Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

"We'll negotiate an Australian style trade deal"....

There is no EU / AUS trade deal.

What next?   "We'll get a Saturn style deal... but better... Saturn+++".    

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The majority of people in the town probably think it's the Greek flag.

How thick do you think people are? Most people ain't that thick.

Francis Albert
Just now, redjambo said:

How thick do you think people are? Most people ain't that thick.

I think Scots tend to exaggerate how much people in Europe and overseas generally know or care  about Scotland. Or England as they often call it.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think Scots tend to exaggerate how much people in Europe and overseas generally know or care  about Scotland. Or England as they often call it.

Having spent many years travelling to almost every corner of Europe, and living for several years in three different countries there, I beg to differ.

Space Mackerel
23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think you're just making up stuff in your head.

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Tories just tried to bar certain media outlets from a Brexit briefing.

Every journalist in the room got up and walked out in solidarity.

Oh well they can always do what they nearly always do and rely on 3 agencies to tell them what to say.

14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Absolute shitbiscuits, I know Leeuwarden, it's very friendly to the Scots, as are most places in Holland.

In the street I lived longest there must have been half a dozen motorbike owners who went over every year to enjoy the highlands.

Holland's flat and heavily populated, they love the relative open wilderness in Scotland, although they were always more interested in my mrs being from Oban than Edinburgh, so they are a bit dumb I suppose.

There are also towns in holland that were libered by scottish regiments and never forgot, Tilburg still had an annual highland games and Scotland festival every year when we left.

So aye, shite, absolute shite.

There's also Greek restaurants festooned with flags in every town, sadly lacking here. Man, I could murder a Greek grill with giant bowl of tzatziki!

Not enough Greek restaurants in Scotland!

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, Cade said:

Tories just tried to bar certain media outlets from a Brexit briefing.

Every journalist in the room got up and walked out in solidarity.

Bannon's fingerprints all over it. 

The Mighty Thor
59 minutes ago, Victorian said:

"We'll negotiate an Australian style trade deal"....

There is no EU / AUS trade deal.

What next?   "We'll get a Saturn style deal... but better... Saturn+++".    

That 'speech' was fecking incredible. 

It's like he has a form of tourette's syndrome. Random outbursts, speaking at 100mph, pointing, windmilling about the place. 

He spoke plenty but said nothing at all.

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's like he has a form of tourette's syndrome. Random outbursts, speaking at 100mph, pointing, windmilling about the place. 

He's went full Trump.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Absolute shitshow.    But the obvious direction of travel is more serious.    The strategy is another show of bluster and running down the clock (already).     The new banner for no-deal could very well be this Australia style deal (factually there's the smallest and largely non existent deal but practically there is no deal).    

"We're not going to adhere to EU regulations and standards because our regulations and standards are already higher than the EU lower base limit and we're going to keep them there"

So, in other words, you're adhering to EU minimum standards.

Prick.

The Mighty Thor
37 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Absolute shitshow.    But the obvious direction of travel is more serious.    The strategy is another show of bluster and running down the clock (already).     The new banner for no-deal could very well be this Australia style deal (factually there's the smallest and largely non existent deal but practically there is no deal).    

Said it for ages. The no deal is the desired destination and the last year or two has just been pantomime.

The problem he's (Cummings) got is that there will be a fair bit of scrutiny between now and the end of transition. 

I'm sure they'll just double down with the bullshit. 

AlphonseCapone
6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Based on what? 

6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Based on what? 

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

Having spent many years travelling to almost every corner of Europe, and living for several years in three different countries there, I beg to differ.

Interesting. 

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Absolute shitbiscuits, I know Leeuwarden, it's very friendly to the Scots, as are most places in Holland.

In the street I lived longest there must have been half a dozen motorbike owners who went over every year to enjoy the highlands.

Holland's flat and heavily populated, they love the relative open wilderness in Scotland, although they were always more interested in my mrs being from Oban than Edinburgh, so they are a bit dumb I suppose.

There are also towns in holland that were libered by scottish regiments and never forgot, Tilburg still had an annual highland games and Scotland festival every year when we left.

So aye, shite, absolute shite.

Interesting. 

It's almost like Francis was making up some shit to try and demean Scotland. Far too common amongst the Stockholm syndrome Scots. 

6 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

'Stockholm Syndrome Scots'

Right up there with "jet fuel can't melt steel beams", as you posted in the independence thread with a bunch of other disparagement and conspiracy-laden guff for which you had zero examples or evidence of.

The tone of Al's remark aside, he was faced with an exact example of what he was complaining about in this thread.

Interesting.

Edited by Justin Z

14 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You forgot the Benny Hill style salute at the end and the barely suppressed, random, inane giggling throughout.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
12 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Based on what? 

Based on what? 

Interesting. 

Interesting. 

It's almost like Francis was making up some shit to try and demean Scotland. Far too common amongst the Stockholm syndrome Scots. 

Probably xenophobic shite his wife says to him.

Francis Albert
12 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Based on what? 

Based on what? 

Interesting. 

Interesting. 

Or maybe that I am comfortable enough about being Scottish and about Scotland not to over-react to every supposed slight.

In answer to your "Based on what?"s:

My guess is that few people anywhere could identify accurately every flag of the EU countries (plus Scotland's). It was a light hearted remark that only someone with a chip on both shoulders could get upset and outraged about. 

And based on my own very extensive travels (and reading) over many decades in which I have frequently heard or read  the UK being described as England and the assumption that because I am British I must be English. It doesn't upset me or make me feel "demeaned".  I just politely correct it where appropriate. 

dobmisterdobster

As somebody who has previously lived in the south of France for a significant portion of my life. The only conversations I've been able to have with French people about involve Sport, Music, Salmon and Whisky.

AlphonseCapone
26 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Or maybe that I am comfortable enough about being Scottish and about Scotland not to over-react to every supposed slight.

In answer to your "Based on what?"s:

My guess is that few people anywhere could identify accurately every flag of the EU countries (plus Scotland's). It was a light hearted remark that only someone with a chip on both shoulders could get upset and outraged about. 

And based on my own very extensive travels (and reading) over many decades in which I have frequently heard or read  the UK being described as England and the assumption that because I am British I must be English. It doesn't upset me or make me feel "demeaned".  I just politely correct it where appropriate. 

You could have made that much shorter, "I made it up and now I'm pretending I was joking". 

Space Mackerel
12 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You could have made that much shorter, "I made it up and now I'm pretending I was joking". 

Or, I’m just projecting my ignorance onto the rest of the population of continental Europe. 

dobmisterdobster
10 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Or, I’m just projecting my ignorance onto the rest of the population of continental Europe. 

Ask the average Brit about Bavaria. They will know as much as the average European knows about Scotland.

A few stereotypical or cultural things but not a whole lot more.

Francis Albert
29 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

... yes if I had wanted to post the opposite of what I posted

50 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

No no no, famed for his light hearted non-humpty approach that one

49 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

... yes if I had wanted to post the opposite of what I posted

:rofl: You misspelled "not lie"

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Ask the average Brit about Bavaria. They will know as much as the average European knows about Scotland.

I was scooting about Bavaria last year. I kid you not.

Stayed in Dresden for a week.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I was scooting about Bavaria last year. I kid you not.

Stayed in Dresden for a week.

Nice place Dresden.

That could be said about the average person's knowledge of any country or region.

Although many people do conflate 'England' with 'Britain', I can assure you that the average person in Europe is well aware of Scotland and our stereotypical and cultural aspects, perhaps more so than many other countries since the last referendum which was well covered by European news outlets along with background article on Scotland itself.

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Nice place Dresden.

It is that and nice people too.

The War Museum is a must visit for anyone going and the place that has the 360 panorama thing (forgot it's name)

Only if you think the rest of Europe is as insular and internationally ignorant as the average brit.

Francis Albert
25 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

The War Museum is a must visit for anyone going and the place that has the 360 panorama thing (forgot it's name)

Dresden is indeed a fine city, astonishly well restored after the  fire bombing which almost totally destroyed it.

Since Saxony borders Bavaria it is also convenient for scooting about Bavaria en route to or from Dresden.

Edited by Francis Albert

28 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

The Panometer.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

:rofl: You misspelled "not lie"

Thanks for the rofl emoji. Without it I might not have spotted the humour. In fact, having said that ...

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Only if you think the rest of Europe is as insular and internationally ignorant as the average brit.

I don't see how they are any different from us.

10 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Right up there with "jet fuel can't melt steel beams", as you posted in the independence thread with a bunch of other disparagement and conspiracy-laden guff for which you had zero examples or evidence of.

The tone of Al's remark aside, he was faced with an exact example of what he was complaining about in this thread.

Interesting.

Can jet fuel melt steel beams?

dobmisterdobster
20 minutes ago, Smithee said:

No, you wouldn't. 

I have lived in and have family in mainland Europe. From personal experience, I stand by what I said.

1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I have lived in and have family in mainland Europe. From personal experience, I stand by what I said.

Yeah, you would.

8 minutes ago, jake said:

Can jet fuel melt steel beams?

It doesn't need to. It just needs to weaken them enough to affect their structural integrity.

Just now, redjambo said:

It doesn't need to. It just needs to weaken them enough to affect their structural integrity.

I'm not going down this road again .

As much as I'd love to.

😄

I asked only if jet fuel can melt steel.

Just now, jake said:

I'm not going down this road again .

As much as I'd love to.

😄

I asked only if jet fuel can melt steel.

I'm fine with that too. :D

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Put steel on a coal fire, nothing. Add airflow and an enclosed space -hey presto, a furnace, intense heat way above coal's normal burning temps causing malleable metal.

🤯

dobmisterdobster
13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yeah, you would.

You would believe there are many Europeans who actually care about Scottish Independence.

20 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

You would believe there are many Europeans who actually care about Scottish Independence.

I know that there are. Before the last referendum, I was asked my views by many folk while travelling in Europe (wearing my stereotypical and cultural kilt, of course, which I usually wear when I'm travelling/hitch-hiking). At the time, I was anti-independence and most folk were amazed when I said that I would vote No, and I had some really interesting discussions about it.

For the record, my views have changed since then, and I am now pro-independence. Strongly.

39 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Didn't say that, nice try though.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )