Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Amendment tabled to allow 16/17 year olds to vote. (Bringing UK in line with Scotland). Jeremy Corbyn also saying want EU nationals to be able to vote. 

Not entirely sure what process is for agreeing which amendments are voted on. 

Why has this only been proposed now. Couldn't possibly be because it likely favours remain?

Any way I read recently that the human brain does not mature until about 25 so there is a case for raising the voting age.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Why has this only been proposed now. Couldn't possibly be because it likely favours remain?

Any way I read recently that the human brain does not mature until about 25 so there is a case for raising the voting age.

And ending it when brain dysfunction sets in. 60?

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

And ending it when brain dysfunction sets in. 60?

I wasn't being serious.

But in most societies in the world outside the youth-obsessed capitalist west, the wisdom of age is still respected.

"young people are too thick"

That old myth.

If you want to go down that route, voting should be denied if you have an IQ in double figures.

Or voting cards should only be dispensed if you pass a multiple choice exam on the policies of each party.

Or denied if you have dementia.

That would exclude most of the readership of the Sun, Express and Mail, so perhaps that's the way to go.

Edited by Cade

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

There are a lot of over 25’s who shouldn’t get a vote.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Captain Sausage
6 minutes ago, Boris said:

If that happens, opposition should go for a vote of no confidence, form an interim govt, then introduce this bill again with all its amendments and pass it.

Or legislate for another referendum first. They have the ability to scupper Johnson if they see fit. 

Totally agree.

Can go to war and die.

Can get a job and pay taxes.

Can get married and have children. 

Can't vote on which party you subsidise for the next 5 years.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

There is an amendment to delay election till May and have a Referendum..

That’ll be that then. Boris will have phoned his Maw and asked her to shout him in for his tea early so he can try to save face. 

4 hours ago, Cade said:

.........and what happens when this GE returns another hung parliament or a fragile coalition/minority government?

That remains to be seen. If it does it says more about Labour than any other party.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Can go to war and die.

Can get a job and pay taxes.

Can get married and have children. 

Can't vote on which party you subsidise for the next 5 years.

Although you first one is incorrect it’s 18 in combat. I agree what your point is.

Hilarious. On the one hand the Government say 16/17 year olds cannot make the necessary decisions. 

On the other hand, revoke the citizenship (rightly imo) of a child who made a decision to join ISIS. 

35 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Jesus !!! Yeah why not just scrap 

voting all together ? 

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Jesus !!! Yeah why not just scrap 

voting all together ? 

As I said above I was not being serious in my second sentence and no-one has answered my first because the answer is obvious.

There should be a serious debate on the voting age and on the rights of residents who are not UK citizens and should have been long before now. The pros and cons supported by evidence … the sort of process the Remainers favour in their favourite cause. It shouldn't be thrown into another decision and based on the perceived advantage of particular parties and in particular by views on a single issue at a point in time. There is nothing principled about the amendments … they are based on what Corbyn and the rest think will benefit them in the election. It is no more based on principle than anything Boris is doing and is as self-serving.

Francis Albert
48 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

There is an amendment to delay election till May and have a Referendum..

Of course there is.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, gjcc said:

Yep. More taking his ball home because everyone else wants to play 5’s but he wants to play shapes. 

Or alternatively he proposes a game of football under current rules but the opposition insists on changing the current  rules of the game first.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

16+ and EU national's vote amendments not selected.

December 9th date amendment has been.

Election just got more likely.

Thankfully Bercow is not in the chair!

dobmisterdobster

Expanding the franchise to EU citizens is a HUGE constitutional change and deeply unpopular.

WTF were Labour thinking trying to sneak this through?

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Or alternatively he proposes a game of football under current rules but the opposition insists on changing the current  rules of the game first.

You mean the rules he wants for the rules that others deem more appropriate (rightly or wrongly). 

Alistair Burt, Caroline Nokes, Greg Clark, Sir Nicholas Soames, Ed Vaizey, Margot James, Richard Benyon, Stephen Hammond, Steve Brine and Richard Harrington have Tory whip restored.

1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Expanding the franchise to EU citizens is a HUGE constitutional change and deeply unpopular.

WTF were Labour thinking trying to sneak this through?

Notwithstanding that we'd be the only country in the EU to allow other EU citizens a vote in their general elections.

Brits & other EU citizens can vote in local & European elections whilst living in another EU country, but not that countries GE.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, gjcc said:

You mean the rules he wants for the rules that others deem more appropriate (rightly or wrongly). 

The rules that applied in all recent general elections but for some reason some want to change urgently.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Why?

Because he is an arrogant self important self advertising tit totally unsuited to the role. He reminds me of a number of Scottish football referees … in fact most of them.

Malinga the Swinga
20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Because he is an arrogant self important self advertising tit totally unsuited to the role. He reminds me of a number of Scottish football referees … in fact most of them.

Alternatively, he has performed a sterling role in applying parliamentary business ensuring a fair and proper hearing for all MP's. He also has an unrivalled knowledge of exactly what is and what is not allowed which means he is ideally suited to the role.

The fact you don't like him more than likely means he has done exactly the job he was supposed to do. I would hazard a guess you would rather have had an unqualified Tory toady to allow Boris and his chums to run roughshod over the law and due process, but luckily enough, you didn't get your way.

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Jess Phillips is talking sense here. She’s quite humorous too.

Listening to her reminds me of this clip.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Alternatively, he has performed a sterling role in applying parliamentary business ensuring a fair and proper hearing for all MP's. He also has an unrivalled knowledge of exactly what is and what is not allowed which means he is ideally suited to the role.

The fact you don't like him more than likely means he has done exactly the job he was supposed to do. I would hazard a guess you would rather have had an unqualified Tory toady to allow Boris and his chums to run roughshod over the law and due process, but luckily enough, you didn't get your way.

And the fact you think he has performed a sterling  job probably means he has done the job exactly as you would like him to. "Bollox to Brexit" and all.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Another hung parliament coming up, no?

Potentially.

Farage has kept relatively quiet this last few weeks. 

If he goes after the Tories then it'll hurt them in the heartlands of the little englanders 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Potentially.

Farage has kept relatively quiet this last few weeks. 

If he goes after the Tories then it'll hurt them in the heartlands of the little englanders 

Something tells me he’ll see Corbyn as the greater evil

12th December it is.

Some of the players will change but we will be deadlocked. However if the polls are right Corbyn will get a kicking. 

Cant see the Lords blocking it.

Edited by Dannie Boy

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

He's brilliant as the Speaker. 

39 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Something tells me he’ll see Corbyn as the greater evil

A view shared by many liberals as well.

Any students wishing to vote had better make sure they're registered to vote in the place they'll be on Dec 12th, or delay holiday plans to vote where they study!

49 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That’s how I see it.  Don’t bank on Farage forming a pact with Boris.  Remember his victory speech after the European elections.  He said they would come for the Tories if they didn’t deliver Brexit by 31st Oct.  They’ll hammer the Tories and Labour up North.  

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He's brilliant as the Speaker. 

For some. A good Speaker is respected by all sides of the House and on major issues. "Bollox to Brexit" Bercow is/was not.

Edited by Francis Albert

55 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I reckon it will be a Tory landslide... labour will be crushed, lib dems will gain a little 

In Scotland it will be a SNP landslide, tories distantly 2nd.. labour crushed. 

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Any students wishing to vote had better make sure they're registered to vote in the place they'll be on Dec 12th, or delay holiday plans to vote where they study!

Handy for Boris given his majority In his constituency was only 10k and the Brunel students will be away. 

2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Handy for Boris given his majority In his constituency was only 10k and the Brunel students will be away. 

Boris has repeatedly refused to confirm that he's going to fight for that same seat.

He may parachute himself into one of the ultra-safe home counties seats.

Hard Brexit Lunatic Tories may vote Brexit Party.

Remain Tories may vote LibDem or even Labour.

Centerist Labour may vote LibDem.

Brexit Labour may vote Tory.

SNP will clean up in Scotland.

Northern Ireland will stay as it is because the sectarian votes never, ever change.

Wales will remain irrelevant.

Absolutely anything could happen in this one.

Probably a hung parliament and a confidence and supply deal, if the arithmetic works.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )