What's your local...?

tommythejambo

portobellojambo1

Nearest pub is The Three Monkeys, but with a name like that I avoid it (stupid name for a fecking pub). If I do drink in Portobello it would be The Foresters.

When I lived up Niddrie used to frequent such lovely establishments as The Marischal Arms, Craigmillar Castle Tavern and even tried The White House on occasions.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say What Again
Not in the retirement flats eh? :rolleyes:

Actually mate - if it's the flats I think you mean - I do!

They were originally built for old folk, but as the old folk died off, the flats went up for sale. I moved in as a fresh faced 21 year old in 1996.

The new 'retirement flats', which are probably better classed as Sheltered Housing, are 1 street down at Moira Park.

Say What Again
The Ellwyn is full of Zorro's.

Apart from Jack of Hearts that is.

Nice one.

And true (if I knew what a Zorro was).

Sounds true though :)

Say What Again
Although Porters is a laugh and cheap as chips.

Mate of mine used to work there about 10 years ago. I used to go in and get the usual ?10 change after handing over a ?5.

I never had a bit of bother myself, but saw enough to make my small profit insignificant. :eek:

The Old Tolbooth

When I was in Edinburgh my local used to be the Busy Bee, cracking rough wee boozer with superb locals.

In Gala it was always the Railway Inn or the Gluepot, and now in Rosyth it's probably the Gladyer Inn, or the Civil Service Club.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Robbies for footie, The Pond with the dog or Sofi's or Boda

The Loch Inn is my local but I'll never go in there as long as I have a pulse

Usually just The Lady Nairne, no really a fan of any of the other pubs round Northfield. Does anyone know what's going to happen to the Right Wing now that it's shut? It's no great loss as it was a bit of a dive, I've heard it's going to become a chinese resturant.

yvonnejambo
The Laird and Dog in Lasswade.

That pub brings back memories...We used to go down from Penicuik and beat Laird and Dog team at pool regulary :)

My locals depending where I am:

Ullapool- The Arch

Penicuik-The Crown

Footy days-The Ardmillan

Robbies for footie, The Pond with the dog or Sofi's or Boda

The Loch Inn is my local but I'll never go in there as long as I have a pulse

If it was about proximity then Robbie's would be mine if I was brave enough to actually go out in Leith. Been in Boda a few times and that was okay but I'm just not that fussed about drinking locally.

My real locals are still the same as they were when I was in my teens...the Sheeps Heid and the Lady Nairne. Spent far too much time during my formative years in Bertie's so that should probably get a shout too. Them were the days.

:)

Commander Harris
If it was about proximity then Robbie's would be mine if I was brave enough to actually go out in Leith. Been in Boda a few times and that was okay but I'm just not that fussed about drinking locally.

My real locals are still the same as they were when I was in my teens...the Sheeps Heid and the Lady Nairne. Spent far too much time during my formative years in Bertie's so that should probably get a shout too. Them were the days.

berties! :biggrin:

what a place :)

My local out here in Camelon is the Union Inn - a proper local, nothing better than sitting by the canal with a pint of Guiness.

Before I moved to Falkirk area it was always a toss up between Old Chain Pier at Trinity Bridge or Smithies at Cannonmills. Still frequent both when I'm out with the old gang in town.

My favourite after work haunt is Guildford Arms. Can casually leave the bar at 11:31pm after a night on the Deuchars and comfortably make my last train home at 11:33pm.

Less than 3 mins from either Diggers, Caley Sample rooms, Golden rule, Polwarth tavern, McCowans or Fountain. So, I have a fair choice.

Same here although its The Diggers and The Rule for me. Not a great fan of the others

Gavsy Van Gaverson
The one and only Crofters.

Was my local for years. It had got a bit **** and a bit mental in the last few years. Not sure what it is like now as I've not been in on a Friday/Saturday night for about a year. Still go in for something to eat now and again.

I've now moved to Carrick Knowe and drink in both the CKI and the Corrie Inn. I've drunk in both for years but frequent them more often nowadays :)

The Future's Maroon

Used to drink in The Moat Bar for about 10 years until they recently changed it to a posh gaff...Oscars....still not bad but a bit pricey!

So I have now moved along to The Mill/Locarno/Shandon - sometimes wander down to The Chesser or Luckies!

p.s. Bring back The Moat!

When I stayed with my folks it was The Ellwyn, Scotties, Meadowbank Snooker Centre, Right Wing, Willowbrae (Now Shut),The Bluebell (Also Shut),Golden Gates and MacArthurs.

Now if I'm allowed out it's The Jooglie Brig (Musselburgh), The Lady Nairne or very occasionally The Scotties.

Dunk-Section G

I don't really go to my local. But I am a regular at the Beechwood BC in Roseburn, Mathers at the West End and Robbos.

The Busy Bee.

I've yet to go in though.

Get yersel in, it's a good wee pub and the locals will make you welcome, when John moved up from Gala, he was made very welcome:)

Couple of games of pool with the locals and you'll feel as though you';ve known them for ages;)

coppercrutch

Don't really have one at the moment.

Used to be the Barnton. Period in the Cramond Brig too. Then a year or so in the Cramond Inn. Rainbow for a while too when the karaoke was busy and a great laugh. (Does FakeBake boy still have the 'lucky box' game.....)

More recently Mid Yoken for a fair while. Must have bumped into a certain poster once or twice without even knowing it.....;)

The Railway in Haddington. The one I watch the football in and start a Saturday night (During the summer with no Hearts games I start in the afternoon).

On the Saturday I will also head to the Plough, Gardners and Pheasant.

My local out here in Camelon is the Union Inn - a proper local, nothing better than sitting by the canal with a pint of Guiness.

Before I moved to Falkirk area it was always a toss up between Old Chain Pier at Trinity Bridge or Smithies at Cannonmills. Still frequent both when I'm out with the old gang in town.

My favourite after work haunt is Guildford Arms. Can casually leave the bar at 11:31pm after a night on the Deuchars and comfortably make my last train home at 11:33pm.

I sometimes go in there too,its lovely in the summer

When I was in Edinburgh my local used to be the Busy Bee, cracking rough wee boozer with superb locals.

In Gala it was always the Railway Inn or the Gluepot, and now in Rosyth it's probably the Gladyer Inn, or the Civil Service Club.

OMG.

The football and cricketers in lithgae. :mj_zivili:

I got thrown out there one friday night, for goading Hibbies, and singing The Hearts song! :P:wacko:

Lynn:mj_zivili::ninja:

Who owns that place?

Is he any good?;)

Living Legend in the building! ;) he he he...

:ninja:

The Mid in drumbrae/east craigs is technically another of my glorious locals...

Got off the 31 bus the other day and needed a pish and had the munchies. Went in bought a packet of crisps and used the toilet. On my way out what can only be described as a plooky wee ned with man tits and a 40yr old gut asked me if i "thought this place was a feckin toilet stop". (what the hell this had to do with him i'll never know)

I stopped and asked him if he was indeed talking to me. He then proceeded to tell me every swear word he has ever learnt, then ask me to wait whilst he got his mates cos they were going to "do me".

Needless to say i didnt hang around.

Lovely place with beautiful people. Hopefully it'll burn down soon.

Actually, Busby's pub wasn't my local...hehe. I grww up in Armadale, and there were lots of pubs in my area. Cavalier, The Corrie, The Vu Peak, The Regal Bar...all within a few minutes walk. When I moved to LIvingston it was The Copper Tun, and the Snooker Club. Here in Japan...it's the local supermarket for a ton of chu hi's! :P

Cheers:mj_zivili:

Lynn:ninja:

I got thrown out there one friday night, for goading Hibbies, and singing The Hearts song! :P:wacko:

Lynn:mj_zivili::ninja:

They still talk about it to this day. ;)

The Railway in Haddington. The one I watch the football in and start a Saturday night (During the summer with no Hearts games I start in the afternoon).

On the Saturday I will also head to the Plough, Gardners and Pheasant.

The Railway's a bit of a hobo pub is it not?

tommythejambo
Lady Nairne or the Elwyn. Scotties & Broadies full of jakes & neds.

Well that'll make me either a jake or a ned. Wouldn't say I was either.

Never been a fan of the Nairne pints are over-priced and hinging.

For someone who ased earlier the Right Wing is becoming a Chinese Restuarant but they seem to be taking their time about it, considering there was already a resturant and a kitchen in the place.

the forresters is closest for me but also like the ormalie, dalradia or seahaven

PontiusPilate
Closest are the Marionville or Hop,Step and Jump.

I tend to frequent either the Golden Gates or the Artisan.

Although Porters is a laugh and cheap as chips.

Gates has gone right down hill since that @rrse of a new manager has taken over he shut it at lunch time to go to the bank! used to be a regular now taken my custom to jocks lodge.

Crows Nest in Hackensack.

Lovely place,full of old people, a good few of whom I'm sure are in drag.

Great place.

Ron Burgundy
Gates has gone right down hill since that @rrse of a new manager has taken over he shut it at lunch time to go to the bank! used to be a regular now taken my custom to jocks lodge.

Not been in for a couple of weeks.

Tam ran a tight ship and was a top bloke also.

Have they fixed the freakin telly yet?

Grey horse is nearest to me, but a Hibee and sellick pub. been in twice, drunk both times :o

northfieldhearts
Totally agree about Scotties and Broadfields (Scotties being the worst of the 2).

How often are you in the Ellwyn?

once a month!! since i had the bairn, nights out are few and far between!!

Ron Burgundy
once a month!! since i had the bairn, nights out are few and far between!!

I never had you down as a woman,your posts were so manly.;)

PontiusPilate
Not been in for a couple of weeks.

Tam ran a tight ship and was a top bloke also.

Have they fixed the freakin telly yet?

Nope telly is still knackered. Most of the regulars have gone elsewhere.

Pete Seeger
This seems like a Porty/Northfield thread.

Am loving it. ;)

I was thinking that myself. I always thought that side of town was full of hibbies.

chester copperpot
I was thinking that myself. I always thought that side of town was full of hibbies.

Never, I grew up with a hobo father, but never supported that lot. I was of a better intelligence than that lot. ;)

This seems like a Porty/Northfield thread.

Am loving it. ;)

they are all welcome to travel on the porty hearts bus :)

my local, when i can be @rsed dragging myself away from my wee home bar, is the dasher...............its an aquired taste :dribble:

The Future's Maroon
Never, I grew up with a hobo father, but never supported that lot. I was of a better intelligence than that lot. ;)
Your lucky, my whole family (both sides) exceot one uncle are Hobo's!!!

:107years:

Really? My dad is also a Hobo. Wonder if they console each other over pints at the bowling club? Hehe.

Definitely a significant number from around Porty/Willowbrae area, more than I would have expected too. Good though, obviously. Many moons ago I used to work in the Esso on Willowbrae Road (now a Tesco) and this group of good-for-nothings used to hang about outside endlessly...almost all of them in Hobo colours of some description. I always thought there were more of the green persuasion in the area than anything else, perhaps not now.

fatboythree

No , When ah was at school majority Hearts

Old days, Bluebell, Hammy, Seahaven

These days when up Seahaven , Ormelee , Scotties

winston churchill

mines used to be the bottom shop(links tavern) & the golf.

it's now the chain pier & the starbank.

Say What Again

I moved there in '96.

I did expect it to be 'infested' but I reckon the Ellwyn isn't a kick in the arse off 50/50.

Cairneyhill Jambo

The Cairneyhill Inn is fast becoming a howff so drink in the Pitfirrane in Crossford now. Dunfermline, normally the Seven Kings.

When I stayed in Linlithgow, it was either the Football and Cricketers, the Swan or the Hole in the wa'.

Archived