What's your local...?

tommythejambo

Guest S.U.S.S.
it was berts in stockbridge til they ruined it :sad:

If I want a pint locally now it's either the Bailey or the Antiquary.

I used to drink there a few years ago, cracking pub, what have they done to it?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dr. Bapswent

Terrifying thread.

Makes you realise how many KBers youv probably stood next too while having a pint.

Diggers is nearest, but rarely in there or other nearby pubs. Back over to my parents side of town I'll be in Swannys.

But generally when out with mates, the meeting point is generally the Golf or Cloisters.

Say What Again
Makes you realise how many KBers youv probably stood next too while having a pint.

I was thinking that yesterday.

The Ellwyn has been mentioned on here about 5 times. It's not the biggest pub in the world and I know a fairly high percentage of the people that drink there (missus used to work there).

Yet on this thread, the only person I know is Jed the Jedi.

I'll be suspicious of everyone in there from now on. ;)

tommythejambo
I was thinking that myself. I always thought that side of town was full of hibbies.

Never. More Hearts than anything out of the people I know. More jungle Jims than Hibbies aswell.

Not in the retirement flats eh? :rolleyes:

FWIW, I will tell you about my local haunts. I used to live in Meadowbank. Used to work in Safeway when I was younger (pre Morrison's takeover), we were always in the Scottie on a Sat night. Either there or Broadfields (even though predominantly a hibs boozer). Always felt a better class when I was in there.

Used to also go to the Elwyn plenty, frequent the Crown and Cushion, The snooker centre, The Golden Gates and The Lady Nairn, were amongst my other locals at the time.

Moved to Carricknowe when I left the folks. Corrie Inn's the dugs baws (or was). Used to have Jinty and Jim in charge. Used to also frequent the Cakky Inn, Centurian and the Rainbow. (used to have plenty of pals from the area at the time, before I had kids and the wife banned me from going out).

Moved to Rosyth, used to just drink in Gorgie on matchdays, but always met in the Corrie, as it was such a good boozer.

Now I'm in Glasgow, its the Craigfoot. By far the best pub I've ever drank in. If you can see past the sectarian Rangers fans, the drugs and the fighting. Seriously though, its no bad.

So did I. The Scottie's used to be packed on a Friday and Saturday night, usually with a load of Safeway folk. That place must have made a killing.

Now when I'm brave enough to go in its usually dead - which hasnt been for years

northfieldhearts
I never had you down as a woman,your posts were so manly.;)

you've not seen my missus!!

Everybody loves Baz

My local would be,

Fitba season :- The Reyesville ,Westfields,

Other Seasons:- The Bowling Club, Porters, The Goth & The Wee Club(ex miners club)

they are all welcome to travel on the porty hearts bus :)

my local, when i can be @rsed dragging myself away from my wee home bar, is the dasher...............its an aquired taste :dribble:

THE DASHER areal classy joint but not quite as classy as the X-Keys in Tranent!!!!!!!!!

Tower Inn or The Brig 4 me

Closest boozer to me is probably Dickens.

My local used to be The Oak in Corstorphine, which i suppose still is, in that this is the pub I am mostly likely to visit.

Tynie Arms before the games, but that may change...

Say What Again
Lots of Willowbrae/Northfield/Piershill shouts on this thread so here are my locals:

Ellwyn (full of ***** - taxi drivers and golfers). The only boozer where you struggle to get to the bar despite there only being 3 folk in - tossers that insist on sitting at the bar blocking everyone's way.

You've got that spot on!

I've never been in a pub, or in fact any place, in my life where there's such a mass gathering of golfers - it's like a clubhouse!

Add to that the fact they talk about constantly, and watch it on TV constantly. It does my fecking tits.

The manager turned the only TV showing the Germany v Austria game, over to the climax of the US Open on Monday. The US Open that was already showing on 2 other TV's!

When we complained we were told 'he'd switch all the TV's off and everybody could **** off home and watch it in their house'.

Clown.

Jed The Jedi
You've got that spot on!

I've never been in a pub, or in fact any place, in my life where there's such a mass gathering of golfers - it's like a clubhouse!

Add to that the fact they talk about constantly, and watch it on TV constantly. It does my fecking tits.

The manager turned the only TV showing the Germany v Austria game, over to the climax of the US Open on Monday. The US Open that was already showing on 2 other TV's!

When we complained we were told 'he'd switch all the TV's off and everybody could **** off home and watch it in their house'.

Clown.

Hear Hear

You've got that spot on!

Clown.

Sounds like he is in the wrong job. Although it amazes me how many times I think that after encounters with bar staff in this country.

Hardly ever seems to happen in foreign countries though. In Europe especially the Bar workers ( usually men ) seem to take a lot of pride in their work.

Anyway, I'm another for The Oak in Corstorphine.

Jed The Jedi
I was thinking that yesterday.

The Ellwyn has been mentioned on here about 5 times. It's not the biggest pub in the world and I know a fairly high percentage of the people that drink there (missus used to work there).

