Florida here we come! Can you help?

festerlehearts

festerlehearts

Hi guys of to florida in 3 weeks for our hols wife and 2 skids sorry kids were hittin disney area been 2wice before, well iam thinking maybe some of my fellow jambos could help me a little maybe tell me of a nice place to go for food, a wee ish drink, or do somethin a bit mor adveturice remember i have 2 kids between 12 and 17 thanks hmfc :hobofish:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest S.U.S.S.
Hi guys of to florida in 3 weeks for our hols wife and 2 skids sorry kids were hittin disney area been 2wice before, well iam thinking maybe some of my fellow jambos could help me a little maybe tell me of a nice place to go for food, a wee ish drink, or do somethin a bit mor adveturice remember i have 2 kids between 12 and 17 thanks hmfc :hobofish:

Without wanting to be rude, in the time it took to type that google could have suggested a few things.:)

There is a place called chilis just off Int Drive, about 600 yard along from the Wyndham resort, went there 3 years ago and the food was fantastic, My wife and I got a starter that would feed your family, had to leave most of it to leave room for our main meals.

There was also a steak house on the opposite side of the street, can't remeber the name of it but the steaks were awsome, best I have ever had.

Ryan Gosling

I'm just back from there. Restaurants at Downtown Disney are great, particularly Bongos and House of Blues.

Ten years plus since I've been to Orlando area but if the Outback Steakhouse and Red Lobster chains are still on the go, they're worth a visit.

Ray Winstone

Epcot is a bit rubbish as one of the parks but some of the restaurants down there are the 'shizzle'

I would highly recomend the one in the Mexico area.

chester copperpot

For something a bit different, try heading down to the Old Town on highway 192 on a saturday night. Marker 13 I think (on highway 192). Go on a saturday or friday night. Loads of old school american motors. They do a parade at 10pm which is superb. Its totally free entry, so you can spend as much or as little as you like.

You get nice beer, cheapish food, a magic, busy atmosphere, and there's loads there for the kids too (I say kids, but the adults enjoy the experience too ;)).

I envy you going to Florida, as I am not able to go this year for the first time since 2001.

The Golden Coral I think it was called is a brilliant Diner with apparently the best carrot cake in the world. Never tried it myself though.

MAke sure you hit The Ponderosa as well.

And basically all of the buffet diners.

About $10 per person with refill drinks.

I advise you get the punch as well, tasty stuff.

chester copperpot
thanks guys couple of good one,s there keep them commin :cool:

Depends on what you like. If its the touristy bit of going to Florida, then you cant go wrong with the Disney/Universal experience. If its something not so obvious then thats different.

I fly out two weeks on Monday, cant wait. Going with a family of Hobos though but should be a laugh. We also have two kids 11/15 in both familys. Been before 5 years ago, mainly done the disney parks, this time we have tickets for Universal, sea world + bush gardens. Old town car display is great (192). Ponderosa most morning for breakfast sets you up for the day. Steaks in most places are magic. If you get the chance have a Bloomin Onion its supberb...Have a great trip

BB

festerlehearts
I fly out two weeks on Monday, cant wait. Going with a family of Hobos though but should be a laugh. We also have two kids 11/15 in both familys. Been before 5 years ago, mainly done the disney parks, this time we have tickets for Universal, sea world + bush gardens. Old town car display is great (192). Ponderosa most morning for breakfast sets you up for the day. Steaks in most places are magic. If you get the chance have a Bloomin Onion its supberb...Have a great trip

BB

sounds like you will have a good time. make sure you do the washing for them and put reds in with the greens . you know what i mean ! ;)

have a good time!!

Ryan Gosling
Epcot is a bit rubbish as one of the parks but some of the restaurants down there are the 'shizzle'

I would highly recomend the one in the Mexico area.

I don't think it is - I think the World Showcase plus Test Track, Mission Space and Soarin' puts it up there.

I actually think Animal Kingdom is the best park now, based on the last few weeks.

Ray Winstone
I don't think it is - I think the World Showcase plus Test Track, Mission Space and Soarin' puts it up there.

I actually think Animal Kingdom is the best park now, based on the last few weeks.

Test track was broken the last time I was there - Nightmare!

I am still not convinced its very good - although fireworks display is pretty amazing.

Agree on Animal Kingdom though - absolutely amazing.

Ryan Gosling
Test track was broken the last time I was there - Nightmare!

I am still not convinced its very good - although fireworks display is pretty amazing.

Agree on Animal Kingdom though - absolutely amazing.

I did Test Track 3 times in a row (total wait of 30 mins when the proper queue was 100 mins) on single rider, awesome. I think it's underrated.

Not nearly as much as Animal Kingdom though - not one boring or dull ride in the park, and the Everest single rider is hidden at the side, barely no one knows about it. Rode it 4 times in 20 mins, fantastic ride.

Tower of Terror is still my favourite though.

Mr God Awful Ugly

here's one for Florida veterans, what do you suggest for the 4th July?

Ryan Gosling

Universal's fireworks have been cancelled due to the building of the Harry Potter section so that's out.

I'd avoid the theme parks if you can to be honest, the only days it's busier are Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and Thanksgiving Sunday.

However if you need to go to a park, Epcot would be the best bet as they have a special "America" section in World Showcase where lots of things go on.

Mr God Awful Ugly

thanks, the parks are out for that day I think, looking for an alternative.

chester copperpot

If you're there, spend it with the one's you love, have a barbecue, get some major fireworks in, and enjoy the festivities.

Thats what we did the twice we've been there for the July 4th celebrations. A fantastic day.

Craig-Section Z

I'd avoid the theme parks if you can to be honest, the only days it's busier are Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and Thanksgiving Sunday.

Think i went to one of the water parks last year on the 4th of July, might be a good bet.

Ryan Gosling
Think i went to one of the water parks last year on the 4th of July, might be a good bet.

Good shout. Typhoon Lagoon is open later with extra magic hours as well now if you're staying in Disney, so it would be quiet (but boiling).

Guest juvehearts
The Golden Coral I think it was called is a brilliant Diner with apparently the best carrot cake in the world. Never tried it myself though.

MAke sure you hit The Ponderosa as well.

And basically all of the buffet diners.

About $10 per person with refill drinks.

I advise you get the punch as well, tasty stuff.

yeah i concur with the golen coral its awesome lol

also it depends on what one of the ponderosa's you go to, had a bad experiance with one.

denny's is a MUST for breakfast.

also try cici's just along from 2 brilliant irish pubs one's is sadly a celtic boozer (sells irn-bru) can't remember what its called.

the other is just across the road from it called o'neils, does karioke every night & had pool tables in it which is great for the kids, these are all on I drive the pubs are next to the big spinny things - you cant mis them.

also youve gotta try TFI's. its just the amecrian experiance!

For entertainment, the upside down house is awesome as is crazy golf, the doller is cheap as so try & get to the to big malls - you wont be dissapointed.

Their is a new water park opening/opened up along the road from sea world, looked decent when we were passing it plus their is wet n wild if you have spare day's.

If you havent been then get to universal studios, ride the hulk, the simpsons ride (used to be the indiana jones ride) and the spider man ride.

While the kids are relaxing in Disney Quest get yourslf along to one of the many cocktail bars along the strip. (the best one is at the opposite end of disney quest)

if you are not driving then i'd advise to get to know the bus routes, depending on where you are staying ( i always stay at the best western plaza on I drive) & use the LYNX buses. ( their website is http://www.golynx.com/ ) get the 52 to sea world then the 50 to disney's WTC.

PLEASE dont get in anything other than a licenced taxi the yellow ones IF you dont know where you're going - they just rip you off.

example in september, we were standing outside typhoon Lagoon & no disney buses (missed the last one).

Its a 10 min walk to Downtown disney & theirs some guy's sniffing about in a people carrier, they aproach me........ where you going??......... downtown disney....reply $10 dollers!

now that might not seem too bad considering you dont know the place (its down the end of the car lot) max ($3.60). told him where to go & walked..... someone else took up the offer..... WE ARRIVED THERE BEFORE THEM (outside planet hollywood)

the only downside about the lynx buses is they are every hour, but their is some nice people that come along & offer you a ride to wherever you are going in disney world (unlicensde taxi's) think its about 2$ a pop, they can get 8 in. For them its good buisness ($16 a pop for a 5 min drive).

I think ive covered it for you there but anything else just PM me with questions & ill guide you along!!!

im heading there Again in september for 14 days.

oh one other place to go for cocktails along I drive is a wee place called bahama breeze - youve gotta try the pina colada theyre awesome!!!!!

plus if the kids have never tried a fresh pineapple before go to denny's for breakfast the guy that runs the one to the left of the best western on i drive gets them in from jamacia & theyre 2 days old max!

Better call Saul

BB

Aye well sod you all , Am off to Skeggy in the caravan :dribble: Av been to Florida and compared to Skeggy there is no comparison the cheap Fish n chips the beach the skeggy hight street the candy floss the donkey rides ,,,,,,a bisto ..........:embarassed::embarassed::embarassed:

Fester, get yourself out to Cocoa Beach, and check out this place:

http://www.coconutsonthebeach.com/beach.html

Deep fried bar food, cocktails, eye candy playing beach volleyball, and if you get the right seat, they come and wash off the sand in front of you at the outside shower:dribble:

chester copperpot
Fester, get yourself out to Cocoa Beach, and check out this place:

http://www.coconutsonthebeach.com/beach.html

Deep fried bar food, cocktails, eye candy playing beach volleyball, and if you get the right seat, they come and wash off the sand in front of you at the outside shower:dribble:

Good shout, but if its a beach he's wanting to go to, I'd suggest Daytona beach. Superb. And he can also take in the Racewall experience on his way back home. They do a golf buggy tour of the stadium for about 8 bucks, and its about an hour, so well worth it.

Cocoa beach has some stunning females, and I mean stunning.;)

Don't go to Wild Jack's,was there about 10 year ago when it first open and it was barry.Went back in november after watching the Derby match in the irish bar and it was utter garbage.Try the Black Angus Steak house opp Wet and Wild.

chester copperpot
Don't go to Wild Jack's,was there about 10 year ago when it first open and it was barry.Went back in november after watching the Derby match in the irish bar and it was utter garbage.Try the Black Angus Steak house opp Wet and Wild.

Bit pricey but the steaks are the shizzle.

championsleaguefan

I think TGI Fridays is amazing . The TGI in Edinburgh is expensive but TGI in Florida is cheap and nice feel to it.

Heading out there in a couple of weeks time...................can't wait.

As well as the parks, going to see Tampa 'something' v The Boston Red Sox Major League baseball.

I think TGI Fridays is amazing . The TGI in Edinburgh is expensive but TGI in Florida is cheap and nice feel to it.

My only experience of TGI F Orlando was going their for lunch before heading to the airport for the trip home and the waiter covering me in tomato sauce as he shook the bottle.:mad:

chester copperpot
Heading out there in a couple of weeks time...................can't wait.

As well as the parks, going to see Tampa 'something' v The Boston Red Sox Major League baseball.

Tampa Bay Rays.

Baseball is a great day out. Went to watch Toronto Blue Jays a few years back when I was in Canada.

Tampa Bay Rays.

Baseball is a great day out. Went to watch Toronto Blue Jays a few years back when I was in Canada.

Thats the ones.

My brother in law has been out there on hols since xmas and has been to watch them a few times, said it is a great day out and the Boston Red Sox coming to town is a big event.

Dagger Is Back

Couldn't agree more - we were so disappointed last year when we went back for the first time in 10!

Chilis is the dogs nuts, Black Angus Steakhouse is braw, TGIF is much much better than the one here. I always go to the HRC because the food is OK but the memorabilia on show is awesome - atmosphere there is just brill.

Ponderosa is cheap and cheerful, Dennys was good for brekkie. Bennigans was OK too.

Ray Winstone
Universal's fireworks have been cancelled due to the building of the Harry Potter section so that's out.

However if you need to go to a park, Epcot would be the best bet as they have a special "America" section in World Showcase where lots of things go on.

Tower of Terror is most definitely the 'shizzle' although it seemed quite unpopular the last time I was there as the old man and I went on about 4 times and their was barely a que.

chester copperpot
Busch gardens and Islands of adventure are both tremendous.

Spiderman's still my fav experience of the holidays.

And Gambo, I'd give my right nutsack to go watch a Red Sox game.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Without wanting to be rude, in the time it took to type that google could have suggested a few things.:)

Just a quick Sorry for posting the above, too many threads on here like "when is the next 14 bus?" that people could easily check for themself, this however is different as with food and days out always best to get an opinion if you can.

So, sorry for being Mr Grumpy the other day.:)

chester copperpot
Just a quick Sorry for posting the above, too many threads on here like "when is the next 14 bus?" that people could easily check for themself, this however is different as with food and days out always best to get an opinion if you can.

So, sorry for being Mr Grumpy the other day.:)

No one noticed TBF. ;)

Guest S.U.S.S.
No one noticed TBF. ;)

Aye, but always better to apologise when ur in the wrong.

Christ, could take days!;)

chester copperpot

For me or you? ;)

jambos are go!

Crackerbarrel a mix of store and restaurant was excellent the last time I was there. Great american food at decent prices.

festerlehearts

apoligy accepted not a problem hope i meet a couple o good jambos just like yourself and go for a beer or three when iam there all the best pal HMFC:band2::movethatass::rockon:

Ivanauskas33
For something a bit different, try heading down to the Old Town on highway 192 on a saturday night. Marker 13 I think (on highway 192). Go on a saturday or friday night. Loads of old school american motors. They do a parade at 10pm which is superb. Its totally free entry, so you can spend as much or as little as you like.

You get nice beer, cheapish food, a magic, busy atmosphere, and there's loads there for the kids too (I say kids, but the adults enjoy the experience too ;)).

I envy you going to Florida, as I am not able to go this year for the first time since 2001.

I went there when I was over. I would highly reccomend it aswell

festerlehearts
I went there when I was over. I would highly reccomend it aswell

this i like the sound of i think i will check this out keep them comin guys i am sure lots of you some great stories to tell wish hearts were plain there would be somethin different HMFC OK

portobellojambo1

Must admit that by the 5th time I had been there I was a bit bored with Disney World. However there is so much more to do in Florida, Tampa Bay, with Busch Gardens is superb, we also split our holidays, with two weeks in Orlando, and two weeks in a villa way down the coast on the Gulf of Mexico (much more laid back down there as well). And the Keys and Everglades are also areas not to be missed, think some people think Florida starts and ends within Orlando.

(Daytona Beach is also a good day out, especially if you are into racing, and get a chance to go round the track at Daytona.)

If you want to travel outside Orlando, I suggest taking a drive to Longboat Key on the Gulf side. Eat at a place called the Dry Dock Grill - I can assure you you won't be disappointed. :)

Archived