Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Sorry for being thick but if no agreement is reached in Parliament / with the EU, do we still leave on the 29th with no deal?

As it stands right now yes but if that looks likely then a new motion to block no deal will be put forward, and this time it will be binding, forcing either an extension or cancellation of article 50

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

I don't completely follow the politics -- is a confidence vote in the cards? How could anyone in good faith say they had confidence in her government?

I think there's a reasonable chance the ERG group will decide that May deal will have to be done - it may be their only chance. They could save face if May can get a further 'clarification' when she goes to the EU next week

Shanks said no
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Yes as things stand 

Need a law passed by Parliament to change that 

Just now, Victorian said:

In theory yes.    May appears to be ignoring these votes.   

Cheers, I was trying to follow it in the gym but my headphones failed

Cruyff Turn
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Sorry for being thick but if no agreement is reached in Parliament / with the EU, do we still leave on the 29th with no deal?

If Mays vote is voted down again and again, no extension agreed or no new deal agreed, then technically it still is the default legal position regardless of tonight’s vote being ‘binding’ unless the Government legislates against it and the EU agrees. 

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes as things stand 

Need a law passed by Parliament to change that 

Just a statutory instrument I think (amending the existing law) - probably not necessary isf an extension is agreed with EU

May's deal is coming back first before the government will seek a longer extension.     They wont answer the question whether legislation will be made to remove no deal (parliamentary will expressed).     

They wont legislate to enact this vote.

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Is it likely the Government will bring forward legislation against No deal after tonight? 

No.    

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

Tomorrow's bonkers vote is to set a deadline for passing May's deal (yes, the exact same one) by next wednesday. 

If the deal is passed, the Govt will beg for an Article 50 extension until June 30th.

If the deal is not passed, the Govt will beg for a longer extension and start preparing for the EU elections.

Feck knows what happens if this motion to set a deadline is blocked.

:gok:

Cruyff Turn

Will the rest of the house now cave in to Mays deal then now that she’s making it the only option? 

What a shambles.

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Will the rest of the house now cave in to Mays deal then now that she’s making it the only option? 

What a shambles.

That's the strategy.     More forced process.     

Class of 75
4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Upon what basis do you think the UK should be able to dictate its customs and border terms with an entity it has declared it no longer wants to be a part of? The UK literally does not produce enough food currently to feed itself without trade from the party you want to drive a hard bargain with. Exactly what negotiating advantages do you think you have?

The EU has made it quite clear by now that it does not want a no deal Brexit, but that if the alternative is having London dictate terms to it, it will take it and let the UK hang by its own rope in the noose it tied for itself. And yet, perched on the platform below the gallows, the UK seems intent on wagging its finger at the UK saying, "right, I'm warning you..."

The UK electorate voted in a legal referendum to leave the EU.  We have not created a noose with which we will hang ourselves. I don't follow project fear and expect that the EU needs the UK more than we need it. I am quite sure if we dictate the terms and stay strong they will agree. If you are an American as your moniker suggests then surely given your nation's history and the events of 1776 you would agree with a population having the right to self determination, being able to set their own laws and taxation? 

Class of 75
22 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Ruling out a no deal exit would mean doing exactly that.

It does and makes the UK look weak. 

Just now, Class of 75 said:

It does and makes the UK look weak. 

The UK looks weak because our politicians couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. Ruling out no deal shows the world that we actually have some common sense.

Cruyff Turn
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That's the strategy.     More forced process.     

It surely cannot happen if it has already been rejected twice? The other parties are winning and they’d lose face if they caved. 

There is no danger she’ll get a short extension either. The EU will tell her to bolt. There could still be a veto veto by Poland or Italy against it anyway. 

And if there is an extension and there is EU Parliamentary elections, waves of Brexiteer MEP’s will be elected. 

Any chance the opposition will table another motion of no confidence now?

It surely cannot happen if it has already been rejected twice? The other parties are winning and they’d lose face if they caved. 

There is no danger she’ll get a short extension either. The EU will tell her to bolt. There could still be a veto veto by Poland or Italy against it anyway. 

And if there is an extension and there is EU Parliamentary elections, waves of Brexiteer MEP’s will be elected. 

If there's any veto, it could well be from Hungary.

Cruyff Turn
6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Wee Davie Mundell on the list. 

Fluffy was never going to vote against or for his government, he’d have to resign ffs.

Some indications that the ERG have caved and will vote for MV3.    It's not enough.    But add the DUP and it will be enough.      Further funding for NI?    Another billion?     More?     Bedroom each in Buckingham Palace?

Cruyff Turn
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Some indications that the ERG have caved and will vote for MV3.    It's not enough.    But add the DUP and it will be enough.      Further funding for NI?    Another billion?     More?     Bedroom each in Buckingham Palace?

The DUP won’t vote unless there’s a hard border though? 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Maybe.    It would be very very tight.

MV3 is coming very soon though.   I reckon early-mid next week.     Their request for an extension depends on the result.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If there's any veto, it could well be from Hungary.

It might happen. 

Farage has confirmed he is trying to get other countries to ensure Brexit takes place. 

The DUP won’t vote unless there’s a hard border though? 

You may find that the attorney general will soon say   "oh gosh... my advice was incorrect.    I made an incredible mistake"

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

As long as no Labour or other opposition MPs were to vote with the government, I think all it would take is 4 or so Tory MPs to vote against. Definitely doable.

Tories 314 + DUP 10 = 324

Others (excluding Sinn Fein): 317

Cruyff Turn
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Farage has confirmed he is trying to get other countries to ensure Brexit takes place. 

IDS and some other Tory’s also met with members of the Polish cabinet.

Others met with the Italian deputy

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

You may find that the attorney general will soon say   "oh gosh... my advice was incorrect.    I made an incredible mistake"

Could even picture the pompous twat saying that.

Assuming confidence motion does not appear,   very soon Corbyn will be accused of avoiding one because he knows he would win it.    This is a certainty.    It could have merit.

Edited by Victorian

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As long as no Labour or other opposition MPs were to vote with the government, I think all it would take is 4 or so Tory MPs to vote against. Definitely doable.

Tories 314 + DUP 10 = 324

Others (excluding Sinn Fein): 317

The hardcore Brexiteers will never vote for it as long as there’s a chance that they could still get what their no deal. She’ll need opposition votes. 

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

The hardcore Brexiteers will never vote for it as long as there’s a chance that they could still get what their no deal. She’ll need opposition votes. 

Ah, good point.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Maybe but I guess everyone has a point where they blink. I accept that the ERG are ignorant but you would have to be seriously thick to think that no deal can proceed. The opposition to it is massive, even amongst some who voted leave

SwindonJambo
18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Whether you agree with him or not, there is pretty much universal agreement that Farage is an absolute bellend.

49 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Cheers, I was trying to follow it in the gym but my headphones failed

I understand listening to it may wind you up and help the workout but try some good old rock its less stressful ?

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Maybe but I guess everyone has a point where they blink. I accept that the ERG are ignorant but you would have to be seriously thick to think that no deal can proceed. The opposition to it is massive, even amongst some who voted leave

The trouble is that the zealots are hopelessly obsessed that removing no-deal and extending art50 is ALL about reversing the referendum.     It is for a small minority in parliament but the majority would readily accept and respect Brexit as long as we row back from a disorderly Brexit and agree an acceptable deal.  

It is not about stopping Brexit but the zealots are utterly paranoid beyond all reason that it is.     Without that paranoia,    parliament would be much closer to a good outcome.

Not only have the Brexit zealots brought about Brexit but their sick obsession is a major obstacle to a reasonable process.

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Agree it is massive in Parliament but there’s a huge percentage of the English public that want a no deal and to completely rid themselves of the EU. If the hardcore Brexiteers back down now, then they’ll never get as close as this again. 

24 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It is vile that our futures are being put at risk by such things as you suggest at the bottom of your post. Unfortunately it is true. 

Class of 75
32 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The UK looks weak because our politicians couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. Ruling out no deal shows the world that we actually have some common sense.

On the contrary, it plays into the hands of those who wish to remain and circumvent democracy and also removes our last strong hand. 

Deputy Chair for ERG said on Sky News that he would vote against MV3 if it comes forward next week.

Class of 75
4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Whether you agree with him or not, there is pretty much universal agreement that Farage is an absolute bellend.

Sorry mate have to disagree. Throughout this whole fiasco he has been the only reliable politician 

The Mighty Thor

Mark Francois was on Sky saying ERG will not vote for MV 3.0 as it stands. 

Their view is it ties UK to EU indefinitely.

He's still a fud of the highest order though.

On the contrary, it plays into the hands of those who wish to remain and circumvent democracy and also removes our last strong hand. 

We never had a strong hand. "Let us have what we want or we'll leave without a deal and feck you up!". Perhaps that's how we used to do things in the days of gunboat diplomacy (you no doubt call them the "good old days"), but we're not strong enough an actor in the modern world to get away with it now. Modern diplomacy is cleverer than that, or it should be anyway.

The Mighty Thor

Sorry mate have to disagree. Throughout this whole fiasco he has been the only reliable politician 

In that he has remained a complete tool throughout?

He's an irrelevance.

1 minute ago, Class of 75 said:

Quelle surprise. :D

Cruyff Turn
Just now, Cade said:

Aye, but Moggy says he might vote for it, and he's the actual chair of the ERG.

Moggys full of shit. This is his and his fathers lifes work. 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Aye, but Moggy says he might vote for it, and he's the actual chair of the ERG.

Mogg probably would vote for MV. 

He's that type of guy. It's written all over him.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )