Florida here we come! Can you help?

festerlehearts

davemclaren
Must admit that by the 5th time I had been there I was a bit bored with Disney World. However there is so much more to do in Florida, Tampa Bay, with Busch Gardens is superb, we also split our holidays, with two weeks in Orlando, and two weeks in a villa way down the coast on the Gulf of Mexico (much more laid back down there as well). And the Keys and Everglades are also areas not to be missed, think some people think Florida starts and ends within Orlando.

(Daytona Beach is also a good day out, especially if you are into racing, and get a chance to go round the track at Daytona.)

You driving around the Daytona circuit? :P

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kennedy Space Centre is not too far away and well worth a visit. Check and see if there are any launches when you are there.

chester copperpot

A defo for the Kennedy Space Centre. Although it will be busy, you just have to when you're over there eh?

If you like your Gator's, head to one of the Sanctuary's. I went to Gatorland, bit cheesy, but I enjoyed it. Got to wrestle a gator too (Well it had its mouth taped up and it was tottie wee).

Another I enjoyed was the boggy creek airboat tour. Cracking day/half day out.

Clearwater is an awesome place to visit, and there's fantastic eaterie's there too. A place called Gondolier's does the best Italian food I have ever tasted. Magic.

Dagger Is Back

We're heading off for 3 weeks on 26 June. 2 weeks on I Drive at Holiday Inn and 1 week on St Petes Beach. Can't wait.

Kids have got Nintendo DS on their shopping lists - games at $19.99 - half price or less!

We're only gonna do Universal, Sea World etc. this time round - no Disney Parks (just too much to squeeze in).

Lookig forward to some cool sunsets down on St Petes. Might even hire a Harley for the day.

We're heading off for 3 weeks on 26 June. 2 weeks on I Drive at Holiday Inn and 1 week on St Petes Beach. Can't wait.

Kids have got Nintendo DS on their shopping lists - games at $19.99 - half price or less!

We're only gonna do Universal, Sea World etc. this time round - no Disney Parks (just too much to squeeze in).

Lookig forward to some cool sunsets down on St Petes. Might even hire a Harley for the day.

Heading out on the 26th also.

Got a 4year old who thinks he is spending 2weeks in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and a 14yr old who will not go on any white knuckle rides, so a 3day disney pass and a trip to Busch Gdns for us, the rest of the time will be spent by the pool in our villa at Lakeland (30min drive from Disney but well out of the way of all the razzamataz to relax). Brother in law has been out there since xmas so he has some golf, 4th July party, baseball* etc lined up.

*chester................you can keep yer baw sack.

ait.

As well as the parks, going to see Tampa Rays'something' v The Boston Red Sox Major League baseball.

Thats a war right now and its not finished. A week or so ago in Boston it went on for 2 games, about 10 players suspended. The Red Sox closer (Jon Papelbon) has just this week came out with some talk saying its not over. So it should be interesting. No doubt both teams will be warned my MLB beforehand but I can see this boiling over again

Ivanauskas33

If you do decide to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe at any point, ask the person serving if you can see the John Lennon room. Sometimes you can't because theres a specific function going on, but its well worth asking. They have the piano he used in the Imagine video, some of his gold records, some suits and stuff aswell.

Thats the ones.

My brother in law has been out there on hols since xmas and has been to watch them a few times, said it is a great day out and the Boston Red Sox coming to town is a big event.

Obviously from my avatar I'm a Sox fan so I would say this, but when The Red Sox go to any town its a big deal, They dont call it Red Sox Nation for nothing;)

There will be more Red Sox fans in Tampa than Rays fans. Get yourself online

http://www.yawkeywaystore.com/ and get kitted out before you go

Dagger Is Back
Heading out on the 26th also.

Got a 4year old who thinks he is spending 2weeks in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and a 14yr old who will not go on any white knuckle rides, so a 3day disney pass and a trip to Busch Gdns for us, the rest of the time will be spent by the pool in our villa at Lakeland (30min drive from Disney but well out of the way of all the razzamataz to relax). Brother in law has been out there since xmas so he has some golf, 4th July party, baseball* etc lined up.

*chester................you can keep yer baw sack.

Sounds like a mighty fine plan to me, lazing in the Florida sun with a few ice cold beers - where are you flying from/to?

We've got a 6 YO who thinks she is a Disney Princess, a 9YO who thinks he is John Cena and a couple of 40+ somethings who think they're 12!

Thats a war right now and its not finished. A week or so ago in Boston it went on for 2 games, about 10 players suspended. The Red Sox closer (Jon Papelbon) has just this week came out with some talk saying its not over. So it should be interesting. No doubt both teams will be warned my MLB beforehand but I can see this boiling over again

Will i need to take a baseball bat with me then (for safety) ;)

Sounds like a mighty fine plan to me, lazing in the Florida sun with a few ice cold beers - where are you flying from/to?

We've got a 6 YO who thinks she is a Disney Princess, a 9YO who thinks he is John Cena and a couple of 40+ somethings who think they're 12!

British Airways Edin -Gatwick-Tampa (where we are staying is closer to Tampa than Orlando).

Me and the missus are the same, big kids who can't wait to get there and do the rides, it will be a struggle to keep the 4yr old off them, but as for the 14yr old he won't give any of them a try.:mad:

Dagger Is Back
British Airways Edin -Gatwick-Tampa (where we are staying is closer to Tampa than Orlando).

Me and the missus are the same, big kids who can't wait to get there and do the rides, it will be a struggle to keep the 4yr old off them, but as for the 14yr old he won't give any of them a try.:mad:

We're on the red eye Edinburgh to Gatwick and then off to Orlando. Shame about your eldest one. My 9YO is a bit like that but my 6YO knows no fear - she's a nutter.

Mind you we took them both on the Jurassic Park ride at Animal Kingdom last year, their 1st Orlando ride and they both had the @@@@ scared out of them - thought we'd put them off for life!

We're on the red eye Edinburgh to Gatwick and then off to Orlando. Shame about your eldest one. My 9YO is a bit like that but my 6YO knows no fear - she's a nutter.

Mind you we took them both on the Jurassic Park ride at Animal Kingdom last year, their 1st Orlando ride and they both had the @@@@ scared out of them - thought we'd put them off for life!

We're on an early one from EDIN also.......................we'll be the ones with an older kid with a face tripping him, a youngest who will be trying to fly the plane, and the set of parents with earphones on oblivious.;)

The thing that annoys me with our oldest is he won't try anything, he makes his mind up reading the brochure/maps and thats it........yet i know he would enjoy it, eventually got him on the big one in Blackpool last year after hours of coaxing and he loved it.

Obviously from my avatar I'm a Sox fan so I would say this, but when The Red Sox go to any town its a big deal, They dont call it Red Sox Nation for nothing;)

There will be more Red Sox fans in Tampa than Rays fans. Get yourself online

http://www.yawkeywaystore.com/ and get kitted out before you go

You comin up to Phillie this week?

Prolly not, you won't want to see the 'mighty' Sox get humbled :)

Rab, this is a football (sorry, soccer) site. If you want to discuss the Sox and the Phillies, please go to http://www.glorifiedrounders.com

Thanks. :cool:

Nah Rab, heading to Orlando on Tuesday Would have been fun to sit with Jenn and you as The Red Hot Red Sox slapped around The Phillies:p

Rab, this is a football (sorry, soccer) site. If you want to discuss the Sox and the Phillies, please go to http://www.glorifiedrounders.com

Hey Therapist, That link is just like yer wind-ups........Doesnae Work:dribble:

Would have been fun to sit with Jenn and you

"Jenn" is a strange name for a bloke. :eek: :eek:

"Jenn" is a strange name for a bloke. :eek: :eek:

:eek: What you should know is that Jenn is the one who introduced Rab to baseball and is the one who has to sit explaining the game to him in between him running to get her beer or whatever she sends him for

Guest S.U.S.S.
:eek: What you should know is that Jenn is the one who introduced Rab to baseball and is the one who has to sit explaining the game to him in between him running to get her beer or whatever she sends him for

What the hell is RBI?

What the hell is RBI?

Pronounced RIBBY :dribble:

Runs Batted In. When a batter has someone on base and the batter gets a hit and if anyone who is on base gets home (a run) then the batter gets a RBI for each run scored

What the hell is RBI?

For those of you with NASN, get tuned in, The Red Hot Red Sox are on

Guest S.U.S.S.
Pronounced RIBBY :dribble:

Runs Batted In. When a batter has someone on base and the batter gets a hit and if anyone who is on base gets home (a run) then the batter gets a RBI for each run scored

Thanks mate, one of those things i always meant to google!;)

And for helping, im now a Sox fan!

Woooooo Go Sox!:)

Thanks mate, one of those things i always meant to google!;)

And for helping, im now a Sox fan!

Woooooo Go Sox!:)

Thats good, Go Sox is good, but equally important is YANKEES SUCK

Get yer wife, mistres or girlfriend (or all 3) one of these t-shirts

http://www.yankeessuckgear.com/photogallery/photo16119/Yankees%20Suck%20Hot%20Chic.jpg

Rab, this is a football (sorry, soccer) site. If you want to discuss the Sox and the Phillies, please go to www.glorifiedrounders.com

I may choose to watch grown men hitting a ball with a stick, but at least I'm not watching a bunch of bi-sexual Yooropeans wearing skin tight leather and thrusting their crotches around the place ;)

Dagger Is Back
We're on an early one from EDIN also.......................we'll be the ones with an older kid with a face tripping him, a youngest who will be trying to fly the plane, and the set of parents with earphones on oblivious.;)

The thing that annoys me with our oldest is he won't try anything, he makes his mind up reading the brochure/maps and thats it........yet i know he would enjoy it, eventually got him on the big one in Blackpool last year after hours of coaxing and he loved it.

Sounds like our family. We're like the Adams family on tour. Wee boy will be wearing his HMFC top with Kingston on the back, plugged into his MP4 player. Daughter will be the one talking at 100 decibles and singing her heart out. Wife will be the one trying to keep them quiet and losing the rag and I'll be the one juggling 5 cases, a rucksack and telling the wife to **** off when she asks me if I've got - passports, tickets, did I lock the front door etc.

Maybe you could bribe the oldest one to give things a go? No rides, no spending money.$1 or whatever per attraction?

The Golden Coral I think it was called is a brilliant Diner with apparently the best carrot cake in the world. Never tried it myself though.

MAke sure you hit The Ponderosa as well.

And basically all of the buffet diners.

About $10 per person with refill drinks.

I advise you get the punch as well, tasty stuff.

Haha memories about The Ponderosa... was 10 yrs ago since we been there but we had ordered food and i think the average price of a meal was $7.49 anyways we go through to see all this buffet we help ourselves to that, forgetting about our food we had already ordered... and finally after we stuffed our faces these big plates came with a mountain of food on them.

Great place we also got on with one of the waitress she liked my grandfathers bad jokes and she told even worse ones haha.

Scott (TXJambo) recently moved here from Houston, so there are now two of us in our Hearts shirts, giving as good as we get, but hopelessly outnumbered by the knuckledraggers - even the visiting Hibs fans are decent (Edinburgh biased).

Please bring Scottish Blend Tea Bags! Not for you, for me - and I'd also like one of those Hearts garden gnomes!

Anyway, seems like a lot of Jambo's are familiar with Orlando and central Florida - there is so much to see and do outside of the theme parks - it's worth exploring (now that I'm here, I'm planning on doing that for the rest of my life!)

CC is right about Cocoa Beach, the eye-candy is STUNNING! If you could manage to get a date with one of those honey's, you would be a real PLAYER!:cool:

To all visiting Jambo's - I'm on the east side of Orlando, near UCF, if you can, please contact me - I would love to allow you to buy me a pint - what still impresses me about Orlando, is the service you get, and the quality and standard of food when you dine out - they may posses a certain level of naivet'e, but they are genuinely so damn polite - I've grown to love them!

I-Drive is for tourists - normal Floridians regard it as a rip-off, and won't go anywhere near there - theme park prices for stuff is usually at least double what you can get outside, but the outlet malls do offer some good bargains - travel light, and buy a cheap suitcase when you arrive to fill it with the stuff you bought (or you could mail it back to Scotland)

FYI, here's the translation:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=Naivet%27e

fester, what exactly is a wee ish drink? 3 or 4 12 oz bottles of beer? If you're staying on the west side, it would take me at least 45mins to drive there, and find you - then 45 mins back - for 3 bottles of beer? Doesn't make sense - my suggestion would be to meet you downtown, have a beer, then take you back to my place where you'd admire my Hearts wall of fame, then I'll call a taxi to take you back to you're place in time for you're evening dining experience! I'm talking about you're whole posse, who are also welcome!:)

My kids are 7 and 11 , my Ford Focus can fit 5, got a table tennis table in the garage, a Wii, Cameron's addicted to his Nintendo DS and Super Mario, WTF!

I may choose to watch grown men hitting a ball with a stick, but at least I'm not watching a bunch of bi-sexual Yooropeans wearing skin tight leather and thrusting their crotches around the place ;)

Yeah, I'm at Donington for MotoGP this Saturday and Sunday. :):dribble:

Incidentally, there are three septic leather clad bi-sexuals taking part; Nicky Hayden, John Hopkins (although he's half Brit) and Ben Spies. ;)

Ryan Gosling
Scott (TXJambo) recently moved here from Houston, so there are now two of us in our Hearts shirts, giving as good as we get, but hopelessly outnumbered by the knuckledraggers - even the visiting Hibs fans are decent (Edinburgh biased).

Please bring Scottish Blend Tea Bags! Not for you, for me - and I'd also like one of those Hearts garden gnomes!

Anyway, seems like a lot of Jambo's are familiar with Orlando and central Florida - there is so much to see and do outside of the theme parks - it's worth exploring (now that I'm here, I'm planning on doing that for the rest of my life!)

CC is right about Cocoa Beach, the eye-candy is STUNNING! If you could manage to get a date with one of those honey's, you would be a real PLAYER!:cool:

To all visiting Jambo's - I'm on the east side of Orlando, near UCF, if you can, please contact me - I would love to allow you to buy me a pint - what still impresses me about Orlando, is the service you get, and the quality and standard of food when you dine out - they may posses a certain level of naivet'e, but they are genuinely so damn polite - I've grown to love them!

I-Drive is for tourists - normal Floridians regard it as a rip-off, and won't go anywhere near there - theme park prices for stuff is usually at least double what you can get outside, but the outlet malls do offer some good bargains - travel light, and buy a cheap suitcase when you arrive to fill it with the stuff you bought (or you could mail it back to Scotland)

FYI, here's the translation:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=Naivet%27e

Mac

Stayed in this place Bradenton for 10 days, in a friend's home.

I could live there, no doubt. We left with 2 rucksacks and came back with the rucksacks, a hold-all and two XL suitcases, both which weighed over 35 kilos.

I love shopping there.

:laugh:

dellboy1971

STOP BOASTING ABOUT GOING TO FLORIDA

YOU MUST BE A TAXI DRIVER GOING AWAY BEFORE

THE FESTIVAL STARTS ?????????

festerlehearts
Hi guys of to florida in 3 weeks for our hols wife and 2 skids sorry kids were hittin disney area been 2wice before, well iam thinking maybe some of my fellow jambos could help me a little maybe tell me of a nice place to go for food, a wee ish drink, or do somethin a bit mor adveturice remember i have 2 kids between 12 and 17 thanks hmfc :hobofish:

thanks for all your posts keep them comin.

Mac

I could live there, no doubt. We left with 2 rucksacks and came back with the rucksacks, a hold-all and two XL suitcases, both which weighed over 35 kilos.

I love shopping there.

I spent a couple of weeks last year in Anna Maria Island, just off Bradenton.

Lovely place with incredible beaches. That whole stretch Anna Maria, Long Boat Keys to Sarasota is full of great places to eat and really laid back.

Would love to go back.

Me & my mate are going over 6th Sept flying from Newcastle. We have never been before, we got fed up going over to spain & that all the time.

There seems soooo much to do over there, i wldn't know where to start. think bush gardens sounds a plan.

We are both 25, i know its not a drinking holiday, but there must be a few places were you can get drunk?

We are planning on driving down to miami for a nite out with the kilts on, how long does it take? is it a good idea?

chester copperpot
Me & my mate are going over 6th Sept flying from Newcastle. We have never been before, we got fed up going over to spain & that all the time.

There seems soooo much to do over there, i wldn't know where to start. think bush gardens sounds a plan.

We are both 25, i know its not a drinking holiday, but there must be a few places were you can get drunk?

We are planning on driving down to miami for a nite out with the kilts on, how long does it take? is it a good idea?

Driving from Orlando to Miami is a bit like driving from Edin to London. Very long, down the Florida turnpike, but if you can afford the time, very well worth the time. Some fabby nightlife in Miami, the beaches are well, worth it.

:dribble: I mean well worth it. Go see the Dolphin's stadium. If you're a Dolphin's fan, like me, then its well worth the fee. I loved Dan Marino growing up so well worth it. You wont be able to do it in one trip, so book overnight stay somewhere and enjoy a night oot in Miami.

if you do fancy a bevvy, always carry I.D. they never believe you are legal.

busch gardens is a good shout, theres a wee budweiser brewery their. :dribble:

was there no a bud place at seaworld too.think you got the odd free pint as well.as someone said dont take much clothes as the malls are cheap as chips been twice in the last three years.and enjoyed it.. was there last august bumped in to a couple o jambos too

sayin that there is olso that citywalk at universal plenty pubs and clubs same as downtown disney for night time..but after walking about all day we were to tired and just headed to fridays front row (i think it was that) part o tgi fridays chain.its a sports bar kind o like sportsters.

was there no a bud place at seaworld too.think you got the odd free pint as well.as someone said dont take much clothes as the malls are cheap as chips been twice in the last three years.and enjoyed it.. was there last august bumped in to a couple o jambos too

The folk that own bud also own seaworld

John, heard this funny story about a couple of UK tourists, young looking mother with her daughter - Mum wanted to buy a bottle of wine, looked fairly young, so was asked for ID - didn't have any, so the guy said he couldn't sell it to her - the daughter said in that case, she would buy it, she was over 21 and had her ID with her - the guy said no, because she would probably give it to her Mum!

Even if you are, or look around 30, don't be surprized to be asked for ID - sadly, I've only been asked once...:(

Pablo, the beaches are awesome, as they say (a lot) over here - but it's just a completely different way of life, isn't it? We went to Caladesi beach recently, which at the time was rated the best mainland US beach - very impressive, and unspoilt.:)

I spent a couple of weeks last year in Anna Maria Island, just off Bradenton.

Lovely place with incredible beaches. That whole stretch Anna Maria, Long Boat Keys to Sarasota is full of great places to eat and really laid back.

Would love to go back.

Mac

I love shopping there.

Peanut, have not visited Bradenton yet, but I know what you mean about the general shopping experience - we used to find we end up buying stuff, not because we need it, but because it's so cheap! I nearly bought a full length leather trenchcoat for $99, I didn't need it, that's when I realized I'd just be buying it for the price - I mean, when (and where) would you wear it in Florida? You can even wear shorts and t-shirts at high end restaurants - so, yes, travel light, you can buy a throwaway suitcase for $10 to get you home - my Mum took one of our suitcases home full of "essential" purchases on her last trip, called to say it was basically unusable once she got home, told her to chill, it was no biggie, and remember to travel light on her next trip!:)

dalkeithjambo

Agree with some previous posters that some people think that florida is Orlando. There is so much more.

We try to do 3 weeks over there, 2 weeks at I`Drive and a week down the gulf coast (About an hour and half drive down the interstate 4 and 275.)

We have just got back on monday and considering we have been there 5 years from last 6 that was our best trip.

The parks were all quite quiet considering the normal queues you get.

We stayed at my uncles at Maderia beach for our 3rd chill out week by the beach. This is about halfway between clearwater and st petes beaches. Not really a touristy area yet which is a bonus, you do have johns pass about a mile away which is quite touristy. You can get a sunshine trolley down the most part of gulf beach area, they are very similar to the I`ride trolleys at International drive.

For food i would recommend Charleys steakhouse by the old Mercado, a bit pricey but steaks etc are amazing.

You also have Bubba gumps at citywalk and johns pass. They dont just do shrimp as they advertise, just as well as im not fan of shrimp.

Have to ask any jambos who have been before if they visited the george and dragon pub by wet n wild?, advertised as a british pub but i think its too english so did not go, just wondered what others thought.?

For all going have a good one.

Going in September for the 1st time in 10 years, whats the difference between the intl airport and Sandford, is Sandford much further away from I-Drive ?

dalkeithjambo

Sanford is further out from orlando international, sanford is about 35 miles further out. If you have transfers then its no problem, if you have a car booked then take the lake mary boulevard to the 417 (south) motorway, this is a toll road with tolls varying from 75cents to 1.5 dollars. go south to junction 26 and exit onto 528 again a toll road, leave at junction 8 onto sand lake road (482 road) and this will take you onto international drive.

Hope this helps

Archived