushrooms from Yankee Doodle dandee. Brexit will do it's job on the labour  North. Bon appetit!

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Only London voted remain. 

The only major city to vote leave was Birmingham, and it was very tight. Every other city, from Bristol to Edinburgh, Leeds to Newcastle. Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool to Glasgow all voted Remain.

That was one of the most interesting aspects of the result. The split between the major cities and the rest of the UK.

2 hours ago, pablo said:

The only major city to vote leave was Birmingham, and it was very tight. Every other city, from Bristol to Edinburgh, Leeds to Newcastle. Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool to Glasgow all voted Remain.

That was one of the most interesting aspects of the result. The split between the major cities and the rest of the UK.

Nope. Sheffield, Bradford, Sunderland and a number of other cities/urban areas voted Leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#Returns_from_United_Kingdom_major_cities

26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Nope. Sheffield, Bradford, Sunderland and a number of other cities/urban areas voted Leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#Returns_from_United_Kingdom_major_cities

You should let the consituencies who voted Leave exit, and the places who voted Remain stay.  Then see how people feel about hard borders.  ::troll::

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

You should let the consituencies who voted Leave exit, and the places who voted Remain stay.  Then see how people feel about hard borders.  ::troll::

Very tempting. ;)

Trapper John McIntyre
49 minutes ago, Australis...... said:

Hearing rumours that the Scottish parliament is planning for a recall of the Parliament very soon over Brexit, anyone heard similar?

If they can get most of them out the pub.

On 21/12/2018 at 18:12, Dawnrazor said:

Where did this information come from? 

I've lived in the North of England for 16 years and have never really found that attitude. 

Huv ye, aye?

18 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

If they can get most of them out the pub.

Ye no spouting yer pish in the Scotsman the night. Sir John.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sitting waiting, ffs, you were like a fecking crocodile in the Nile. :D

Yep, just for you?

Care to answer in a more adult fashion? Where did you get that information from? 

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Yep, just for you?

Care to answer in a more adult fashion? Where did you get that information from? 

I can't be arsed the night. Hearts are busting my arse and I'm flitting . I'll get back after .

Just know, the SNP are calling an Indyref2 or all MPs quitting then running on the mandate of independence if  30 MPs are re-elected. The UN will delegate.

Santa is the best.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, Australis...... said:

Hearing rumours that the Scottish parliament is planning for a recall of the Parliament very soon over Brexit, anyone heard similar?

Emergency planning for No Deal?

Or urgent anti drone planning (just phone Israel) 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I can't be arsed the night. Hearts are busting my arse and I'm flitting . I'll get back after .

Just know, the SNP are calling an Indyref2 or all MPs quitting then running on the mandate of independence if 30 MPs are re-elected. The UN will delegate.

You could've answered my question in the same time it took you to post that pish. 

Edited by Dawnrazor

1 hour ago, Australis...... said:

Where are you hearing this and who exactly is recalling?

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Funny, because you could be arsed a few minutes ago. 

I'm sitting relaxing, about to watch watership down.

I was having a wee read, and posted a short answer. As for your question, Ive researched on the subject. Maybe noone likes to talk to you about it. Or you've never asked.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I was having a wee read, and posted a short answer. As for your question, Ive researched on the subject. Maybe noone likes to talk to you about it. Or you've never asked.

So where is your info coming from? 

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Have you seen Watership Down before?

Spoiler

Many people find it very violent and deeply upsetting 

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )