• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Huzzah!

Chalk up another huge win for Global Britain (Great Nation) 

The Mail and Express really do think their readers are mentally handicapped. They must do! 

Overall exports are well down but the new deal with the mighty Jordan will take up the slack? Jeezo.

Nucky Thompson
9 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Gaslit uplands 👍

Mind the time Moggy was telling us we'd have cheaper food, energy & fuel.

Mugs. 

An opinion piece from someone called Paul Waugh? 

Is he as reliable as the IMF :rofl:

24 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

The Mail and Express really do think their readers are mentally handicapped. They must do! 

Overall exports are well down but the new deal with the mighty Jordan will take up the slack? Jeezo.

If they read and believe the absolute fantasy these 2 papers print then it's hard to argue that they are not mentally handicapped 

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

An opinion piece, quoting figures from an LSE study, did you even look?

Nucky Thompson
18 minutes ago, Smithee said:

An opinion piece, quoting figures from an LSE study, did you even look?

I didn't have to look.

Modelling from the LSE, IMF or whoever are never accurate and a waste of time.

TMT posts links from the same sources as if they're Gospel

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I didn't have to look.

Modelling from the LSE, IMF or whoever are never accurate and a waste of time.

TMT posts links from the same sources as if they're Gospel

The figures are what's happened, not what's expected to happen

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

I thought she was skint?

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Oh.

Do tell us just how strong this trade deal with Jordan will be and how it will counteract the one third reduction in exports to the EU?

Take your time. 

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The figures are what's happened, not what's expected to happen

6% increase on food is not solely down to Brexit.

It's a 'working assumption' from the LSE 

UK trade with Jordan is £640mil a year.

An extra 13% of that is £83million.

I'm sure that'll go far.

The NHS costs £372million A DAY.

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

6% increase on food is not solely down to Brexit.

It's a 'working assumption' from the LSE 

It's not an opinion piece, it's not a prediction based on modelling, the things you complained about.

My understanding is that the increases are larger, but 6% is down to brexit, with more to come. 

Of course, as I'm sure you know, food chain cost increases take time to accumulate, we'll see what happens better over time.

(Sorry, the figures aren't an opinion piece)

Edited by Smithee

Haven't food prices also risen by 6.7% across the EU in March alone?

And have been steadily rising over the last year?

And isn't inflation also rising in the EU?

So if that's the case I'd imagine we have some parity still with the EU does this mean in reality our food prices have risen by 13%?

Nucky Thompson
23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's not an opinion piece, it's not a prediction based on modelling, the things you complained about.

My understanding is that the increases are larger, but 6% is down to brexit, with more to come. 

Of course, as I'm sure you know, food chain cost increases take time to accumulate, we'll see what happens better over time.

(Sorry, the figures aren't an opinion piece)

The 6% increase in food costs is not a prediction granted, but the assumption it's all down to Brexit is an opinion 

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

The 6% increase in food costs is not a prediction granted, but the assumption it's all down to Brexit is an opinion 

So wait .

Is the bottom line that our food prices have increased by 6% which puts us slightly below increases in the EU.

Or is the bottom line our food prices have increased by 13% which would indicate a brexit influence ?

Right OK.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The inflation on food from March 21 to March 22 in the UK was 5.9%

In the same period across the EU food inflation was 6.9%.

Those are the only figures I see.

So are we saying that if brexit hadn't happened unlike the rest of the EU the UK would have seen 0.9% inflation on food prices?

Because Brexit is responsible for the other 6%.

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Ked said:

Right OK.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The inflation on food from March 21 to March 22 in the UK was 5.9%

In the same period across the EU food inflation was 6.9%.

Those are the only figures I see.

So are we saying that if brexit hadn't happened unlike the rest of the EU the UK would have seen 0.9% inflation on food prices?

Because Brexit is responsible for the other 6%.

It's more complex than that. Inflation is calculated on a basket of goods and services. The UK & Europe measure differently.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/54/inflation/how-is-inflation-calculated/#:~:text=Inflation%2C in the UK%2C is,annual % change in price level.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's more complex than that. Inflation is calculated on a basket of goods and services. The UK & Europe measure differently.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/54/inflation/how-is-inflation-calculated/#:~:text=Inflation%2C in the UK%2C is,annual % change in price level.

Will have a read  later bud.

Cup final is on.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So after reading up about it we the UK have been around 1 % higher inflation than the EU over the last year.

So going on that we if using the EU calculator be 8.5%.

So if brexit has cost 6% then does that mean the UK would be bucking global trends and only have 2.5% inflation if still part of the EU.

4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

The UK had a free trade agreement with Jordan since 1997.  Would anyone like to tell us why?

The UK lost that free trade agreement with Jordan last year.  Would anyone like to tell us why?

The agreement with Jordan is a replacement for a deal that already existed before the UK damaged its own trading position by leaving the EU.

The UK's annual trade with Jordan seems to be worth the equivalent of the UK's trade with the EU every 4-6 hours.

The EU's trade with Jordan seems to have risen by about 12-13% as well.  Is that also because of Brexit?    :laugh:

15 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The UK had a free trade agreement with Jordan since 1997.  Would anyone like to tell us why?

The UK lost that free trade agreement with Jordan last year.  Would anyone like to tell us why?

The agreement with Jordan is a replacement for a deal that already existed before the UK damaged its own trading position by leaving the EU.

The UK's annual trade with Jordan seems to be worth the equivalent of the UK's trade with the EU every 4-6 hours.

The EU's trade with Jordan seems to have risen by about 12-13% as well.  Is that also because of Brexit?    :laugh:

:sweeet: 

Lone Striker
31 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

All pertinent points there.   

A cynic might start to wonder what benefit the ordinary man/woman in a UK street might derive from cheaper imports from India, Jordan etc - while wondering what kind of UK companies benefit from having no tariffs on their exports to these countries now.     

All the while wondering what the point of paying increasing  shipping charges to send stuff to & from the ME and Asia.

And all the while wondering what pressure (if any) the UK is putting on the likes of India to adopt higher standards in  environmental, human rights & animal welfare as a condition.

The whole thing feels grubby,  at a time when an increasing number of people are placing a high emphasis on environmental measures like food miles, transport pollution and the environmental damage done by clothing manufacture.

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, Ked said:

So after reading up about it we the UK have been around 1 % higher inflation than the EU over the last year.

So going on that we if using the EU calculator be 8.5%.

So if brexit has cost 6% then does that mean the UK would be bucking global trends and only have 2.5% inflation if still part of the EU.

As I said I think the measurements are far more complex. 

Without knowing the modelling of the LSE its really hard to say what figures are what. 

What I will say is that anyone who thinks that UK inflation is only 6% needs help.

Since Jan

diesel has gone from 1.36.7 to 1.66.7 =21.9%

Bread has gone from 1.00 to 1.15 = 15%

Milk is up 9% 

Fruit & veg up anything from 8 to 20%

What hasn't gone up has had the packet size reduced to maintain a price point.

Put it another way, my home fuel bill has gone up 49% from 1/4 so if the UK inflation number for April is anything less than high teens its utter bullshit. 

10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Yaay, lets get the Union Jack bunting out then :lol:

6 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

As I said I think the measurements are far more complex. 

Without knowing the modelling of the LSE its really hard to say what figures are what. 

What I will say is that anyone who thinks that UK inflation is only 6% needs help.

Since Jan

diesel has gone from 1.36.7 to 1.66.7 =21.9%

Bread has gone from 1.00 to 1.15 = 15%

Milk is up 9% 

Fruit & veg up anything from 8 to 20%

What hasn't gone up has had the packet size reduced to maintain a price point.

Put it another way, my home fuel bill has gone up 49% from 1/4 so if the UK inflation number for April is anything less than high teens its utter bullshit. 

Don't mention fuel .

My partner had hers increased double.

She emailed them to ask how this could be plus she's in credit.

No answer.

I told her to cancel direct debit.

Got back to her straight away.

She has now filed a template report to the ombudsman.

Yes the 6% does seem unlikely.

New Town Loafer
19 hours ago, Cade said:

The NHS costs £372million A DAY.

This in itself is a major problem.

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

This in itself is a major problem.

One of the most efficient health services on the planet mate, it's a credit not a problem

New Town Loafer
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

One of the most efficient health services on the planet mate, it's a credit not a problem

Could be significantly better if it was less bureaucratic and less money was thrown at such inane and pointless positions as 'Diversity and Inclusion manager'.

The Mighty Thor

As predicted. 

A masterclass in turd polishing from the haunted pencil ' we're saving businesses up to £1bn a year' 😂

Aye mate, so you are. 

2023 now for implementation.

Oven ready 😂

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, New Town Loafer said:

Could be significantly better if it was less bureaucratic and less money was thrown at such inane and pointless positions as 'Diversity and Inclusion manager'.

Ah the management heavy argument. Its been shot down on here so many times. 

Daily Mail-tastic

Unknown user
41 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Go look it up, pound for pound, it's amazing.

The NHS is not a problem, underfunding it is.

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

The NHS is not a problem, the Tories are.

Fify 👍I hope that's ok, bud.

Edited by ri Alban

New Town Loafer
17 hours ago, Smithee said:

The NHS is not a problem, underfunding it is.

A superb concept, and an envy of the world. Alas, underfunding is not the issue.

WorldChampions1902
55 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

A superb concept, and an envy of the world. Alas, underfunding is not the issue.

Do enlighten us.

But please, please don’t cite that well-worn “top-heavy with management”, mantra.

The Mighty Thor

I see the minister for 'Brexit Opportunities' has had to come out and admit that implementing the import checks that they've cancelled for the 4th time would be 'an act of economic self harm' 😂

Mugs still vote for this lot too? 😂

Eventually the EU will have to sue the UK for failing to implement the Brexit deal.

Then the Tories and press will have a field day, greeting about being bullied.

Edited by Cade

On 28/04/2022 at 14:42, New Town Loafer said:

This is bs and exactly the sort of pish that comes from Tory mps. An organisation that costs 370million a day is being hampered by a diversity and inclusion manager?? What on 30-40k a year 

it’s hampered by chronic underfunding from central government 

Edited by jamboy1982

12 hours ago, Cade said:

Eventually the EU will have to sue the UK for failing to implement the Brexit deal.

Then the Tories and press will have a field day, greeting about being bullied.

British businesses and (in particular) British farming and food businesses are being put at a competitive disadvantage by their own Conservative government. 

The British Conservative government is giving an easy ride to EU businesses and removing costs and delays from them - while British businesses have to endure costs and delays caused by the UK's decision to leave the EU. 

Likewise, the British Conservative government is deliberately placing the interests of companies who import goods from the EU ahead of the interests of companies who export goods to the EU.

The Conservative government is favouring foreign businesses over businesses in its own economy who provide employment and pay taxes.

If the Labour party did this, the media would be all over them like a rash.

It's not the EU who will or should sue the British Conservative government - it's British traders and farmers.

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

British businesses and (in particular) British farming and food businesses are being put at a competitive disadvantage by their own Conservative government. 

The British Conservative government is giving an easy ride to EU businesses and removing costs and delays from them - while British businesses have to endure costs and delays caused by the UK's decision to leave the EU. 

Likewise, the British Conservative government is deliberately placing the interests of companies who import goods from the EU ahead of the interests of companies who export goods to the EU.

The Conservative government is favouring foreign businesses over businesses in its own economy who provide employment and pay taxes.

If the Labour party did this, the media would be all over them like a rash.

It's not the EU who will or should sue the British Conservative government - it's British traders and farmers.

The farmers are keeping relatively quiet. That's because they wanted Brexit. They voted for Brexit. Why? Because they thought the reverse of what has happened would actually happen. They saw pound signs. They thought they'd be making bank like never before.

Like the fishermen, they've come to realise too late that Brexit was never going to enrich them. It was only ever a vehicle to allow vested interests to make serious money and to keep that money out of the hands of the proposed EU tax reforms. 

Mugs.

WorldChampions1902
22 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I see the minister for 'Brexit Opportunities' has had to come out and admit that implementing the import checks that they've cancelled for the 4th time would be 'an act of economic self harm' 😂

Mugs still vote for this lot too? 😂

761C822D-5B5A-4B23-B108-DF4B876F699C.jpeg

WorldChampions1902
52 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The mugs will keep on swallowing the kool aid though. 

Like I said earlier, a large element do not give a shiny s**te about the colossal economic damage inflicted on the U.K. by their Leave vote and never did. They were told there would be fewer “illegals” and “brown faces”. Oh wait, how are we doing on that score??

Risible.

8 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Like I said earlier, a large element do not give a shiny s**te about the colossal economic damage inflicted on the U.K. by their Leave vote and never did. They were told there would be fewer “illegals” and “brown faces”. Oh wait, how are we doing on that score??

Risible.

There will be fewer Polish and other East Europeans - none of whom were ever "illegal".  There will be more non-Europeans, particularly Indians and Chinese, and they won't be "illegal" either.