Yet on this thread, the only person I know is Jed the Jedi.

I'll be suspicious of everyone in there from now on. ;)

Sounds like we'll have to get a rouges gallery of Kickbackers in there J.

Big notice board that you put your photo on and stick your username next to, be a bit of a giggle.

And after 30 secs A would tear it down and bar everyone connected.:rolleyes:

My local during the week and on Sundays is The Oak in Corstorphine. On a Saturday you can find me in The Old Bell on Causewayside.

The Cairneyhill Inn is fast becoming a howff so drink in the Pitfirrane in Crossford now. Dunfermline, normally the Seven Kings.

When I stayed in Linlithgow, it was either the Football and Cricketers, the Swan or the Hole in the wa'.

Hole in the wa's a right sellick pub, was in esterday for the marches but never stayed long. Swan's not bad but the pub across the road, The Crown is a decent wee boozer.

The Old Tolbooth
You've got that spot on!

Clown.

Christ, if someone asked for golf to be put on in the Busy Bee when football was on they would get lynched! :eek:

I'd consider the Polton Inn to be my "local".

But more local would probably be the Laird and Dog, the Reyesville, or the Justinlees. Melville Inn is local now too I guess.

Many bad drinking memories of the Reyesville and the Just, some but far less of the Polton Inn and the Laird.

I'd suppose the closest pub to me would either be the Brewers Fayre or if that doesn't count, the Harbour Inn. Only been in those pubs once each though.

Pete Seeger
Christ, if someone asked for golf to be put on in the Busy Bee when football was on they would get lynched! :eek:

Where is the Busy Bee?

Back in the good old days, when I lived in Edinburgh & was young, I used to drink in the Clerie Inn (Nearest to where I lived) or the Rainbow or the Oak.

My local now is called Smiths, in Bourne, Lincs.

Back in the good old days, when I lived in Edinburgh & was young, I used to drink in the Clerie Inn (Nearest to where I lived) or the Rainbow or the Oak.

My local now is called Smiths, in Bourne, Lincs.

Mike on his way home from Smiths in Bourne.....

BDD_tumbleweed_head_perfectuk.jpg

I thought yours would be the Sanctuary in Tothill Street. ;)

I was thinking that myself. I always thought that side of town was full of hibbies.

I thought so too before I moved to Porty 5 years ago, there's a lot more Jambos than I expected. Still far too many hobos though... ;)

Closest are the Marionville or Hop,Step and Jump.

I tend to frequent either the Golden Gates or the Artisan.

Although Porters is a laugh and cheap as chips.

When I was young and andrew porter was still alive it became my local a great pub and one of only two decent Belhaven boozers in Edinburgh back then. There was never any trouble and Andrew was not averse to giving out the odd free round, which was always a bonus, miles better and safer than Pi "just check your machette in at door"ckwicks. On my 18th we all went in and Andrew (imagine a ginger hagrid all those too young to remember the great man) had this opening line "What do you want SH**face" I turned to my mate's old man and said "Mr Webster he called me SH**face what do I do now?". "Four pints of 80/- you old B******"" said he and there they were no problem. It turns out the clientele for next door would spend 10 mins arguing with him getting more and more irate till they would say "Stick yer pub where the sun don't shine" or words to that effect before storming out the place. hence the no trouble. Great boozer, great beer (especially the free ones) and Brilliant bar staff. I have come over all nostalgic for the 70s writing this loads of happy memories and great tales of there. there was a guy who had a blacksmith's shop round the lane who would come in after work to slake his thirst and every night at about 9 , when he had had too much, he would just keel over and collapse on the floor, sleep for about 30 mins then get up and leave. Spooked the hell out of me the first time i saw it but never batted an eyelid subsequently. I think I will need to make a pilgrimage there soon.

Nowadays my local is the station hotel but hardly ever go there. My drinking pub of choice is the alehouse in Behind the Wall or the halfway house both right next to stations too.

I have three in the various places I could call home, if we're referring to nearby;

- The Reliance, Leeds. Quite a nice place, unlike most of the pubs in the vicinity. It's slightly too far out of the city centre (10 minutes) for an after work session though, so rarely there. Only been in once in fact. There's better in town and the classic Angel, a dive but ?1.67 a pint.

- The Moorings, South Queensferry. Not the greates of pubs. Still rank it above rip-off central though! (Orocco Pier).

- The Fluke, Inverness. Meh. It's alright. Only ever go in with the old man on random occasions like Christmas Day.

When back in Edinburgh it all depends on where I'm staying when not nipping out to the Ferry but can generally be found frequenting The Merlin (as its near my old work and a few folk still drink there), Robbies as its right next to a few mates flat, and Carriers Quarters down at the Shore, cos it's the Daddy.

davemclaren
Many bad drinking memories of the Reyesville and the Just, some but far less of the Polton Inn and the Laird.

I'd suppose the closest pub to me would either be the Brewers Fayre or if that doesn't count, the Harbour Inn. Only been in those pubs once each though.

The Just used to be a nice wee pub before they modernised it and opened it up. The Reyesville was my local when I stayed in Scollon Avenue many moons ago...

My local tonight is The Struan Hotel.

Tomorrow when I move into my new flat it will be the numerous establishments on Dalry Road. I'll probably frequent the Haymarket Bar if anything. Nice.

winston churchill
Where is the Busy Bee?

saughton mains,the pubs bang in the middle of the estate.

winston churchill

is that charlie chalks/brewsters.

i was in there the night with the weeman.

Jimmy McNulty

In Penicuik: Crown Inn / Railway Tavern

Edinburgh: Southsider

Toronto: Duke of York

Ottawa: ???? No idea. Place is a cultural wasteland.

Polwarth Tavern , Ettrick Hotel and the Polwarth Bowling club -- sport on TV and very cheap prices at the last named but members only.

is that charlie chalks/brewsters.

i was in there the night with the weeman.

It's called something like "Newhaven Quay" IIRC, between Loch Fyne and the Next Generation.

gorgie twins

In Penicuik it would have to be the Crown, the Royal or the Navaar but do try to avoid going out in Penicuik these days!!

On footie days it is usually Robbos followed by Shakespeares!

And my local at work would probably be Baroque!

winston churchill
It's called something like "Newhaven Quay" IIRC, between Loch Fyne and the Next Generation.

yip that's the name they call it now.i take the wee man to the kids soft play at the back of the eating area.

My nearest bar is now the claremont bar but their gay rubber nights on a saturday put me off a bit...

Still frequent the Antiquary and if I'm not in there I'll be found in the Cask and Barrel.

winston churchill
My nearest bar is now the claremont bar but their gay rubber nights on a saturday put me off a bit...

Still frequent the Antiquary and if I'm not in there I'll be found in the Cask and Barrel.

the first pub i ever tasted continental lager in 25 years ago:dribble:.

i used to pop in for a few as a teenager on our way to cindarellas:cool:

Could be interesting in the Ellwyn this weekend. Lots of people eyeing each other suspiciously over the rim of their pint glass and managing to remain silent until a few too many has them asking each person in turn what their 'Kickback name' is....hehe.

You'll all be best chums by Monday. :biggrin:

portobellojambo1
Could be interesting in the Ellwyn this weekend. Lots of people eyeing each other suspiciously over the rim of their pint glass and managing to remain silent until a few too many has them asking each person in turn what their 'Kickback name' is....hehe.

You'll all be best chums by Monday. :biggrin:

Or standing together on the 1st tee at Craigentinny Golf Course, talking about golf.

Glamorgan Jambo
There you go ukol. Can only assume the person who wrote the review is not a shareholder in the establishment, assuming said person is still alive.

http://www.myvillage.com/edinburgh/bars&Music-review-the_busy_bee.htm

Many years back when I was working in the store (Scotmid) over my summer holidays I got a short notice 1 day transfer to the Saughton Mains branch. At lunch time there was nowhere else to go except the Busy Bee and I clearly remember getting a pint and asking if they had any sandwiches and being offered a corned beef sandwich they admitted had been there almost a week. haven't been back since.

I used to frequent the Walk Inn back in the days it was the Tommy Younger bar.

My local now is called the Blacksmiths Arms.

Dix Handley

Used to be the Dugs Bawes before its still beating heart was ripped

out.

Had some of the best times of my life down there, especially in the

summer..when we got one.

A big shout to all the ex regulars and ex staff from when it was a

proper boozer...wish "going down the dugs" was still a pleasurable

experience..sadly nothing locally comes close nowadays.:sad:

The Old Tolbooth
Where is the Busy Bee?

It's right in the middle of Saughton Mains mate (sorry, I only just noticed your post there)

The Old Tolbooth
There you go ukol. Can only assume the person who wrote the review is not a shareholder in the establishment, assuming said person is still alive.

http://www.myvillage.com/edinburgh/bars&Music-review-the_busy_bee.htm

Ha ha! That's some report Iain, that's what happens when you walk in there with a Hibs top on usually :D

To be fair, it's not that bad, apart from the time I took some of my mates there from Gala (after telling them it was an ok place) after the semi gubbing of Hibs, and there was fighting outside and the police were there who shut the pub early.

I still take stick for that one :confused:

Say What Again
Or standing together on the 1st tee at Craigentinny Golf Course, talking about golf.

Not me mate - that place has put me off golf for life!

And tsk tsk, Craigentinny is a cooncil course - you wouldn't catch the Ellywn golfers (all of whom are better than Tiger Woods) down there.

Boaby Ewing

In Edinburgh it's probably the Corrie Inn.

In London, The Cumberland, five minutes up the road from the F3K.

F3K for Hearts games and pool.

There's a boozer right next door to my place, but frankly the barmaid looks like a manky junky who I don't want touching my glass. And the regulars aren't much better.

Last time I was in there the pub pitbull made it's own unique brand of love all over the carpet. Classy.

Archived