Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

7 hours ago, jake said:

Two sides to that .

At least.

There is. But TM is hell-bent on keeping the baw to herself.

The UK has the most opt out/exemptions in the entire EU, they can't ever have a better deal than the one they. hadI. It really has to be no deal or remain,, anything in-between is just stupid and dangerous. The brexit leaders should be extremely worried if this turns nasty, post brexit.

As for the remainers, they didn't fight hard or dirty enough. And past governments are to blame on the immigration fears, if they'd used the existing powers properly, there'd be no con job available for Brexiteers.

Edited by ri Alban

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor

So the other parties in Westminster have grown tired of her majestey's opposition we not being an opposition and have tabled a motion of no confidence in the government. 

Unlikely to get time in parliament unless Labour back it. 

Be interesting to see what Labour do and the fall out of doing nothing.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aw x2 is now fully :insufferable:

Just a matter of time until it's said to you.

Tick Tock!

Not at all. I just wish Mr Blackford's consideration of the sensitivities of others had been at the forefront of his mind in his dealings with the last MP for Skye.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So the other parties in Westminster have grown tired of her majestey's opposition we not being an opposition and have tabled a motion of no confidence in the government. 

Unlikely to get time in parliament unless Labour back it. 

Be interesting to see what Labour do and the fall out of doing nothing.

So a motion of no confidence is defeated which it would be this week?

Then what? 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

So a motion of no confidence is defeated which it would be this week?

Then what? 

No it wont be given debate time or go to a vote unless Labour back it.    The government only have to allow business time to a motion of no confidence from HM opposition.

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No it wont be given debate time or go to a vote unless Labour back it.    The government only have to allow business time to a motion of no confidence from HM opposition.

A vote of no confidence will only be used by Labour if the Government puts No Deal as the only alternative. At that point it has a good chance of winning. Tory MPs were saying yesterday they would stop supporting Government if No Deal is the plan. 

More likely is it won't be needed if amendments allow 'Parliament to take control'. 

In either scenario Article 50 would be suspended and a new election held and the direction would move towards a consensus plan. 

All the moaning at Labour is either anti-Corbyn or seeking a Peoples Vote which is not currently an option but could be as part of that hoped for consensus. 

Edited by Mikey1874

A vote of no confidence will only be used by Labour if the Government puts No Deal as the only alternative. At that point it has a good chance of winning. Tory MPs were saying yesterday they would stop supporting Government if No Deal is the plan. 

More likely is it won't be needed if amendments allow 'Parliament to take control'. 

In either scenario Article 50 would be suspended and a new election held and the direction would move towards a consensus plan. 

All the moaning at Labour is either anti-Corbyn or seeking a Peoples Vote which is not currently an option but could be as part of that hoped for consensus. 

Yes Labour has it's roadmap set out and the other parties have a different one.    This is a bit of a stunt.

Where Labour has to be careful is over the second referendum.     It's conference's preferred option but not Corbyn's.      Corbyn is highly dependant on the grassroots support so has to tread carefully.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes Labour has it's roadmap set out and the other parties have a different one.    This is a bit of a stunt.

Where Labour has to be careful is over the second referendum.     It's conference's preferred option but not Corbyn's.      Corbyn is highly dependant on the grassroots support so has to tread carefully.

Corbyn wants to leave the EU. But another vote has a good chance of being part of the package. Part of gaining consensus.

Delay Article 50, get a general consensus on relationship with EU ie is it Norway, Canada in outline (agreeing Remaining is not on Agenda), have a general election with a new prospectus. The uncertainties are in the result of the Tory leadership and General Elections. Could still end of being log jammed. But a vote on a final deal might help. 

Ironically it might not be much different from Teresa May's deal. But the problem is this is just an exit arrangement while people are concerned about the final deal. And crucially she didn't ever get agreement in her own party and pressed on rather than a cross party consensus. 

A consensus is the only way. 

Is it possible to table a motion of no confidence in HM Opposition? The weakest, most otiose, futile and asinine opposition there has perhaps ever been.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Corbyn is a complete fud. Fine if we’re talking about Janice from Melton Mowbray and bin collections but hopeless when it comes to anything serious.

Corbyn wants to leave the EU because he has the mistaken belief that EU urles prevent nationalisation of industries (they don't).

Just another Brexit fanatic who hasn't got a clue about how the EU actually works.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

It definitely won't be sponsored by Corbyn or indeed given time by the Tories.

For me the interesting thing is what happens if/when Corbyn does push a no confidence motion? He'll need the support of the very people he's pissing off right now to get it through parliament and if by some miracle he does, he may well need the self same people to form an administration as there's a huge rump of the country think (quite rightly) that he's a bombscare. 

We really are donald ducked, trapped between a incompetent government and an unelectable opposition. What a time to be alive!

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It definitely won't be sponsored by Corbyn or indeed given time by the Tories.

For me the interesting thing is what happens if/when Corbyn does push a no confidence motion? He'll need the support of the very people he's pissing off right now to get it through parliament and if by some miracle he does, he may well need the self same people to form an administration as there's a huge rump of the country think (quite rightly) that he's a bombscare. 

We really are donald ducked, trapped between a incompetent government and an unelectable opposition. What a time to be alive!

It's the first step of a possible strategy.

No confidence motion first.   If it succeeds then general election and a postponement or revocation of article 50.    If it fails then I think there will be some other step regarding the governments ability to continue with a working majority.

It's all fine and well the Tory Turkeys voting to escape Christmas and the DUP backing the government in the confidence motion,   but if there's no working majority then that presents a constitutional question to be answered.

A government that survives a confidence motion but has no majority to prop it up outwith the confidence motion (which is prey to individual self interest) is a government squatting in power.    In theory The Palace could intervene and remove the government if another coalition / consensus government can be formed.

Yes. So to be clear as above a new Government can be formed without a general election.

May postponing the vote makes that more likely. It would only be temporary to deal with Brexit (are we actually leaving on 29 March or not) pending an election. 

52 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes. So to be clear as above a new Government can be formed without a general election.

May postponing the vote makes that more likely. It would only be temporary to deal with Brexit (are we actually leaving on 29 March or not) pending an election. 

I think it would involve The Palace asking May to demonstrate that she can provide an ongoing stable government with a viable working majority.    It would be very hard for May to give assurances to that effect and then return to Westminster to carry on in the same mess with the DUP not providing the confidence and supply support to her government.     None of the usual deceit and trickery could be employed.    

If that intervention was to ever occur then I think that pretty much ends May's government as it is.

Tories losing their shit over Corbyn calling May a stupid woman. Pity, they weren't so bold about English anti Scottish xenophobia yesterday. 

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Brexit wasn't a political party election, so why is it Tory decision, and eff everyone else.

It's a good question and well framed.    It presents another reason why referendums are democratic headaches.    This particular one had the added problem of it representing the endgame of an enduring Tory Party philosophical battle.

The Tory Party especially could never have managed the Brexit process because of it's internal differences.     But they still insisted on trying to do it.

I'm increasingly of the opinion, that Scotland should make a unilateral declaration of independence to remove ourselves from this farce.

I say this as someone who has never been fully convinced by the argument for independence, but who is absolutely disgusted by some of the rhetoric coming out of the current government.

7 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

its All kicking off. Bercow now getting his erse kicked. Women up in arms at Corbyn’s comment. 

Labour MPs of whom they have the most women? 

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:33, Smithee said:

The consequences of leaving, obviously. 

Yes, but it works both ways.

Lies, deception, propaganda and fear statements spin in each square ticked.

We all know that a government commitment to seek significant EU reforms rather than a referendum should have been the way forward.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Did Cameron ever have to apologise for...

:calmdown:

They can go **** themselves.

Indeed.  

Tories are under pressure.

The problem for the Tories is Jeremy Corbyn is a very decent and reasonable individual. If he does have to apologise he'll end up looking better. May still has an unworkable plan. 

If Labour go through all the recent footage of Parliament they'll be able to find far worse insults said. 

AlphonseCapone
17 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

I see Ian Blackford is now Scotland and Scotland is Ian Blackford....

...I assume we are all offended as a nation because one man was rudely interrupted.

Bigger fish to fry at the moment lads. As petty as Brexiteers saying the PM was insulted at Salzburg and so Britain as a whole should be outraged. Patriotic nonsense; buy war bonds type tattle.

5 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

Not at all. I just wish Mr Blackford's consideration of the sensitivities of others had been at the forefront of his mind in his dealings with the last MP for Skye.

Come on, stop this. Folk are quite right to point it out and also point out how certain things seem to be accepted in Westminster. There was no need for it regardless of who is was directed to or what that person has or hasn't ever done. If you replace the location with somewhere else that wasn't on our islands there would have been outrage. There should be no difference. 

I'm genuinely baffled why you're being dismissive of it. Why not just call it our for what it was? No one is suggesting parliament devotes a day of debate to it so folk can continue to fry the big fish. 

Funny how you can be abusive and demeaning as you want in how you say things but certain words or phrases are somehow unacceptable. 

Its the way of the world now. Any hint of anything that may cause offence  provokes an outpouring of,  how dare they! Apologise, and so on I even heard one female MP raise a point of order after Corbyn’s comment and conclude with the cry Me Too.  We’ve had many threads on here addressing various PC issues that have surfaced, and even another one today was started. Lots of People are frightened now to say anything in case it’s taken out of context. Stupid Woman, Stupid some claim that’s what she is, Woman that’s what she is as well. Put the two together some people see offence others join in with the apparent slur.

Governor Tarkin
25 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I'm increasingly of the opinion, that Scotland should make a unilateral declaration of independence to remove ourselves from this farce.

I say this as someone who has never been fully convinced by the argument for independence, but who is absolutely disgusted by some of the rhetoric coming out of the current government.

I'm almost (almost) in this camp.

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Its the way of the world now. Any hint of anything that may cause offence  provokes an outpouring of,  how dare they! Apologise, and so on I even heard one female MP raise a point of order after Corbyn’s comment and conclude with the cry Me Too.  We’ve had many threads on here addressing various PC issues that have surfaced, and even another one today was started. Lots of People are frightened now to say anything in case it’s taken out of context. Stupid Woman, Stupid some claim that’s what she is, Woman that’s what she is as well. Put the two together some people see offence others join in with the apparent slur.

I actually don't know Jeremy Corbyn that well.

But I'll lay good odds he has supported say victims of domestic violence more than any of his accusers today.

AlphonseCapone
4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm almost (almost) in this camp.

?

I always thought you were a pretty strong Unionist or have I got that wrong?

Why is calling someone a stupid woman sexist? Am I missing something?

Corbyn should just come out and admit that he said it and he stands by what he said. He would instantly get more respect from me if he did. 

It's not like he said all women are stupid. That would be sexist. 

He should come back and say he would only be genuinely sorry if he said something to intentionally cause offensive or be derogatory.    Then say it doesn't apply,  so he isn't sorry.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

?

I always thought you were a pretty strong Unionist or have I got that wrong?

Oh I'd say I was a Unionist in spirit, but not a strong one.

I'm generally a less-borders-not-more type of guy, and can't really see any great difference between the aspirations and grievances of Joe public in Scotland from those in the rest of the UK.

The current shitshow that is Westminster is forcing me to take a long hard look at that though.

AlphonseCapone
15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Why is calling someone a stupid woman sexist? Am I missing something?

Corbyn should just come out and admit that he said it and he stands by what he said. He would instantly get more respect from me if he did. 

It's not like he said all women are stupid. That would be sexist. 

Good post. 

AlphonseCapone
7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Oh I'd say I was a Unionist in spirit, but not a strong one.

I'm generally a less-borders-not-more type of guy, and can't really see any great difference between the aspirations and grievances of Joe public in Scotland from those in the rest of the UK.

The current shitshow that is Westminster is forcing me to take a long hard look at that though.

That's interesting. It's certainly very exceptional circumstances we are living in. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's certainly very exceptional circumstances we are living in. 

That they are, my friend.

29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I actually don't know Jeremy Corbyn that well.

But I'll lay good odds he has supported say victims of domestic violence more than any of his accusers today.

Yep, I'm sure he has.

1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

Thankfully an almost entirely false, reactionary screed. What is true though, is that politicians of all stripes will cynically play the politics of outrage to try to discredit legitimate issues of discrimination and under-representation, thereby ensuring continued discrimination.

Pity they can't conduct themselves over Brexit, the way their conducting themselves over Yemen, now.

Edited by ri Alban

The Mighty Thor

Much ado about nothing.

Theresa May is a stupid woman.

Belligerently stupid in fact. 

For balance Corbyn is a total walloper.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )