Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

The ERG were begging the DUP to vote for the May deal to act as a face saving lifeboat.   They would follow the lead of the DUP.    May's deal passes... just.    The ERG could not show it's hand by caving if the vote was lost anyway because that would end their very existence as a group.

If true that they are going to cave now then it just goes to show how desperate they are.     

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Class of 75
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Quelle surprise. :D

Thanks mate. To be fair Farage is just doing what Tony Blair was trying to do in winding up the EU into rejecting the PM's deal. 

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Mogg probably would vote for MV. 

He's that type of guy. It's written all over him.

He said last night he would vote for it if he believed May's threat of it being the only thing stopping Brexit from being thrown out was believable.

It's looking increasingly like that will be the case.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Sorry mate have to disagree. Throughout this whole fiasco he has been the only reliable politician 

Shouldn't a reliable politician, in fact the only reliable politician, make an attempt to represent his constituents?

His voting attendance record is 746th out of 750, you think that's a politician to rely on?

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Shouldn't a reliable politician, in fact the only reliable politician, make an attempt to represent his constituents?

His voting attendance record is 746th out of 750, you think that's a politician to rely on?

It's difficult getting to the EU parliament.

He's not good on airplanes. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The trouble is that the zealots are hopelessly obsessed that removing no-deal and extending art50 is ALL about reversing the referendum.     It is for a small minority in parliament but the majority would readily accept and respect Brexit as long as we row back from a disorderly Brexit and agree an acceptable deal.  

It is not about stopping Brexit but the zealots are utterly paranoid beyond all reason that it is.     Without that paranoia,    parliament would be much closer to a good outcome.

Not only have the Brexit zealots brought about Brexit but their sick obsession is a major obstacle to a reasonable process.

Not sure about that. There’s a fair section who want to reverse the Brexit vote and much as they’d pretend otherwise, they’ve been part of the problem. The EU knew from the start that it could be seriously obstructive because the first line of resistance was coming from within the UK. If there’s to genuinely be a concessus, the ERG need to back off and so do the MPs who are calling for a second vote. Because let’s be honest - no-one who wants a second vote wants leave to win.

Lots of countries have minority governments and coalitions.    Most of them result in consensus politics.    Opposing stakeholders working co-operatively in order to operate at all.    Some parliamentary structures are specifically designed to make coalitions more likely.

The UK has probably the only parliamentary system in the democratic world that has the fundamental weaknesses that allow a minority government to operate as a dictatorship.   Even in the context of the most important decision to face the country in 70 years.     

Poor opposition... great opposition... there's not a damn thing to prevent what we're seeing.    It's happening because the weaknesses exist.

When this is over,    we'll still be left with the worst parliamentary system in the developed world,    unless somebody begins to change it.

Cabinet Ministers' who abstained aren't going to be sacked. Absolutely no consequences - unbelievable, maybe the first time this has ever happened - another one for May. 

She has pissed off a lot of her party tonight. Even if the ERG and DUP do fold she still might not have enough votes for MV3. Plus she has now basically said a 3 Line Whip is pointless by letting ministers abstain.

This is a government in name only.

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Not sure about that. There’s a fair section who want to reverse the Brexit vote and much as they’d pretend otherwise, they’ve been part of the problem. The EU knew from the start that it could be seriously obstructive because the first line of resistance was coming from within the UK. If there’s to genuinely be a concessus, the ERG need to back off and so do the MPs who are calling for a second vote. Because let’s be honest - no-one who wants a second vote wants leave to win.

The best thing now is for Brexit to be accepted and for all people to openly state that the other measures are merely to achieve a good outcome.     The myth that ALL non-zealots are hell bent on reversing Brexit has to be debunked.

Just now, Notts1874 said:

She has pissed off a lot of her party tonight. Even if the ERG and DUP do fold she still might not have enough votes for MV3. Plus she has now basically said a 3 Line Whip is pointless by letting ministers abstain.

Aye, but as long as you don't actually vote against the Government in a 3-line whip then you're ok. ;)

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Aye, but as long as you don't actually vote against the Government in a 3-line whip then you're ok. ;)

That's the shambles this has become. Don't vote for me otherwise your binned ???.

32 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

On the contrary, it plays into the hands of those who wish to remain and circumvent democracy and also removes our last strong hand. 

"Our" 

On you go 

5 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

She's acting in the same way as a compulsive gambler.    Digging a hole and cannot perceive of any other outcome other than a full recovery of all losses or total loss.    Damage limitation = worse than total losses.

Stopping and listening (real listening) and changing course = damage limitation,   which = partial loss.    Not acceptable.     It's full recovery of all losses (her deal wins) or total train wreck (no deal).

All aboard the self destruction express.

Tory party has more or less ceased to function as a party tonight.

It's every MP for themselves.

No discipline and no authority.

:jjyay:

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

She's acting in the same way as a compulsive gambler.    Digging a hole and cannot perceive of any other outcome other than a full recovery of all losses or total loss.    Damage limitation = worse than total losses.

Stopping and listening (real listening) and changing course = damage limitation,   which = partial loss.    Not acceptable.     It's full recovery of all losses (her deal wins) or total train wreck (no deal).

All aboard the self destruction express.

There will be an amendment put on tomorrow that will remove her 20th March nonsense.

Just now, Cade said:

Tory party has more or less ceased to function as a party tonight.

It's every MP for themselves.

No discipline and no authority.

:jjyay:

But a party,   the Tories especially,   have a great resilience.     For domestic politics and continuing to occupy power,   they will seamlessly recover their shared interests and march under a bogus banner of shared values.    We're all still Tories,    the great all nation political force.    

Shared values = let's stick together 'cos we all have too much to lose.

David Mundell not resigning.    

:orly?:

He then went on to rob a bank and kill someone because you might as well have three non-resigning things at once to save time.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Government Whip Mike Freer did not follow the whip????

You beat me to it! This is beyond farce

Nadhim Zahawi

"Any minister who defied the whip should resign".

Said the minister in a relative minor position... until more senior positions become vacant.

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Costanza said:

There's no need for the Thick of It to return.

Nicola Murray's been "in charge" for some time now

2 minutes ago, Costanza said:

You beat me to it! This is beyond farce

I know I shouldn't laugh, but my bins are still getting emptied, taxes collected etc....

But I'm loving watching Westminster and especially the Tory party eat itself to death from the inside.

On the back of Smithee's point. What has happened to the civil service in this? They are meant to be the constant that stops this shit from happening.

Sir Humphrey would have put this to bed months ago.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

On the back of Smithee's point. What has happened to the civil service in this? They are meant to be the constant that stops this shit from happening.

Sir Humphrey would have put this to bed months ago.

The PM wont listen to the Chancellor so I think it's remote she'll listen to a permanent secretary.    

She has special advisors.    Strategists.     Usually extremely clever and devious characters.

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Have no clue what is going on.

Neither does the government so you're in good company.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

The PM wont listen to the Chancellor so I think it's remote she'll listen to a permanent secretary.    

She has special advisors.    Strategists.     Usually extremely clever and devious characters.

Special advisors ain't civil servants as you know.

As I say Sir Humphrey would have had this sorted by now???...if you say so....Yes Prime Minister.

Just now, Notts1874 said:

Special advisors ain't civil servants as you know.

As I say Sir Humphrey would have had this sorted by now???...if you say so....Yes Prime Minister.

:D  May is no Jim Hacker.    David Mundell is Jim Hacker.

Just now, Victorian said:

:D  May is no Jim Hacker.    David Mundell is Jim Hacker.

Incorrect. Jim Hacker had principles while he was just a minister ???.

Might go and watch a couple of episodes. Brilliant tv.

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Coldwar Steve knocks it out the park as usual ???

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_D1kme6OX0AAJsIK.jpg

Bungle!

I see the big gay bear from Rainbow's there too. 

Another scenario is that Bercew might not even allow a third vote for Mays deal if no significant change has happened. 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Have no clue what is going on.

Haud the bus - Theresa May's a Jambo. ?

With sincere apologies to Alim  if he's not really the PM.

Class of 75
8 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

I know I shouldn't laugh, but my bins are still getting emptied, taxes collected etc....

But I'm loving watching Westminster and especially the Tory party eat itself to death from the inside.

But also seeing Democracy denied? 

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, Victorian said:

She doesn't listen to anyone at all. 

She has a plan (?) and by **** is she going to see it through.

You only had to watch her behaviour and body language last night immediately after the loss of the second vote. She has maniacal tendencies, no question.

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

And you are quoting from that reliable rag of an excuse for a news paper? Words fail me

Meanwhile you're ignoring that farage is a sheister who can't be arsed doing the job he's paid 100 grand a year to do, can't be arsed representing his constituents.

Says it all that you think he's a reliable politician, sorry, the most reliable politician. 

17 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

And you are quoting from that reliable rag of an excuse for a news paper? Words fail me

He was quoted in an interview. 

Maybe you could provide me evidence he denied saying it or sued the Mirror for misquoting him.

gashauskis9
10 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Steve Baker made it clear last night that the ERG are not budging and will continue to vote the deal down, regardless of the position on no deal.  Commentators now believing that the ERG are closer to Labour’s position than their own party’s which is laughable.  This contradicts Mogg’s position so it seems like pretty much every faction of politics at the moment is split.

The damage this is causing will take years to fix.  When far right and far left become politically aligned, you know you’re ****ed.  Thatcher’s Britain mark 2.

Says a lot for the Tories when they go to bed with the D U P.In N I they represent 16% yet rule the 100%. I have never seen such scum in my life.Apart from Moggs.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

But also seeing Democracy denied? 

You do realise this is democracy in action, don't you? 

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )